Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Question Portland OR - one day only

Any suggestions? The wife and I are just going to be there for Sat night/Sunday.

Must see _____________?
Must eat _____________?
Must visit ____________?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Well.. I live here but you making me think about it just made me realize how boring the town is. Usually I would say go see the actual rose garden (with flowers, not blazers) but I was just there and the roses aren't in bloom.

Portland has a reallly nice Japanese garden though that is close by.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Usually I would say go see the actual rose garden (with flowers, not blazers) but I was just there and the roses aren't in bloom.

Portland has a reallly nice Japanese garden though that is close by.
Will they be in bloom in two weeks?

We're staying in the pearl district so the rose garden and the japanese garden are just west of there right?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

sure lol

I actually live across the river in Vancouver WA so I'm not sure. Portland isn't too big though so anything is close. Not sure about the roses, do they have a normal season for blooming?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So you guys are pretty much just sitting around talking about roses in this thread hmmm?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

the website says late spring to late summer
Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So you guys are pretty much just sitting around talking about roses in this thread hmmm?
What's it to you assface?

Make yourself useful and post some pics of pole vault girl.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
What's it to you assface?

Make yourself useful and post some pics of pole vault girl.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-01-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

You must spread some twinkies around before giving them to pole vault girl again.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Portland the city itself has some interesting things (the Science museum, Niketown, etc...) but where it's at is the surrounding areas. Willamette Valley wine region (Ponzi winery, my favorite) is worth the trip. I know you won't be there long enough but the Oregon Coast is awe inspiring. Hood County is worth the drive as well, along the Columbia River, Mount Hood.... driving through Hood County is awesome in the fall and spring when the fruit is in season because the local farmers will have fruit stands and it's just the best tasting pears you will ever have.

I know you are from Texas, and I believe you used to live in the Hill Country so maybe this won't matter as much to you but just the scenery of the landscape of the Portland area (be it in the city, or elsewhere) I could just stare at for hours and feel satisfied. My wife and I want to acquire property up there by the time I retire for vacations and getaways. I am scared if I moved there I would become complacent to seeing it everyday and not appreciate it like I do on our occasional trips up there.

edit - also, have some Dungeness Crab.... as the locals up there think it's indigenous to their area (<----kidding)

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-01-2007 at 12:34 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Is there anything to see/do around Monmouth OR?

That's where we'll be on Fri/Sat (her family).
Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

just don't pump your own gas

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Monmouth? You are going to be closer to Salem there... I have never been to Salem so maybe someone else should tell you about that.

And as to alby.... they won't let you pump your own gas. I could never figure out why.... although I've heard they are trying to get that law revoked.

You will be in Polk county which is further South of Portland, but I think you will be the same distance, maybe closer to the Coast. Definitely close to Willamette Valley wine region.... although I never ventured that far south (I mainly tour near Beaverton).
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Thanks for the info U2. We might get ambitious and drive out to the coast.

Do I get my man card revoked for letting someone else pump my gas?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Thanks for the info U2. We might get ambitious and drive out to the coast.

Do I get my man card revoked for letting someone else pump my gas?
You don't have a choice so I would think not. But the first couple of times you see it happen you just don't feel right. It ain't natural.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
You don't have a choice so I would think not. But the first couple of times you see it happen you just don't feel right. It ain't natural.
I went to Hawaii with some people from Oregon once. Every time we went to a gas station they complained like they were getting a rectal exam. "Ahh My God! This is such a hassle!"

It takes like two seconds to do, Oregonians are just lazy. But yeah it sucks that you don't have a choice when you go there, because I hate waiting for someone to pump my gas.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That is nuts. You really can't pump your own gas?

Do they hold it for you in the mens room as well?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Do they hold it for you in the mens room as well?
Don't know... never waited to find out if they did that.....

*note to self: when at gas station in Oregon...wait to pee*
Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol_...._self_service

Quote:
Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline due to inexperienced pumpers being a significant source of groundwater and air pollution. Oregon's state fire marshal has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline. Today, these states enforce the law because of the rapid increase of drive-offs[citation needed], where people fill up their car and drive away without paying for gas. In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

I guess they are afraid of a real life zoolander gasoline fight.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

If you're a reader, you shouldn't miss Powell's Bookstore at 10th & Burnside

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I hear Portland has some kick-ass microbreweries to visit.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Tone Melodies
If you're a reader, you shouldn't miss Powell's Bookstore at 10th & Burnside
yep. Also.. stumptown coffee is amazing if you're a coffee drinker.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 06-01-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I like where your head is, sir.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #26
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Indeed - more breweries per capita than any city in the U.S.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't gotten to Portland yet, I'd recommend changing destinations.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

^ haha

Contact Me
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #29
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
If you haven't gotten to Portland yet, I'd recommend changing destinations.
Oh I'm definitely going. But I've already told the wife I'm taking "the shirt".

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-02-2007 at 01:40 AM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The French manicure totally makes that getup work.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #31
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can you take the girl with you too?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
She's got some serious large man hands on her.... I don't know about that.

Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol sorry u2. It just occurred to me what a mess we made for you last night with that.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #34
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol_...._self_service
Quote:
Oregon's Department of Environmental Quality has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline due to inexperienced pumpers being a significant source of groundwater and air pollution. Oregon's state fire marshal has also ordered a ban on self-service gasoline. Today, these states enforce the law because of the rapid increase of drive-offs[citation needed], where people fill up their car and drive away without paying for gas. In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
I went to visit my brother in the Salem area and got some gas station attendant completely ticked off because I remove my gas cap and put my credit card into the machine, while waiting for them to service me. He started explaining how I am not allowed to pump my own gas (which I knew about already). I merely pointed out that just because I'm not allowed pump the gas doesn't mean I can't swipe my own credit card.

The unintended consequence of this asinine law is that you have teenagers that are absolutely terrified of pumping their own gas when they leave the state. They think they're going to blow themselves up or something. Very sad.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #35
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
I went to visit my brother in the Salem area and got some gas station attendant completely ticked off because I remove my gas cap and put my credit card into the machine, while waiting for them to service me. He started explaining how I am not allowed to pump my own gas (which I knew about already). I merely pointed out that just because I'm not allowed pump the gas doesn't mean I can't swipe my own credit card.

The unintended consequence of this asinine law is that you have teenagers that are absolutely terrified of pumping their own gas when they leave the state. They think they're going to blow themselves up or something. Very sad.
Are there signs posted "Do NOT pump your own gas" or something?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #36
alby
Guru

It's just against the law there.

I hope Oregonites realize that high concentrations of exposure to gasoline is extremely hazerdous (the poor teenagers that are working at the pumps). While a normal amount (a couple times a week) doesn't do much harm to the body.

There are silly laws in every state, this is Oregon's

Contact Me