Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll: Which AJ trade would you make?

Apologies to all who have their eyes on three or more team trades. Thought they were too complicated for the poll, but feel free to list them if you like them. Tried to keep these sort of within the realm of the plausible, though I realize they vary in that respect.

For what it's worth, my number one trade would be to wait until JO becomes available, but I can't quite believe that one's realistic, so I didn't list it. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2003, 09:15 PM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE: Poll: Which AJ trade would you make?

There is no way I could ever want Rasheed Wallace on this team after his recent remarks. I chose the Aj for BB and Jerome James although out of all the trade scenarios out there I would still prefer the Dal/Mem/Cleveland trade where we give up AJ and Delk and in return get Lorenzo Wright, Chris Mihm, and Bo Outlaw.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I voted on the AJ for Charlie Ward/Kurt Thomas deal only if we make the 'possible' Best for Ely trade as well.

Ward could be insurance for losing Best. We'd be losing AJ, but we'd have both Thomas and Ely for upfront help.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:33 AM   #4
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I voted kurt thomas and ward...cause of what MFF said and also because wards contract comes off the books after this year which makes him a hot trading comodity
Old 12-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Poll: Which AJ trade would you make?

There's several that I like, a couple that I wouldn't do, but I also wonder about the possibility of many. It's hard to choose between a trade that you like and think can happen and one that you may like a little better but don't see happening.

I'm all for shopping AJ, but we should only trade him if we find a good deal. ie one that helps fill holes where AJ's talent even if used at it's best doesn't cover. AJ is primarily a scrorer. He does bring some nice rebouding, principally on the offensive end which is good. However he is average to weeker than average on the defensive end. Since he's not able to get the minutes to contribute heavily offensively, and to tell the truth we really don't need him to that much, he's a luxary that we're only able to get partial vallue out of. To the right team AJ can be tons more valuable than he is to us. He really does have some nice talent and skills. We just have an overabundance of most of those talents and skills.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for Wallace. I think his skill and ability would fit best.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

I just can't vote for Wallace. I would find it difficult to be a Mavs fan with him wearing the blue and white.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 PM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Id like to bring K-mart back to dallas. He doesn't need the ball to be effective but has a good low post game.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I like the AJ for Barry and Booth. Booth is a legitimate center and him and Bradley are a pretty good duo. But Barry would be a great bench guy. He can run the point when Nash is on the bench, he can play shooting guard when Fin is resting.....

A rotation of

Bradley-24 Booth-24
Dirk-38 Walker-10
Walker-28 Howard-20
Finley-35 Barry-13
Nash-30 Barry 18

That's a very balanced team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:47 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
I just can't vote for Wallace. I would find it difficult to be a Mavs fan with him wearing the blue and white.
you fanship in contingent upon one player???? I HATE YOU...............

I voted for wallace just to piss cow off......actually I think he would be great here.....but Walker and Sheed would either be boys or rivals....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
I like the AJ for Barry and Booth. Booth is a legitimate center and him and Bradley are a pretty good duo. But Barry would be a great bench guy. He can run the point when Nash is on the bench, he can play shooting guard when Fin is resting.....

A rotation of

Bradley-24 Booth-24
Dirk-38 Walker-10
Walker-28 Howard-20
Finley-35 Barry-13
Nash-30 Barry 18

That's a very balanced team.
I'd be happy with this trade as well, but I think with Nellie you'd see more of Howard and less of Bradley. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I guess...
Old 12-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for Brent Barry and Jerome James. Brent would be alot better than Best or Delk off the bench and then we would be free to do the Best Ely trade without worrying about the backup pg position. Also, as much as I hate to think about it we could then trade Finley.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:26 AM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Good poll because I don't think there's an obvious answer.

I went with Ratliff and Stephen Jackson.

If we're going to trade AJ, I want a center in return. Ratliff is flawed in that he's not a good rebounder, but he's still a great shot blocker and probably a better on the ball defender then our only true center.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:43 AM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I guess since I started the darn thing I ought to reason it out a bit. Here goes:

Barry and Booth - this is probably my second favorite, and one of the most intriguing. I like Booth. Nice shot blocker and rebounder. Not a scorer, but has enough range on his shot to not be a liability. I think he'd round out our center lineup nicely. Barry's the one that makes it really interesting. The resulting guard rotation makes me giddy. My concern would be Nellie playing Fin at the three a lot, but my hope would be that the vacated SF minutes go to Howard, who absolutely deserves them.

Rasheed - this one got my vote. It's a gamble, we all know why, but talent wise this one is clearly the winner. With Sheed's ability to play inside and outside, his size, and his defensive abilities, I wouldn't at all mind starting and closing with a lineup of Nash, Fin, AW, Dirk, and Sheed, and it would unquestionably be the single most fearsome lineup in the league. A sort of odd upside to Sheed is that he comes from a team that was loaded with talent, and that he has, if anything, proved to be a little too unselfish out on the court, even if he is a blockhead more often than I would like. We're stuck with Best and Delk backing up the point, but with the frontcourt this would give us, I think we'd be allright. For those who favor this one, here's a question: If the Blazers wanted AJ and Najera instead of AJ and TAW, do you still like the trade?

KMart - I'd definitely do this one. KMart's a good rebounder, he can block shots, defends well, and is capable offensively. I definitely think he'd be a better fit for the team, even if I'd stop short of saying this would be a move that unquestionably puts us over the top since he's a little undersized, and would be unlikely to help our half-court offensive excecution much (sure wouldn't hurt our breaks, though, would he?). This is probably my third choice.

Ward and Thomas - I'd probably say no to this one. Another option at point would be nice, but I just don't think Thomas would help much beyond what we have, and talent-wise we're taking a hit. I'd rather be patient with AJ, and sign a FA center next year than give him up for a backup point, and another undersized, foul-prone center who's not going to do anything to discourage layup drills.

Tag and Harpring - The argument against is that Tag will be a FA, and potentially in our range, next year. True, but as LRB pointed out in the thread where he introduced this possibility, there are no guarantees in FA. I also like Harpring's game quite a bit. Thing is, though, I like Howard, too, so I'm not sure that we really need to replace AJ with another backup SF. Still worth doing, though, IMO.

Ratliff and Jackson - I'd think about it. Not in love with either one of those guys, but they both bring something to the table. If not for Ratliff's injury history I'd feel better about this one.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:56 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I guess since I started the darn thing I ought to reason it out a bit. Here goes:

Barry and Booth - this is probably my second favorite, and one of the most intriguing. I like Booth. Nice shot blocker and rebounder. Not a scorer, but has enough range on his shot to not be a liability. I think he'd round out our center lineup nicely. Barry's the one that makes it really interesting. The resulting guard rotation makes me giddy. My concern would be Nellie playing Fin at the three a lot, but my hope would be that the vacated SF minutes go to Howard, who absolutely deserves them.

Rasheed - this one got my vote. It's a gamble, we all know why, but talent wise this one is clearly the winner. With Sheed's ability to play inside and outside, his size, and his defensive abilities, I wouldn't at all mind starting and closing with a lineup of Nash, Fin, AW, Dirk, and Sheed, and it would unquestionably be the single most fearsome lineup in the league. A sort of odd upside to Sheed is that he comes from a team that was loaded with talent, and that he has, if anything, proved to be a little too unselfish out on the court, even if he is a blockhead more often than I would like. We're stuck with Best and Delk backing up the point, but with the frontcourt this would give us, I think we'd be allright. For those who favor this one, here's a question: If the Blazers wanted AJ and Najera instead of AJ and TAW, do you still like the trade?

KMart - I'd definitely do this one. KMart's a good rebounder, he can block shots, defends well, and is capable offensively. I definitely think he'd be a better fit for the team, even if I'd stop short of saying this would be a move that unquestionably puts us over the top since he's a little undersized, and would be unlikely to help our half-court offensive excecution much (sure wouldn't hurt our breaks, though, would he?). This is probably my third choice.

Ward and Thomas - I'd probably say no to this one. Another option at point would be nice, but I just don't think Thomas would help much beyond what we have, and talent-wise we're taking a hit. I'd rather be patient with AJ, and sign a FA center next year than give him up for a backup point, and another undersized, foul-prone center who's not going to do anything to discourage layup drills.

Tag and Harpring - The argument against is that Tag will be a FA, and potentially in our range, next year. True, but as LRB pointed out in the thread where he introduced this possibility, there are no guarantees in FA. I also like Harpring's game quite a bit. Thing is, though, I like Howard, too, so I'm not sure that we really need to replace AJ with another backup SF. Still worth doing, though, IMO.

Ratliff and Jackson - I'd think about it. Not in love with either one of those guys, but they both bring something to the table. If not for Ratliff's injury history I'd feel better about this one.
nice to see that C and I agree.....I always try to immitate greatness.....but I do think there would be at least possible problems between Sheed and Walker......just my gut that those two could get cross ways...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I can see that danger too, Sike. I think part of my motivation for favoring the riskiest trade proposal is that, really, the safest thing to do would be to not make a move and sign a FA center next year. So, as long as we'd be doing something other than the safest thing, might as well do the craziest.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I can see that danger too, Sike. I think part of my motivation for favoring the riskiest trade proposal is that, really, the safest thing to do would be to not make a move and sign a FA center next year. So, as long as we'd be doing something other than the safest thing, might as well do the craziest.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
strange logic.........so strange it JUST MIGHT WORK!(SAID IN VERY CRAZY VOICE)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #18
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

So shall we wait until next year to be champions, because if we get lakers , spurs or kings in the playoffs is going to be very hard to win 4 games against them.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #19
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

For this team, a healthy Theo Ratliff is a much better option off the bench than AJ. Jackson is just a throw in, he's a streaky shooter that can be used as trade bait later on.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Cybertx
So shall we wait until next year to be champions, because if we get lakers , spurs or kings in the playoffs is going to be very hard to win 4 games against them.
glad to see that the art of stating the obvious isnt dead
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Spurs not as tough as last year, Lakers tougher, Kings same.....

Old 12-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
No. We should try to win it this year. Of course they're going to be hard to beat. They're good teams. You think the Mavs, if they play like they're capable of playing, are easy to beat in a series?