Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-22-2006, 11:45 PM   #121
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

My show:
Miami Ink
House
My name is Earl
Smallville
Prison Break
Oz
Wild Boyz

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #122
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Monday nights Studio 60 episode was some of the best TV I've seen in a while from beginning to end.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #123
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Monday nights Studio 60 episode was some of the best TV I've seen in a while from beginning to end.
Hmm. I would say it was the least interesting show to date.

Although I am very interested in seeing a young writer learn the business.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #124
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the greatness that is Studio 60 is absolutely TANKING in the ratings game. It came in 55th* this week.

And I liked this episode also.

* - This was information gathered from Spank-Spank and International Chirp-Chirp (aka back-door Georgie) so I can't link to anything.... but still....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 10-25-2006 at 09:22 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #125
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it isn't doing very well. They're losing a ton of viewers after Heroes.

But, it does have one thing going for it. It has the third highest median household income among network television shows.

So, they bring in the big spenders, even if their total numbers are lower.

Everything I've read says that the network is remaining patient.

I still don't understand why they don't move it. It's up against CSI:Miami and MNF. Move the stupid thing!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #126
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, 55th isn't necessarily tanking. There are lots of shows that are considered successful that are in the lower end of the top 50, like The Office.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #127
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I will plead ignorance on what is considered acceptable and not.... but 55th doesn't sound good. I hope they keep it. They sure are building some strong characters. I really loved the parallel they drew with the old character that was blacklisted and Matt this week.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #128
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I will plead ignorance on what is considered acceptable and not.... but 55th doesn't sound good. I hope they keep it. They sure are building some strong characters. I really loved the parallel they drew with the old character that was blacklisted and Matt this week.
Well, it's not great, certainly. And it's a disappointment for this type of show, with this cast, and Sorkin.

But, lots of shows in the lower part of the top 50 stay on the air for a long time.

The problem right now is that they haven't leveled off yet. They're still dropping every week.

There's also a week coming up where it won't be on. It was supposed to be a rerun night, but they're going to show Friday Night Lights in that slot, to try and get more people interested in it.

BTW, Friday Night Lights, for me, is proof that critics can be very, very wrong, because that show is, as Wolonski would say, terrrrible.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-25-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #129
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

55 is decent for the office which has a next to nothing budget...but for Studio 60 which has a huge budget...the 50's is nowhere near good enough...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #130
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Scrubs is coming back on November 30th...... good news for the few of us that care

Quote:
NBC RE-MAKES TWO-HOUR COMEDY BLOCK ON THURSDAYS WITH RETURN OF 'SCRUBS' AND MOVE OF '30 ROCK' TO JOIN 'MY NAME IS EARL' AND 'THE OFFICE' BEGINNING NOVEMBER 30

MOVE IS PRECEDED BY SPECIAL 'SUPER-SIZED' NIGHT OF COMEDY FEATURING 40-MINUTE EPISODES OF 'EARL,' 'THE OFFICE' AND '30 ROCK' ON NOVEMBER 16

BURBANK - October 25, 2006 - NBC will return the Emmy Award-nominated "Scrubs" and move freshman comedy "30 Rock" to Thursday nights beginning November 30 to form a new two-hour 8-10 p.m. (ET) comedy block with "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office." The change will follow a special super-sized night of comedy two weeks earlier on Thursday, November 16, with three 40-minute episodes of "My Name Is Earl," "The Office" and "30 Rock."

The announcements were made by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20061025nbc01
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I hate television.

This sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #132
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hooked to "Heroes"
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #133
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I hate television.

This sucks.

Well that's that then. I wonder how many we'll actually see. somewhere around 10 to 13 I think? Maybe not even that many.

f@cking gay

I wonder if there will even be a DVD set to buy.

Thanks American public. Once again you've proven that you'd rather yell Deal or No deal at your god damn tv than watch a show with a little substance and heart.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #134
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Your anger is misdirected. If TV wasn't so much about bottom line, they'd keep your show on.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #135
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Your anger is misdirected. If TV wasn't so much about bottom line, they'd keep your show on.
What business isn't about the bottom line?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #136
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Studio 60 is failing because it stinks.

I think the best new show is Shark.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #137
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

The Unit is the only show I'm completely sold on.
Heroes- I'm buying into.
CSI: Las Vegas - it sold out with the sexiness.
Lost - buyers remorse. I'd send back the season I wasted watching it if I could.

I still watch the Simpsons several times a week.
I'll watch American Idol a couple times a week when it starts back up.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #138
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

for some reason I can't seem to look at James Woods seriously after that Family Guy episode about him.

"Oooh piece of candy, Ooooh piece of candy, Oooooh piece of candy...."

lol
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #139
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i dont watch friday night lights. but i heard they are going to cancel it..any word?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #140
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

KG....so much rage....seeing red...must control.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #141
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
i dont watch friday night lights. but i heard they are going to cancel it..any word?
I watched it once.

