Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bobbye Sloan passes away (Utah Jazz News)

SALT LAKE CITY -- Bobbye Sloan, the wife of Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, died Friday after battling cancer, the team said. She was 61.

Sloan, the coach's wife of 41 years, announced in January she had a malignant tumor in her pancreas, unrelated to the breast cancer she was treated for and fought publicly several years ago.

"She was such a positive, upbeat person," Jazz owner Larry Miller said Friday. "There was a lot of energy and strength of character with a really positive image. It's the image I hope that all of us who know here will keep of her.

Jerry Sloan considered leaving coaching to be with his wife, but she wanted him to continue coaching. He finished the season, guiding the Jazz to a 42-40 record that left them just short of the playoffs.

After the season, Sloan said he planned to return for a 17th year coaching the Jazz, although that depended on his wife's health. He also said 2003-04 would be memorable more for his life off the court than for the team's accomplishment.

Miller said he received a message from Jerry Sloan during a meeting Friday that Bobbye had died at the Sloan's southern Illinois farm. That is where the couple spent most of the offseason, and near where they grew up and were high school sweethearts.

He said Sloan would have all the time he wants to decide whether to continue coaching.

"I'm not trying to anticipate what he'll really wind up doing, but I certainly hope he'll stay with the team," Miller said.

Miller had not spoken with Sloan and planned to give him some time with his family, who were with him Friday.

Bobbye Sloan was diagnosed with breast cancer after Utah's 1997 NBA finals loss to the Chicago Bulls. She fought and won a very public battle with the disease, but had been ill before the January announcement with flu-like symptoms.

Funeral plans were pending.

Bobbye Sloan is survived by her husband, three children and eight grandchildren.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Bobbye Sloan passes away (Utah Jazz News)

I am very sorry to hear this. I have much respect for Jerry and Bobbye Sloan. I hope that Jerry continues to do what he does so well - coach, but I will understand if he steps down.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Bobbye Sloan passes away (Utah Jazz News)

I was saddened to read this a few minutes ago.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Bobbye Sloan passes away (Utah Jazz News)

It's definitely sad to see a truly 'good' person go so soon. The Sloan's have always been class acts. God bless Jerry and the rest of the family. It truly is a sad day for the NBA and for professional sports in general in America.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Bobbye Sloan passes away (Utah Jazz News)

Sad news. Sloan is a class act, as was his wife.