Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #801
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

agree about We Own the Night. Not too good.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #802
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

the transition from druggy to cop was so corny...
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #803
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
I am not gonna start a thread for this so here goes my rant.

Why in the bloody f-ing hell are they speaking the english language in this new movie 10,000 B.C? I wanted to see this movie until I heard the famous words uttered "I WILL FIND YOU" Who's the idiot that made this call in the writing department? Things like this make me appreciate the genius of the Coen brothers.
\endrant
THANK YOU.

Huge pet peeve of mine. I just can't take it, there's no good way to do it. Ooga booga doesn't sell, English sells. But not for me. One of the reasons I liked The Passion of The Christ for going through the trouble of making sure the language was accurate.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #804
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

saw one a while back, Reign Over Me. Very good Movie. Maybe I'm partial, growing up on Sandler, but he really hooks me in when he's serious (Spanglish)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #805
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
THANK YOU.

Huge pet peeve of mine. I just can't take it, there's no good way to do it. Ooga booga doesn't sell, English sells. But not for me. One of the reasons I liked The Passion of The Christ for going through the trouble of making sure the language was accurate.
We are right here ---> <------

Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #806
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Sandler has shown signs of growth as an actor, but then he throws out that random "voice" we all know and it ruins it for me.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 03-05-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #807
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of Movies from a couple years back that I had never seen:

Big Lebowski: (Thanks Underdog) What a riot. Hilarious, simply hilarious.

American History X: Amazing movie, just very powerful (which is just a more manly way to say moving, I guess; moving doesn't quite do it)

American Beauty: What a messed up movie. Wow. Just terrible, theme-wise, but great movie still.

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind: Not a fan of romantic comedies, but this one is simply amazing. Instantly one of my favorite movies ever.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #808
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Into the Wild....powerful movie. Long and a bit slow for some people, but I enjoyed it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #809
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Beowolf - pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #810
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am not gonna start a thread for this so here goes my rant.

Why in the bloody f-ing hell are they speaking the english language in this new movie 10,000 B.C? I wanted to see this movie until I heard the famous words uttered "I WILL FIND YOU" Who's the idiot that made this call in the writing department? Things like this make me appreciate the genius of the Coen brothers.
\endrant
its awful for a whole lot more reasons than that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #811
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Simpsons season 10

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #812
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

No Country for Old Men should have it's own thread, but I will resist the temptation. First off, let me get this across to some people who hated the ending. It is ok for you to hate the ending. In fact, there was no intention to make you like this movie from the Coen brothers. Let me give you my take of what the ending represented. It's very simple. Way to simple in fact that I don't understand why people don't get this movie. I have thought this since I saw it but I have been reading a lot of blogs and reviews and found people saw it too. In fact, it was in one my posts to our comedian of the site. Anton represents the Grim Reaper in every way. More specifically, he represents death. So I ask you this, can you kill the Grim Reaper? Is there anything that can stop death to us all. For Lewellyn, he was trying to out run death. Where as the old sheriff saw it coming and knew the inevitable. That should be enough to explain the reason why the "bad" guy did get away and all the loose ends weren't tied up. Because unfortunately, that is not how life is. Now the Coen brothers would probably laugh at this because they are just some weird SOB's.

So with all that being said, I am going at midnight to get this masterpiece on DVD.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 03-10-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #813
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

On the ending of No Country for Old Men, it wasn't necessarily that I wanted a tidy Hollywood ending, but I felt like they just threw away a character I had invested a lot of time in, without letting me see it happen.

Obviously you can figure out what happened, and that's fine. But it felt cold and unfinished with that one character, which I won't name for spoilers sake.

I actually heard Robert Wolonski give a very similar opinion on the Ticket, which made me feel better about mine.

Having said all that, it was a spectacular movie.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-10-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #814
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

better movie: No Country or Blood?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #815
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I guess I will say SPOILER

Jthig, this was intentional. Notice that all the "bad" guys in the film were subjected to brutal deaths, in which every part was filmed. The two deaths you did not see were our main characters who yes we all had an attachment too. But, they hinted to this before it happened to Lewellyn. He let his guard down with that woman he met with the beers. You will notice that the scene faded out in the sunlight. At that point I knew it was coming. I just didn't know he wouldn't be killed by Anton but by a bunch of no good drug dealers. As for the other character, I think it was out of respect and honestly I appreciate not seeing the woman die.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #816
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
better movie: No Country or Blood?
have not seen Blood but i will and I am sure from what I hear, it is really good as well.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #817
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I guess I will say SPOILER

Jthig, this was intentional. Notice that all the "bad" guys in the film were subjected to brutal deaths, in which every part was filmed. The two deaths you did not see were our main characters who yes we all had an attachment too. But, they hinted to this before it happened to Lewellyn. He let his guard down with that woman he met with the beers. You will notice that the scene faded out in the sunlight. At that point I knew it was coming. I just didn't know he wouldn't be killed by Anton but by a bunch of no good drug dealers. As for the other character, I think it was out of respect and honestly I appreciate not seeing the woman die.

