Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Guess it's actually official now that Art is reporting it. See ya Avery.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

“It is never easy to relieve a coach of his duties, especially one of Avery’s caliber,” owner Mark Cuban said. “He is a talented coach and I want to thank him for his efforts over the last four years and what he has done for this franchise. We wish him well in the future.”

interesting.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
over managing everything was one of AJ's biggest problems....he just never trusted his players....maybe he had reason with a few...but it wouldn't have mattered who was in here...that is just his way. Might he learn to change/grow now that he has been fired?...maybe...was he going to learn that here? Not a chance.
you always say things better.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I think Carlisle will be our guy.
One of my priorities is getting a coach who will encourage Dirk to shoot/attack at all times...and will design plays to get his best player in position to score best suited to his strengths.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #45
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

wow.

wow.

i don't know how i feel now that it's done. i was all for it, but i somehow think it could bite us in the ass.

then i think about those rotations, and...................

smile.

Last edited by muzak; 04-30-2008 at 01:37 PM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #46
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One of my priorities is getting a coach who will encourage Dirk to shoot/attack at all times...and will design plays to get his best player in position to score best suited to his strengths.
Do you think Carlisle is the guy to do that? I just checked his stats and it looks like the teams he coached never averaged more than about 93 pts per game. I don't like it.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Do you think Carlisle is the guy to do that? I just checked his stats and it looks like the teams he coached never averaged more than about 93 pts per game. I don't like it.
Dirk can score in the half court...JO never had that hard of a time scoring.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #48
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I loved having a defensive minded coach. I really did. It was so choice. I relished it, and laughed at teams who didn't put emphasis on defense.

The only reason that worked for 2 years, was because the Mavericks could score in their sleep for whatever reason, and didn't need to be coached on it.

And in the end, they couldn't score the ball to save their lives.

I shudder at the thought of going to an "offensive" coach, but what are we supposed to do otherwise?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #49
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a bad case of seller's remorse right now.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #50
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I loved having a defensive minded coach. I really did. It was so choice. I relished it, and laughed at teams who didn't put emphasis on defense.

The only reason that worked for 2 years, was because the Mavericks could score in their sleep for whatever reason, and didn't need to be coached on it.

And in the end, they couldn't score the ball to save their lives.

I shudder at the thought of going to an "offensive" coach, but what are we supposed to do otherwise?
the problem was that the defense was so suspect so very often...I DO NOT give Avery tons of props for D this season. I know a lot of this is on the players....but I refuse to think of him as successful defensive coach this season.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #51
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Ah c'mon. This team was in disarray. It had to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #52
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
i feel you. and, we'll have to wait till next year to shake it. if we do...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #53
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Quote:
ok...but remind yourself who you're asking for....another guy who is not a well developed coach...he only preaches one side of the ball: offense.

no thanks.
that´s a huge improvement over Avery who was preaching .. .uhm ... something alike "my team" on both sides of the ball, which lead to nothing.

I´m all for Del doing the D things (not that it worked great with Nellie at the Helm)

not sure there´s many unemployed guys out there who i´d really love to get here.

bird maybe, but he ain´t coming.

then again, we´re all so settled with "not going anywhere" by now that any hope would be a great improvement. and if we´re going nowhere, at least let´s go there playing fun-to-watch basketball.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #54
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
do you need the giant smiley face??

Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the problem was that the defense was so suspect so very often...I DO NOT give Avery tons of props for D this season. I know a lot of this is on the players....but I refuse to think of him as successful defensive coach this season.
Right. What happened to our defensive identity this season? It was gone. Avery philosophy was blowing in the wind all season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #56
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

"What da hell jus happened?"
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #57
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I defended Avery all season long because he promised things would be different when the playoffs rolled around...

Things were not different...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #58
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh certainly not this season.

I was just thinking of mid-season last year, and the playoffs in 2006. I was so proud he was our coach, I was very pleased.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #59
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ah c'mon. This team was in disarray. It had to happen.
But it's only a good move if they get someone who is a net gain over Avery. Guess we'll see. I have faith in Cuban to get the guy he wants, but my ultimate judgment doesn't come until our new coach is in place.

As of right now, I just can't help but think about all the good things Avery did for the team, which often seems to be lost in all of the bad.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #60
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

At least he's still got his eight pack for his wife.

'douche.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out you SOB.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #62
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Right. What happened to our defensive identity this season? It was gone. Avery philosophy was blowing in the wind all season.
this may be too obvious....but I think this team's heart had quit on Avery after his retarded coaching in the GS series.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #63
muzak

c'mon guys...don't be so bitter about him. give the man some dignity. i believe he did the best he could. it was just very rookie-esque.

Last edited by muzak; 04-30-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #64
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
But it's only a good move if they get someone who is a net gain over Avery. Guess we'll see. I have faith in Cuban to get the guy he wants, but my ultimate judgment doesn't come until our new coach is in place.

As of right now, I just can't help but think about all the good things Avery did for the team, which often seems to be lost in all of the bad.
I have been more heartbroken under his coaching "reign" than at any other time in my fandom of the Mavs....and that goes WAY back.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #65
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

For the long run, you're right.

But for this core, for this group, any coach is a net gain, because of the disarray this current team. It had to be done, no matter who replaces him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #66
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
For the long run, you're right.

But for this core, for this group, any coach is a net gain, because of the disarray this current team. It had to be done, no matter who replaces him.
and BINGO was his nameo

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #67
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I wish he was fired earlier though...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #68
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

"Avery Johnson is traveling but will join Randy Galloway today at 3:20."

