Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Austin, TX...Several Days (Weeks, Months...?) in a row

Well. I just moved here. Who else lives here? What should I do? I don't know too many people, so I've cooped myself up a little bit so far, because I'm lame. Help me be not so lame.

Best Restaurants (Not ridiculously expensive)?
Best Places to watch Mavs games (I found out this is Spur Country, grrrr....)?
Best Bars?
Best Other Attractions?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

where'd you move from?

catch this in september
http://www.austincitylimits.com/default.aspx
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'm a big music fan, I know all about ACL, and will try to go if I can afford it. I lived in Carrollton my whole life (other than 4 years in college). I was back in Carrollton for about a year, got sick of it, so I came here.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Austin's a great music town...you don't have to spend alot of cash to find pretty good live music on a pretty much nightly basis.

Stubbs is an OK place to eat..a little overrated, but you'll enjoy it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

oh, lol i live in c-town too.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Alex Jones rules!!

I will be moving there in December. Can't wait! I love Austin except for the traffic.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am only 30 minutes away, so that is always a plus.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Windmill360
Diamond Member

^
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Chaff

1. There is no such thing as "Austin Traffic" - just times to avoid 35.
2. Lonestar tallboys are delicious, and only $1.00 @ the Roller Derby.
3. Lake Travis is your friend.
4. Williamson County Sheriffs play for keeps.
5. 78704 isn't Austin, it's 78704.
6. Take your bike, if you don't have a bike get one.
7. The only part of 6th St. to familiarize yourself with is Sixth & Lamar.
8. The Salt Lick isn't worth the drive, but the Bluebonnet Cafe is.
9. Barton Springs is always 68 degrees.
10. Wear a rubber.

For any questions not addressed in above guidelines, I'll need to know where you're staying and how much you're willing to contribute to the local economy. And if you're willing to make bedfellows with the burnt orange. And what flavor sno-cone you like.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
Well. I just moved here. Who else lives here? What should I do? I don't know too many people, so I've cooped myself up a little bit so far, because I'm lame. Help me be not so lame.

Best Restaurants (Not ridiculously expensive)? East side cafe (on Manor, east side of 35 about a half mile??? from the freeway), Z Tejas (is relatively expensive for Mexican, but good times)..... there are just alot of good restaurants.... if you just want a sandwich go to Thundercloud subs. If you like Mexican, one of my favorites was Trudy's (the one off of 31 1/2, not the souped up one down south) at least to sit back and watch a game at and eat okay cheap food, El Arroyo is alright (on 5th).
Best Places to watch Mavs games (I found out this is Spur Country, grrrr....)? Good luck with all of that.
Best Bars? Freemos (Emo's - we used to call it freemos because they were the only place around 6th that would have a live band and no cover - but I hear they do have a cover now)
Best Other Attractions? Zilker park.... there are also tons of frisbee golf courses, town lake, Bat bridge.... you name it they've got it. There's also Leslie that hangs out in front of Starbucks at 6th and Congress every morning that you must go visit.
Answers in bold...
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

You're about to move to a city full of people who "bet they could throw a football over them mountains," and wish they were still in college.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-02-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

From the restaurant thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
These are some of the places I'll miss if/when I move back to the metroplex.

BBQ: County Line- not the original location, but the one on 2222/360. The fresh bread, the mixed platter with Beef ribs, brisket, turkey, sausage and a cold beer. I can't think of a better after church meal. (This is the place where Cap's parents and met Ms. Cap's mom for the first time.)

Runners up: Rudy's (bbq on a budget), The Salt Lick (good but overrated)

Tex-Mex: Trudy's - Texas Star. I'll be the first to admit the food isn't terrific. I stick to one or two items I know are can't miss (Fajitas, Flaquities, Chile Relleno). The reason to come here is the drinks. Happy Hour with the Mexican Martinis (they cut you off after 2) or some cold dos equis is the bomb and it just means 'austin friends' to me.

Runners up: Maudies (drinks again), Taco Shack (breakfast tacos), Serrano's (symphony square location only)

Burgers: The Tavern - I know you've probably heard of Hut's or Dirty's or Waterloo Icehouse (all good burgers), but none of those guys serve your dead cow sandwich on a Kolachi roll bun. That's right I said Kolachi.