Didn't think much of it.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #142
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I watched it once.

Didn't think much of it.
I watched the pilot, thought it was awful. Varsity Blues on the small screen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-30-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #143
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KG....so much rage....seeing red...must control.
It's okay. Feel free to vent, if you must.

Studio 60 still stinks.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #144
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
It's okay. Feel free to vent, if you must.

Studio 60 still stinks.
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Such a great show....such a travesty.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #145
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'll play along...

Why do you think it's such a great show?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #146
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'll play along...

Why do you think it's such a great show?
You don't really have to play along. lol

I've liked every show Sorkin has done. I loved Sports Night, and liked West Wing, and I love(D) Studio 60.

Beyond the typical style of Sorkin, I love Mathew Perry, and I really like most of the characters, especially Hughleys characters, which is weird because I can't stand the actor, normally.

I also find the setting to be fascinating. I've always been interested in the radio/television industry, and I am fascinated by a fictitious look at the inner workings of that kind of show.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-30-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #147
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah the style of Sorkin, the way the dialogue is written, and Matt Perry are the big ones for me.

Other than that, I think it's very well acted all around, and the premise is a fresh one. The characters from the first episode seemed "lived in" already, established, having their own identities. I thought it was all very well done. There was a nice subtlety to the comedy of the show, and on most episodes the balance between the drama and the comedy was very agreeable to me.

The one thing I didnt like about it, was the skits in the show (in the show) were not very funny. They certaintly didnt need to be for the plot, and they only last a few moments and then they're gone, but I certainly think that hurt the show.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #148
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Matthew Perry's acting wasn't that bad, but certainly not enough to keep the show going. In fact, the main redeeming feature I can see in the show is the fact that Amanda Peet is a cast member.

The show was way too self-important for my tastes, and it just wasn't that interesting. Sure, the concept of a show about a television show could be interesting, but not the way this one was done.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #149
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The show was way too self-important for my tastes,
That is Sorkin's style, and is why I couldn't watch more than half a scene. It's gotta be one of the main reasons it failed. I think people just saw this as West Wing II, and they were tired of it.

As far as the premise, how's 30 Rock doing? That looked like a "goofy" version of Studio60 to me, but I haven't been able to catch an episode.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 10-30-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #150
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Matthew Perry's acting wasn't that bad, but certainly not enough to keep the show going. In fact, the main redeeming feature I can see in the show is the fact that Amanda Peet is a cast member.

The show was way too self-important for my tastes, and it just wasn't that interesting. Sure, the concept of a show about a television show could be interesting, but not the way this one was done.
I think Amanda Peete's character is/was my least favorite. I thought after the first few episodes she became very forced.

Weird how people can have such distinctly different views.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #151
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin

As far as the premise, how's 30 Rock doing? That looked like a "goofy" version of Studio60 to me, but I haven't been able to catch an episode.
I watched the pilot, and struggled to even get through it. The jokes were not funny at all IMO, and the characters seemed extremely forced.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #152
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I watched the pilot, and struggled to even get through it. The jokes were not funny at all IMO, and the characters seemed extremely forced.
eh, too bad. I really like Tracy Morgan.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #153
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

ah, Numbers. I forgot Numbers. That's one of my favorites
Old 10-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #154
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
eh, too bad. I really like Tracy Morgan.

Well give it a shot. Apparently most of us have VERY differing opinions on network TV shows.

But I know what everyone's watching this Thursday night!!!

(the office right?)
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #155
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well give it a shot. Apparently most of us have VERY differing opinions on network TV shows.

But I know what everyone's watching this Thursday night!!!

(the office right?)
I will be. I'm officially out on Earl though. It stopped being funny to me.

I have a very short attention span with comedies though.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #156
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
That is Sorkin's style, and is why I couldn't watch more than half a scene. It's gotta be one of the main reasons it failed. I think people just saw this as West Wing II, and they were tired of it.
No question about it.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #157
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I think Amanda Peete's character is/was my least favorite. I thought after the first few episodes she became very forced.

Weird how people can have such distinctly different views.
Who said anything about her character?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #158
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I will be. I'm officially out on Earl though. It stopped being funny to me.

I have a very short attention span with comedies though.

I was kidding. If you're not watching the Mavs game you're a commy bastard.

Ill download the office later. damnit I need a tivo.

Im still in on Earl. He's just to goofy.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #159
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

After a miserable start, Friday Night Lights has consistently gotten better...significantly better. I hope it finds a home on Monday nights. I haven't seen tonight's episode, but the last couple of episodes have been nothing short of tremendous.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:31 AM   #160
sike
The Preacha

ouch. I thought Studio 60's last episode was very good...and then.....like that.....it's(he's) gone

Tags
dary, dvr fail, fluff warning, fluffhouse 92, fluffy envy, got a bit fluffy in here, its getting fluff in here, legen, legendaryfail, shut the fluff up!, tag wasting, wait for it, you married your tv?