Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seems that Harry Reid isn't only head of congress, he's head of Nevada as well.

Talk about heavy-handed. Good...cut power to Las Vegas. Idiot.
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/...ves/010643.php

Quote:
Harry Reid has threatened to use his position in Congress to block the construction of four coal-fired electrical plants in Nevada. In a letter to three separate firms, Reid told them in no uncertain terms that his state doesn't need any of their dirty electricity -- in places like Las Vegas:

Quote:
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada sent a letter this week to four companies telling them not to build planned coal-burning power plants in his state.

Reid's letter, dated Monday, was addressed to the corporate leaders of the Sierra Pacific Resources, private equity LS Power Group, Dynegy Inc. and Sithe Global Power LLC. A copy of the letter was obtained by Reuters on Thursday.

"I am writing to each of you regarding your company's proposal to build new coal-fired power plants in eastern Nevada and to express my strong opposition to those plants," Reid wrote.

The Democratic senator said he will use his influential post in Congress to keep coal plants out of Nevada.

"Because I believe that developing renewable energy in Nevada is far preferable to coal for the sake of our economy, public health and the environment, I will use every means at my disposal to prevent the construction of new coal-fired power plants in Nevada that do not capture and permanently store greenhouse gas emissions," Reid wrote.
More than most states, electricity is critical to Nevada's growth. The state has almost unbearably hot weather in its south most of the year, and any expansion relies on the modern marvel of air conditioning. Gaming, its biggest draw, relies even more heavily on reliable power generation.

Nevada's population increased 150% between 1980 and 2000, and it has not let up since. It has been the fastest-growing state most of the last 25 years. That kind of growth requires infrastructure, including electricity. So what does Harry have in mind for his home state? He says the state's needs can be met through "new renewable energy, energy efficiency and demand-side management."

That would be wonderful -- but shouldn't that be a decision for Nevada's state government? Why would Reid stick his nose where it doesn't belong? Well, the people who represent the coal-plant owners might give you an idea. Bracewell & Giuliani LLC handle the PR for Sithe Global Power ... and yes, that means Rudy Giuliani, the front-runner for the GOP presidential nomination.

Could this be another kind of power play altogether?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Geez....

By all means, develop a renewable energy. Fine, fine.

But come on, you idiot. Your state is growing, and it thrives on tourism that isn't about to stop anytime soon.

use your head. you moron.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the actual report, he's more of an idiot than I thought. So he doesn't want coal, he doesn't want nuclear but he wants "renewables". Idiot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070727/..._reid_power_dc

Quote:
"Because I believe that developing renewable energy in Nevada is far preferable to coal for the sake of our economy, public health and the environment, I will use every means at my disposal to prevent the construction of new coal-fired power plants in Nevada that do not capture and permanently store greenhouse gas emissions," Reid wrote.

Reid said he'd rather have the state focus on renewable power and energy efficiency. He also opposes nuclear power for Nevada and the Yucca Mountain site in the state for storage of nuclear waste.

Reid said "the state's demand for energy can be met largely through new renewable energy, energy efficiency and demand-side management."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-27-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

there are other ways to produce electricity than coal fired plants, and those power generation facilities that do not use coal don't put the crap into the air like coal does.

nevada gets about a quarter of its power from hydro, and another quarter from gas. those are much cleaner fuels.

if we keep building coal plants instead of becoming more efficient, and also investing in renewables, we'll never get cleaner air.

I'm for cleaner air...how about you?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
there are other ways to produce electricity than coal fired plants, and those power generation facilities that do not use coal don't put the crap into the air like coal does.

nevada gets about a quarter of its power from hydro, and another quarter from gas. those are much cleaner fuels.

if we keep building coal plants instead of becoming more efficient, and also investing in renewables, we'll never get cleaner air.

I'm for cleaner air...how about you?
If sir Harry wants to put some sort of carbon tax or carbon limit on those coal-fired plants then that at least makes some sense. But a blanket ban on the two most economical methods of getting new sources of energy that will improve the lives of his constituents is silly imo.

And you know the answer here, if you are opting for gas generation fine, but you and I both know there isn't going to be an increase in hydro in Nevada. Does this hydro come from the same river that the west has completely decimated, the colarodo? I don't think they'll get much more out of that dry river bed. A pet-peeve of mine.

So is it your proposal mavie to ban all new coal-fired plants and nuclear plants no matter how clean they are constructed?

I'm for an improved standard of living, longer lives and more prosperity...how about you?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
If sir Harry wants to put some sort of carbon tax or carbon limit on those coal-fired plants then that at least makes some sense. But a blanket ban on the two most economical methods of getting new sources of energy that will improve the lives of his constituents is silly imo.
it's not just the atmospheric warming, it's the pollutants.

"improving the lives of his constituents"???? there is currently plenty of power in nevada, the people there don't have any issues or detrimental affects from not having sufficient power. seems to me that if the air quality declines due to the pollution produced by the coal plants THAT isn't "improving the lives of his constituents". quite the reverse.

Quote:
And you know the answer here, if you are opting for gas generation fine, but you and I both know there isn't going to be an increase in hydro in Nevada. Does this hydro come from the same river that the west has completely decimated, the colarodo? I don't think they'll get much more out of that dry river bed. A pet-peeve of mine.

So is it your proposal mavie to ban all new coal-fired plants and nuclear plants no matter how clean they are constructed?

I'm for an improved standard of living, longer lives and more prosperity...how about you?
if the power generators agree to specific emission standards (which btw may be what reid is seeking by his statements) I'd agree to let them build. if they will not agree to these controls and limits, then no, we shouldn't allow these type plants to be built.

the same is true here in tx with txu. if they can't build a coal fired plant that has the controls built in to stop the emissions, they shouldn't be allowed to build it.

there's a lot of wide open desert in nevada, with a high incidence of wind....guess what they should be building? with the very low number of days without strong sun in this arid area, guess what else will be very feasible?

the power generators will build whatever is the cheapest type plant they can, and the affect on our environment is one of the least important items to them. that is their focus, making the greatest profit possible. they need to be forced to build what is the least detrimental to our environment.

I have a gut feeling that is what this affair is all about.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
it's not just the atmospheric warming, it's the pollutants.

"improving the lives of his constituents"???? there is currently plenty of power in nevada, the people there don't have any issues or detrimental affects from not having sufficient power. seems to me that if the air quality declines due to the pollution produced by the coal plants THAT isn't "improving the lives of his constituents". quite the reverse.
Then why build any additional capacity if they don't need it? That's a non-sequiter to me.

Quote:
there's a lot of wide open desert in nevada, with a high incidence of wind....guess what they should be building? with the very low number of days without strong sun in this arid area, guess what else will be very feasible?
Not wind, that's for sure...The problem with it is demand leveling and providing it when needed. Great when it's blowing, not so great when it's not. When better battery storage mechanisms are prevalent and less expensive then possibly. But you know what I can't stand those wind-towers...if you are against drilling in Anwar, it would seem you might also be against wind-farms, those things look like hell.

Quote:
the power generators will build whatever is the cheapest type plant they can, and the affect on our environment is one of the least important items to them. that is their focus, making the greatest profit possible. they need to be forced to build what is the least detrimental to our environment.

I have a gut feeling that is what this affair is all about.
Since we are talking about gut feelings, mine are that this has something to do with Harry's or his buds land-holdings.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

If only the power plants had bought land from the Real Estate broker Harry he would not object.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

I read an interesting story about TXU plans for wind farms recently. The problems with windfarms has always been their inability to scale when needed, i.e. to store power or deliver it during times when the wind isn't blowing. Either new batteries or some other mechanism has to be developed.

The TXU plan is to use the windfarms to compress air when the wind is blowing and use that compressed air to drive power generation when the wind is not blowing. Pretty ingenious, I have also heard of a car in India that is planning on running on compressed air as well.

It's an "organic" battery.