Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #161
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
While there are quite likely numerous drafts where this type of thing is quite true, the fact of the matter is we have no idea who the best is of any position after only 1 year. Some guys take longer to develop.

Bottom line though - you always want the blue chip talent. Sometimes it doesn't pan out, as nothing is guaranteed, but you prefer the blue chip 100 times out of 100. That is not to imply that there won't be a tremendous prospect there at 9 (possibly someone that proves to be a better player than picked 1-8) but anyone would rather be higher vs. lower.

Sure, we beat the team the Eagles put on the field and I too bet they feel great about it. That said, I wish they felt a little bit worse.
True, you always want "blue chip" talent but when you're looking at such a narrow range of picks (in this case 6 vs. 9) whose to say where the drop off in talent is? Those picks are so close together that it's a virtual crap shoot. For example, look at ESPN's current player ratings. The 6th pick will get you a player rated 96 on a 100 point scale. The 9th pick will get you a 95. Hell the 13th pick, which was about a low as we could have gone, will get you a 94. How confident are you that a 96 is better than a 94? Me, not very because everyone's board will be a little different. McShay's 94 could be a 97 on our board. Look at where we had Lee rated last year relative to all the mocks.

So honestly I'm pretty indifferent between the 6th and 9th picks. There will be a ton of good players available at both slots. When you add in the fact that in order to move up we would have had to purposely tank it's just not worth it. IMO it was more important to the long term health of the franchise to reestablish a mindset after the team quit midyear.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #162
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Not really Cowboys related, but I'm going to the Seahawks-Saints playoff game Saturday. Should be fun (although it probably won't be a good game). I've never been to a non-Cowboys NFL game before.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #163
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
True, you always want "blue chip" talent but when you're looking at such a narrow range of picks (in this case 6 vs. 9) whose to say where the drop off in talent is? Those picks are so close together that it's a virtual crap shoot. For example, look at ESPN's current player ratings. The 6th pick will get you a player rated 96 on a 100 point scale. The 9th pick will get you a 95. Hell the 13th pick, which was about a low as we could have gone, will get you a 94. How confident are you that a 96 is better than a 94? Me, not very because everyone's board will be a little different. McShay's 94 could be a 97 on our board. Look at where we had Lee rated last year relative to all the mocks.

So honestly I'm pretty indifferent between the 6th and 9th picks. There will be a ton of good players available at both slots. When you add in the fact that in order to move up we would have had to purposely tank it's just not worth it. IMO it was more important to the long term health of the franchise to reestablish a mindset after the team quit midyear.
I am done completely speaking with one person on this matter, but I will address this. You are missing my primary point. Dropping from 6th to 9th when there are no top 15 talents for the OL but 2 complete stud CBs that could be gone by 9th (hell, possibly by 6th) is a huge blow all things considered.

Also keep in mind that I (as did most everyone) expected the drop to be much more substantial than it became. We dropped from 6th to 9th but the possibilities out there before I knew for a fact what our final draft spot was (which was when I posted most of my frustrated posts) had us going from a potential 5th selection all the way to 11th or 12th. As it turns out, 3 spots isn't HUGE, but there is still a lot of value there.

As I mentioned previously, our biggest weakness in my opinion (even over the O-Line) is our secondary and losing both Peterson/Prince is to me a substantial blow when, in my mind, a loss and a 6th round pick at least provides a high probability that one will still be there.

Maybe if we lost we would have still traded down, picked up draft picks for the future and missed out all the same. Maybe if we lost we would have passed on both when our pick came up. Maybe if we lost both would have been gone by 6. Who knows... Tons of unknowns and I know that.

I just hope that it doesn't burn us and 3 years from now we can look back (with or without one of Prince/Peterson) and declare the lost year in 2010 to be the reason we hauled in so much talent that is now helping us contend for/win SuperBowls.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #164
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Not really Cowboys related, but I'm going to the Seahawks-Saints playoff game Saturday. Should be fun (although it probably won't be a good game). I've never been to a non-Cowboys NFL game before.
Awesome. Congrats man! Tell us how you enjoy the experience. That is a loud stadium and I would imagine a playoff game will be fairly intense (even if the draw is that boring Seahawk team).
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #165
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, the Seahawks made the playoffs?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #166
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wow, the Seahawks made the playoffs?
It was very strange when I got this ridiculous email that was all "SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!" with a giant celebratory picture.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #167
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Basically that entire post (and your entire argument for that matter) is you saying "no, I understand you are telling me you did consider it, but I am assuming you didn't because you didn't post back to me in a time that meets my needs and because you ranted after a tough loss (a loss in my eyes anyway)."
This is what I like to call "bullshit". You've got nothing and I know it. If you had indeed considered anything other than draft order (eg, how tanking might affect the rest of the organization) you could easily have addressed it by now, but instead you puff out your chest and hope nobody notices that you're full of s____.

Madden29Dan, it's really really really easy to understand the benefit of moving up 3 spots in the draft. Anybody with enough skill to turn on a playstation and stick in the Madden disk can figure this out. I could have saved you a whole lot of effort in this regard:

6 picks before 9. All other things being equal, I'd rather pick earlier than later.

See how easy that was?

It's a bit harder to count the costs of tanking, but regardless even a fool knows that you can't only consider the benefits of an action and completely disregard the costs. (Well, obviously not all fools understand this or we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?)

Personally, I don't think there is anyway on earth Jones could have asked Garrett to tank the game. Not because Garrett was *auditioning* for the HC job and a *W* would help, but instead because tanking the game would have completely undermined Garrett's efforts at constructing the sort of culture in the locker room that he wants.

(locker room culture...not exactly something you have to worry about in your Madden franchise is it?)

With three draft spots you're talking about the marginal difference in talent between two guys that are very, very close in talent to begin with. When thinking about locker room culture, you're talking about something that can have a significant impact upon every player on the team in every game.

Suffice it to say that constructing the *right* (whatever that may be) kind of culture, and avoiding actions which might undermine that culture, is arguably more valuable than 3 draft spots. To never consider this, and then dismiss those who do consider this as *dumb* is the height of foolishness.

But I will give you this Madden29Dan....this isn't the most foolish argument I've seen you make in these forums....that would be your sundry arguments in the "who should be the 'boys next coach" thread...perhaps you're making progress.

Last edited by alexamenos; 01-04-2011 at 11:33 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #168
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
I am a complete moron that has no business doing anything other than waxing the folds in my body where hair tends to grow fastest.
I would disagree... You could easily hurt yourself doing that.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #169
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
It was very strange when I got this ridiculous email that was all "SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!" with a giant celebratory picture.
I would imagine as much. 7-9 doesn't exactly scream winner.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #170
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jerry Jones could name coach Tuesday

link

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones told the team's flagship radio station that the team will make an announcement regarding its head coaching position maybe as soon as Tuesday.

"We had a real busy day yesterday in that regard and we'll have another busy one [Tuesday]," Jones told KRLD-FM. "[We spent] quite a bit of time on the matter last night regarding coach and coaching staff, [and] interviews that are required in the NFL. We'll be moving at a real fast pace.

"I think we'll have a lot of this done by the afternoon here [Tuesday]," Jones said. "We've been working hard overnight got a lot setup, we probably won't really be ready to talk about this until tomorrow some time. That will give you a good idea of the time frame."

Jones was scheduled to interview wide receivers coach Ray Sherman on Tuesday, but multiple sources said interim coach Jason Garrett is the favorite to get the job full time.

Jones was evasive when asked if Garrett had been contacted by other NFL teams. According to league rules, if another NFL team wanted to speak with Garrett, Jones couldn't stop it from happening. But with Garrett under contract, at least through 2011, an NFL team must first contact Jones before setting up any potential interviews for Garrett.

"I'm not going to get into that one way or the other," Jones said. "And again it's just because it has to do ... you might even say competition between clubs if you wanted to.

"Our rules in the NFL, if we want to talk to somebody ... Jason, of course, does have a contract for next year with the Dallas Cowboys for right now. Just to talk to anybody that is with another club, there is a form and a procedure that you have to go [through], and I visit directly with the owners of the team and usually visit with the general manager if they're different."

Jones said he doesn't feel the need to interview Garrett because he knows who he is.

Garrett said Monday he doesn't have any plans to speak with Jones this week other than to discuss the day-to-day operations of the team.

After the Cowboys' 14-13 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles to close the regular season, Jones said he wanted to make a decision by the end of this week.

Jones is supposed to head to New Orleans for Tuesday's Allstate Sugar Bowl, but that might not happen if he's trying to wrap up the hiring process.
Um, this pretty much guarantees that Garrett will be our head coach, doesn't it?

I bet all their "hard work" went into trying to snag assistants before other teams do...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #171
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Um, this pretty much guarantees that Garrett will be our head coach, doesn't it?

I bet all their "hard work" went into trying to snag assistants before other teams do...
Yup... It was long ago wrapped up unfortunately. Hopefully over time he proves me wrong as a Super Bowl victory would be some tasty crow to snack on.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #172
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Awesome. Congrats man! Tell us how you enjoy the experience. That is a loud stadium and I would imagine a playoff game will be fairly intense (even if the draw is that boring Seahawk team).
I think that game is in Seattle, isn't it?

Either way, congrats LD!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #173
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I think that game is in Seattle, isn't it?

Either way, congrats LD!
Ah, right you are... I knew that (brain fart)...

As it turns out, Seattle's stadium is dang loud too so now the draw improves and you still have the intensity.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #174
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I understand the stance when said to the public, but if we lose both Prince and Peterson and one was still on the board at 6 this is going to seriously sting.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #175
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you and Chum already have a couple of pet cats and that's why you're wringing your hands over dropping a few spots. I wouldn't draft an offensive skill player in the first couple of rounds but beyond that there's not much we couldn't use. I'd be ok with a corner but it's not a must with that pick.

As far as those two players go off the top of my head I can't recall two CB's going in the top 8. Usually teams are looking for QB's or size that high up in the draft. It could happen I guess but you really can't accurately slot corners until they run.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #176
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It looks like you and Chum already have a couple of pet cats and that's why you're wringing your hands over dropping a few spots. I wouldn't draft an offensive skill player in the first couple of rounds but beyond that there's not much we couldn't use. I'd be ok with a corner but it's not a must with that pick.

As far as those two players go off the top of my head I can't recall two CB's going in the top 8. Usually teams are looking for QB's or size that high up in the draft. It could happen I guess but you really can't accurately slot corners until they run.
Scanning over the last ten years or so, it appears that more often than not you have the first DB going around 6 to 8 and the next one going around #10 or so. There was one year where the first DB went in the mid-teens. Name was Darrell Revis.

Most years you probably have OL going pretty high, though, and I don't know that we will see that this year. Maybe QB and WR will populate much of the top ten.

If the corners are gone when we pick, I'm guessing that DL would have some value. However, I would think that we need DB help much more than DL.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #177
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:

We could use a lot, but I just don't see a true #9 need outside of OL/CB/FS. Sure, we need DL help with a couple of people leaving this year and sure we could always use a stud ILB if one was there in the Ray Lewis mold and sure we could even use another RB if you want to deem all of our guys a stable of #2s not good enough to ever lead our team to greatness ala Smith.

That said, I don't see the value for this team to pick in that spot without getting OL/CB/FS help. Those are simply our biggest needs so our top pick should be used for that. Can we trade down? Sure. Can we go another route and get a pretty darn good player that will improve our team? Sure. But when the absolutely biggest need in the draft is the one that has two true studs waiting to help someone for the next decade it would be great to grab one.

If one of those guys falls to us, tremendous. No one will be happier than me. If they fall to us and we pass on them (barring a helluva return on a trade down) I will definitely be frustrated, but it won't be the first time (see Julius Jones/Stephen Jackson fiasco).

I love me some Cowboys and I just want this season to be the last like this one for a long, long time. That is the bottom line here. We all are fans and we all want what's best for this group.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #178
Underdog

Texans hire Wade Phillips

Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #179
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
That should make our annual preseason game with them a bit more interesting.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #180
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Knew it was coming...

Sigh... So be it.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #181
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Knew it was coming...

Sigh... So be it.

No doubt the team played better under Garrett, however his offensive play calling is suspect.

I like Garrett but truly thinks he is offensive coordinator and nothing more.

Make me eat crow JG, just as Kitna made me do this season.

Last edited by Mav Addict; 01-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #182
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Knew it was coming...

Sigh... So be it.
I don't understand why you would sigh about that. Who out there is a better option?

Cowher isn't coming here, and Gruden is horribly overrated.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #183
chumdawg
Guru

Damn Andrew Luck, not coming out. That sucks for us!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #184
dirno2000
Diamond Member

That it does. I'm hoping Gabbert slips into the top 8. Dilfer is really high on him so it's possible.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #185
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Any impact players coming out in the draft to fill any of the following positions.

Defensive front 7, Offensive Line, RB?

As for CB, unless there is a "Prime-Time" available, I'm not interested. Give me a freakin beast player to impact the front 7 and watch our current DB's improve. It's all about pressure on the QB, and sadly this year, the Cowboys were inconsistent at best.

Spencer disappeared...I would like to see another Ware type of impact player, if there is one out there, but I would also like that player to have a bit of a mean streak in him. Ware is freakin awesome, but he appears to be a really nice guy and doesn't seem to strike the fear of pain into anyone.

Think back to early Cowboys...okay not too early, but someone like Randy White would actually intimidate other players...heck he scared his own team when he played, so you know the opposition would have to change their britches a few times during the game.

In the 90's, Haley had this type of impact.

I would like to see the Cowboys get someone on the front 7, who not only has great technique, but also knocks the snot out of the other guy on EVERY play.

Imagine how much that type of player would free up Ware to make an even bigger impact.

The Cowboys defense appears to be more a finesse defense and until they get the smash mouth intimidation factor going, they will continue to be inconsistent.

So with that in mind, are there any crazy type studs that might be a target in the first round for the Cowboys?

On the flip side, no doubt OL...any Larry Allan type psycho's out there...someone who could help the running game by pancake blocking a few people and also striking the fear of pain?

Last...an impact RB. I know we have a stable of good RB's, but are there any potential Impact Great RB's. Think about it, how far down did the Titans draft when they picked up Chris Johnson...are their any sleeper Gems out there?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #186
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
That it does. I'm hoping Gabbert slips into the top 8. Dilfer is really high on him so it's possible.
I've seen some people think that Mallett and maybe even Cam Newton climb into the top ten. I sure hope so!

That was an ugly pick Mallett threw at the end of that bowl game.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #187
dirno2000
Diamond Member

That's my concern about Mallet. I only watched Arkansas twice this year: the Alabama game and the Sugar Bowl and both times he melted down late with interceptions. I'm down on him but I'm hoping his tools elevate him in the next few months. He certainly looks like a quarterback.

I'm not sure what to make of Newton draft wise but it wouldn't suprise me to see him shoot up the board. Especially with a good game against Oregon.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #188
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1173372

I haven't followed college ball all that much this year...so I just read this article. Is this guy talented as well as perhaps a bit dirty/intimidating. Could this be the type of player that could get the Cowboys to change from Finesse to Smash Mouth?

Can he come out and then slide to the 9th pick?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #189
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Fuller made Peterson look pretty ordinary tonight. Of course Fuller looks like a big time prospect every time I see him.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #190
LonghornDub

Wow, the Seahawks-Saints game was 10x more fun than I thought it'd be. Everybody already knows this, but Qwest Field is just insanely loud. It was just as loud as several college stadiums I've been to that hold 30,000+ more people.

Speaking of massive stadiums, it turns out I'm also going to the Super Bowl. Flying into DFW for a couple days for it. Should be an absolute blast, even though our team obviously won't be in it.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #191
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Wow, the Seahawks-Saints game was 10x more fun than I thought it'd be. Everybody already knows this, but Qwest Field is just insanely loud. It was just as loud as several college stadiums I've been to that hold 30,000+ more people.

Speaking of massive stadiums, it turns out I'm also going to the Super Bowl. Flying into DFW for a couple days for it. Should be an absolute blast, even though our team obviously won't be in it.
Lucky schmuck.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #192
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha a free agent. He'd assuredly cost a fortune, but man, he's a top 2 cornerback in this league. We'd have to be interested, right? In 14 games opponents went 13/33 for 205 yards and no touchdowns against him.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 01-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #193
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha a free agent. He'd assuredly cost a fortune, but man, he's a top 2 cornerback in this league. We'd have to be interested, right? In 14 games opponents went 13/33 for 205 yards and no touchdowns against him.
Wow, that would be amazing. Much, much more expensive than a younger guy would be but hey, his madden rating is 98.

Seriously though - while rather unlikely due to cost, I would be all over it if we could somehow afford this with help from the release of Roy/Barber (though Roy is going to really hurt in the first year). You could then use the 9th pick in the draft for DL/ILB/OT help.

You could also look FS, but dang, that would be some insane money being spent on the secondary. My hope is that if you bring in a new CB that one of the current CBs (preferably Newman - especially how he has been hitting people the last 2 years) would move to FS.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #194
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Normally you would expect Jerry to be all over him but we've all heard the rumors about his cash flow problems due to the massive stadium debt. I read this morning that he was leading the pack of owners pushing for a lockout which, if true, may lend credence to the though that he’s in desperate need of financial relief.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #195
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Normally you would expect Jerry to be all over him but we've all heard the rumors about his cash flow problems due to the massive stadium debt. I read this morning that he was leading the pack of owners pushing for a lockout which, if true, may lend credence to the though that he’s in desperate need of financial relief.
Man, what a shame if that is indeed the case.

Regarding the possibility of bringing in Asomugha, this is being written as a comparison to us bringing in Deion so many years ago... Interesting.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #196
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I've seen some people think that Mallett and maybe even Cam Newton climb into the top ten. I sure hope so!

That was an ugly pick Mallett threw at the end of that bowl game.
Albert Breer heard from a scout that Newton could be the first QB and possibly the first pick in the draft. There's still a possibility that we could get, at worst, the 7th player on our board.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #197
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Albert Breer heard from a scout that Newton could be the first QB and possibly the first pick in the draft. There's still a possibility that we could get, at worst, the 7th player on our board.
I have been seeing that on some well-respected mocks, as well. It just blows my mind. He is an extraordinary talent, but he can't make all of the NFL throws, and by the time he has developed, whatever coach it was who drafted him could be long-gone. High picks used on developmental players are coach-killers. Cam would also have to adjust to the type of hits he will take in the NFL, and the ability of opposing defenses to keep him in the pocket. When I watch him, he is consistently late in his throws and reads, and that is deadly in the NFL.

Having a mauling offensive line with a huge size advantage along with a dynamic run game makes Auburn's passing attack somewhat deceptive. If he were to go early, it would most likely be to a bad team who doesn't enjoy the advantages that he did in college. He will get hit early and often, and for a body as big as his is, that could be trouble.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #198
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, that would be amazing. Much, much more expensive than a younger guy would be but hey, his madden rating is 98.

Seriously though - while rather unlikely due to cost, I would be all over it if we could somehow afford this with help from the release of Roy/Barber (though Roy is going to really hurt in the first year). You could then use the 9th pick in the draft for DL/ILB/OT help.

You could also look FS, but dang, that would be some insane money being spent on the secondary. My hope is that if you bring in a new CB that one of the current CBs (preferably Newman - especially how he has been hitting people the last 2 years) would move to FS.
Champ Bailey may also be free, and either he or Nnamdi would be great additions. As to the idea of moving Newman to FS, that will never, ever happen. Your FS has to be able to hit and tackle and Newman does neither. Moving Newman inside in a nickle situation, as your third CB would be an upgrade over Scandrick, and I see that as far more likely, although when T-New is healthy (which he often isn't), he is much more effective and takes fewer risks than Jenkins does, so he might wind up earning the starting spot in training camp if the Cowboys do wind up grabbing a veteran CB via free agency.

If the Cowboys had any pass rush outside of Ware and Spencer, I think the secondary would look much better. If they were able to land Fairley somehow (which I don't think will happen barring a trade), that would be a massive upgrade. I know that proponents of the 3-4 scheme often say that your ends are used to tie up linemen, freeing up your linebacker to make plays, but I don't buy it. If your 3-4 end is consistently getting blocked by one lineman on every passing play, he needs to be feasting on that and regularly making the opposing QB miserable in the pocket.

If the Cowboys decide to trade down to pick up a late first or an early second, another guy I find intriguing is Stephen Paea, a DT from Oregon State. He has been steadily creeping up into the first round, so I'm not sure if he would be available where they pick in the 2nd. His leverage reminds me of Ratliff, and he carries 310 pounds amazingly well.

If they trade way down into late-1st territory, they could grab Anthony Castonzo, offensive right tackle from BC, or Nate Solder, OT from Colorado. This is also where Mike Pouncey, OG from Florida, is projected to go. If the Cowboys move up into the early second round, they could grab the best center in the draft, Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State, allowing them to slide Gurode to guard. That would be great for the o-line.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #199
LonghornDub

Cam will need to actually hit wide open receivers downfield if he wants to play in the NFL for long.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #200
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Champ Bailey may also be free, and either he or Nnamdi would be great additions. As to the idea of moving Newman to FS, that will never, ever happen. Your FS has to be able to hit and tackle and Newman does neither. Disagree greatly over the past two years. He has actually tried to hurt people week in and week out and had a couple of articles about it last year. He has made great strides in this area and isn't the weak tackler he was early on in his career. Saying he couldn't do this just isn't true. It may indeed never happen but it will be because of his cover ability being more beneficial in a CB role than it will be because of his inability to perform at the position (that or to prevent injuries from being more likely). Moving Newman inside in a nickle situation, as your third CB would be an upgrade over Scandrick, and I see that as far more likely, although when T-New is healthy (which he often isn't), he is much more effective and takes fewer risks than Jenkins does, so he might wind up earning the starting spot in training camp if the Cowboys do wind up grabbing a veteran CB via free agency. [b]For similar reasons that many people didn't want to give up on Borbon in CF, you likewise don't give up on a young talented CB that has already showed that he could be very, very good. I think Jenkins is your starting CB next year no matter what you do (unless they bring in one of the stud FA CBs PLUS go after one of the stud CBs in the draft - which isn't going to happen).

If the Cowboys had any pass rush outside of Ware and Spencer, I think the secondary would look much better. If they were able to land Fairley somehow (which I don't think will happen barring a trade), that would be a massive upgrade. I know that proponents of the 3-4 scheme often say that your ends are used to tie up linemen, freeing up your linebacker to make plays, but I don't buy it. Well, we both agree that 3-4 ends can play rather aggressive and take advantage but it often can be difficult to find speed, power, and size in a guy to be able to take on two blockers at times while also being quick enough to take advantage of a single blocker and get to the QB. I have brought up guys in the past that I thought could do it that were larger 4-3 ends with good size and most here didn't see the fit. Few here think you can have dynamic players at the 3-4 end unless they weigh 340lbs and still run a 4.5 40 (good luck finding that). If your 3-4 end is consistently getting blocked by one lineman on every passing play, he needs to be feasting on that and regularly making the opposing QB miserable in the pocket.

If the Cowboys decide to trade down to pick up a late first or an early second, another guy I find intriguing is Stephen Paea, a DT from Oregon State. He has been steadily creeping up into the first round, so I'm not sure if he would be available where they pick in the 2nd. His leverage reminds me of Ratliff, and he carries 310 pounds amazingly well.

If they trade way down into late-1st territory, they could grab Anthony Castonzo, offensive right tackle from BC, or Nate Solder, OT from Colorado. This is also where Mike Pouncey, OG from Florida, is projected to go. If the Cowboys move up into the early second round, they could grab the best center in the draft, Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State, allowing them to slide Gurode to guard. That would be great for the o-line. Bottom line - there better be damn good value in any trade down they make. I really want one of the two CBs unless we break the bank on one of the available top 5 in the league. If we do that, we still better have darn good value as there are other places I would love to see us bring in an absolute impact player.
Comments above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
theticket29cyborg, we win superballs now?