Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Game 1 of Cavs-Spurs draws lowest prime time rating ever

I remember posting something about how bad the rating were for the Mavs/Heat series last year when we were up 2-0. After those horrible ratings, the refs started calling the game completely differently and Wade dominated. I wonder if these ratings mean that Lebron will be allowed to go wild on the Spurs?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW YORK -- Game 1 of the NBA Finals drew the lowest rating ever for an opening-game in prime time, dropping 19 percent from last year.

The San Antonio Spurs' 85-76 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night earned a 6.3 rating and 11 share on ABC. The previous low was a 6.4/11 in 2003.

Last year's Game 1 between Miami and Dallas earned a 7.8 rating and 14 share.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

I've said this all along and people have questioned me....Lebron is boring and no one cares about him - it's as simple as that.

Nike is trying to pimp him and turn him into jordan and the fact of the matter is, the casual viewer doesn't give a damn about any of these guys. Kobe is the only real "draw" for the casual viewer.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Wow this thread is off to a great start

Quote:
I wonder if these ratings mean that Lebron will be allowed to go wild on the Spurs?
Will be allowed to? In my opinion, that's up to him. He had plenty of good looks the other night, and choked. Pitiful shooting performance from Bron bron.

Quote:
I've said this all along and people have questioned me....Lebron is boring and no one cares about him - it's as simple as that.
So any old guard in the league can make the same athletic plays as he does? All 22 year olds are that special? Did you see the Pistons series? What an ignorant statement. He's an athletic freak who has willed his team to the Finals at age 22. Gosh that's boring.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-09-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Wow this thread is off to a great start

Will be allowed to? In my opinion, that's up to him. He had plenty of good looks the other night, and choked. Pitiful shooting performance from Bron bron.

So any old guard in the league can make the same athletic plays as he does? All 22 year olds are that special? Did you see the Pistons series? What an ignorant statement. He's an athletic freak who has willed his team to the Finals at age 22. Gosh that's boring.
Well done Flaco, I was just about to say about the same things. That statement of Lebron being a boring player that nobody cares about is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I was beginning to think that my daughters friends were on an Island........
Old 06-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'd blame the ratings on the night it came on. And the ratings for Sunday's game may even be worse for the simple fact that its Soprano's night. The NBA waited wayyyyyyy too late to start the NBA Finals. The Lebron hype died down a bit but 'Bron being boring? Is there a more exciting player? Maybe Kobe? Maybe? Ratings will pick up eventually. But it will probably have to be about Game 3.

Quote:
Nike is trying to pimp him and turn him into jordan and the fact of the matter is, the casual viewer doesn't give a damn about any of these guys. Kobe is the only real "draw" for the casual viewer.
On a Thursday night is there a such thing as a "casual viewer"? Usually they have something already know what they're watching on Thursday night.

With these ratings though they are skewed because they don't factor in the people who Tivo'd correct? People who recorded with VCR.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

On a thursday night?

Not this time of year. The only quality 'new" things on Thursdays this time of year are Sports. That's it. No exceptions.

The rating sucked bc they sucked. Bc everyone know that SA will win in 5.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not this time of year. The only quality 'new" things on Thursdays this time of year are Sports. That's it. No exceptions.

It doesn't have anything to do with being "new". People still watch TV and if you're expecting the NBA To take casual viewers away from CSI, So You Think You Can Dance, Shark or any of the other million reality shows that are in the same time slot than you are sadly mistaken. The casual viewer already has in mind what they are going to watch.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

So...

Did the Spurs actually manage to sell out a game the other night for once? Or were all their fans watching the TV shows mentioned in the previous post?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

spurs suck is why, and we all know the cavs have chance.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I agree that LeBron is not boring he is an exciting player. There is many people thta like LeBron and will watch, but idk if you guys realize that there is many that dont like him and wont. That could have a part to do with it too, along with some of the reasons some of you mentioned before.

**The 3 most exciting players to watch over the years even if they were losing have been Kobe ,Carter,Iverson. They just had the attraction. Its starting to change, and in the next 2 years it will probably be LeBron, Wade, and maybe some of the bidder guys like Bosh and Howard.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 06-09-2007 at 10:17 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

1) Lopsided series
2) Two defensive ballclubs
3) Low-scoring
4) One player on the floor that isn't boring to watch
5) Flop-apalooza 2007

Last edited by StackAttack; 06-09-2007 at 11:17 AM.
StackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Lopsided series
2) Two defensive ballclubs
3) Low-scoring
4) One player on the floor that isn't boring to watch
5) Flop-apalooza 2007
Are you talking about last years series or this years? The above could pertain to both which is why I ask.

Quote:
Did the Spurs actually manage to sell out a game the other night for once? Or were all their fans watching the TV shows mentioned in the previous post?
I don't know if they sold out but if they stayed home to watch the shows above then they aren't really fans just "casual viewers".

Its like Hockey. If the Stars aren't in it what's the point of watching? And apparently i'm not the only person who thinks like that by the ratings they recieved in these Finals.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Exclamation

Any self respecting man who watches CSI instead of the NBA Finals should give his penis back to the penis making factory.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say I was watching Tivoed futurama during the game, but I have no penis to return.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Are you talking about last years series or this years? The above could pertain to both which is why I ask.

I don't know if they sold out but if they stayed home to watch the shows above then they aren't really fans just "casual viewers".

Its like Hockey. If the Stars aren't in it what's the point of watching? And apparently i'm not the only person who thinks like that by the ratings they recieved in these Finals.
I was talking about this year, but I guess you're right, a lot of that could pertain to last year. I guess last year's controversey could have something to do with people not tuning in this year.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Gotta say I was watching Tivoed futurama during the game, but I have no penis to return.
It's okay erica.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
StackAttack
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
wait u mean -
Old 06-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Um, LeBron might not be a boring player to watch, but the other 9 guys on the court are boring as hell... I don't care how much talent some of the Spurs have, they're just plain dull to watch...

You want ratings? Two-on-two halfcourt, Jordan-wannabe-Nike-products - no more team game, just selfish jam after selfish jam... Also, a 10-point line, trampoline dunks, & create a pool at the top of the key filled with piranhas - that should fix the ratings!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote