Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-17-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
Are we championship contenders yes or no? If the answer is no, you agree with me or you're just pessimistic too.
Yes, we are contenders until proven otherwise.

We initially didn't think we were contenders last season and then started clicking at the right time.

We aren't favorites by any means, but we are one addition away from that level of team. Obviously you have to prove it... like Phx and a few other paper contenders.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:02 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are we championship contenders yes or no? If the answer is no, you agree with me or you're just pessimistic too.
But you seem to have the attitude that we'll NEVER be contenders because nobody wants to play with Luka. I don't think that's true.

Are we championship contenders in 2023? My honest answer is... I don't know. But probably not. But I think we're in a far better position than most to be in the title hunt over the next decade or so, so I don't think I'm being pessimistic at all.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 09-25-2022 at 05:17 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
That's an extremely pessimistic take. Frankly I think our roster is better than the one last year- although the rest of the West got better too, so I don't necessarily expect us to make the conference finals again either.

Personally I don't think our lack of free agent success has anything to with Luka's usage rate or a "stigma" about the Mavs. I think it's the simple fact that there are only three actual free agent destination cities in the NBA- New York, LA, and Miami. That's it. You don't see free agents lining up to go to Philly or Chicago or Houston either. Look at Cleveland. They had Lebron for 11 years and they could never attract anyone either.
I agree his take is pessimistic, but you also can't mention Cleveland and Dallas in the same sentence like they are the same city in the same situation. DFW is the fourth largest metro area in the country now with a high profile owner. At some point you can't keep making excuses as to why players don't want to play here.

I understand Schroder wanting to play in LA, but I also wonder how interested the Mavs even were. I mean, if they gave him the "Dragic" offer, then of course he wouldn't come here.

It still comes down to a simple fact though. An injury to Luka or Dinwiddie could put us into the lottery real quick. We need an insurance guard. Period.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

It still comes down to a simple fact though. An injury to Luka or Dinwiddie could put us into the lottery real quick. We need an insurance guard. Period.
I agree with this and feel Bledsoe could be that piece.
As I mentioned in another post, I'm fine with grooming a young player to fill the insurance role, but Bledsoe would be immediate insurance.

I also think we need legit traditional sized insurance at center.
Maxi and Wood (and some Bertans) are legit small ball centers so Powell is expendable imo.

Honestly, if we added Bledsoe and Dwight Howard, I think we would be set to start the season.

Luka/Bledsoe/Dorsey/Hardy
Dinwiddie/THJ/Frank/Pinson
DFS/Bullock/Green
Wood/Maxi/Bertans
McGee/Howard/Powell

Obviously, we don't have the roster spot, but I'd feel more comfortable with more veteran insurance at the 1 and 5.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:10 AM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree his take is pessimistic, but you also can't mention Cleveland and Dallas in the same sentence like they are the same city in the same situation. DFW is the fourth largest metro area in the country now with a high profile owner. At some point you can't keep making excuses as to why players don't want to play here.
I totally disagree. When it comes to NBA free agency, I don't think there is much of a difference between Dallas and Cleveland. Again, I think history shows us that there are only three cities free agents find attractive, and Dallas isn't one of them. And I'm almost positive players don't give a flying f*ck about a high profile owner. You can say I'm making excuses about players not wanting to play here- but they don't seem to want to play in Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Houston, DC, or Toronto either. All of them are very large metro areas and have a free agent history as abysmal as the Mavs' or worse.

Quote:
Well I think most teams would be in the lottery if they lost their 1st team all-NBA superstar to injury. But yes, we definitely need another guard, no argument here.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Nobody really can debunk what I say just call me pessimistic, yet no one is willing to say we're contenders either. So maybe some think we're slightly better than I do but ultimately the goal is winning a championship we have a 24 year old who's career will probably surpass Dirk yet no one realistically thinks we're contenders. So you may be more optimistic than me to an extent, but you know the deal we're not going to beat at least 3 great teams and win a title with this roster. You cannot win a title with one great player and a bunch of average players when there's 8-10 better teams than you that's just common sense. So congratulations for thinking we might can get back to the Conference Finals, but probably wouldn't even bet a lot of money on that either.

Last edited by JustJay; 09-17-2022 at 01:46 PM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Because you're being too simple-minded about it. How many thought we were contenders before last season? We made it to the WCF after losing KP and Luka suffering an injury to start the Jazz series. Nobody could have predicted that.

We just don't know. Maybe we are play-in, maybe we are top 4. Could easily go either way depending on many variables.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

When you tell people what they don't want to hear, they'll do anything to fight with you, that applies to anything in life.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you tell people what they don't want to hear, they'll do anything to fight with you, that applies to anything in life.
IMO, the thing people don't want to hear is a severely black and white approach when not a single game has been played. Lol. The rest is just your opinion/projection. I can go as far as agreeing that we don't look like favorites to win a championship, but last year is the lastest reminder
and proof that you need games played to understand what you're even looking at. Right now, You have zero evidence to suggest such a drastically different opinion than what we did last year.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

That's what is interesting about this board is the variety of opinions.
There are pessimists and optimists and those in between.

I personally think we addressed some of our issues (rebounding and interior D) from last season and Dinwiddie could very well make up for the loss of Brunson. If Brunson was our primary playmaker, it would be one thing (like losing Nash). But we have the best playmaker in the league who is only getting better so all we need is a secondary playmaker and I'm not so sure we don't already have that in Dinwiddie. So it seems to me that we may only need a 3rd option playmaker and I'm fine with trying out some of the young guys on our current roster. I'd rather try that at first than give up assets for players that might not provide much more.

I lean more toward the optimist side because we are more balanced. The question will be if we can stay healthy and if the rest of the team can collectively step it up a bit.

We easily have the trade pieces to go out and get an adequate third option playmaker imo. That person doesn't necessarily need to be the 2nd best player on this team which is what I think some on this board are expecting. Luka is good enough to carry a very strong supporting cast and as long as the others collectively step up and at least live up to expectations, we should be a legit contender for a top 4 seed.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Nuance is a lovely thing in life, and I mean that sincerely. Mavs started off last season as total garbage and were one of the best teams in the second half.

I think the important thing is to focus on what the FO and coaching staff are going for. Brunson will be an addition by subtraction on defense as the team will be very big now. That will almost certainly translate to better defense AND rebounding especially with the additions of Wood (his rebounding, not his D) and McGee. We do forget how bad the rebounding was. Fixing that alone would be a big step in the right direction.

So it's basically a design of Luka/Spencer running everything and a stalwart defensive surrounding them. Add in THJ and Wood for offense, and there is little to panic about. Just gotta get another handler.

I feel that this has to be their strategy because, as you said, stars/players aren't coming to play here. So you have to do something creative to make the team a contender in a different way. Worked last season. It'll just be different with a bigger lineup now and Wood's production replacing Brunson's.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:40 PM   #12
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I?m a little optimistic on Bertans this year.
With the addition of McGee and a training camp, he could become a useful weapon as a stretch 4.

We are stuck with him, and he can flat out shoot in the right situation, and I think being sandwiched between 2 decent defenders can let him focus on offense.

Not saying it will happen, but I think he could become much more of a factor than last season.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

If the only thing that stands between Wood starting is the mavs little promise to start Mcgee, then I'd rather he not be on the team. Wood has the potential to ball the f out.

Mcgee is a solid rotational piece that would be beneficial, but not at the expense of pissing off Wood.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
If the only thing that stands between Wood starting is the mavs little promise to start Mcgee, then I'd rather he not be on the team. Wood has the potential to ball the f out.

Mcgee is a solid rotational piece that would be beneficial, but not at the expense of pissing off Wood.
Well winning talks and bs walks. If Wood coming off bench doesn't equate to wins, then it won't continue.

I'm not really sure who is going to start either. Is it Luka/Spence/DFS/Kleber/Javale or Luka/Spence/Bullock/DFS/Javale?

Old 09-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #15
Aplus23

Aplus23 has a spectacular aura aboutAplus23 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Doesn't matter who starts, it's about who finishes. Wood is gonna play starter minutes and probably finish games as well which is most important. Mcgee gives some size to the starting line-up, I also like the contrast between the 2. Defenses are gonna have to adjust mid game to different playstyles between the 2
Aplus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

7 days to camp. 6 to media day?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DSJ signs with the Hornets. That leaves Bledsoe as the last remaining impact insurance guard I'd be interested in.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly doubt we fill that last spot.

Maybe we look in the bargain bin at the TDL by trading Powell's expiring, but I think the thought is that

1) Dinwiddie can step up with a whole season and camp - I think this is plausible
2) THJ's return and Wood can make up for the 16ppg we got from Brunson - I think this is likely. Wood averaged 18ppg. THJ averaged 14ppg so even just the addition of Wood (if he matches last year's stats) would make up for the loss
3) SD and THJ can handle some off-guard ball-handling - I find this doubtful. THJ does not have handles and SD had questionable decision making
4) Dorsey and/or Hardy can fill in as third/fourth PG - Unlikely. Dorsey has NBA experience and averaged 17-6-3 per 36 but we're not sure if he'll even make the roster.

I don't think scoring is anywhere near the problem. Luka can make anyone a scorer (even Powell) and we have a lot of good volume guys (Wood, SD, THJ) and we have a lot of guys that can score if they get it in the right place (DFS, Bullock, Powell, McGee, Bertans)

The real problem is ball-handling. There were a LOT of times where Luka's jumper broke and teams made him iso and teams just played off of him so much that our offense collapsed. THAT is why we needed Brunson. It's not the points. Its the movement when Luka is struggling or on the bench. That, I feel like is still a huge hole on this roster. Frank is an off-guard at best. SD too. THJ is a catch-and-shoot guy who can occasionally drive (but only for himself as he sucks passing it on the move).

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-21-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #19
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I?m pretty meh on Bledsoe, but we def need another ball handler. I haven?t watched him in the last few years. I thought he was pretty washed, but we don?t have much of a choice.

I don?t see how we can bring Wood off the bench and not expect him to leave in a year. He?s our 2-3 best player. How can he not be in the SL? I?m all for Dinwiddie and THJ coming off the bench and running the reserve unit.

Last edited by BPo001; 09-21-2022 at 01:43 PM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #20
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I get the feeling the Mavs FO wants to keep that roster spot open for flexibility. The remaining options are intriguing, but not needle moving. DJ Augustin, Facundo Campazzo, and Elfrid Payton are nice options. I just see them maybe waiting to see how teams get through training camp and what trade options might look like. I still think the need will be filled via trade, but I wouldn't mind either of the three FAs listed.

Edit: these options are obviously outside of Eric Bledsoe.

Last edited by saclare; 09-21-2022 at 04:28 PM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I get the feeling the Mavs FO wants to keep that roster spot open for flexibility. The remaining options are intriguing, but not needle moving. DJ Augustin, Facundo Campazzo, and Elfrid Payton are nice options. I just see them maybe waiting to see how teams get through training camp and what trade options might look like. I still think the need will be filled via trade, but I wouldn't mind either of the three FAs listed.

Edit: these options are obviously outside of Eric Bledsoe.
It would be better to get a guy to go through training camp versus scrambling to sign someone in case Luka or Spencer went down though, but I guess they are comfortable with that risk.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

it's strange to me that posters can read players' minds.

Player X totally cares
Player X totally doesn't care

I don't get it.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Player X totally cares

I don't get it.
I feel safe guessing that Wood 100% wants to start and thinks he should be. Especially given our need for quality bigs. I'd rather bring SD off the bench if I had to make a choice between those 2 *IF* we actually did promise McGee the starting center role. Not having fresh Luka with Wood is hard to comprehend at this point.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #24
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Not having fresh Luka with Wood is hard to comprehend at this point.
Fresh Luka and fresh Wood
Old 09-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #25
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Player X totally cares

I don't get it.
Are you implying Wood came to Dallas in a contract year expecting to come off the bench when he's been a starter for every game the last two seasons?

Dont need to strawman.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Are you implying Wood came to Dallas in a contract year expecting to come off the bench when he's been a starter for every game the last two seasons?

Dont need to strawman.
So I believe Wood is eligible for an extension Dec 15 which they should offer him the second they can. Can't have another Brunson walking situation. You take the risk and lock him up if he takes it.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #27
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So I believe Wood is eligible for an extension Dec 15 which they should offer him the second they can. Can't have another Brunson walking situation. You take the risk and lock him up if he takes it.
Agree 100%. Did MBT learn from the Brunson debacle or not? Enquiring minds want to know. I will take this a step further and say that if they can't sign Wood to an extension early on, then they should consider a trade. There is no history with this guy (so no expectation that he and his agent will seriously consider re-signing) and while I am excited about what he brings to the table, Mavs cannot afford to lose another key player for nothing.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #28
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Proposed trade of the Day:

Mavs trade Powell and Green
Pacers send Theis and McConnnell to the Mavs

Mavs get a veteran PG in McConnell and fill that void as a playmaker for the second unit. Theis can provide all they need as the third string 5. Losing Green may bring some heartburn, but his strengths are not of primary importance to the Mavs at this this time. They need a ball handler. Desperately.

Pacers trade away two longer contracts (McConnel is three years; Theis is two guaranteed and a third as player option). They also get a young potential wing defender in Green.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

4 days to media day
5 days to camp

This is our roster
Old 09-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

4 days to media day
5 days to camp

This is our roster
Old 09-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Bojan to Pistons for Kelly Olynyk and Saben Lee. Doesn't look like any picks are involved.

Mavs fans gonna get upset about this, but let's be honest, Ainge isn't going to gift us a player like that after we just embarrassed them in the playoffs.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Cato says the Mavs are going to rely on Frank to be that ball handler we need.

He hasn't proven he can do that yet, and it takes away from what he does really well IMO. But he is still only 24 and had a good season. He seemed to be that 3rd guard early on last season, but faded in that area as the season progressed.

But until we sign someone else, then we must use the pieces we have. At least we have Hardy waiting in case he fails.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Frank has good handles

He just has no playmaking
Old 09-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #34
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

According to Dinwiddie's IG Jaden Hardy has been lighting up the Mavs vets in pickup games.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
According to Dinwiddie's IG Jaden Hardy has been lighting up the Mavs vets in pickup games.
He?s ultimately the solution I want? he?s got handles, aggressive drives, and potentially a nice jumper

I just saw almost nothing in summer league, but we also could have had the least talented squad around Hardy of any summer league in the last 40 years. Maybe with a supporting cast, he can have low enough gravity to be successful.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #36
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mean pickup games where nobody plays defense? Playing against plumbers and construction workers.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I haven't found this on his IG. Could you link it?

And yeah, Hardy is made for playground type basketball, but he needs to prove it in organized basketball. He is taking over trey burke's role of a guy that you need scoring from in a pinch.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #38
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
I haven't found this on his IG. Could you link it?

And yeah, Hardy is made for playground type basketball, but he needs to prove it in organized basketball. He is taking over trey burke's role of a guy that you need scoring from in a pinch.
It was on his story yesterday I think? He has another post today that says ?the rook @jhardy ran the table in pickup again? so Dinwiddie is drinking more wine to celebrate.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I really want Hardy to succeed. If he turns out, then the Brunson fiasco will be completely erased from my memory.

Dirk came in and got 20mpg and put up 8pts, 3reb on a 40/21/77 split. People forget that a HoFer like Dirk didn't hit the ground running.

If we're okay playing Hardy until he improves, I could see a lot of growth in him. Then again, this team is already win-now unlike the 98-99 Mavs. Not sure how much Kidd will play him unless we get some blowouts. All I know is he probably won't improve without playing time and he doesn't look ready to contribute yet.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-24-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Frank Ntilikina is made of glass, so any injury and suddenly Hardy will get those minutes.

And any injury to Luka or Spencer also catapults Hardy.

Not really worried about him getting a chance unless they just instantly d-league him.