****Spoiler for No country for old men*************

Well yeah, I know it was intentional. It was still a poor decision, imo. I'm not talking about the wife. I'm talking about the freaking protagonist of the entire freaking movie. They just threw hima way. It annoyed me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #818
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

*****Spoiler questions*****

How do y'all interpret the hotel scene after Lewellyn's death, where it appeared that Anton was hiding in the same room as the Sheriff, but did nothing? I couldn't tell whether they were in the same room or not, and regardless, I didn't understand why Anton chose to remain hidden.

Also, do y'all feel that the Sheriff retired to preserve the rest of his life, or just as an acceptance of the inevitable (death by Chigurh)?
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #819
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled

How do y'all interpret the hotel scene after Lewellyn's death, where it appeared that Anton was hiding in the same room as the Sheriff, but did nothing? I couldn't tell whether they were in the same room or not, and regardless, I didn't understand why Anton chose to remain hidden.

Also, do y'all feel that the Sheriff retired to preserve the rest of his life, or just as an acceptance of the inevitable (death by Chigurh)?
*****Spoiler*****

This follows what I was saying above. Chigurh is death to almost eveyrone he comes across. But, to the sheriff, he is just a "ghost". He actually said this. The few people who have seen him and lived were told "you did not see me". If you watch again, note the way the scene is filmed. You see the sheriff as if Chigurh is looking straight at him in the doorway.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 03-10-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #820
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Anton had no need to kill him. They were in the same room, Anton had just removed the bag of money and was hiding behind the door.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #821
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:

Sorry, I was in cooking dinner for the wife earlier and couldn't answer the whole quesiton.

****************Spoiler answer********************

Actually, the sheriff just flat out ran away from this problem. Which you will learn if you read the book, that he has done it before.

Yes, you are correct that it is inevitable, but this is a part of this characters history. You can read the book and find out the details. I strongly suggest anyone who liked the movie to read the book. The story is actually about the sheriiff and his journey.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 03-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #822
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Beowolf - pleasantly surprised.

I was a bit disappointed in Beowulf -- I didn't know it was CGI'd so I felt I'd been bait and switched all along.

3:10 to Yuma -- not bad, worth the time and effort, christian bale remains one of my favorite actors.

Slither -- funny good time if you like goofy horror flicks.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #823
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Sorry, I was in cooking dinner for the wife earlier and couldn't answer the whole quesiton.

****************Spoiler answer********************

Actually, the sheriff just flat out ran away from this problem. Which you will learn if you read the book, that he has done it before.

Yes, you are correct that it is inevitable, but this is a part of this characters history. You can read the book and find out the details. I strongly suggest anyone who liked the movie to read the book. The story is actually about the sheriiff and his journey.
book worth the read?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #824
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:

SPOILER******

I've seen the movie twice, and i always took it as the Sheriff realizes that he's past his prime b/c he felt like he's come across a man that he knows he can never catch, so he retires.

BTW, The Bank Job was a really good movie.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #825
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
book worth the read?
Yes. It is different than any of the authors other books. I would also suggest you read The Road by the same author.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #826
Just211
Platinum Member

3:10 was a quality movie. Not great, but no complaints.

The Lookout - pleasantly surprised. also not great. A little predictable, but good movie.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #827
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Watched 3:10 last night. Thought it kicked ass.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #828
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Watched 3:10 last night. Thought it kicked ass.
loved all but the last 15 minutes...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #829
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
agreed. A little to GI-JOE like for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #830
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I loved all but the last 15 minutes except the very last couple of minutes. The 10 minute miraculous bullet dodge was silly. The very ending was brilliant. I can't help but wonder, though, if the movie would have been better if Russell Crowe and Christian Bale switched roles.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #831
bernardos70
Diamond Member

I think Crowe is too much of a tough guy to even look intimidated as Bale did in that role. And vice-versa.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #832
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah -- I thought Crowe got a little too into Bale in the end .... something kind of gay about that, and killing his buddies was over the top and the bullet dodge was a bit too fantastic.

spoiler alert^^^^^
Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #833
sike
The Preacha

good to see I wasn't the only one scratching my head at the end....

Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #834
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ahahaha, alexamenos,

"I am your father"

oops, spoiler alert...
Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #835
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
ahahaha, alexamenos,

"I am your father"

oops, spoiler alert...
They blow up the shark AND Bruce Willis is dead....

spoiler alert!

very funny, shaggy.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #836
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Incredible Hulk trailer is going to be on MTV tonight at 8:56CT. Read the description, going to be good. One bad thing about the movie is Ed Norton is fighting with Marvel about the final product, but he says it's going to be good regardless.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #837
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

did we go back in time? i thought they tried the Hulk thing.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #838
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
"I am your father"

oops, spoiler alert...
can't say I didn't warn you....

....eventually.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #839
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
I think Crowe is too much of a tough guy to even look intimidated as Bale did in that role. And vice-versa.
"The Insider"/"A Beautiful Mind"
v.
"The Machinist"/"Batman Begins"

I think Bale could make a pretty sinister villain.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #840
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
ahahaha, alexamenos,

"I am your father"

oops, spoiler alert...
ha! this is a great post. This will be how I watch movies from now on.

soylent green is made out people.

oops. spoiler alert.

DWayde gets enough free throws to win the game.

oops. spoiler alert.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?