Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #161
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
They kinda added 2 with the new rules on 2 way players
Can you refresh me on the new rules? Anyway, I want an excuse to have more players.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #162
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Can you refresh me on the new rules? Anyway, I want an excuse to have more players.
Active - (1-13) teams can only ever have 13 guys dressed out and available to jump on the court at any given time

Inactive - (14-15) teams can also have two more guys inactive. They’re on the regular roster, but can’t be played on any days they are inactive. Can be injury or just coach’s decision (KP and Terry?)

Two-way - (16-17) teams can have two players on two-way deals. These players mostly play in the GLeague, but in normal years can be called up to the NBA for the team that signs them for up to 45 days of the season. In 2020 there is no limit on how many days a two-way guy can be called up, but teams can still only have 13 guys active. The team also retains sole rights to that player. (Bey and Hinton)

Camp contracts/Exhibit 10 - (18-20) - in the preseason, teams can have three additional player usually on Exhibit 10 contracts. They get some money for playing in camp and can earn an extra $50k if they then go to Dallas’ GLeague after they’re waived. The player skips the GLeague draft and can immediately sign with the Legends. They cannot stay on past the beginning of the season, but if they’re good, they can get a contract like those above. We don’t retain their rights, though, so if they turn out to be amazing, any team can poach them from the GLeague.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-03-2020 at 12:15 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:17 AM   #163
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I mean I see why the Wiz did it. They got the better player. I'd say they got better. I have no idea why the Rockets did it unless they know they writing is on the wall and just want to rebuild.
Heyoooo! I see you

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-03-2020 at 12:18 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #164
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Active - (1-13) teams can only ever have 13 guys dressed out and available to jump on the court at any given time

Inactive - (14-15) teams can also have two more guys inactive. They’re on the regular roster, but can’t be played on any days they are inactive. Can be injury or just coach’s decision (KP and Terry?)

Two-way - (16-17) teams can have two players on two-way deals. These players mostly play in the GLeague, but in normal years can be called up to the NBA for the team that signs them for up to 45 days of the season. In 2020 there is no limit on how many days a two-way guy can be called up, but teams can still only have 13 guys active. The team also retains sole rights to that player. (Bey and Hinton)

Camp contracts/Exhibit 10 - (18-20) - in the preseason, teams can have three additional player usually on Exhibit 10 contracts. They get some money for playing in camp and can earn an extra $50k if they then go to Dallas’ GLeague after they’re waived. The player skips the GLeague draft and can immediately sign with the Legends. They cannot stay on past the beginning of the season, but if they’re good, they can get a contract like those above. We don’t retain their rights, though, so if they turn out to be amazing, any team can poach them from the GLeague.
I didn't know inactive roster spots were an actual thing. You could have just told me that earlier. lmao... but I didn't like the idea of WCS being inactive honestly. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:27 AM   #165
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:

I had no clue why it was called the GLeague. A big company just had to sponsor it. I miss when it was just called the D-League whether it was the NBDL or NBA DL.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:31 AM   #166
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had no clue why it was called the GLeague. A big company just had to sponsor it. I miss when it was just called the D-League whether it was the NBDL or NBA DL.
Yeah it’s super tacky.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #167
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...ip-basketball/
I think these quotes give a bit of evidence that Giannis is not going to sign his supermax by 12-21. e.g., because maybe he is especially interested in teaming with another superstar to win some championships (and that's not likely to happen in Milwaukee). "For sure, when I was 18 or 19 years old, maybe I didn’t understand what you need to do to win. But right now, I am 25 and I want to win because when I retire, that’s what people will remember..." (AD and LeBron just resigned, so Giannis to Lakers via FA probably isn't happening). The Giannis Dream is still alive. We will know a lot more in 18 days. I am also super happy of all the defensive wings we added, while at the same time, keeping the cap space to add Giannis next summer as a FA, in the event he wants to join Luka. Really brilliant work by MBT.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #168
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...ip-basketball/
I think these quotes give a bit of evidence that Giannis is not going to sign his supermax by 12-21. e.g., because maybe he is especially interested in teaming with another superstar to win some championships (and that's not likely to happen in Milwaukee). "For sure, when I was 18 or 19 years old, maybe I didn’t understand what you need to do to win. But right now, I am 25 and I want to win because when I retire, that’s what people will remember..." (AD and LeBron just resigned, so Giannis to Lakers via FA probably isn't happening). The Giannis Dream is still alive. We will know a lot more in 18 days. I am also super happy of all the defensive wings we added, while at the same time, keeping the cap space to add Giannis next summer as a FA, in the event he wants to join Luka. Really brilliant work by MBT.
“This is a statement that I have never made before. If LeBron and Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis came to Milwaukee; I would have been good with that. I am not interested if I am the top, second or third name, ok? Because I want to win…,” explained Giannis.
What size cowboy boots do you wear, Giannis?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #169
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
“This is a statement that I have never made before. If LeBron and Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis came to Milwaukee; I would have been good with that. I am not interested if I am the top, second or third name, ok? Because I want to win…,” explained Giannis.
What size cowboy boots do you wear, Giannis?
Haha- exactly. There are a number of articles and quotes out there - Giannis thinks that Luka is one of the greatest talents in the NBA, right now. Piecing everything together, I think the Mavs have a decent shot at Giannis, if he doesn't sign the supermax by 12-21. That's really shocking, considering the Mavs poor track record in attracting FAs over the years. But Luka's amazing talent, and Giannis' euro connection with Luka, makes this entirely different.

All this talk about adding another player through trades, Markainen, Lavine, etc., is interesting, and might be good, but of course pales in comparison to what adding Giannis would do for the team. Mavs aren't going to do anything to impact their cap room for next summer, if Giannis doesn't sign the supermax, and the dream is still alive. Luka gives them a decent shot - as good or better than any other team, IMO.

Of course, if he doesn't sign, our team is still setup with good talent, and some young athletic prospects going forward.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #170
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

So if Giannis comes to Dallas what do you all suspect the team will look like around Luka, KP, and him?

My best guess:

Dwight Powell
Josh Richardson
Maxi Kleber
Dorian Finney-Smith
Trey Burke
Willie Cauley-Stein
Wesley Iwundu
Josh Green
Jalen Brunson
Tyrell Terry
Tyler Bey

Aside from them do you think we're just signing veterans at the minimum?

Edit: Clearly I am not thinking any time this season.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 12-03-2020 at 10:47 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:50 PM   #171
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So if Giannis comes to Dallas what do you all suspect the team will look like around Luka, KP, and him?

My best guess:

Dwight Powell
Josh Richardson
Maxi Kleber
Dorian Finney-Smith
Trey Burke
Willie Cauley-Stein
Wesley Iwundu
Josh Green
Jalen Brunson
Tyrell Terry
Tyler Bey

Aside from them do you think we're just signing veterans at the minimum?

Edit: Clearly I am not thinking any time this season.
We only have room for a max slot if Richardson opts out. If he doesn't then we'll have to find another home for Powell
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #172
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

And we'll have our MLE available and the bi-annual exception
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 PM   #173
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We only have room for a max slot if Richardson opts out. If he doesn't then we'll have to find another home for Powell
Richardson is opting out for sure, He is underpaid.

If we get Giannis im 99% sure we would ship out Powell with the 2025 FRP (or Brunson), so we could sign Giannis and resign Josh.

With Giannis Powell has No place on the team anyway
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #174
ozmavs123

ozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of lightozmavs123 is a glorious beacon of light

WOJ reporting that active roster spots may be increased to 15 for this season, so maybe JJB does make the roster after all
ozmavs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #175
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmavs123 View Post
WOJ reporting that active roster spots may be increased to 15 for this season, so maybe JJB does make the roster after all
Is it 15 active and 2 inactive or is it just 15 active and no inactive list? If we can bring 15+2+2 then it makes sense to keep Barea
Old 12-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #176
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

I really hope that those guys stay off this site. I don't want any of them to think we want them to be shipped out. I like having them around... but if it's between having Giannis or them... yeah. I think they should understand that.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #177
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

If we get Giannis im 99% sure we would ship out Powell with the 2025 FRP (or Brunson), so we could sign Giannis and resign Josh.

To sign Giannis, we would have to release Richardson's cap hold to get a max slot. Then we could only offer Richardson the MLE. That'll be laughed at by Richardson's agent

But Richardson >>>MIGHT<<< wait a year to get taken care of. After all, he'd be playing with Luka AND Giannis AND Porzingis and I'm sure that he would get a "make up" contract. Say Richardson would get a 3 year $60m contract next offseason, he could take his $11m next year and the Mavs give him a 2 year $49m contract the following offseason

It would be a gamble but in theory it COULD happen (probably won't because his agent would strongly advise him to take the $60m in hand) but it is possible
Old 12-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #178
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

In regards to Richardson, if you plays his heart out this season... and I am sure that he will... I am gonna really miss having him around.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:45 PM   #179
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Is it 15 active and 2 inactive or is it just 15 active and no inactive list? If we can bring 15+2+2 then it makes sense to keep Barea
I think the roster max for this year should be 18 active players with an additional 2 players on 2 way contracts

I don't think there will be much of a G-League this year

But the 15+2+2 is the only way it makes any sense - "shortened season and concerns over Covid impact" can be covered with the flexible inactives slot. NBA Player Assoc must be trying to get a few more jobs out of the owners
Old 12-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #180
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

I looked into it. They're just getting rid of inactive roster spots. Including the 2-way contracts, teams can still carry 17 players.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #181
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I looked into it. They're just getting rid of inactive roster spots. Including the 2-way contracts, teams can still carry 17 players.
Mavs have 18. So someone has to go.

Maybe we bump Hinton. Make Terry a two-way. Two-way guys can spend infinite time with the Mavs this year.

Then again, sounds like Terry has a full contract. If we bump him to two-way we lose rights and he may just sign elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #182
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To sign Giannis, we would have to release Richardson's cap hold to get a max slot. Then we could only offer Richardson the MLE. That'll be laughed at by Richardson's agent

But Richardson >>>MIGHT<<< wait a year to get taken care of. After all, he'd be playing with Luka AND Giannis AND Porzingis and I'm sure that he would get a "make up" contract. Say Richardson would get a 3 year $60m contract next offseason, he could take his $11m next year and the Mavs give him a 2 year $49m contract the following offseason

It would be a gamble but in theory it COULD happen (probably won't because his agent would strongly advise him to take the $60m in hand) but it is possible
I think they are several ways to make Giannis and Josh 17m caphold work.

Declining WCS PO and dumping Powell and the Mavs sit at 65m + Josh caphold. If Giannis announces to sign with us there is Always the S&T option etc.

So i think there is a way...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #183
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:

Maybe we bump Hinton. Make Terry a two-way. Two-way guys can spend infinite time with the Mavs this year.

Then again, sounds like Terry has a full contract. If we bump him to two-way we lose rights and he may just sign elsewhere.
No matter who gets bumped I think I'll be disappointed. Better not be Boban.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:22 AM   #184
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tyrrell Terry already signed a 2+2 main roster contract. He isn't going anywhere.

What Woj referred to today wasn't about adding two additional players/roster spots to teams; he was saying teams could have 15 active players in every game instead of 13. Rosters will remain at 15 main spots and the two 2-ways.

I still think it's an absolute certainty that JJ is cut, barring some batshit out-of-nowhere trade between now and nut-cutting time.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #185
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Tyrrell Terry already signed a 2+2 main roster contract. He isn't going anywhere.

What Woj referred to today wasn't about adding two additional players/roster spots to teams; he was saying teams could have 15 active players in every game instead of 13. Rosters will remain at 15 main spots and the two 2-ways.

I still think it's an absolute certainty that JJ is cut, barring some batshit out-of-nowhere trade between now and nut-cutting time.
Another possibility. Can we trade him for a 2nd round pick or anything?
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #186
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The cart is way out ahead of the horse

Old 12-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #187
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
The cart is way out ahead of the horse
Yeah.

I'm about 98% confident that the guy who gets cut will be Barea.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #188
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

You know Miami has kept Haslim for years and their fans always assumed he'd be the one cut instead of younger promising player.

I might be in the minority here but it's not going to shock me if JJB is on this roster opening night.

The Mavs are loyal to their long time vets.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #189
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Yeah.

Cutting Terry for Jjb is certifiable. People still talk about it even though he has a 2 year deal and likely a long successful future ahead. There is no logic, even with Luka saying he still has game left. Do everything you can to keep him around in some capacity but obviously not at the cost of our future.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #190
SMC0007
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
You know Miami has kept Haslim for years and their fans always assumed he'd be the one cut instead of younger promising player.

I might be in the minority here but it's not going to shock me if JJB is on this roster opening night.

The Mavs are loyal to their long time vets.
Sure but have they cut a guy projected late lottery, just outside the lottery fr him? Legit question because I'm too lazy to look it up

Old 12-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #191
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not sure if Terry can be bumped to a 2-way deal given that he wasn't undrafted and already signed his contract but how would the Mavs lose rights that would allow Terry to sign elsewhere?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #192
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

So, the Haslem thing is similar, but it's a bit different. It's fairly commonly known that he agreed to take less money back in the day to make the Lebron/Bosh/Wade era work. The perception is that the organization has been making it up to him ever since by paying him more than his market value.

NOW, he's probably just like Barea's situation - valuable at the minimum because of his impact on the team's culture. But, it started as a means of "payback."

And, while Miami has the same "flexibility" goals as the Mavs for next summer, they aren't quite as well positioned to get there. They had to let people go, like DJJ and Crowder, because they didn't want to play on 1-year deals. They are fortunate Dragic agreed to do that, imo. So, in their situation, an experienced guy like Haslem who's willing to accept a 1-year deal to take up a roster spot actually isn't much of a sacrifice for them.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't be SHOCKED if Barea is here, either, mostly because of his relationship with Luka. But, looking at the situation logically and ESPECIALLY financially, it definitely seems like cutting Barea is the plan. I don't think they'd cut Brunson, and they literally CAN'T cut Terry without having dead money next season. I suppose I could see them cutting WCS or Boban, but I just don't think they will.

Gonna be interesting!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #193
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Not sure if Terry can be bumped to a 2-way deal given that he wasn't undrafted and already signed his contract but how would the Mavs lose rights that would allow Terry to sign elsewhere?
He has an NBA contract. The only way to reduce it to a two-way would be to waive him and offer him a two-way. Whenever you waive a guy, you lose rights.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #194
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Yeah.

I wouldn’t be so confident. Luka apparently loves Barea and wants him here. I think the Mavs value him too.

If so then
1) waive Iwundu, Johnson, or Terry
2) stretch Powell (can we even? Would we?)
3) trade someone
Old 12-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #195
KillerLeft

Quote:

If so then
I buy the Luka/Barea relationship, and I won't be totally shocked if he's here, but I can almost guarantee that the victim wouldn't be among those three. Maybe one of them gets traded, but there's no way one of them gets cut, I don't think.

I just can't imagine that after going to all of this trouble to be as financially flexible as possible between now and the end of next summer (when Luka signs his extension) that they'll casually decide to put millions of dead money on NEXT YEAR'S cap. I think that would be insane.

Johnson...maybe. He's an expiring guy. But, do we really think Barea is worth $16-17 million for one year? That's essentially what it would cost to cut Johnson for Barea, and you'd lose that big expiring deal (trade asset) in the process.

Going to keep saying it, but IF they want to cut someone for Barea (my prediction is that they won't) there are really only three possibilities: Brunson, WCS or Boban. All three of those guys can be cut in such a way where the dead money won't carry on past this season, and their salaries this year aren't as prohibitive as Johnson's.

If you told me you were from the future and you KNEW they cut someone for Barea's spot, my first guess would be WCS.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 12-04-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #196
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m still of the mind that the most likely scenario is that Barea gets cut, collects his 2.6 million guaranteed, and signs on as a player development coach.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #197
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I’m still of the mind that the most likely scenario is that Barea gets cut, collects his 2.6 million guaranteed, and signs on as a player development coach.
That’s my thought as well

And if JJB stays in shape we can bring him back to the roster if we make a mid season trade or someone gets injured early in the season (if it’s someone who’s on an expiring so we would cut them). I’m not sure if an injured player exception extends to a roster spot
Old 12-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #198
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I wouldn’t be so confident. Luka apparently loves Barea and wants him here. I think the Mavs value him too.

If so then
2) stretch Powell (can we even? Would we?)
3) trade someone
Who cares that Luka likes JJB. Of course he really likes him but people are getting a bit carried away. Luka isn't gonna get butt hurt and want out of Dallas because we didn't cut a young guy who could grow with him for JJB and his last stand. Maybe JJB end up somehow on the roster but JJonhson and Teery should be off limits. Idk about Iwundi but he signed a 2yr minimum deal too. If any of these guys with guaranteed contracts get cut for JJB, then the MBT fuct up. Maybe they will give me some free money since they're just handing it out.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #199
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I buy the Luka/Barea relationship, and I won't be totally shocked if he's here, but I can almost guarantee that the victim wouldn't be among those three. Maybe one of them gets traded, but there's no way one of them gets cut, I don't think.

I just can't imagine that after going to all of this trouble to be as financially flexible as possible between now and the end of next summer (when Luka signs his extension) that they'll casually decide to put millions of dead money on NEXT YEAR'S cap. I think that would be insane.

Johnson...maybe. He's an expiring guy. But, do we really think Barea is worth $16-17 million for one year? That's essentially what it would cost to cut Johnson for Barea, and you'd lose that big expiring deal (trade asset) in the process.

Going to keep saying it, but IF they want to cut someone for Barea (my prediction is that they won't) there are really only three possibilities: Brunson, WCS or Boban. All three of those guys can be cut in such a way where the dead money won't carry on past this season, and their salaries this year aren't as prohibitive as Johnson's.

If you told me you were from the future and you KNEW they cut someone for Barea's spot, my first guess would be WCS.
Yeah I may be changing my opinion. Here's my list from most likely to least.

1) Iwundu - literally minimum salary. Non-guaranteed money. His salary is equal to a cap hold and we also have a lot of other guys who may outcompete him both defensively and offensively at the same position (Green/Bey/DFS/Richardson/Johnson). He may not even have to mess up to get cut. If Green comes in ready for the NBA, then Iwundu is just insurance.

2) WCS - you're right. 4.2 mill this year is guaranteed, but zero guaranteed next year. I really hope that it clicks for him both offensively and defensively. He was borderline

3) Boban - expiring/UFA after this year. No money guaranteed next. Luka loves him and he's a great guy to have in a locker room, though. He can also fill it up offensively as a change of pace, but he may be vulnerable with four other centers (KP/Powell/Kleber/WCS)

4) Tery - He's cheap and we'd lose no money, but we'd be throwing away a pick, even if it was just a second rounder. I don't see it unless he comes in and is a punk or unprofessional. Even then I think we give him more than one chance.

5) Powell - Can be waived or traded, but I'm not sure if are willing to do either. Mavs are really high on him and may just let him stick around for his contract like Lee. I don't see them paying picks--even second-rounders for teams to take him and I don't see him just getting bought out, even if he's limited as we all expect he will be. If they do, they'll probably wait to the TDL or offseason to do that so it's less expensive.

6) Johnson- no money next year, but I think we've been trying to get him for two years and he seems like a perfect vet with a chip on his shoulder and some nice skills. He's going to play some much-needed 4 and may even play some small-ball 5.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #200
VA-Mavs-Fan

I read that Iwundu's deal is 2 yr. guaranteed, 2nd year might be player option