Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Garnett hits fan with ball

Garnett ejected for tossing ball into crowd

February 26, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett was ejected in the third quarter of Minnesota's victory over Memphis on Sunday for tossing the ball into the stands and accidentally hitting a fan.

Garnett was reacting in frustration after being called for an offensive foul.

"I just tossed it," Garnett said outside Minnesota's locker room before leaving the arena at the start of the fourth quarter. "I didn't even look at where I tossed it. I was just so ... mad."

Medical personnel examined the fan, who was wheeled from the court on a gurney to boos and later walked with his family and arena personnel to a back room. The fan declined to comment to the media. His condition wasn't immediately available, although he appeared to be uninjured.

With Minnesota leading 64-61 with 7:47 left in the quarter, Garnett was called for the foul while driving against Shane Battier on the baseline. The nine-time All-Star then lightly flipped the ball into the stands under the basket, hitting the male fan.

Garnett, who said he was upset by a previous call, said he didn't intend to throw the ball into the stands, but rather was trying to get a delay-of-game call.

"By no means was I trying to hit a fan," he said.

Referee Bob Delaney assessed Garnett a technical foul for tossing the ball, and he was automatically ejected because it hit the fan. Afterward, Garnett walked over to the fan to apologize before leaving the court. Television cameras showed a young girl sitting next to the man in tears.

"It was an accident and he apologized profusely," Wolves coach Dwane Casey said.

Before leaving the arena, Garnett said he again checked in on the family to apologize.

"I should have had a little more control than that," Garnett said.

The former league MVP had 17 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Eddie Griffin replaced Garnett in the lineup.

"Whenever there is an incident inside of our arena involving a fan, we're going to treat it very, very professionally and carefully," said Wolves president Chris Wright. Both Wright and Casey apologized on behalf of the team.

"I know Kevin feels bad about it," Casey said.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
The nine-time All-Star then lightly flipped the ball into the stands under the basket, hitting the male fan.
who was the fan, Freddie Mitchell?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The guy was taken out of the gym on a gurney and the fans booed him? source: ESPN

Stupid fans.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The guy was taken out of the gym on a gurney and the fans booed him? source: ESPN

Stupid fans.
First time I read the article I thought the fans were booing Garnett...but yes, stupid fans indeed.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Innocent spectator? In the face? With a basketball?

Get Jackie Chiles on the phone.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Kevin Garnett's actions were "lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous"!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

omg i just saw the video replay of it, this guy is rediculous laff
he is like a grown man, 300+ pounds.. kg literally flips it into the first or second row behind the basket and the next thing you know, the fan is crying

Contact Me
Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
he is like a grown man, 300+ pounds.. kg literally flips it into the first or second row behind the basket and the next thing you know, the fan is crying
I wonder how many guys it took to lift the gurney.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:34 AM   #9
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Haha, unbelieveable...

Haha, man...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 AM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a big guy, the ball was flipped to him, he's all shaky after that, checking his face for blood (of course there wasn't any). He sat there for a while then was taken ou on said gurney........ I don't know what he was trying to do, that definitely wasn't enough for him to be taken out like that. It was quite funny.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

What a pansi...
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would've booed him myself.....thrown my thundersticks at him too.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-27-2006 at 08:40 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

The fat sausage will probably sue because he doesn't make enough money posing for Playtoad magazine...
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
alby
Guru

he was sitting in the front row of a basketball game, I'm sure he's pretty well off

Contact Me
Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #15
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

the replay at nba.com didn't show the ball actually hitting the guy. Leaves you wondering how the guy was as shook up as he appeared to be - cause KG didn't give the ball enough force to call it a throw or even a toss - maybe a bounce. The dude sure gave KG a staredown, though, when KG went over to check on him / apologize.

I have to admit my first thought when I saw the guy shaking while someone tended to him was, "he's faking it for the lawsuit." I expected the game highlights to end with a shot of him standing oustide with a cane and a neckbrace, shaking his fist in to the camera.

That's really unfair, though, cause if he wasn't expecting the ball, and it hit him weird right in the face, I can see him being shaken up, and even alittle dizzy, which would prompt officials at the arena to pull out a gurney.

in conclusion - "stupid, supid KG. Too bad you and your team suck."
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
orangedays
Platinum Member

I just saw the replay...dude what a f*ckin schmuck to try and pull this sh*t. The dude's daughter is probably sitting there like "what's going on? why's Daddy crying?" - "Daddy's milkin' it...daddy's gettin' us a new H3". Hell.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-27-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

What do you suppose would've been the response if say the fan had gently tossed say a soda cup that had hit KG in the face?

Two game suspension coming.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure KG would have been on his knees, hands shaking, suffering under the shock of impending death. Undoubtedly they would have had to take him out on a gurney.

kidding (and the dude's motivation) aside, suspensions will be deserved.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
the replay at nba.com didn't show the ball actually hitting the guy. Leaves you wondering how the guy was as shook up as he appeared to be - cause KG didn't give the ball enough force to call it a throw or even a toss - maybe a bounce. The dude sure gave KG a staredown, though, when KG went over to check on him / apologize.

I have to admit my first thought when I saw the guy shaking while someone tended to him was, "he's faking it for the lawsuit." I expected the game highlights to end with a shot of him standing oustide with a cane and a neckbrace, shaking his fist in to the camera.

That's really unfair, though, cause if he wasn't expecting the ball, and it hit him weird right in the face, I can see him being shaken up, and even alittle dizzy, which would prompt officials at the arena to pull out a gurney.

in conclusion - "stupid, supid KG. Too bad you and your team suck."

At least one person didn't jump to a rediculous conclusion. Bottom line....yo ujust do not know. Fans booing this guy were pathetic regardless.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Front row at my favorite sport...get hit in the face by an errant throw from KG....KG gets thrown out, but comes over an apologizes first....

Shit, that's a helluva a story for the kiddies.

Where do I sign up? (and can I specify which superstar I want to smack me in the face?)

Sorry, but if that happened to me, I would've marked it down on my calendar as a good time.

KG went over and checked on the guy, and the guy looked like he was acting like a complete jerk. Nothing that has happened since the incident has changed my mind.

If he has some condition, then he should reconsider his season tickets. In the normal course of any game, it is NOT unusual for people in the front row to come into contact with players or be physically involved in the game. KG threw the ball to the sideline, and made a stupid mistake by throwing it too hard. It was stupid - but it wasn't intentional.

Dirk could've easily done the same thing.

And what's the deal with the overuse of gurnies in this society? Everytime someone gets "possibly harmed" these days, they're calling for a neakbrace and a gurney.

Hell, I've been tossed around in a rolling school bus like a (insert analogy here) in fourth grade, and I still managed to WALK to the ambulance and hop in the front seat. Apparently, I was a real bad ass.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-27-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
What do you suppose would've been the response if say the fan had gently tossed say a soda cup that had hit KG in the face?

Two game suspension coming.
Why would he do that? Are there trash cans on the court?

Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he didn't see the ball coming how did he know that KG threw it? Obviously he was at least looking at the court, otherwise it could have been an errant pass.

Last edited by dirno2000; 02-27-2006 at 01:08 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe hit a fan with two balls without her consent...How long did he get suspended?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Kobe hit a fan with two balls without her consent...How long did he get suspended?
Wow.

Genius.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3

Ba-Zing!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #26
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

The guy is obviously faking it at the expense of his daughter's experience. Geesh. What some people will do for a dollar.

This reminded me of a story though. I went to a Minny/Dallas game ealier this season and during warmups KG went up for a dunk but bricked it pretty hard. The ball flew up very high and into the crowd where it hit a female worker directly on the back of her head. She rubbed her head a little but walked away fine.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #27
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

What a bitch. Going out on a stretcher from getting the ball tossed towards him. I could understand if it was a child or something but this was a grown ass man. Shit like this is what makes fans across america look bad. How many times have we seen kids get hit with a basketball going full speed at the American Airlines center? If a kid can shake it off I believe a 300 pound man can as well.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

From an eye witness:

Kevin Zenk of St. Paul, who was sitting behind the fan who was hit, said the ball didn't appear to have much velocity on it.

"It wasn't real hard," Zenk said Asked how he felt the fan reacted, Zenk said: "Overreacted. ... You know, I kind of figured the Oscars were next week, but I don't know if the nominations are all in. He played it up."

I know Garnett will probably settle with the guy to avoid the hassle but I can't imagine a reasonable jury would award him much if anything.

Last edited by dirno2000; 02-27-2006 at 06:03 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #29
orangedays
Platinum Member

Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett Fined

NEW YORK, Feb. 27 – Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett has been fined $5,000 for throwing a basketball into the stands, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred with 7:47 remaining in the third period of the Timberwolves 105-99 win over the Memphis Grizzlies at the Target Center on Sunday.

Linkage

Related (sorta):

Minnesota’s Ricky Davis Fined

NEW YORK, Feb. 27, 2006 – Minnesota Timberwolves guard Ricky Davis has been fined $5,000 for kicking a basketball into the stands, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred at the conclusion of the Timberwolves 102-101 overtime loss to the Denver Nuggets at the Target Center on Friday, Feb. 24.

Linkage

Last edited by orangedays; 02-27-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #30
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
The fat sausage will probably sue because he doesn't make enough money posing for Playtoad magazine...

Where can I get this magazine... you must tell me!! NOW!!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #31
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
Where can I get this magazine... you must tell me!! NOW!!!!

funny.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Imma gonna open up a poll with line of the week entires. this is too good
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

we haven't actually seen the ball hit the guy. a basketball, even if it's tossed softly, can still hurt like hell if it hits you square in the nose.

As for the gurney, i honestly wonder if the guy requested it, or if the arena mandated it (to cover all their bases).
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #34
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Look, if the NBA wants to stop all of this, very simple, put up plexiglass from the hockey games and seperate the fans from the players. very simple.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #35
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Look, if the NBA wants to stop all of this, very simple, put up plexiglass from the hockey games and seperate the fans from the players. very simple.
I don't think the situation is that bad (and a basketball, much softer than a puck, will very rarely find its way into the stands at 100+ mph). I'd say that the easiest way to eliminate this is to have people sitting courtside agree to limited or zero-liability contracts prior to the game (or maybe have it on the tickets). There is an inherent risk to sitting down there - what if Shaq flies into you? What if a referee misses a bounce pass from a player and it hits you in the face? What if there is a very forceful errant pass on a play? Such things are normal to the game and the NBA shouldn't leave itself in an actionable position.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #36
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
full contact checks against the glass and a penalty box? oh, yeah, baby. Count me in.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #37
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

We'll call it "Baskey"
Old 02-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #38
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
we haven't actually seen the ball hit the guy. a basketball, even if it's tossed softly, can still hurt like hell if it hits you square in the nose.

As for the gurney, i honestly wonder if the guy requested it, or if the arena mandated it (to cover all their bases).
According to witnesses it hit him in the right side of his face.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #39
mary
Troll Hunter

Dodgeball also hurt like hell (and we didn't play with sissy rules)...yet not one time in my miserable two years in Junior High did we have to haul someone off on a gurney

Last edited by mary; 02-28-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #40
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Such things are normal to the game and the NBA shouldn't leave itself in an actionable position.
So a MLB fan who gets a line-drive foul facial has no civil recourse?

I don't think that's how it works, is it? The teams settle. I'm almost certain they're insured for that kind of thing. They'd have to be.

And if a Rodman or an Artest or even a Garnett does something intentionally, recklessly or negligently, the player/team/arena isn't responsible? I don't think that's how it works either. The teams settle, as quietly as possible. Money changes hands.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 02-28-2006 at 11:30 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote