Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone see Cutino Mobley on The Best Damn Sports Show Period? They asked Cutino Mobley who the Houston Rockets should draft, and I think Cutino Mobley said he would like the Houston Rockets to use the #1 pick in the draft, to get Lamar Odom. Then when someone asked if they should use the #1 pick in the draft to get Jay Williams, I think Cutino Mobley got mad and said something like "That would be disrespectful to Steve Francis." If I was a Houston Rockets fan, I would be angry at Cutino Mobley for saying that. Cutino Mobley isn't the general manager of the Houston Rockets. I am glad the players on the Dallas Mavericks, don't act like they are general managers.

If the Houston Rockets want to trade the #1 pick in the draft, then they will probably have some options. I haven't looked at the salaries, but here are some ideas. The Houston Rockets might be able to trade the #1 pick in the draft to the Golden State Warriors, for the #3 pick in the draft and Erick Dampier. Then they could draft Drew Gooden. That way, the Houston Rockets would probably have francis at pg, mobley at sg, eddie griffin at sf, drew gooden at pf, and erick dampier at center. The Houston Rockets also might be able to make a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers, for Olowakandi and Maggette for the #1 pick in the draft. The New York Knicks might also be willing to try to trade up, but I don't think the New York Knicks have much to offer.

If I am the Houston Rockets, I probably draft Jay Williams with the #1 pick in the draft. I don't care what position Jay Williams plays. I think Jay Williams is a safe pick and will be a great player in the nba. If steve francis, cutino mobley, moochie norris, or any other player on the Houston Rockets has a problem with it, then I would trade them. The Houston Rockets can always trade steve francis, cutino mobley, or any other player on the Houston Rockets, for a big man.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be some insight on why the Rockets suck.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Then when someone asked if they should use the #1 pick to get Jay Williams, I think Cutino Mobley got mad and said something like &quot;That would be disrespectful to Steve Francis.&quot; If I was a Rockets fan, I would be angry at Cutino Mobley for saying that. Cutino Mobley isn't the gm of the Rockets. >>

Mobley is just echoing Francis he bluntly stated the Rockets wouldn't be using their #1 on a point guard. And Houston won't. Unless Jay Williams is clearly better than Steve Francis (which he's not), you don't insult your franchise player by drafting another starter at his position.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
PeterVecseyisdumb

<<

<< Then when someone asked if they should use the #1 pick to get Jay Williams, I think Cutino Mobley got mad and said something like &quot;That would be disrespectful to Steve Francis.&quot; If I was a Rockets fan, I would be angry at Cutino Mobley for saying that. Cutino Mobley isn't the gm of the Rockets. >>

Mobley is just echoing Francis he bluntly stated the Rockets wouldn't be using their #1 on a point guard. And Houston won't. Unless Jay Williams is clearly better than Steve Francis (which he's not), you don't insult your franchise player by drafting another starter at his position.
>>

Some people think that Jay Williams can play point guard and shooting guard. Most people think Jay Williams is a point guard. I think Jay Williams is a point guard.

My point is that the Houston Rockets players shouldn't come out and tell the Houston Rockets what they would like them to do, in the draft. Saying something like Cutino Mobley said, might hurt the leverage the Houston Rockets have, if they ever decided to trade the #1 pick in the draft. It makes me wonder if Cutino Mobley is more worried about Steve Francis, or himself.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< My point is that the Houston Rockets players shouldn't come out and tell the Houston Rockets what they would like them to do, in the draft. Saying something like Cutino Mobley said, might hurt the leverage the Houston Rockets have, if they ever decided to trade the #1 pick in the draft. It makes me wonder if Cutino Mobley is more worried about Steve Francis, or himself. >>

Vecsey--Remember, Francis is the guy who was drafted by Vancouver and told them he would not play for them and forced them to trade him to Houston. Given the track record, I think he feels very safe dictating to management.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
PeterVecseyisdumb

<<

<< My point is that the Houston Rockets players shouldn't come out and tell the Houston Rockets what they would like them to do, in the draft. Saying something like Cutino Mobley said, might hurt the leverage the Houston Rockets have, if they ever decided to trade the #1 pick in the draft. It makes me wonder if Cutino Mobley is more worried about Steve Francis, or himself. >>

Vecsey--Remember, Francis is the guy who was drafted by Vancouver and told them he would not play for them and forced them to trade him to Houston. Given the track record, I think he feels very safe dictating to management.
>>

Vancouver certainly got the bad end of that trade.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Todays NBA players are crybabies. It sucks how they get away with crap like that. Let them work at McDonalds for a living for a year and see if their attitude changes. I bet it doesn't though. Pathetic.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The money's good but they can be literally shipped accross the country (or to Canada) with NO notice. If you have kids, family and friends, as most NBA players do!, then being reluctant to moving is reasonable in my opinion. (and most NBA players are not overpaid, they are extremely skilled employees. They aren't forcing the owners to sign them.) It's unfair to say they are crybabies, especially if you don't personally know them. They have to work VERY VERY hard to get where they are.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

I do know some of the guys...Skinner and some other BU guys that come around off season...even they say the players are babies so what? That &quot;you dont know them&quot; crap is so lame..... As for the other..Francis made Vancouver move him because he was such a crybaby bitch...not the team moving him. He's a damn baby and that all there is to it. This has nothing to do with talent or value...it has everything to do with throwing temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:39 PM   #10
scooterj5
Golden Member

Firstly, there's no need to be so rude. I can't see what I posted that would actually get you angry. Please try to be less condescending and generally aggressive. Also, I don't think what Brian Skinner (is it him?) says about NBA is that accurate since he is an NBA player himself, again. Relative to him, they might be lazy. I talked to Chris Anstey and he says that it's hectic and constantly hard work. I don't know what NBA players are 'crybabies' exactly? Other than maybe Derrick Coleman or Shawn Kemps, but most are incredibly hard workers. NBA players party hard, yes, but they work harder. That's why they are paid millions, talent only gets you so far, ask Leon Smith.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:42 PM   #11
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< Firstly, there's no need to be so rude. I can't see what I posted that would actually get you angry. Please try to be less condescending and generally aggressive. Also, I don't think what Brian Skinner (is it him?) says about NBA is that accurate since he is an NBA player himself, again. Relative to him, they might be lazy. I talked to Chris Anstey and he says that it's hectic and constantly hard work. I don't know what NBA players are 'crybabies' exactly? Other than maybe Derrick Coleman or Shawn Kemps, but most are incredibly hard workers. NBA players party hard, yes, but they work harder. That's why they are paid millions, talent only gets you so far, ask Leon Smith. >>

How is Chris Anstey doing now? I haven't been able to keep track of him, since he left the NBA.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:45 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Scooter- please read the damn post before replying. Nowhere does any post say that NBA players are lazy...the term was crybaby. And that point has well been established. I made a point to clarify that but apparently you dont read entire posts. Oh well. And you calling me rude is absolutely freaking hilarious.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:45 PM   #13
scooterj5
Golden Member

He plays for the Victoria Titains and the Aussie team. (which didn't even make the World Champs!!!) I think he much prefers to comfort of Australia and family and friends.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:47 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Has Anstey ever put on a little playing weight? I always thought that guy could have played longer with a few more pounds on him.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:49 PM   #15
PeterVecseyisdumb

<< He plays for the Victoria Titains and the Aussie team. (which didn't even make the World Champs!!!) I think he much prefers to comfort of Australia and family and friends. >>

Is Chris Anstey doing good in basketball?
Old 06-09-2002, 08:52 PM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

<< That &quot;you dont know them&quot; crap is so lame >>

<< I made a point to clarify that but apparently you dont read entire posts >>

<< Francis made Vancouver move him because he was such a crybaby bitch >>

<< He's a damn baby and that all there is to it. >>

<< please read the damn post before replying. >>

<< And you calling me rude is absolutely freaking hilarious. >>

...from 2 posts, sorry but there is no point continuing this, I don't particularly want to get suspended. Peace.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #17
scooterj5
Golden Member

I only saw him play one game last year, he played ok I guess, but not outstanding or even the best player out there. Anstey played pretty well for Dallas in the 2nd part of his rookie season, I remember he was getting 15,14 point games, but then he went to the Bulls and NBA oblivion. He had a nice shot, I don't think he was strong enough for a long NBA career though. Sam MacKinnon would be a decent 6th man or key reserve, have any of you guys seen him?
Old 06-09-2002, 08:57 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Had he gained some weight (or maybe muscle) he could still be playing.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #19
scooterj5
Golden Member

We should bring back Anstey and Bubba Wells while we're at it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 09:03 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

hhmmm...didn't see anything there that would be even remotely close to causing a warning...but I agree with the last part....no point in continuing.

So what about Anstey? McKinnon is average if he is the same guy I am thinking about.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:09 PM   #21
scooterj5
Golden Member

MacKinnon is 6-7 plays 2/3 position and he was on the Olympic team, but pretty much our entire team played awfully then. There's another Aussie thatI read somewhere would be declaring... David Anderson, I think his name is. I hope he's available at 54 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

I am pretty sure I saw him during the Worlds or the Olympics right? He scored about 8 ppg?
Old 06-09-2002, 09:13 PM   #23
scooterj5
Golden Member

Yeah that would have been right
Old 06-09-2002, 09:15 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

He seemed to be raw but looked like he had some potential. I don't know if he would be draft worthy, but he might be worth a look as a FA. Who knows. guys like that are hard to estimate.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:23 PM   #25
scooterj5
Golden Member

Unfortunately in Australia most of our 'top' coaches tend to be 2nd rate American coaches who are obsessed with imitating the American style by dumping it inside and so, whereas the players prefer to shoot more and drive less. I doubt MacKinnon would play for the Mavs, we are already pretty deep, but it would be nice for him to get a run somewhere, there are no Aussies in the league right now..