Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: Preseason game Pacers @ Mavericks 7:30

The Mavs finish up their preseason looking for better defense and more solid offensive execution. We'll be learning to play together all season, but this is our last chance to learn before W/Ls calculating toward our playoff seed

Starting Lineup
Dalembert
Dirk
Marion
Ellis
Calderon

Injuries
Wright (shoulder) could be back as early as Wednesday according to an interview with him last game
Harris (foot) out until December
Larkin (foot) may be practicing as early as November and getting DNP - Coach's decision as early as Nov. 15th.

Broadcast
TV- TXA21
Online video - http://firstrownow.eu/watch/216588/1...na-pacers.html
Radio 103.3 http://espn.go.com/dallas/radio/

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Link: http://firstrownow.eu/watch/216588/1...na-pacers.html
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I can't wait to see Larkin. He could be the steal of the draft if we give him enough minutes
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Early on it looks like Dennis Schröder was the steal and it's pissing me off that we could have had him. Larkin better be awesome.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
marc9211

marc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Early on it looks like Dennis Schröder was the steal and it's pissing me off that we could have had him. Larkin better be awesome.
I could be wrong but I don't think either will be any more than a role player off the bench. Larkin has a better three and with this team as far as I'm concerned id rather have the shooter.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc9211 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think either will be any more than a role player off the bench. Larkin has a better three and with this team as far as I'm concerned id rather have the shooter.
My problem is we went for the good player that can play now with lower upside. Schroder obviously has more upside. And we've got 2 or 3 point guards ahead of Larkin. He won't play now anyway!

I guess part of the reason we got Larkin was saving money by getting rid of cunningham and getting him with a lower draft pick, all for the pie in the sky dream of Howard.

I hope he proves me wrong, but giannis at small forward (isn't small forward another need with Marion at 35?) or Schroder sure look like potential stars that we past on......... and the Mavs are supposed to know the international kids better than anyone.

Last edited by Eman; 10-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
My problem is we went for the good player that can play now with lower upside. Schroder obviously has more upside. And we've got 2 or 3 point guards ahead of Larkin. He won't play now anyway!

I guess part of the reason we got Larkin was saving money by getting rid of cunningham and getting him with a lower draft pick, all for the pie in the sky dream of Howard.

I hope he proves me wrong, but giannis at small forward (isn't small forward another need with Marion at 35?) or Schroder sure look like potential stars that we past on......... and the Mavs are supposed to know the international kids better than anyone.
And yet that doesn't seem to have stopped you from confidently asserting that you know the international kids better than they do.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Way too early to start worrying about how well the rookies will do. We're so deep at the guard position that Larkin might be buried back there. His best bet is to get healthy before Harris gets back and try to compete with Mekel for some minutes. Mekel is looking better and better though so we shall see.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Way too early to start worrying about how well the rookies will do. We're so deep at the guard position that Larkin might be buried back there. His best bet is to get healthy before Harris gets back and try to compete with Mekel for some minutes. Mekel is looking better and better though so we shall see.
I've been pretty encouraged by the way Mekel has developed through the preseason. Some of it is undoubtedly him coming off the bench recently, but after his summer league performance I was a bit surprised to see him look as slow-of-mind and limited-in-vision as he did in his first few games against NBA-caliber competition. In light of that it's been really nice to see him looking like he's catching on game-by-game to what's supposed to be going on out there.

Looking forward to seeing Larkin when he gets back. It's good for him that he's scheduled to beat Devin back from injury, because otherwise I don't know that he'd even have a chance at getting meaningful minutes. Of course, Calderon's durability being what it is there may very well end up being a game here or there early on where Mekel and Shane are the only two active point guards.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Guys do not worry about rookies. The next three years are not about "upside". We need players who are ready. Once Dirk retires we can talk about "upside"...
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Meanwhile.. Gortat got traded to Washington for Okafor!
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Gortat can really play heavy minutes. This is what makes him better than Dalembert and many other centers.

We could play Gortat 33min easily.

Last edited by markus1234; 10-25-2013 at 04:36 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Meanwhile.. Gortat got traded to Washington for Okafor!
And Josh Howard got a deal to go to the Spurs. Strange day.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe how easily gortat was given up. I wanted that dude bad. I feel like Dallas goes as far as their rebounding and defense can take them. I am in love with the offense however
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Can't believe how easily gortat was given up. I wanted that dude bad. I feel like Dallas goes as far as their rebounding and defense can take them. I am in love with the offense however
29th among centers in PER (Dalember was 16th)
23rd among centers in Rebound rate (tied with 6'6" Blair-- Dalembert was 4th.)
21st among centers in TS% (also tied with Blair)
25th among centers in estimated wins added (barely above Kaman)

Are his stats below his average because he was dogging it and unhappy with a bad team? Certainly, but those stats definitely don't portray a top-tier center worth 7mill a year, either. Those stats show either an above-average backup or a below average starter.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
And Josh Howard got a deal to go to the Spurs. Strange day.
J-Ho found a new place to light it up.. and I'm not talking basketball.

yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has already missed three rebounding opportunities.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Dirk has already missed three rebounding opportunities.
Yes. Not good. This has to change.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 10-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Woooo Ellis is feelin it
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

I like Blair's hustle.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Are the Mavs going to shoot something other than a 20 footer?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

I knew George would hit that...

Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Stupid foul by Crowder. He really needs to get his shit together. Otherwise, he will be pretty soon in RC's doghouse.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Way too many turnovers. Already 10.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Good defense overall. Holding Indiana to 39 at half time is pretty decent. However, 13 turnovers in just two quarters is not acceptable.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
Bayliss

Calderon and Dirk just do not work that well together. I think it is because Calderon does not look to Dirk like he should. And it is not that Calderon is looking to shoot. He comes off a pnr and kicks it to Shawn Marion for a corner 3 instead of throwing it back to Dirk. Just simple stuff like that.

Sure that may come with time. But it feels like he doesn't realize Dirk aint Pau and/Mark. Dirk will ht it consistently. He aint just setting the screen for you to get open.....

(Oh and Ellis already understands how to get it Dirk pretty easily....)

Last edited by Bayliss; 10-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #27
Vinsanity
Golden Member

It's kinda bad when Indiana is shooting 31% and we're only up by 2...
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
Bayliss

Well, it aint like the Mavs are hitting a ton of shots either.......
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Quote:
Well, it aint like the Mavs are hitting a ton of shots either.......
That's why it's bad... lol
Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Seems that Dirk's shot is off tonight. Just 2-8 right now.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Bayliss

Good Lord, the wheels came off when Dalembert went out......
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
Bayliss

Blair's defense leaves a lot to be desired.

But hopefully it won't matter because Wright will be getting all minutes.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Blair's defense leaves a lot to be desired.

But hopefully it won't matter because Wright will be getting all minutes.
Shocking how dependent we are on Dalembert. Blair can't defend anybody. Horribly undersized.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Oh man, I almost can't watch this game
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Offense is rough. Really rough. Going to be like this some times.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #36
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Our defense collapsed once Dalembert left the court. And both Ellis and Calderon can't defend the perimeter.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #37
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

22 turnovers and counting...

Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
Bayliss

The Mavs best backcourt will probably be Ellis/Harris.

(Btw that last shot by Ellis are the type that he needs to just throw out of his arsenal. Out of control attempts.......)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #39
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all

Ellis and Ellington have better chemistry than Calderon and Ellis.
I wouldn't mind bringing Calderon off the bench. Btw, Pacers defence is great.
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Welp, I'm done making GDTs for the year. We cant even make a FT