Runners up: Hut's (sixth street), Culver's Butter Burgers and Frozen Custard (locations all over Wisc, Minn, SD, ND, Iowa and... Austin?), Top-Notch drive-in (dazed & confused)

Steak: Eddie V's - A valentine's day tradition three years running. The filet is an experience. We also have nothing but high marks for the service (something I can't say for Ruths Chris or Trulucks).

Runners up: Austin Land & Cattle (not to be confused with Texas Land & Cattle), NxNW (20 oz porterhouse Sunday Special)

Dessert: Mozart's - great place to get some cheesecake and a cup of joe. This is the place you end a date or meet somebody for the first time. You can sit out on the deck and plot your next enterprise as you stare across Lake Austin at the hills of million dollar homes.

Runners up: Amy's Ice-Cream (please tip), Austin Java Co. (keep austin weird)

Best of the rest...
Romeo's - good Italian joint on Barton Springs near Zilker Park
East Side Cafe - They grow their own veggies
Hyde Park Bar & Grill - the "Hyde Park Fries" are the ultimate comfort food
Threadgills - Unlike Hard Rock Cafe, a music-themed restaurant that's genuine
Hula Hut - it's as "westlake" as I'll go
Whole Foods World HQ - it's the place to see and be seen
Stubbs - wait for a great band...
Ringers - best sports bar ever... except the overpriced beer and spurs fans
Starseeds Cafe - Kerbey Lane is played out
Since I moved there are two newer sports bars downtown that I heard are better than Ringers.

Champions @ 4th & Trinity
3rd Base @ 6th & Mopac

From my experience there are always enough Mavs interlopers to make you feel secure. Secure enough to talk shit whilst rooting obnoxiously. There are probably more Spurs fans around than normal being that most of them had to buy new Western Conference Champs gear - since they burned their old stuff in January when they jumped off the bandwagon.

As for attractions/events...

You've already missed the kite festival, eyeores birthday, Marley festival. Blues on the green (Zilker), 4th of July (Zilker), and the Hot Sauce festival (Waterloo Park) are still coming up though. They're still doing movies in the park I think. That's once a month sponsored by Alamo Drafthouse so check out their website. Pecan St festival will probably come around/ Crawfish festival might be over already. Check out www.austin360.com.

FREE/CHEAP STUFF TO DO (some are date spots):

Lake Austin hike & bike trail/ check out the bitches then check out the bats
Zilker
Botanical Gardens (Zilker)
Barton Springs Pool (Zilker)
Mt. Bonnell
Toy Joy
the Capitol building
The Bob Bullock Museum is worth going to once
Walk the Drag (Guadalupe - Guad-a-loop)
Walk South Congress (SoCo) - First Thursdays of Each month
Lake Travis

LINKS

http://www.downtownaustin.com/directory/
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/
http://www.austinchronicle.com/
http://www.austin360.com/
http://www.firstthursday.info/
http://www.toyjoy.com/
http://www.originalalamo.com/

STREETS & NAVIGATION

Use MoPac or Lamar to travel North & South - 35 is for suckers and truckers

North/South streets through downtown are named for texas rivers geographically from west to east - Rio Grande, Nueces, Guadalupe, Lavaca, Colorado, CONGRESS AVE, Brazos, San Jacinto, Trinity, Neches, Red River

All numbered streets run East/West except 1st street which starts in front of City Hall and goes south into 78704. The street that should be 1st is called Cesar Chavez.

15th st = Enfield
20th st = MLK
26th st = Dean Keeton (north side of UT campus)
2222 through town = Koenig (Kay-nig)
Loop 1 = MoPac
360 = Capital of Texas Hwy
183 = Research Blvd
71 = Ben White Blvd
6th st = Lake Austin Blvd west of MoPac

other pronunciations not covered

Manchaca = Man-shack
Burnet = Burn-it
Hook 'em = Go Horns
Old 06-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i lived in austin
I visit 2-3 times a year

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

It's pretty weird to see two shoutouts for Eastside Cafe. One of the first places that I've found here that I like a lot is a coffeehouse called Clementines, and Eastside is right across the street. I'll make sure to hit it up sometime.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I'll be there at the end of the month. Can you wait that long?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

It'll be tough, but I think I can make it.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Just and idea, and I'll admit this came from many years ago: but everything I ever needed to know about Austin I found on 6th Street or Lake Travis.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote