Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Will we make a deadline trade?
No 73 41.24%
Yes, for Kevin Martin 11 6.21%
Yes, for Iggy 22 12.43%
Yes, for Stephen Jackson 12 6.78%
Yes, for Crash 1 0.56%
Yes, for a backup 4 3 1.69%
Yes, for a backup PG 4 2.26%
Yes, for Lebron 20 11.30%
Yes, for more than one player above 4 2.26%
Yes, for other player(s) 27 15.25%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I buy into the team totally. I think it's a great team, with or without Roddy. Hopefully it's even better with him.

Unfortunately, we are very unlucky to be playing in an NBA where there are a few other teams that have consolidated incredible talent (and two of those teams, the Lakers and Celtics, are also very well coached). Not believing we can win a championship has a lot less to do with my lack of belief in the Mavs than recognizing how talented and tested a few of those other teams are.

This Mavs team is better (or at least far more talented) than the 2006 team and the 2007 team, IMO. From the coach all the way down to the 12th guy. The difference is the rest of the league at the top.
The thing that I would say to this is the big difference in the year: the defense. It's imperative that they defensive mentality sticks and they perform. For years, people have been saying they have had the talent and they were just missing defense...the problem was, people overreacted and we really didn't even have the right people. It looks like we do this year, now the defense needs to stick and it changes the ballgame because the talent is really there.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 12-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The thing that I would say to this is the big difference in the year: the defense. It's imperative that they defensive mentality sticks and they perform. For years, people have been saying they have had the talent and they were just missing defense...the problem was, people overreacted and we really didn't even have the right people. It looks like we do this year, now the defense needs to stick and it changes the ballgame because the talent is really there.
I think it's definitely better, but I still don't think they have quite enough to beat a Spurs team 4/7, followed by a Lakers team 4/7, followed by a Celtics/Heat team 4/7 (or whatever the case may be). It's not totally impossible, but it would take some really fortuitous bounces over the course of those games to make it happen.

Everybody needs luck to win a championship, but I think the Mavs would need quite a bit more than some of those other teams. I'm not down on them, I just have a ton of respect for what those other teams have put together (except the Heat who are sorta just trying to out-talent you into submission).

Oh, and FWIW, a substantial part of me feeling this way is that Dirk simply does not get the same benefit of the doubt from the refs that some of those other guys get. He is absolutely penalized for being big and awkward. Wade/James/Kobe/Pierce shoot 15+ FT's if they are abused like Dirk was in Game 4 @ SA last spring. Wade probably shoots like 200 FT's. It's a god damn shame, really.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-18-2010 at 05:32 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's definitely better, but I still don't think they have quite enough to beat a Spurs team 4/7, followed by a Lakers team 4/7, followed by a Celtics/Heat team 4/7 (or whatever the case may be). It's not totally impossible, but it would take some really fortuitous bounces over the course of those games to make it happen.

Everybody needs luck to win a championship, but I think the Mavs would need quite a bit more than some of those other teams. I'm not down on them, I just have a ton of respect for what those other teams have put together (except the Heat who are sorta just trying to out-talent you into submission).

Oh, and FWIW, a substantial part of me feeling this way is that Dirk simply does not get the same benefit of the doubt from the refs that some of those other guys get. He is absolutely penalized for being big and awkward. Wade/James/Kobe/Pierce shoot 15+ FT's if they are abused like Dirk was in Game 4 @ SA last spring. Wade probably shoots like 200 FT's. It's a god damn shame, really.
I agree with this, even the Dirk stuff.

I can tell you someone in the Mavs organization doesn't buy what's going on with the Spurs right now, too much dependency with the 3-ball, Manu is hot (eventually hurt) and the breaks are just going their way right now.

I think one thing that helps is the fact the Mavericks would be the underdog in pretty much all of the given scenarios, this team thrives much more in that situation versus being the hunted. I have a feeling in those series, they either get extremely exposed on something or they're knockdown drag-out battles that could go either way.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I agree with this, even the Dirk stuff.

I can tell you someone in the Mavs organization doesn't buy what's going on with the Spurs right now, too much dependency with the 3-ball, Manu is hot (eventually hurt) and the breaks are just going their way right now.

I think one thing that helps is the fact the Mavericks would be the underdog in pretty much all of the given scenarios, this team thrives much more in that situation versus being the hunted. I have a feeling in those series, they either get extremely exposed on something or they're knockdown drag-out battles that could go either way.
Yeah I'm not sure I buy the new Spurs either. But I've gotta put them up there just because of their experience. They just keep doing it every year.

I love the Mavs as the underdog.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I love the Mavs as the underdog.
Sounds familiar...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

+rep
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just have a ton of respect for what those other teams have put together (except the Heat who are sorta just trying to out-talent you into submission).
Ian Mahimi what you think?!?!?!?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Ian Mahimi what you think?!?!?!?
Is there a bit here that I'm missing?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Is there a bit here that I'm missing?
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36475
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushbane, i hate dumars, return of the quack!, strike 17 for cadban?, thanks mods! more cadban!