Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-12-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all
Default Raja hits game winner

The game winner was the only shot he hit all game (1-5), but it was good enough.
Raja Article

Quote:
New Jazz produce classic ending
By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

It's a little suspicious, isn't it? Stripped of their stars, the Jazz need to generate some excitement and sell a few tickets. So their Delta Center debut -- complete with a couple of impressive rookies, a back-and-forth game, and a buzzer-beater to pull out the victory -- smacks a little too coincidentally of NBA Productions, Inc.
But Raja Bell didn't know he was following any script.
Bell spun and floated an 8-foot rainbow into the basket as time expired Saturday, capping an all-around successful preseason home opener with a 90-89 victory over Seattle.
"It's pretty cool," said Bell, who had missed his first four shots on his new home floor before getting open for the game-winner. "The fact I even got the ball was really cool."
That's because Bell last played for Dallas, a team that wouldn't have let him even touch the ball in that situation. But with no Nowitzkis, Nashes and Finleys in Utah, Bell figured he was as good an option as anybody. "I don't even know what option I really was," he said with a laugh.

Andrei Kirilenko led the Jazz with 14 points and seven rebounds, and Carlos Arroyo added 11 in just 19 minutes. But the most surprising contributions came from a couple of rookies who haven't even turned 21 yet.
Sasha Pavlovic, the Jazz's first-round draft pick in July, exhibited far more calm than a 19-year-old should, scoring nine points on 3-for-4 shooting. And Mo Williams, fighting for a roster spot with Weber State guard Jermaine Boyette, made an impression with tough defense, collecting six rebounds and three steals.
"Mo got his hands on the ball, and created a couple of things," said coach Jerry Sloan.
And despite his 6-foot-1 frame, Williams sneaked into the lane to steal away the most important rebound of the night, a missed free throw by Sonics guard Reggie Evans with one second to play.
The rookie had already hit a couple of jumpers in the final 1:35 to keep the Jazz within range, setting up the Jazz's final play. Matt Harpring inbounded the from midcourt, and Bell set a screen for Pavlovic. When his defender followed the rookie, Bell was briefly alone in the lane.
Harpring fired the ball to him, and Bell turned to the basket.
"One second is really a lot of time," Bell said. "I turned over my right shoulder, and there was the big fella [Seattle center Jerome James]. I just tried to get it over. Sometimes when you shoot that floater, you have a tendency to leave it short, so all I was worried about was getting it up and over. And it fell."
The Jazz rushed the floor to mob Bell, the surprisingly large crowd of 16,319 roared, and the officials huddled to watch a replay that confirmed the shot beat the clock.
There's no way to tell how many new fans were won over by the play, but Harpring figures there were a few.
"This is pretty fun," he said of the 2-0 Jazz. "We're going to be a scrappy team, and I know fans appreciate a scrappy team."

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Raja hits game winner

Did you see the picture on the front page of nba.com?

The players swarmed him and it looks like they just won a championshiop instead of a preseason game.

Anyhow, good for Raja. Hope he likes his new digs in Utah.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Raja. One team's spare is another teams savior.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Happy to hear it, ain't gonna happen against us though Raja!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

he ended up 1-5 which sucks for a non-rookie, but I'm happy for him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
he ended up 1-5 which sucks for a non-rookie, but I'm happy for him.
Actually I'd say 1-5 sucks for anyone, but like you Erica I'm happy for him.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

he was more than a scrub for us. he helped try to shed the mavs "soft" label. getting in peoples face and hitting some BIG shots in the playoffs incase some of u seem to forget.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Yippee!

The Super Spare has made himself a home.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:37 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty
he was more than a scrub for us. he helped try to shed the mavs "soft" label. getting in peoples face and hitting some BIG shots in the playoffs incase some of u seem to forget.
He was nothing more than a middle to the end of the bench role player here. A couple of games does not shed the spare label. If he were important, he'd still be wearing Maverick blue.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Wow look at tha love for Raja lol. I just can't get or understand the negativity towards him. I thought he played some good ball in the playoffs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Wow look at tha love for Raja lol. I just can't get or understand the negativity towards him. I thought he played some good ball in the playoffs.
If we had a better bench then Bell would have never seen the court. Bell wouldn't get 5 minutes per game with THIS team.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Quote:
If we had a better bench then Bell would have never seen the court. Bell wouldn't get 5 minutes per game with THIS team.
True.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:56 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:

That may be true, but he produced when he was on the court. You won't find his production in statistics.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That may be true, but he produced when he was on the court. You won't find his production in statistics.
I'd rather have more talented players. Ones who DO produce statistics. But I liked Bell in an underdog kind of way.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

Yep statistics are numbers... sometimes they dont add up. watching the playoffs you can see raja was way more than just a spare.
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:14 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty
Yep statistics are numbers... sometimes they dont add up. watching the playoffs you can see raja was way more than just a spare.
1 game does not a spare label remove. And if you're 1 for 5 in your best game, then I'm sorry you're a spare.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wish Raja well in Utah. He did the job he was asked to do, but we were able to replace him with players that will fill his role and then some. And it didn't cost much more.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:50 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
I wish Raja well in Utah. He did the job he was asked to do, but we were able to replace him with players that will fill his role and then some. And it didn't cost much more.

I totally agree with every word MFF. I really think that most of the posters wish Raja well also. He plays hard and gives it his all. But still this can only overcome a limited amount of talent difference.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #19
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Like Nick Van Exel... I loved Raja until he left the Mavs... THEN trashed them.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

We called Raja a spare all alst year. We also gave him serious props when he had a game or two of decent production.....but that doesn't change the fact that he was a spare on last years team. It's not a knock on the guy. He just wasn't a starter or a consistent contributor. Ergo...he was a spare part.

Maybe he won't be a spare for Utah.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Which is probably why he didn't remain a Maverick, I really don't blame him.

MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:49 PM   #22
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Good for Raja and I am glad he is still in the NBA. I really admire the players who don't have fame and fortune handed to them. Raja worked his butt off to make it to the NBA. After playing in numerous leagues around the world Raja has made it as a situational player. Player's like Raja and Griffen are the types of player a lot of the younger players should look up to. Very few can be a Dirk, KG, or Duncan. Although players like Raja and Griffen look for niches on teams and then work their butts off when given the opportunity. Raja's spot on the Mavs won't be missed, but I always like hearing the stories of players who take the road less traveled to the NBA.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:46 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

God bless Raja Bell....he saved my puppy and gave me popcorn....and then hit the game winner

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
God bless Raja Bell....he saved my puppy and gave me popcorn....and then hit the game winner
Did he help your grandma across the street to? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

yes, but only after he bought her a new blue wig...what a guy!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote