Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Finley finally reaches the Finals: By David Moore / DMN

Finley finally reaches the Finals

01:13 AM CDT on Friday, June 1, 2007
David Moore
Dallas Morning News

This is what Michael Finley wanted.

Sure, he would have preferred to make it to the Finals alongside good friends Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash. That's something the Big Three once dreamed of doing when they were in Dallas. But he'll take this.

After years of propping up some dreadful Mavericks teams, after his unceremonious departure and nearly 1,000 NBA games, Finley has the chance to win a championship.

The realization began to sink in moments after San Antonio eliminated Utah in the Western Conference Finals. Finley couldn't suppress a smile as he tried to explain his gratification to the reporters crowded around his locker. Seconds earlier, on the podium outside the Spurs' locker room, guard Tony Parker described Finley's deep disappointment in losing to the Mavericks in the second round last season.

Parker and Manu Ginobili have already won two titles. Tim Duncan has three. Robert Horry is working on No. 7. Yet much of their joy in making it back to the Finals was to present Finley with his first trip.

"I still haven't gotten there yet," Finley said, tapping the brakes on his emotions. "From a playoff standpoint, I remember in Dallas when we beat Utah and came back from a 0-2 deficit, that felt like winning the Finals for me.

"From that standpoint, I know I still have a long way to go. We still have four more wins to try to get it. Hopefully after that, it can be an overwhelming feeling."

It has to be better than what Finley was feeling this time last season.

The guard left the floor without talking to his former teammates when the Mavericks eliminated the Spurs in a Game 7. He didn't talk to the media that night either.

But the next day, Finley was the only San Antonio player to talk to the media. He also made it a point to congratulate the Mavericks by phone or text message.

So far, the only Mavericks player Finley has heard from in this playoff run is Nowitzki. The league's MVP sent a text message after San Antonio beat Utah in Game 4 to wish him luck in his search for that elusive championship. Nash did the same after the Spurs eliminated the Phoenix Suns in the second round.

Finley regards both as life-long friends.

"I mean, this basketball thing is going to end one day," Finley said. "I feel my friendship with Dirk and Steve will never end.

"Despite wins, losses, trophies or no trophies, they will always be two of my good friends. ... In a perfect world, we would have liked to have enjoyed this together. But the world is not perfect and this league is a business."

Business led the Mavericks to dump Finley in the summer of 2005. An amnesty clause in the collective bargaining agreement gave owner Mark Cuban a get-out-of-jail card that he played to escape the luxury tax implications of the veteran's contract.

But money wasn't the only reason behind Finley's departure. Finley is a jump shooter. Coach Avery Johnson wants his perimeter players to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket.

It wasn't a good fit. The Mavericks were also concerned that Finley, a starter for his eight-and-a-half seasons in Dallas, would balk if asked to come off the bench.

Finley has come off the bench for all but 34 of his 159 regular season games with San Antonio over the last two seasons. But he has started during the Spurs' post-season run and played well, averaging 13.1 points and 3.1 rebounds.

He's not just along for the ride.

"It's really not about starting and minutes and all those individual things," Finley said. "I think a lot of people blew that out of proportion when I was in Dallas. I tried to be the consummate team player and it might have cost me.

"Here, I can be a team player, do whatever it takes for the team to win whether it's a starter, coming off the bench or being a cheerleader on the bench. I'm going to do whatever it takes. The team concept has been one that has been very gratifying for me. I'm just happy to be a part of it."

Finley concedes that watching the Mavericks reach the Finals before him last season was difficult. But that was only part of it.

He believes the Mavericks deserved to make the Finals. What upset Finley, and the rest of the Spurs, was that they let an opportunity slip away.

This opportunity hasn't slipped away. Finley intends to rest for a few days, watch Detroit and Cleveland battle it out in the East and prepare for what lies ahead.

"I'm just going to ride this roller coaster, so to speak, and look to these guys for any advice I may need on and off the court," Finley said of the trip he always hoped to make with Nowitzki and Nash. "Once the ball tips up in the Finals, I'll be ready."

LONG ROAD
Michael Finley will end the second-longest active streak of playoff games played without reaching the Finals. It took Dirk Nowitzki 70 games to reach the Finals. The top three active streaks:

97 Steve Nash

85 Michael Finley

81 P.J. Brown
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He brought a lot of class to the franchise when he was here. God bless ya, Fin.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread...couldn't happen to a classier sportsman.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Couldn't happen to someone more deserving, I'm really happy for him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Rings:

Finley: 1
Nash: 0
Dirk: 0
Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Mike Finley can suck it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk owns.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

And he's gonna lose to Lebron and the Finley curse will continue.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 06-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I'm pretty confident you are wrong.

What Finley curse? No idea what that's about.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I have a feeling that the Cavs will make it out of the east (eventhough Deeeeetroit is the better team). If the Cavs make it to the Finals, I don't see the L letting LeBron lose. I just hope whatever happens in the Finals looks nothing like last year.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

That would suck if we saw another episode like last year's.
I hate the Spurs and I don't want to see them raise ANOTHER banner to the rafters, especially without even playing us this year in the playoffs. But, I'm not going to compromise the game and have the L dictate the Finals for Lebron to win.

Contact Me
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to finley but... Go Cavs!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I want nothing the best for Mike... too bad he's with the Spurs. So.... Go Cavs!
Win one for me on my birthday!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
alby
Guru

^ happy birthday

Contact Me
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Thanks alby...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #16
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Rings:

Finley: 1
Nash: 0
Dirk: 0

why, is finley married or something?

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 AM   #17
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Good for Finley, he was one of the biggest reasons for the mavs turnaround this century and his jersey will hang in the rafters one day at the aac.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski
Actually I think I read that he was?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea during the Spurs and Jazz game they said Finley got married this year so yea Fin did get a "ring" this year.

Great article. Wish Fin was still here but things are going pretty well for him in SA. Hopefully he gets his ring this year. Its deserving.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
What curse? And i'd put money that there's no way in hell the Spurs lose to the Cavs. They aren't the Pistons. Hell I think the Jazz are a better team than the Cavs.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski
thats a hell of a line but i really do hope fin wins it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #22
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

^^Thanks for that. Everybody seems to think Spurs in 5 or 6, book it, Timmy wins his fourth Championship, but I wouldn't be suprised as most people if the Cavs win.

However, I'm going on my boy Fin Dawg on this one.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #23
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I neg rep this idiot because he said there is a Finley curse and he gets all pissy. Sends me a pm saying "fuck you" and tells me that I am ABUSING the feedback system. Then he neg reps me and tells me it is because he doesn't deserve neg rep and he is returning the favor. If the moron would respond and explain WHAT a Finley curse is then maybe he'll get a little respect. Instead he acts like a 12 year old.

And people wonder why the long time posters aren't hanging around as much. Little pissants like this are infesting the board.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and Finley definitely deserves a ring and hopefully he gets it this year.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Finley has helped that evil flopping complaining team a lot this year, and he deserves it. I think I can be happy for him...I think.

Anyway, he's a second rate Mike around these parts. The best Mike already got a ring in '99.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly i see no reason for bitterness towards fin. I loved the guy for a long time. It seems incredibly stupid to start hating on him because of something out of his control(he got cut, he did not leave as a fa.) Im not trying to bash cuban but it was cubans decision for fin to leave. Not fins. I hate to see ginobili bowen and parker getting another ring but it will be worth it to see fin get one.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #27
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

If not for FIN, I wouldn't have watched ONE MINUTE of their series against Utah or Denver. I don't like Duncan, Parker or Ginobli. I'm not saying they're not good because they are but Finley (to me anyway) has given that team a level of class that they didn't have in my eyes so I hope he does win. Part of me wants him to win to stick it to Cuban but I know what Cuban did was a business decision, I was just pissed that Finley wasn't going to end his career as a Maverick.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #28
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

From San-Antonio News Express:

Finley also said he received a call Monday from former Mavericks teammate Dirk Nowitzki. Asked if the league's MVP gave him any tips about playing in the Finals, Finley said, "He talked to me more as a friend than as a guy who has been to the Finals. He said to enjoy it. He said he's rooting for me, to get the ring, things like that."
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #29
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Dirk owns.

Contact Me
Old 06-10-2007, 04:47 AM   #30
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
=]

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #31
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I neg rep this idiot because he said there is a Finley curse and he gets all pissy. Sends me a pm saying "fuck you" and tells me that I am ABUSING the feedback system. Then he neg reps me and tells me it is because he doesn't deserve neg rep and he is returning the favor. If the moron would respond and explain WHAT a Finley curse is then maybe he'll get a little respect. Instead he acts like a 12 year old.

And people wonder why the long time posters aren't hanging around as much. Little pissants like this are infesting the board.
I honestly think we lost this year due to the "mavswillhaverings" curse. Really, could your screename be any more of a jinx. Oh yeah, add a parade route to your signature, and there you have it....that joke stealing little...grumble, grumble...