Per ESPN Radio 103.3 FM
Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #69
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Like what was said above, a lot of the people we're talking about as candidates could possibly considered a net gain. They're either similiar in defensive approach, but it's a new voice and slightly different way so the results could be different. If it's an offensive guy, then it's totally a different look and if they're offense that will bring new wrinkles and possibly make for a more efficient offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°

Per ESPN Radio 103.3 FM
He's traveling to find a new job, had to do that one.

I wonder if that was from yesterday or really is today. He already backed out of one interview. It's going to be VERY interesting if he does it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #70
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Here is what I want from the next coach:

1. Experienced NBA coach: After this, I am done with rookie coaches, ex-assistants and the like.
2. Innovative: Does NOT try to mould the players into what they are not. Put in a system that is best for the players available. Make use of the unique talents of Dirk.
3. Develop young players: That was a great Nellie trait that Avery never picked up on. He hoarded washed-up vets, traded Quis & Devin and stunted the growth of Mbenga, Diop and Bass.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #71
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Na na....na na na na....hey hey hey.....GOOODBYE!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #72
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
Here is what I want from the next coach:

1. Experienced NBA coach: After this, I am done with rookie coaches, ex-assistants and the like.
2. Innovative: Does NOT try to mould the players into what they are not. Put in a system that is best for the players available. Make use of the unique talents of Dirk.
3. Develop young players: That was a great Nellie trait that Avery never picked up on. He hoarded washed-up vets, traded Quis & Devin and stunted the growth of Mbenga, Diop and Bass.
....so you want Nellie?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #73
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°

Per ESPN Radio 103.3 FM
3:20 central?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #74
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
....so you want Nellie?
if we really want to turn full circle

Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #75
Windmill360
Diamond Member

yes.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #76
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Thank goodness if Avery is gone. Honestly i wondered if he was working for sa and Pops. He started out saying we must have a center are we are losers. He was so right. He said we must play defense or we are goners and people laughed and lauged and said Dallas can NEVER play any defense. Avery done it. People was shocked and we had a center(2) and we could play defense. That almost won us a nba title.

I was like this guy is going the route Pop did and sa and we are going to be winners along time. Then all of a sudden, he abandoned everything he stood for, sat Dampier, did not want any defense, loved Stack, Terry, Bass, Jones, George. Sat Dampier, got rid of Diop and he hated Harris like he hated Daniels. I pulled my hair out watching how sad it was playing to lose and all the things we had worked for and learned, abandon it and went to dead old basketball and more Nellie style with old players. I was like has Avery gone crazy? We was no longer a sa style team and we had no style. Our team was being ripped apart. We sucked and we still do. I felt Avey was getting a paycheck from gs and sa but he switched in mid stream. It made Cuban look like a fool. Cuban is not stupid and he goes to almost all the games and sees what is happening. Maybe Avery was wanting out to go somewhere else?

In the end, they wrecked our team.

1.Kidd-Hall of famer but old and alot of mileage. Tony Parker and Harris on our style team and sa team is so much more important. Tony Parker killed Phx and he seems like he has played 10 years and he is only 25 years old. Sa is great and they will continue to be great. They do not make stupidity moves. Pops is also a genious. Kidd, maybe he has a year or two left but he has to have different players and a differ style here or he has to move on. He can't play standing still or being a jump horse Antoine Walker shooter. Not his game.

2.Stackhouse. Avery loves this man. When you are close to the end of your career, you stand still and shoot. We have alot of these. Stack plays no defense, none and he is old. We drafted a young slow stand still player to fit the mold and he looked old but was young in Faz.

3.Devean George. Old. Stands still. Guard? What guard can he defend anymore? He is also a horse player.

4.Barea. Midget.

5.Juwanny Howard. Old. Oh yes he tries but my god the man is old.

6.Lue. This man is no spring chicken. He also is not very tall. After throwing away harris, i guess we needed a back up pg for Kidd but again Lue is not young. Plus we move over a man in Terry to sg that "says" he is 6'2". Is Terry really 6'2"? Again this is a midget a sg. No defense.

7.Magloire. I have not even seen him play.

8.Malik Allen. We turned him into a horse player as soon as he got here.

You have five players to work with, Dirk, Josh Howard if he wants to play anymore and if the league lets him, Jason Terry, Dampier and Kidd. The hard facts is that is our team. What we was missing before the Kidd trade, we are still missing. Whomever made the trade and sent us down a path of destruction needs to go, was it Donnie Nelson, Cuban, Avery but in the end we have a worse off team, not as many players as we did, dead old and not much way of getting better. Avery needs to hit the road and go to gs or sa who he seemed to be with when he was coaching for us the last year.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #77
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well....we could be worse off then Kidd and Dirk. Honestly, the team with Avery as coach just didn't want to be on the court. How the f*** do you confuse a HOF point guard into oblivion? I don't buy that Kidd is done. He just looked like everyone else on the court. Confused and lethargic.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #78
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
....so you want Nellie?
After the last couple of seasons, I wish we'd kept Nellie. Wonder if he'd consider coming back form the Warriors?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #79
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
After the last couple of seasons, I wish we'd kept Nellie. Wonder if he'd consider coming back form the Warriors?
No. No he would not.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #80
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Please Cuban, don't give us a weakminded yes-man who you can manipulate. Please get JVG.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote