Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2015, 02:26 AM   #1
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold
Default Danny Green

Since its rumoured a lot and most people like him here i think he deserves an own thread.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...-On-East-Coast

He has the finals record in three pointers made and he is the only player ever to average >.400 %3, 10p 4r 2a 1s and 1bl in less than 30minutes.

Green ranks as an elite defender by virtually every advanced statistical measure..Synergy has him as a top 4 best 1 on 1 wing defender in the league among starters

He can nail 3's on one end and lock up Steph Curry on the other end. He is so good at defensive transition, he actually stopped Lebron repeatedly the fast break. He led all shooting guards in blocked shots.

Actually if the price is right (lets say 10M per) i would bring him in together with someone like Mo Williams (Lawson seems unrealistic) and a solid Backup on the PF/C spot like Amir Johnson.

I think we would be better off with that scenario than paying a Max to Aldridge who is bad on defense and isnt the future anyway (30+).

Keep the Pick and draft a solid role player on a position of need or get rid of the pick+ Feltons Salary to have even more Capspace to improve the team.

Mo Williams/Barea/Felton
Green/Harris/Jefferson
Parsons/Aminu
Dirk/Johnson/Powell
Chandler/James

+ 21st Pick in the Draft (probably should go for a PF/C in that scenario).

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
DirkMFFL

DirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these parts

Can't pass or attack the basket. 3 years 21 million at max. Anything more is overpaying like they did with Parsons. Rockets and Spurs fans would laugh at us.

Last edited by DirkMFFL; 06-25-2015 at 02:34 AM.
DirkMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:41 AM   #3
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMFFL View Post
Can't pass or attack the basket. 3 years 21 million at max. Anything more is overpaying like they did with Parsons. Rockets and Spurs fans would laugh at us.
Actually Spurs Fans would pay him 10-12 easily.

You have to pay market value for a Top3 Wing Defender and arguably the best 3&D Player in the league.

Baller from the G'
Old 06-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Actually Spurs Fans would pay him 10-12 easily.

You have to pay market value for a Top3 Wing Defender and arguably the best 3&D Player in the league.
This. From what I have seen from spurs fans around the various sites is that 10-12 would be acceptable. Many citing that he is the most underrated player on the roster currently.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
This. From what I have seen from spurs fans around the various sites is that 10-12 would be acceptable. Many citing that he is the most underrated player on the roster currently.
I think 10 may be the figure Spurs are willing to match and 12 is to convince him to leave Spurs.

But I don't get why people are even arguing about Green. Green looks to just resemble 3&D player in this forum. I doubt anyone is going to be seriously disappointed if Mavs get Matthews instead of Green. So when people talk about Green they just mean 3&D guy. There isn't much point in arguing how much to pay for one or the other if plan A is to get Jordan or LMA.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see why he would leave the Spurs...or why the Spurs dont keep him. They can get LMA for the max, offer Green and Duncan more than decent money and give then Leonard via bird rights at the end his max deal...

Parker
Green
Leonard
LMA
Duncan

Better than anything the Mavs could pull together this summer...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Why would the Spurs pay 10 million for a guy they pulled off the street and molded into a very good player? They've proved time and time again they can do it. Why not let Green walk and find another cast-off for cheap?
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

This "very good" player was one rare giant Pop brainfart away from being the finals MVP in 2013...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'm so confused to why people would give him 10 million a year. He seems like a system player that benefits from that Spurs offense. I'd give Kawhi Leonard 10 million at least. Green is nowhere near the caliber of him.

I was thinking more in the 4 to mid level exception range for him.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I'm so confused to why people would give him 10 million a year. He seems like a system player that benefits from that Spurs offense. I'd give Kawhi Leonard 10 million at least. Green is nowhere near the caliber of him.

Kawhi is getting max money. Green would laugh and hang up the phone if we offered him $4mil/year.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

is it wrong that i still dislike the guy for hanging out with LeDouche and Diva at the club mere hours after losing to them in the finals in particularly heartbreaking fashion?

Last edited by mac222b; 06-25-2015 at 12:15 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
sefant77
Guru

Quote:

Teams are going to pre-spend the cap spike. So get used to it that teams are going to pay the new prices allready in this summer.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:

Maybe your just not familiar with how valuable someone who can spread the floor by hitting 2.5 threes a game @ 42% rate while playing some of the best perimeter defense in the league. Keep in mind you have to overpay some because of how drastic the cap has and is shifting.

And yeah 10 million a year to Kawhi? C'mon man you crazy

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 06-25-2015 at 05:00 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMFFL View Post
Agreed, one trick pony, spot up shooter. Turnover machine when he's forced to handle.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
sefant77
Guru

If we have Lawson, Parsons and Dirk we dont need Green to create anything...
Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

After drafting Anderson, I'm thinking we can focus on re-signing Aminu and let Green slide -- Parsons/Aminu/Anderson would pretty much cover the wings.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-25-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I'm not sure why people think Anderson makes our wing rotation any less set, Aminu in all likelihood is going to spend most of his time at the 4. Anderson was drafted to come off the bench. We still need a impact starting SG.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #18
GermanStandard

Not ruling Green out but the likeliness of him coming to the Mavs is small now.

I still think DeAndrea and LMA are #1 for the Mavs and they will get neither as usual.

Baller from the G'
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Agreed, one trick pony, spot up shooter. Turnover machine when he's forced to handle.
Why does this matter? He's so freaking good at his role.

Last edited by mavs777; 06-26-2015 at 08:59 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #20
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Not ruling Green out but the likeliness of him coming to the Mavs is small now.

I still think DeAndrea and LMA are #1 for the Mavs and they will get neither as usual.
I'm actually liking our odds for deandre after reading an article. Deandre and Green would be a very good offseason

Last edited by mavs777; 06-26-2015 at 09:00 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Kawhi is getting max money. Green would laugh and hang up the phone if we offered him $4mil/year.
Then i'd let him laugh. I'm suppose to believe that Green is a upgrade from Monta Ellis who was making less than that a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Teams are going to pre-spend the cap spike. So get used to it that teams are going to pay the new prices allready in this summer.
I understand that but 10 million seems a bit excessive. Or so I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Maybe your just not familiar with how valuable someone who can spread the floor by hitting 2.5 threes a game @ 42% rate while playing some of the best perimeter defense in the league. Keep in mind you have to overpay some because of how drastic the cap has and is shifting.

And yeah 10 million a year to Kawhi? C'mon man you crazy
How valuable it is? Every team in the playoffs had one. Some teams had 3 or 4 guys who could play defense and hit the 3. For 10 million a year I just believe you have to have more to your game than hit the open 3 and play defense.

And yeah of course Kawhi will get more but that's my point. He's worth the 10-14 million a year. He's that caliber of player. Green is nowhere near that so for him to get 10 million?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
mavs777
Diamond Member

Um yes Danny Green is pretty clearly better than Monta, he is much more efficient, a knock down shooter, and is a lock down defender. Man this board is seriously underrating him. He's really freaking good.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Um yes Danny Green is pretty clearly better than Monta, he is much more efficient, a knock down shooter, and is a lock down defender. Man this board is seriously underrating him. He's really freaking good.
I just think in 2015, the slasher/jump shooter is more valuable than the open 3 point shooter and who can play defense.

I guess if our team had a few more scoring options i'd be okay with it but I just don't feel comfortable going into the season is that Dirk, Parsons and Green are my 3 best scoring options.

For all of Monta's flaws....he was a legit threat on offense that teams had to worry about.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #24
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then i'd let him laugh. I'm suppose to believe that Green is a upgrade from Monta Ellis who was making less than that a year?
Monta was signed on a bargain contract because he had very little value as a chucker from the Bucks. He was also signed to that contract with a Salary cap around 60mill... I do not consider Green better than Monta but you are comparing a contract of 8-9mill on a 60-66m cap to a 10mill contract on a 89-109m cap this makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

Quote:
How valuable it is? Every team in the playoffs had one. Some teams had 3 or 4 guys who could play defense and hit the 3. For 10 million a year I just believe you have to have more to your game than hit the open 3 and play defense.
If it is so common then why are there exactly 2 of them in free agency this year? On top of that Danny Green is 41% from deep and is a top defender not just a good one, while Mavs best were 38% and nowhere near that level of a defender.

Quote:
And yeah of course Kawhi will get more but that's my point. He's worth the 10-14 million a year. He's that caliber of player. Green is nowhere near that so for him to get 10 million?
Again... Green was given a 4mill a year deal as a guy who played about 18mins a game and showed potential to be a great 3 and D guy. He then rose to be arguably one of the top 2-3 3 and D guys in the NBA. The market of Ariza at 7-8 mill is what he would probably make if the cap was still 60million area.

-If 8/63m is considered market value.... Then 10/89 and then 12/109 is not an over pay at all... I do not understand why this is hard to follow.
-Kawhi's max is 15... if his max was 20 he'd be getting 20 with this new cap.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just think in 2015, the slasher/jump shooter is more valuable than the open 3 point shooter and who can play defense.
Well, the 2015 NBA Champions just proved otherwise.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Monta was signed on a bargain contract because he had very little value as a chucker from the Bucks. He was also signed to that contract with a Salary cap around 60mill... I do not consider Green better than Monta but you are comparing a contract of 8-9mill on a 60-66m cap to a 10mill contract on a 89-109m cap this makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

If it is so common then why are there exactly 2 of them in free agency this year? On top of that Danny Green is 41% from deep and is a top defender not just a good one, while Mavs best were 38% and nowhere near that level of a defender.

Again... Green was given a 4mill a year deal as a guy who played about 18mins a game and showed potential to be a great 3 and D guy. He then rose to be arguably one of the top 2-3 3 and D guys in the NBA. The market of Ariza at 7-8 mill is what he would probably make if the cap was still 60million area.

-If 8/63m is considered market value.... Then 10/89 and then 12/109 is not an over pay at all... I do not understand why this is hard to follow.
-Kawhi's max is 15... if his max was 20 he'd be getting 20 with this new cap.
Its not that its hard to follow. I understand what i'm saying. Danny Green is not worth 10 million a year I don't care what the inflation is.

I just fail to see how these guys are in high demand when everyone in the playoffs was putting up 100+ a game. You should be thinking scoring as opposed to defense. Especially when you can't even look at Lebron or Harden without them going to the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Well, the 2015 NBA Champions just proved otherwise.
The NBA Champions also have Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Igudola, Harrison Barnes and Draymon Green. Danny Green is nowhere near the caliber of any of those guys and none of those guys are one dimensional on offense either.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #27
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just fail to see how these guys are in high demand when everyone in the playoffs was putting up 100+ a game. You should be thinking scoring as opposed to defense. Especially when you can't even look at Lebron or Harden without them going to the line.
It has to be both it can't be just Offense. Mavs were great at offense and at the bottom on defense and look what happened. Only Cleveland got away with not being a good defensive team. Because they have the best player on the planet.

Quote:
The NBA Champions also have Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Igudola, Harrison Barnes and Draymon Green. Danny Green is nowhere near the caliber of any of those guys and none of those guys are one dimensional on offense either.
Every single guy you named is either already paid more than 10m or if their contract was up right now would get paid way more than 10.

It's your opinion to not think he is worth 10. I'm just betting 30 NBA teams are willing to easily pay 10 for a 3 and D in the new cap if the old cap had them at 7-8. Especially if he has position flex in today's NBA.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #28
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Mavs blue looks good on everyone.

Monta looks great in indy, looks overpaid in trash Heat.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #29
mavs777
Diamond Member

Danny Green would be underpaid at 10 million
Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #30
Underdog

@kenberger: If there’s a fear among Spurs executives, it’s that they won’t have enough room left to retain Danny Green, who has attracted interest from the Mavs, Blazers and Pistons, sources said.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-29-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #31
sefant77
Guru

The problem if Green getsa big offer straight at the beginning of the FA. His cap hold is around 7m...

Spurs plan is of course first blowing their free cap space (minus Green and Leonard cap holds) and then going over the cap re-signing them (with Leonard obv max money).

Thats why i think the Mavs wanna offer Green as fast as possible big money (after the LMA/Jordan decisions).
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

More I think about it the more I want green, dude is one of the best shooters statistically of all time, he's a lock down defender, he's not just a 3 and D player, he's an elite 3 and D guy. Him at 12 million I would be more than content with, at 10 million would be beyond ecstatic. He was the 4th best SG in the NBA in adjust real plus minus (Monta was 15th). He'd be a big upgrade over monta.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #33
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Him at 12 million I would be more than content with, at 10 million would be beyond ecstatic.
Especially if the reports of Afflalo's market being in the 3 year 36-38m range is true. I'd pay Green more than I would Afflalo.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #34
Underdog

Quote:
More I think about it the more I want green, dude is one of the best shooters statistically of all time, he's a lock down defender, he's not just a 3 and D player, he's an elite 3 and D guy. Him at 12 million I would be more than content with, at 10 million would be beyond ecstatic. He was the 4th best SG in the NBA in adjust real plus minus (Monta was 15th). He'd be a big upgrade over monta.
If you're going to get a guy who's only good at 1 or 2 things, you might as well get the guy who's the best at those 1 or 2 things.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-29-2015 at 10:32 PM.