Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #2641
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs win tomorrow, it would still really help if Chicago could win Game 5. It would push back the Finals start 2 days. Two more days rest for the Mavs, two more days to gameplan, and two more days for Caron to maybe get back (not counting on it, but if it's going to happen, every extra day helps).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #2642
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Actually they remind me a lot of the 07 Mavs. One phenomenal player surrounded by a bunch of decent-to-mediocre players.
Deng had a terrific season (easily all defense team), Noah is damn good.

Rose played horrible playoffs. I say switch Rose with a healthy Paul and the Bulls beat the Heat.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #2643
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Gonna be a god damn bloodbath.
I'm really trying to stay optimistic. One thing that is encouraging is that this game went to OT even though the Bulls played like idiots. The Mavs are infinitely smarter than the Bulls.

I'm trying to focus on the advantages the Mavs have. They're a better rebounding team, a much better 3 pt shooting team, and a much deeper team. I just hope that's enough.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #2644
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Watching the Bulls offense is painful to watch.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #2645
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm really trying to stay optimistic. One thing that is encouraging is that this game went to OT even though the Bulls played like idiots. The Mavs are infinitely smarter than the Bulls.

I'm trying to focus on the advantages the Mavs have. They're a better rebounding team, a much better 3 pt shooting team, and a much deeper team. I just hope that's enough.
They also have the best player.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #2646
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

Rose played horrible playoffs. I say switch Rose with a healthy Paul and the Bulls beat the Heat.
Perhaps I should have said "decent-to-mediocre offensive players." There's no real reliable offensive weapon on that team after Rose.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #2647
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
They also have the best player.
Before this playoffs, I would've said that Lebron and Wade are both better than Dirk. But... f*ck it. Dirk rules.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #2648
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

End of the day, I think the mismatches come out pretty even. Heat obviously way more talented on the wings. Mavs better at the PF, C, and PG. What's scary, as you've pointed out, is the sort of vulnerability of feeling like there will be plays where there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop Wade and LeBron from driving. Of course, the Heat will feel the same way with Dirk, but we only have one Dirk.

What I like about the matchup is it puts the Mavs in a really nice position mentally. They won't have homecourt. They won't be favored. But they will simultaneously have the majority of people rooting for them, even people who normally don't. There will be a lot of positive vibes behind them. And they have 5 years of built up rage, not just at losing a title, but at this particular team and one of their players.

The way I see it, if the Mavs can't win a championship with those sorts of motivating factors, then it just wasn't gonna happen. Not unless they somehow lucked out and played the Hawks or something.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #2649
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

It sucks big time that Haslem came back in time and Butler probably wont make it.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #2650
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah, the Bulls' have been getting by all season with excellent defense and rebounding. The offense on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't think they have the pieces offensively to get it done so they've pretty much just built their offense around Rose trying to iso one-on-one to either free himself for a jumper or drive into the teeth of the defense.

Problem is that despite all the accolades, Rose isn't really good enough to make this a workable offense. And when you run into a great defensive team like Miami with a couple of super-athletic wings that can otherwise pack in the paint, the Chicago offense is going to get exposed. Chicago is pretty much screwed if they let a team get to 90 points because Rose takes way too many shots to get his 25 points a night.

I really like Rose because his game is really fun to watch when he's not being asked to do too much, but he's not exactly ready to have an entire offense built around him yet. I don't care what the MVP voters say on that front either.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-24-2011 at 11:17 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #2651
pwd81

pwd81 will become famous soon enough

I think the Bulls had three unforced turnovers in their final three possessions... while the Heat were able to muster three championship celebrations in the same time.

#dribblinoffmyfeets

Last edited by pwd81; 05-24-2011 at 11:18 PM.
pwd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #2652
pwd81

Kidd + Carlisle > Devin + Avery
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #2653
pwd81

Never underestimate greatness.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #2654
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Yeah, the Bulls' have been getting by all season with excellent defense and rebounding. The offense on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't think they have the pieces offensively to get it done so they've pretty much just built their offense around Rose trying to iso one-on-one to either free himself for a jumper or drive into the teeth of the defense.

Problem is that despite all the accolades, Rose isn't really good enough to make this a workable offense. And when you run into a great defensive team like Miami with a couple of super-athletic wings that can otherwise pack in the paint, the Chicago offense is going to get exposed. Chicago is pretty much screwed if they let a team get to 90 points because Rose takes way too many shots to get his 25 points a night.

I really like Rose because his game is really fun to watch when he's not being asked to do too much, but he's not exactly ready to have an entire offense built around him yet. I don't care what the MVP voters say on that front either.
I can agree with that. I think in terms of sheer talent and ability, Rose is probably top 5, but he is NOT a very good floor general/decision-maker.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #2655
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

My ass Rose has no help.

Deng: 20 points, 8-16
Boozer: 20 points, 7-14

Rose: 8-27, 7 turnovers.

Oh yeah...and EVERY starter but Rose had a positive +/-. Boozer with a +9 in 49 minutes. Rose -2 in 48.

Rose is an overrated chucker. Dirk would have killed for Deng, Boozer or Noah in 2006, let alone all three.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #2656
pwd81

Quote:
I can agree with that. I think in terms of sheer talent and ability, Rose is probably top 5, but he is NOT a very good floor general/decision-maker.
He's a better version of Russell Westbrook. But he's no Jason Kidd.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2657
LonghornDub

Chicago responding to an elimination game by scoring 6 points in the first 6 minutes. Well done, sirs.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #2658
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Two things:

1. I have never seen LeBron's jumper this locked in and consistent. He's hitting tough fadeaways and contested threes. It's almost like you don't want him shooting jumpers anymore.

2. Mike Miller's confidence had been gone all year (injuries, personal issues, etc.) to the point where he was worthless. But he had a huge Game 4 and he's playing quite well tonight, so it looks like he might be a threat again.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #2659
LonghornDub

I'm sure the Mavs can't duplicate it since we have nowhere near the same backcourt defense, but Chicago is doing an outstanding job keeping the Heat out of the paint. Only 24 in the paint for the Heat in Game 4, and only 12 in one half tonight. Only guy who's scoring there consistently at all is Bosh, probably do to them overloading on the strong side against Wade and the Queen.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #2660
Mavsfan2thedeath

Mavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to all

This may not really fit this thread.....but what would you do if you were gameplanning against the cHeat? This team really concerns me.
Mavsfan2thedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2661
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Two things:

1. I have never seen LeBron's jumper this locked in and consistent. He's hitting tough fadeaways and contested threes. It's almost like you don't want him shooting jumpers anymore.
True dat, but his (jump-)shot selection is actually fairly predictable - literally everytime Lebron goes left, he takes a jumpshot.

Last edited by LetsGoMavs; 05-26-2011 at 09:06 PM.
LetsGoMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #2662
sefant77
Guru

It sucks that Miller and Haslem coming back playing solid playoffs and we cant get Butler or Roddy back....
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #2663
LonghornDub

Quote:
It sucks that Miller and Haslem coming back playing solid playoffs and we cant get Butler or Roddy back....
Well, Roddy's not hurt, though. He just kinda sucks. Very much unfortunate about CB4, though.

I wish Wade would play 1/2 this bad against the Mavs. It's not just the Bulls' D, either. He's playing like a middling roleplayer. Too bad he'll suddenly start dropping 33 a game in the Finals.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #2664
sefant77
Guru

I meant it took too long for Roddy to come back to make really significant contribution...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #2665
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Still wondering whether the offensive struggles of both teams are the result of their very good defensive efforts or a lack of offensive execution. I wouldn't mind if it was the latter, although it's probably both. To be honest, neither Chicago nor Miami look unbeatable. Good teams, great even at times, but not scary.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #2666
LonghornDub

Quote:
I meant it took too long for Roddy to come back to make really significant contribution...
Maybe, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Still wondering whether the offensive struggles of both teams are the result of their very good defensive efforts or a lack of offensive execution. I wouldn't mind if it was the latter, although it's probably both. To be honest, neither Chicago nor Miami look unbeatable. Good teams, great even at times, but not scary.
I think it's pretty much always both.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #2667
sefant77
Guru

Dont know whats with Wade. He played awesome against Boston.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3708
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #2668
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Yeah, it seems unlikely that Wade would have another series like this one. He's struggling mightily. That said, as long as we can keep guys like Haslem, Miller, Bibby, Chalmers or Jones in check and don't see one or more of them become game changers throughout the series, we would probably be able to compensate increased production from Wade. Two of Miami's wins came in part due to Haslem and Miller's performances in Game 2 and 4, which is something one would want to avoid.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #2669
CadBane
Banned

Refs taking over.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #2670
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The MVP is shooting 35% again.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #2671
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Thibodeau = Dick Vitale's offspring...?
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #2672
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I love that the Mavs and their coaching staff are at home taking notes right now.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #2673
LonghornDub

Kurt Thomas looks like a significantly more competent offensive player than the bulk of the Heat's forwards, even though he can't do anything other than pick and roll/pop.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #2674
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Kurt Thomas looks like a significantly more competent offensive player than the bulk of the Heat's forwards, even though he can't do anything other than pick and roll/pop.
He's also a very good defender and rebounder. I've been calling for him to play all series. He's like an uber PJ Brown.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #2675
LonghornDub

Totally.

God damn, the Bulls go such long stretches playing total garbage offense. This is not just elite Heat D.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #2676
CadBane
Banned

Boozer misses so many shots. I hope Dirk gets half the same looks he does.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #2677
CadBane
Banned

Big Sexy merking the glass.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #2678
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Wade is such a whiny bitch...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #2679
LonghornDub

You know your offense is hot when you're counting on Ronnie Brewer to make 50% of your big jump shots.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #2680
CadBane
Banned

8 rebounds in 14 minutes for Big Sexy

Tags
cadqweefsfordragic, return of the quack!