Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #921
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
@ESPNSteinLine: Rockets/Mavs clearly still have better shot to steal Dwight from Lakers than Warriors. But Dubs, I'm told, have forced way into conversation
GSW has no leverage, unless Dwight says he's okay with what is available from GSW, MLE deal or vet minimum....only then would the Lakers talk trade, but even then, LAL will call his bluff through his signing.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #922
marc9211

marc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
It isn't about missing out on players for me. It is about "powder" that I'm tired of hearing. Cuban has this idea that powder will bring in big FAs. But most FAs like to go where there is some talent already on the roster (or at least some young players who have hope). They don't like going to a stripped down roster.

The Mavs have to sign someone long term this year. Now it may not make them contenders but they have to get SOMEONE so they can use that signing later on for something more useful.

That is EXACTLY what Nellie did with Walker. He flipped Walker for Terry. And that is the problem with Cuban's thinking (IMO). You have to have something in order to work with other teams for something else.
Couldn't agree any more.. We have to get someone. Can't keep entering free agency with nothing
marc9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #923
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
If Howard doesn't sign, Cuban better not play the rental game again this year. He has to get trading assets, and that only comes with signing players for longer than one year.
We should play the tank game if no Howard.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #924
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
41. Why pick a tiny piece of this post apart? What's your point?
I wasn't picking any part of your post. We drafted Dirk. When we drafted him he wasn't a "great player". When you said our day would come for once again signing "great players" I was simply reminding you we never have. We've never been a main attraction for great players. But Cuban and co. seem to believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
None of the second tier players (josh smith, iguodala, Bynum) or PG's have agreed to deals yet, people need to relax.
I'd like to hope the Mavs didn't give up for 2 seasons in order to settle for 2nd tier players...

...though if someone can get Bynum back to where he was 2 or 3 seasons ago......that will be a very happy team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #925
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I wasn't picking any part of your post. We drafted Dirk. When we drafted him he wasn't a "great player". When you said our day would come for once again signing "great players" I was simply reminding you we never have. We've never been a main attraction for great players. But Cuban and co. seem to believe otherwise.
Hard to be an attraction for great players when you never have cap space until last year.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #926
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Hard to be an attraction for great players when you never have cap space until last year.
How much cap space did the Knicks have when Carmelo DEMANDED he be traded to them? I get what you're saying but i've just yet to see anything to suggest that players would chose Dallas over cities like New York, LA, Chicago, etc. When Cuban went on this clear cap room plan he's been on for the past few years my hope was that players would basically have no choice but to atleast entertain our offers because we're a more attractive destination than a Houston or a Golden State or so I thought...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #927
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How much cap space did the Knicks have when Carmelo DEMANDED he be traded to them? I get what you're saying but i've just yet to see anything to suggest that players would chose Dallas over cities like New York, LA, Chicago, etc. When Cuban went on this clear cap room plan he's been on for the past few years my hope was that players would basically have no choice but to atleast entertain our offers because we're a more attractive destination than a Houston or a Golden State or so I thought...
New York is New York. If you're upset that Dallas isn't a "destination" like New York (or Boston or LA), get ready to be upset forever.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #928
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd like to hope the Mavs didn't give up for 2 seasons in order to settle for 2nd tier players...

...though if someone can get Bynum back to where he was 2 or 3 seasons ago......that will be a very happy team.
You're right. Perhaps Dirk wasn't a great player when he was drafted, but no doubt he grew into one and you could see the potential rather quickly. Whether we drafted a guy or not is still adding to the team. But I will give you in principle that he technically wasn't a great player when he was added.

Not every team can be a main attraction for great players. If no one aside from Dirk was a great player on the championship team, it should show you that you don't need to have the top FA come here. WE won a title after THE top guy took his talents to South Beach.

The reason I said pick apart the post, is because there was an obvious flow to it and IMO it's just a stick in the mud pessimistic attitude to pull one piece from the idea in whole. You can't please everyone obviously, and if we weren't going after Howard people are more pissed. You just can't be dooms day if the main FA doesn't come to your team, you strap up the next best if it gives you a chance and roll it out and hope for the best.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #929
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
We should play the tank game if no Howard.
Dallas is one of only 9 teams which have won a championship since 1980. There are currently 30 teams. Only 18 different teams have won the championship in the history of the NBA. To suggest that Dallas isn't a choice NBA destination is crazy. Now there are many geographic/lifestyle factors for which other cities would certainly beat out any city in Texas, but to suggest players wouldn't want to come to Dallas for franchise specific reasons is ridiculous. Cuban has done wonders for the team and has historically always been willing to open the checkbook to build a competitive franchise. Even if we miss of Howard, Cuban and crew are trying hard to gracefully shift to a post Dirk squad and I thank them for that rather than suffering through a handful of years being the worst of the worst. One number one pick, like the tankers would like, does not make you a contender. In fact, I invite you to find me a number one pick which won the championship the year he was drafted. In fact, I think there was only 1 number 1 pick in the last 20 years which actually won a championship with the team which drafted them (Duncan with Spurs). Tanking gets you nowhere.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #930
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Melo demanded that awful trade (and it's telling of the organization that they made it and immediately got worse) because his wife wanted to live in New York and get a TV show. That had nothing to do with anything related to basketball except Melo apparently being a horrible judge of talent (who would want to go to that cesspool that remained after he got there?). Second seed in the East or not, the Knicks aren't contenders and haven't been for almost 15 years.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #931
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

RT @ramonashelburne: One THEORY that wont go away is that Rockets option is smoke to throw people off scent Dwight has been ticketed for Dallas all along.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #932
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
New York is New York. If you're upset that Dallas isn't a "destination" like New York (or Boston or LA), get ready to be upset forever.
Boston isn't a destination
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #933
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
RT @ramonashelburne: One THEORY that wont go away is that Rockets option is smoke to throw people off scent Dwight has been ticketed for Dallas all along.
Give me that sweet, sweet hope.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #934
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
Dallas is one of only 9 teams which have won a championship since 1980. There are currently 30 teams. Only 18 different teams have won the championship in the history of the NBA. To suggest that Dallas isn't a choice NBA destination is crazy. Now there are many geographic/lifestyle factors for which other cities would certainly beat out any city in Texas, but to suggest players wouldn't want to come to Dallas for franchise specific reasons is ridiculous. Cuban has done wonders for the team and has historically always been willing to open the checkbook to build a competitive franchise. Even if we miss of Howard, Cuban and crew are trying hard to gracefully shift to a post Dirk squad and I thank them for that rather than suffering through a handful of years being the worst of the worst. One number one pick, like the tankers would like, does not make you a contender. In fact, I invite you to find me a number one pick which won the championship the year he was drafted. In fact, I think there was only 1 number 1 pick in the last 20 years which actually won a championship with the team which drafted them (Duncan with Spurs). Tanking gets you nowhere.
Well I'm not the one suggesting nobody wants to play in Dallas.

But if you give me Andrew Wiggins and free agents next season I'll take that over almost any other scenario.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #935
OneLove22

Quote:
Really?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #936
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure I quite understand this. Why would he hide or be ashamed of "being ticketed for Dallas all along"? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why that would be something he's trying to hide (assuming it were how he truly felt).

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #937
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Really?
Yes really, when it the last time someone demanded a trade to boston or they sign a max guy?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #938
OneLove22

Quote:
Yes really, when it the last time someone demanded a trade to boston or they sign a max guy?
Ray Allen / Kevin Garnett

Either way, they are still a top class organization in a massive market so they can easily attract free agents.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #939
LonghornDub

Quote:
Lol. Okay.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #940
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand this. Why would he hide or be ashamed of "being ticketed for Dallas all along"? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why that would be something he's trying to hide (assuming it were how he truly felt).
I'd guess to avoid appearances of tampering stemming from Cuban's relationship with Dan Fegan. But it's certainly a tenuous theory....

Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #941
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Every good drama needs tension...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #942
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ray Allen / Kevin Garnett

Either way, they are still a top class organization in a massive market so they can easily attract free agents.
Neither demanded trades to Boston, Ainge just used assets to acquire them, totally different. That can happen anywhere
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #943
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I'll take any optimistic twit where Howard likes our situation.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #944
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think Boston, Chicago and Dallas are probably all comparable as destination cities, and that all three rank behind LA and NY.

As for the THEORY about Dwight, Dallas, and Houston, who care if it makes any sense or not? The hopeful part of that tweet, if you give it any credence, isn't the theory itself, but rather the fact that it hasn't yet been disproved.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #945
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading some stuff on clutchfans...boy if Dwight signs here the board would completly blow off and turn into eternal hate for Dwight within one second.

Would be fuuuun
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #946
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Apparently Dan Fegan's boss, Happy Walters, is now following the Rockets on Twitter...
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #947
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

If Dwight did end up here, i don't care who we got after that as long as it helped us get Dwight.

But if we don't get Dwight, hopefully we can snag Bynum and Ellis or some sort of combination, at least give Dirk something to try and work with.

I don't really care for those guys, but at this point i don't want Dirk missing the playoffs to close out his career either.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #948
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

How would you guys feel if Cuban did get Eric Gordon?

If only he could stay healthy...
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #949
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by He15man View Post
How would you guys feel if Cuban did get Eric Gordon?

If only he could stay healthy...
I'd rather get Corey Brewer back if you're talking about talking about starting SG. Eric Gordon is not the answer IMO.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-04-2013 at 04:36 AM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #950
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not "upset" about that. I know we aren't a destination like New York or LA(Boston is probably on the same level of Dallas if not worse). That's actually my point. I'd prefer us quit this wild goose chase and rebuild our team from scratch. But I also understand that its in their best interest to keep putting fans in seats and most fans don't want to see a young team go through its bumps so they have to find talent to put around Dirk and atleast get a playoff spot. I just hope they don't commit long term to any guys like the Josh Smith's or Brandon Jenning's of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
You're right. Perhaps Dirk wasn't a great player when he was drafted, but no doubt he grew into one and you could see the potential rather quickly. Whether we drafted a guy or not is still adding to the team. But I will give you in principle that he technically wasn't a great player when he was added.

Not every team can be a main attraction for great players. If no one aside from Dirk was a great player on the championship team, it should show you that you don't need to have the top FA come here. WE won a title after THE top guy took his talents to South Beach.

The reason I said pick apart the post, is because there was an obvious flow to it and IMO it's just a stick in the mud pessimistic attitude to pull one piece from the idea in whole. You can't please everyone obviously, and if we weren't going after Howard people are more pissed. You just can't be dooms day if the main FA doesn't come to your team, you strap up the next best if it gives you a chance and roll it out and hope for the best.
Yea but we drafted Dirk with a lottery pick. I'd love to constantly add lottery picks to this team but its not going to happen as long as Dirk is here or he gets hurt for a long period of time. I'd rather go after 19 year old's with Dirk's potential than a Dwight Howard any day of the week but its not possible. Not crying over spilled milk just ready for this headache to be over so we can move on.

And I wonder how long are we going to continue to waste Dirk's prime signing guys to one year contracts to prevent us from getting into a salary cap mess?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #951
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Doesn't Mark Cuban have a house in Aspen? Mavs/Houston Smoke Theory? Dwight Singing Redemption songs (new beginnings/new home/new team to build on)? Everything indicates Mavs. D12 Mavs tomorrow. Book it.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #952
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yea but we drafted Dirk with a lottery pick. I'd love to constantly add lottery picks to this team but its not going to happen as long as Dirk is here or he gets hurt for a long period of time. I'd rather go after 19 year old's with Dirk's potential than a Dwight Howard any day of the week but its not possible. Not crying over spilled milk just ready for this headache to be over so we can move on.

And I wonder how long are we going to continue to waste Dirk's prime signing guys to one year contracts to prevent us from getting into a salary cap mess?
I agree with the first part, but with Dirk here, it's a unique situation. I can't see Cuban ever trading him, not even when he is 37, in 2 years, like Ainge did to Garnett and Pierce. The other thing, unfortunately, i think Dirk's prime years are gone. I can see him averaging around his career best PER36 (minus the rebounding), but he will probably have to do it in 30-32 minutes in the regular season. He's not the work horse anymore, we really need that other big dog...
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #953
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Great city IMO.
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #954
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
I'd rather get Corey Brewer back if you're talking about talking about starting SG. Eric Gordon is not the answer IMO.
Can't tell if serious
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #955
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Boston is a great city... I strongly prefer the DFW area... Of course, I absolutely hate New York and LA...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #956
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Understand your point but at least one year deals keep the opportunity to sign players that would make a difference alive.
Imagine the mess we would be in right now if we would have over committed to Kaman, Collison and Mayo last season. I think most of us thought Donnie and Mark put together a hell of a plan B after losing out on DWill at the time but we see how that turned out.
I'd just hate to see the Mavs over commit to guys like Bynum, Ellis and/or Iggy this season considering the free agents and draft class next season.

If we over commit to those guys we will most likely waste the rest of Dirk's career as a Mav.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #957
mavs777
Diamond Member

Someone post the macmahon article
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #958
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

"someone"

Quote:
Cuban's relationship with agent the Dwight-to-Dallas key?

link

A conspiracy theory: The Rockets emerged as a rumored frontrunner to throw folks off the scent that Dwight Howard has been ticketed for Dallas all along.

Those are whispers that ESPN Los Angeles’ Ramona Shelburne has heard on the West coast.

The implication: A wink-wink, nudge-nudge deal has long been in place between Mark Cuban and his pal Dan Fegan, Howard’s agent. I love a good conspiracy theory, but it’s too easy to shoot holes in this one.

Start with the Shawn Marion situation. If this was a done deal, wouldn’t Fegan have convinced his client on the Mavs’ roster to cooperate and make things much easier for everyone?

The best-case scenario for the Mavs would have been Marion exercising the early termination option in his contract and then returning to Dallas on a three-year deal with a salary reduced enough to squeeze Howard’s max deal under the cap. Technically, the Mavs couldn’t have negotiated Marion’s new contract before he opted out, but we’re talking wink-wink, nudge-nudge deals here.

How can the Mavs create enough cap space to sign Howard now? Dumping Marion’s salary in a trade is the most likely scenario. If this was all a pre-arranged deal, would Fegan put another veteran client in danger of being shipped to an undesirable team? (Yes, Marion would pocket an extra $1.4 million with his trade kicker, but if this was all just a money grab for Fegan, he’d be determined to get Howard to stay in L.A. instead of bolting to Dallas.)

It’s true that Cuban and Fegan have a strong business relationship, even a friendship, and have worked together to get several deals. Hey, maybe Fegan really does feel like he owes Cuban for that Erick Dampier contract!

But, if Marion gets dealt this summer, add that to the list of business decisions made by Cuban that disappointed Fegan clients.

*The Mavs shipped Fegan client Drew Gooden to Washington in the deal that got rid of Josh Howard and brought Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas.

*Jason Terry fired Fegan in part because of frustration stemming from the Mavs’ lack of interest in making a long-term commitment to him during his last year in Dallas.

*The Mavs waived Delonte West, a Fegan client at the time, after twice suspending him for conduct detrimental to the team last fall.

It helps for an owner and agent to have a good relationship, but it guarantees nothing for either side.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #959
mavs777
Diamond Member

RT @Chris_Broussard: Sources close to Howard tell me Kobe's reported pitch in Tuesday's meeting about teaching D12 how to win will be a "complete turnoff" to D12
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #960
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
RT @Chris_Broussard: Sources close to Howard tell me Kobe's reported pitch in Tuesday's meeting about teaching D12 how to win will be a "complete turnoff" to D12
That was my thought when I heard it.