Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default If i see that commercial one more time

If i see that Gap commercial with Madonna and Missy Elliot one more time, I'm going to boycott Gap.

Sorry, i had to get this off my chest.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: If i see that commercial one more time

talk about annoying songs! "where'd you get those jeans?"
Old 08-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Funny, I was going to post yesterday that I rather prefer Madonna than Britney Spears.

I'm getting old.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Missy Elliot has to be one of the most overrated people in the history of the universe.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Missy Elliot has to be one of the most overrated people in the history of the universe.

Blasphemy!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, she just doesn't do anything for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Timbaland notwithstanding.

She owes all her fame to the fisheye lens and Glad trashbags. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
and Madonna, the ugliest.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
Ouch. That's a bit harsh. Madonna's not the most beautiful woman on earth, but she's far from ugly, much less ugliest.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:01 PM   #9
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
Ouch. That's a bit harsh. Madonna's not the most beautiful woman on earth, but she's far from ugly, much less ugliest.
It far behond looks alone. Many associations.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Sorry, she just doesn't do anything for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Timbaland notwithstanding.

She owes all her fame to the fisheye lens and Glad trashbags. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

She does damn innovative videos for her genre.

She has damn catchy songs.

She's not particularly attractive, and certainly not thin, but hasn't let this stop her from world domination.

That's enough for me. You go, Missy, you go!

(Though, okay, I hate the Gap and Vanilla Coke ads. Yikes.)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Feeling stupid here again. Missy Elliot?

Is that the girl that say "So-and-so is mad" on the Glad trash bag commercials? If so, I think that she is attractive. She has a natural look to her IMHO. Her voice is kind of squeaky, but she is pretty nice.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:58 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio

Is that the girl that say "So-and-so is mad" on the Glad trash bag commercials? If so, I think that she is attractive. She has a natural look to her IMHO. Her voice is kind of squeaky, but she is pretty nice.
grandpa, this may be one of your funniest posts ever...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Now I know whom you're talking about.

I like Madonna more.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio

LMAO...get up...fall on the floor...and LMAO again. This IS being added to my sig.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:37 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

every once in a while a post just clicks.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:11 AM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

SHe is far from overrated. More like udnerrated. PEople don't understand that yes she is a rapper but she is also a singer/producer/writer. Most songs you hear on the radio that are r&b are more than likely from her. Not to mention songs that don't even make radio. Also her videos are always great and entertaining. Have you ever heard that Lady Marmalade song that came out about 2 years ago when Moulin Rouge came out that was so successful? She was behind that song. She was the one who produced it. Even with all that being said I hate that commercial. There is a problem when I know the whole song to a commercial.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:24 AM   #17
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I adore Missy. She's absolutely brilliant. That said I'm dissapointed to hear that
she makes commercials for the gap. I've not seen it though...as we don't even
have the gap here....luckily.....
It's weird though, because she makes fun of girls wearing gap on Under Construction,
well I took it that way.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:22 AM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

FFM, i have to agree with Rylan. I mean yeah she comes out with some creative videos, but they get kinda boring after the second or third time you watch it. Her albums are mostly about sex, and most men really don't care much for the Lady Marmalade song as they did the video.

I would appreciate her better if she were just a Producer. And that's the other thing. A lot of MC's like Eminem, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, Timbaland, Jay Z are producers and writers, so it's not like she's the only one.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 08-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #19
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Not to be argumentative Nash but 50 hasn't produced shit.

But I do agree that it is common place to see rappers produce.

To get back on topic that is one of the commercials that should be put to death.

Drbio that was the funniest post since I've been a member.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #20
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Not to be argumentative Nash but 50 hasn't produced shit.
Actually he is the Producer of his album with the rest of G-Unit, although i'm not sure if it's already out or not.

~The Salesman
Old 08-15-2003, 11:37 AM   #21
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Originlly posted by FFM:
Quote:
Have you ever heard that Lady Marmalade song that came out about 2 years ago when Moulin Rouge came out that was so successful? She was behind that song.
--- No, no, no...a thousand times, NO !

Patti Labelle was the originator...it's her song....followed by Chaka Khan and many others....

Patti's group "Labelle" released the song in 1975 and it immediately went to #1.

No offense to the "Moulin Rouge" crew (with Missy producing and performing) who garnered a hell of a lot of awards with their version...but let's give credit where credit is due....

And that goes to Patti....

one of my favorite songs ......Just LOVE that one.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #22
sturm und drang
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
FFM, i have to agree with Rylan. I mean yeah she comes out with some creative videos, but they get kinda boring after the second or third time you watch it.
Yeah, I'd much rather watch the hot tub/club/hot chick(s)/posse/cool cars videos over and over. Those never get boring or repetitive.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #23
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Quote:
FFM, i have to agree with Rylan. I mean yeah she comes out with some creative videos, but they get kinda boring after the second or third time you watch it.
Yeah, I'd much rather watch the hot tub/club/hot chick(s)/posse/cool cars videos over and over. Those never get boring or repetitive.
You're absolutely right Sturm. I really don't watch videos much anymore personally. They do the same things over and over again.

~The Salesman
Old 08-15-2003, 01:37 PM   #24
sturm und drang
Golden Member

I've never been able to watch them more than once without a great yawn of boredom overtaking me. Doesn't matter how good the video is, really.

Except, of course, "Whip It" by DEVO.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

never heard of missy elliott...don't recognize her picture either
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Originlly posted by FFM:
Quote:
Have you ever heard that Lady Marmalade song that came out about 2 years ago when Moulin Rouge came out that was so successful? She was behind that song.
--- No, no, no...a thousand times, NO !

Patti Labelle was the originator...it's her song....followed by Chaka Khan and many others....

Patti's group "Labelle" released the song in 1975 and it immediately went to #1.

No offense to the "Moulin Rouge" crew (with Missy producing and performing) who garnered a hell of a lot of awards with their version...but let's give credit where credit is due....

And that goes to Patti....

one of my favorite songs ......Just LOVE that one.

Oh yes this song came from the group Labelle's however the lyrics and the produciton is completly different. You have Missy to thank for that.

1996-2005
Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #27
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
FFM, i have to agree with Rylan. I mean yeah she comes out with some creative videos, but they get kinda boring after the second or third time you watch it. Her albums are mostly about sex, and most men really don't care much for the Lady Marmalade song as they did the video.

I would appreciate her better if she were just a Producer. And that's the other thing. A lot of MC's like Eminem, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, Timbaland, Jay Z are producers and writers, so it's not like she's the only one.

What do you prefer Missy rap about? Drugs? Murder? She is rapping about having fun. And no Dr. Dre is not a writer, 50 is a writer, Timbaland is a producer, and Jay is just a writer. Missy does the writing, producing and the rapping on her album. No one else does this. Em does this abotu 4 or 5 times an album but Missy does ALL of her songs. She is behind everything.

1996-2005
Old 08-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #28
Nash13
Diamond Member

[quote]
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

What do you prefer Missy rap about? Drugs? Murder? She is rapping about having fun. And no Dr. Dre is not a writer, 50 is a writer, Timbaland is a producer, and Jay is just a writer. Missy does the writing, producing and the rapping on her album. No one else does this. Em does this abotu 4 or 5 times an album but Missy does ALL of her songs. She is behind everything.

Timbaland- has come out with an duo album with Magoo, and is coming out with another by the end of this year, and he writes.

50- is going to produce an album later this year as well

Dr. Dre- has wrote his two best albums, and he not only produces but owns his own label

Jay Z- I want you to look at the credits of any rapper signed to Rockafella, and see who one of the producers are. Either S. Carter will show up, or Sean Carter. That's Jay z.

FYI, Missy has admitted that she excessively smoked marijuana as a teen and as a professional artist. And all she does is rap about sex. She's a [b]ONE DIMENSIONAL[B/] Rapper.

~The Salesman
Old 08-16-2003, 12:49 AM   #29
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I'm with OP...the Patti LaBelle (and the Bluebells?) version is so much better.
Awesome track, even with Missys involvement I thought the re-working was crap.
None of them could ever dream of singing like Patti.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:39 AM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

[quote]
Quote:
Quote:

Timbaland- has come out with an duo album with Magoo, and is coming out with another by the end of this year, and he writes.

50- is going to produce an album later this year as well

Dr. Dre- has wrote his two best albums, and he not only produces but owns his own label

Jay Z- I want you to look at the credits of any rapper signed to Rockafella, and see who one of the producers are. Either S. Carter will show up, or Sean Carter. That's Jay z.

FYI, Missy has admitted that she excessively smoked marijuana as a teen and as a professional artist. And all she does is rap about sex. She's a [b]ONE DIMENSIONAL[B/] Rapper.

TImbaland does not write his material. His brother Sebastian or Maggoo do the writing but Tim sticks to the boards.

Executive producing and producing is 2 different things. When you are the executive producer which most of the time is the person who is exectuive producing is the person who is bringing the album out it is the person who is in charge of that album and which songs make the cut.

Yes, Dr. Dre owns his own lable but he does not write. In the past Em, Snoop and Jay-z have wrote rhymes for Dr. Dre.

Jay-z has never produced a album in his life. I have every single one of his albums from reasonable doubt to blueprint 2. The producers on the R.O.C. are Kanye West and Just Blaze. Executive producing and producing a album is a totally different thing.

As far as Missy's life goes Ic an't tell you. I've never heard she smoked or drank but I never said she did. I said what do you prefer her do? Rap about smoking and drinking? Her and Timbaland were friends ever since High School and Tim has never dranked or smoked in his life. I'd imagine the same could be said for Missy since they group up together.

1996-2005
Old 08-16-2003, 01:41 AM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: veruca salt
I'm with OP...the Patti LaBelle (and the Bluebells?) version is so much better.
Awesome track, even with Missys involvement I thought the re-working was crap.
None of them could ever dream of singing like Patti.

Hey, I never said hte song was great. I just said that Missy was behind the song. SHe got the artists together to make the album happen and she wrote and produced for the song. And the results were alot of airplay, platinum single, and awards. I didn't care much for the song myself. THe video is another story.

1996-2005
Old 08-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #32
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:

TImbaland does not write his material. His brother Sebastian or Maggoo do the writing but Tim sticks to the boards.

As far as Missy's life goes Ic an't tell you. I've never heard she smoked or drank but I never said she did. I said what do you prefer her do? Rap about smoking and drinking? Her and Timbaland were friends ever since High School and Tim has never dranked or smoked in his life. I'd imagine the same could be said for Missy since they group up together.
I'll give you the Timbaland part. I don't know too much about his camp, but i thought he wrote some.

And you should watch Driven on VH1. Before Missy started to lose weight, she had admitted that she was smoking a lot, but she was going to stop.

~The Salesman
Old 08-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #33
Chiwas
Guru