Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #41
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartywithDirk View Post
Is Singh your brother? I can't think of any other reason why you're taking this so personally.
Did Signh steal your girlfriend? Why would YOU feel so impelled to crap on the pick and tell me that Upshaw was better despite the fact that Singh has yet to see the court AND guys like Upshaw were not only skipped over by a handful of teams, but also have noted baggage (dogging it, low-IQ, low-character, etc.)

Quote:
My opinion is we had better options.
That's fine. I respect opinions when they are based in reality. You said Upshaw, Woods, and Alexander were better. None of them were drafted so we didn't miss out on a single one. Perhaps there is a gem amongst that group. Perhaps they weren't drafted for a reason. Who knows? The point is, that we didn't miss out on an opportunity to snag them and therefore there may not be any good in drafting Singh, but there wasn't any harm either. I then asked which of the eight guys we actually missed out on were better and you didn't answer. I'm still waiting on that one.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #42
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We tried. BG, Fish, and others have documented that we looked to move up, but teams wanted future picks for the privilege.
And what's wrong with that? If the notion is that you couldn't draft a Lance Stephenson or a Chandler Parsons or a Draymon Green because you thought they had skill then why not trade future 2nd round picks for them?

Like I said, i'm not knocking them for not finding these rare talents. But you can't even get these guys with the approach the Mavs take to the draft.

All of these guys we have interest in or had interest in....Danny Green, Parsons who we signed, Lance Stephenson, Deandre Jordan......all 2nd round picks.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #43
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Like I said, i'm not knocking them for not finding these rare talents. But you can't even get these guys with the approach the Mavs take to the draft.

All of these guys we have interest in or had interest in....Danny Green, Parsons who we signed, Lance Stephenson, Deandre Jordan......all 2nd round picks.
What is their approach to the draft? Do you know of a guy they could have traded up to if they were willing to trade?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #44
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do the Spurs get way too much draft credit? Have you seen the players their organization has drafted despite having terrible picks year in and out?
Go ask a Spurs fan how much they love draft and stash players. I said they get too much credit, not that they are inept or even average just that they get too much credit. They draft players who fit their system and I applaud that. That's as far as my admiration for their draft goes.

They constantly traded rights to picks for stash players or to simply preserve space and such for a shot at landing Jason Kidd. Which Mavs fans here rip the Mavs for doing the exact same thing with DH12 and such but whatever... Spurs are genius's because they did exactly what we did... failed at it like we did... but wound up winning anyway which we did also, they just won multiple times because their core was better and established many years ago.

Just for the record... since Parker in 2001- the 1st Rounders(I won't list every second Rounder because literally it's a draft and stash fest that leads to nothing.) are as follows.....

-Drafted John Salmons but traded in a draft day trade for Speedy Claxton.
-Drafted Barbosa but traded him in draft day trade to Spurs for future 1st. That 1st was subsequently traded with Malik Rose to the Knicks which wound up being David Lee for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.
-Drafted Beno Udrih who did nothing for them and later turned in to a solid backup now with Memphis.
-Drafted Mahinmi, who they let walk and go to Dallas to get his rang then get overpaid by Indy to sit on a bench.
-Drafted Splitter as a stash player and 3 years later he came over. He has developed into a quality player.
-Drafted George Hill, who was used to acquire Leonard in a draft trade later on.
-Spurs often get credit for Dragic by fans who don't know any better than just his profile states. He was actually a pick used by Suns in a draft trade with Spurs for Malik Hairston, I won't even bother comparing the two.
-Drafted James Anderson, amounted to absolutely nothing.
-Drafted Cory Joseph who after 4 years has worked up to 18mpg and *seems* like a quality backup possibly.
-Drafted Liveo Jean-Charles, you guessed it... A Stash.
-Last year Kyle Anderson. Who since he was drafted by the Spurs was seen as an absolute steal so we will wait and see.
-Ill add that Dejuan Blair was serviceable as a rebounding undersized player who has a role at least.

I give them credit for picking guys who fit their system, and for the previous finds of Parker and Ginobili and obviously the trading of George Hill for Leonard. Again I merely said they get too much credit. I'm not crediting them with DR's injury sub-sequential luck lotto pick with 3rd worst record ending in TD and then slew of awful picks that go overlooked as they preserved cap for pie in the sky ideas like Kidd which mirror our own.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-26-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #45
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

If the Singh pick gives us an edge getting a yes from DeAndre because they share an agent, it is a good pick. Parsons down in Houston working DeAndre. Hoping he delivers.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #46
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Go ask a Spurs fan how much they love draft and stash players. I said they get too much credit, not that they are inept or even average just that they get too much credit. They draft players who fit their system and I applaud that. That's as far as my admiration for their draft goes.

They constantly traded rights to picks for stash players or to simply preserve space and such for a shot at landing Jason Kidd. Which Mavs fans here rip the Mavs for doing the exact same thing with DH12 and such but whatever... Spurs are genius's because they did exactly what we did... failed at it like we did... but wound up winning anyway which we did also, they just won multiple times because their core was better and established many years ago.

Just for the record... since Parker in 2001- the 1st Rounders(I won't list every second Rounder because literally it's a draft and stash fest that leads to nothing.) are as follows.....

-Drafted John Salmons but traded in a draft day trade for Speedy Claxton.
-Drafted Barbosa but traded him in draft day trade to Spurs for future 1st. That 1st was subsequently traded with Malik Rose to the Knicks which wound up being David Lee for Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer.
-Drafted Beno Udrih who did nothing for them and later turned in to a solid backup now with Memphis.
-Drafted Mahinmi, who they let walk and go to Dallas to get his rang then get overpaid by Indy to sit on a bench.
-Drafted Splitter as a stash player and 3 years later he came over. He has developed into a quality player.
-Drafted George Hill, who was used to acquire Leonard in a draft trade later on.
-Spurs often get credit for Dragic by fans who don't know any better than just his profile states. He was actually a pick used by Suns in a draft trade with Spurs for Malik Hairston, I won't even bother comparing the two.
-Drafted James Anderson, amounted to absolutely nothing.
-Drafted Cory Joseph who after 4 years has worked up to 18mpg and *seems* like a quality backup possibly.
-Drafted Liveo Jean-Charles, you guessed it... A Stash.
-Last year Kyle Anderson. Who since he was drafted by the Spurs was seen as an absolute steal so we will wait and see.
-Ill add that Dejuan Blair was serviceable as a rebounding undersized player who has a role at least.

I give them credit for picking guys who fit their system, and for the previous finds of Parker and Ginobili and obviously the trading of George Hill for Leonard. Again I merely said they get too much credit. I'm not crediting them with DR's injury sub-sequential luck lotto pick with 3rd worst record ending in TD and then slew of awful picks that go overlooked as they preserved cap for pie in the sky ideas like Kidd which mirror our own.
Maybe I give them too much credit too because i'm looking at those list of players....George Hill, Kwahi Leonard, Tiago Splitter, Dejuan Blair, Manu Ginobilli, Tony Parker and Luis Scola all while having terrible draft picks? I don't think you can find a contender who drafted better in that same span.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #47
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe I give them too much credit too because i'm looking at those list of players....George Hill, Kwahi Leonard, Tiago Splitter, Dejuan Blair, Manu Ginobilli, Tony Parker and Luis Scola all while having terrible draft picks? I don't think you can find a contender who drafted better in that same span.
Seriously... I'm so glad you just ignored where I said Since Parker in 2001...

Everyone knows they got good finds in Parker and Ginobili. The point was that AFTER drafting Parker they have Leonard and Splitter since 2001. Idk why you named Scola as he never played one second for the Spurs since they traded his rights for... shockingly... another euro stash who also never played 1 minute for the Spurs. The point is since 2001 they have done exactly what the Mavs have... do nothing in the draft that would in any way compromise cap flexibility and chase free agents. They chased Kidd we chased DH12/Cp3/Dwill. Splitter himself was a 3 year stash and even now is a guy who on his best season, 2 years ago, averaged 10 points and 6 rebs.

--edit--
Re-reading this It comes off as a bit harsh, I wasn't going for harsh just trying to clarify the start date of where I'm saying they "get too much credit".

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-26-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #48
DirkMFFL

DirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these parts

While mavs are signing a 10 year D-league player for a publicity stunt, the Rockets just signed a 6"11 PF named Christian Wood as an undrafted free agent. We sure could have used a young backup behind Dirk. Great job Mark Cuban Great job.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...230538063.html
DirkMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 AM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMFFL View Post
While mavs are signing a 10 year D-league player for a publicity stunt, the Rockets just signed a 6"11 PF named Christian Wood as an undrafted free agent. We sure could have used a young backup behind Dirk. Great job Mark Cuban Great job.

We do have a young big behind Dirk... His name is Dwight Powell, and he was the #45 pick in 2014 -- not some undrafted piece of trash that blew into Houston, TX.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-27-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #50
DirkMFFL

DirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these parts

@Underdog

My point is we could have used that pick toward a player who might actually have a chance to play for the mavs one day. If you watched any of the Cubans interviews after the mavs signed Singh, you could see he was not serious about playing him ever and just did it to make more money. You can find talent late in the draft. Some examples are

Manu Ginobli = #57
Isaiah Thomas = #60
Chandler Parsons = #38
DeAndre Jordan = #35
Draymond Green = #35

My point is there is value in the 2nd round but Cuban did not care. I just want him to take the draft more serious.
DirkMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 AM   #51
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
@Underdog

My point is we could have used that pick toward a player who might actually have a chance to play for the mavs one day. If you watched any of the Cubans interviews after the mavs signed Singh, you could see he was not serious about playing him ever and just did it to make more money. You can find talent late in the draft. Some examples are

Manu Ginobli = #57
Isaiah Thomas = #60
Chandler Parsons = #38
DeAndre Jordan = #35
Draymond Green = #35

My point is there is value in the 2nd round but Cuban did not care. I just want him to take the draft more serious.
Those other players you listed... you made the case of giving a player like Satnam a shot. I don't think you noticed the no risk in too.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #52
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

A little devil's advocate here:

I think it's fairly obvious that Bharama's drafting was at the very least 50% for the publicity. So now the Mavs, theoretically, will have a huge following in India. That's a whole new market. Advertisers love markets. A player signing with the Mavs may now have a shot at more sponsorship dollars thanks to this signing. Is it possible that might be a small factor in convincing DJ or LMA or someone else to sign here?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
A little devil's advocate here:

I think it's fairly obvious that Bharama's drafting was at the very least 50% for the publicity. So now the Mavs, theoretically, will have a huge following in India. That's a whole new market. Advertisers love markets. A player signing with the Mavs may now have a shot at more sponsorship dollars thanks to this signing. Is it possible that might be a small factor in convincing DJ or LMA or someone else to sign here?
Now there's an interesting thought... Obviously a fanbase in India benefits Mark Cuban's bank account, but it can certainly benefit our players too. Remember when McGrady kept getting All-Star votes from Yao's fanbase in China after his body started breaking down? I wonder if Monta would have been an All-Star last year if he had the benefit of an India bump? Not to mention the added jersey sales and whatnot... It's definitely another thing for these FAs to consider when taking a look at Dallas.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #54
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

Who said Singh is getting signed? Did I miss something?

Also, Wood is an a&$hole. He may have talent, but he doesn't play well with others and has no self control. Keep up the pro-Houston-anti-Mavs chants, though, before either one has even played a minute.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-27-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #55
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dwain Price ‏@DwainPrice 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

"I think we've historically have done well with European players, so why not get another one." -- #Mavs G Devin Harris on Satnam Singh

But Dirk of course...

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki
‏@swish41

Dirk Nowitzki retweet Dwain Price

Nice one devin...

Last edited by sefant77; 06-27-2015 at 04:18 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #56
Underdog

But they drink tea in India... Surely they're located somewhere near England!