Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-17-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm shocked, shocked I tell you there's gerrymandering going on!!!

I wonder if the texas dimocrats will join the pubs to help block this horrible re-districting. Chuckle.

http://www.mdjonline.com/articles/20...5/10138009.prt

Redistricting drama closing on its final act
By Kristen Wyatt

Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - Georgia Democrats crafted a plan three years ago that they thought would guarantee their hold on power in the Legislature for at least a decade - a set of House and Senate maps designed to squeeze Republican votes and keep the ruling party sitting on top.

To say the plan backfired is putting it lightly.

Democrats lost the governor's office and the state Senate. A federal court threw out their maps. And a court-drawn map released Monday would throw dozens more Democrats out of office.

Now the party that had ruled Georgia since Reconstruction is looking for a last-minute strategy to tweak those federal maps, maybe the best chance they have to avoid ceding all of state government to the GOP.

House Democrats huddled Tuesday to figure out what to do about the court-drawn map that includes only 88 seats considered "safe" for Democratic candidates. That's three seats short of a majority. More than 40 sitting Democrats would have to run against fellow incumbents if the court map stands.

"Nobody's safe at this juncture," sighed Rep. Mickey Stephens (D-Savannah), who was lumped in a new district with another Democrat.

In a last-ditch effort to keep the court map from taking effect, Democrats plan to pass their own version in the House this week.

The Democrat plan would be significantly kinder to the ruling party, and party leaders hope they could cement support by recruiting some of the 25 House Republicans who would also be forced to run against fellow incumbents.

"The court map is not final," declared Rep. Carolyn Hugley, a Columbus Democrat and chairwoman of the Reapportionment Committee. Hugley has extra incentive to circumvent that court map - it throws her in a district with two of the most powerful and longest-serving House members, Reps. Calvin Smyre and Tom Buck.

It is unclear whether the judges would accept a new map. When a three-judge federal panel threw out the maps earlier this year - saying they were illegally gerrymandered to help Democrats - they asked the Legislature to redraw its districts by March 1.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2004, 12:55 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I'm shocked, shocked I tell you there's gerrymandering going on!!!

touche'

I love it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

All boundaries for the political elections should follow natural community outlines. The history of both demos and repubs to craft districts to their own liking/benefit creates ameoba-like boundaries that many times divides the communities. This should be stopped and prohibited, it is NOT healthy for the democratic process but subverts the redistricting to political goals, rather than true representation for which it was intended.

The parties don't seem to understand that "gerrymandering" is a negative word.

Just look at the district that was created for the defeat of Martin Frost. It doesn't follow any resonable form, meandering in and out of several cities/neighborhoods.

This whole thing needs to be put back into the bottle. Unfortunately with elected judges it isn't possible to have the courts impartial either. A very sad situation for all voters IMHO.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:I'm shocked, shocked I tell you there's gerrymandering going on!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
All boundaries for the political elections should follow natural community outlines. The history of both demos and repubs to craft districts to their own liking/benefit creates ameoba-like boundaries that many times divides the communities. This should be stopped and prohibited, it is NOT healthy for the democratic process but subverts the redistricting to political goals, rather than true representation for which it was intended.

Just look at the district that was created for the defeat of Martin Frost. It doesn't follow any resonable form, meandering in and out of several cities/neighborhoods.

This whole thing needs to be put back into the bottle. Unfortunately with elected judges it isn't possible to have the courts impartial either. A very sad situation for all voters IMHO.
I agree. I think that is the first political post I've read of yours that I agree with you.

It is sad that we can have customized districts, and it is obvious why it is done.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

gotta agree too......
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:I'm shocked, shocked I tell you there's gerrymandering going on!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog

For once I'm in full agreement with you Mavdog. If only the politicians would listen. Sigh.