Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice
Default Sac Media praising Mantis: Bradley makes a difference

I really like reading the opponents' view before and after the games (naturally, even more after the Mavs' wins)

This time the Sac media proclaimed the Mantis as the match winner. I do have to agree. Hope there are more sightings of Mantis to come

PS: Mpds: If the article has already been posted, please delete the thread

Bradley makes a difference

DALLAS -- The Kings never expected this, a 7-foot-6, 280-pound hulking, hovering, disruptive maze of humanity in the middle of the Mavericks' normally cushy interior. But then, who does?

Shawn Bradley has been an NBA enigma throughout his 11 seasons, and an ailing, erratic one at that. Left knee, right knee, lower back, upper back, left ankle, right ankle. Name the body part and the veteran center invariably has sustained damage, while at the same time, inflicting a fair share of discomfort with his own sharply angled elbows.

On Sunday, the Kings caught the worst of it.

Bradley played, they lost.

Bradley plays like this a little more often -- blocking shots, impeding movement, contesting field goals, and anchoring an effective zone defense -- and he alters more than the outcome of a single game. The entire equation of the already contentious Western Conference takes a sizable shift, with Dallas thrust into the thick of the scrum alongside San Antonio, Minnesota, Los Angeles (Lakers), and the Kings. In essence, the team with too many forwards and nothing in the middle becomes transformed, and at least against the Kings, suddenly capable of countering that Vlade Divac/Brad Miller combination.

The two 7-footers were outsized, if you can believe that. Outsized and outplayed during the seminal sequences. That, too. "Obviously Shawn changed the game," said Divac. "He made our guards change their shots, and the tempo was not what we wanted. We did not do a good job attacking him, especially late in that third quarter."

Until then, the Kings were cruising, cutting, leading 72-67, seemingly poised to avert a two-game skid and improve their prospects for what is quickly evolving into a brutal midseason road swing. Peja Stojakovic stroking threes and scoring inside. Mike Bibby popping loose for jumpers and stutter-stepping his way to the basket. Bobby Jackson knocking in shots. Miller dominating the boards and influencing field-goal attempts. Divac whirling around Dirk Nowitzki for his normal allotment of layups and dump-off passes for layups.

But then ... a Bradley sighting.

And a block on Miller in the lane.

And an arm obstructing Miller's reverse layup.

And an arm and shoulder smothering Bibby inside.

And the entire ensemble -- arms, elbows, shoulders, etc. -- rushing at Stojakovic on the left side, forcing arguably the game's best shooter to launch a little too quickly, and with too much arc, preserving the Mavericks' advantage and the momentum entering the fourth period.

"I just try to contribute," Bradley offered afterward, "so that when I come off the court, the guys say I did a good job. But it's been rough. This is the healthiest I've been for two years. I had knee surgery, then more knee surgery, then earlier this year more problems (back). It's hard because I know that when I play like this, I can make a difference."

The oft-maligned center not only contributed six points, six rebounds, and two blocked shots in what was clearly his best effort of the year, he also played 21 minutes. Now, whether he sustains this type of performance, continuing to be a factor as the season progresses, remains to be seen. But it already has created a ripple effect both in the conference and right here at home.

The Mavs' resurgence coincides with improved team chemistry, more enthusiastic defense, and in a few of the more recent games in particular, with Bradley's re-emergence as a factor defensively. Strange, isn't it, how quickly the league's landscape can be altered? How big a factor a big guy can be?

This six-game road swing, for instance, continues to expose the Kings' shaky interior defense and lack of depth -- at least compared with last season -- and suggests the need for the addition of a quicker, lankier defender at backup shooting guard and small forward. But equally evident is this: Even the NBA's elite teams have weaknesses, and at some point, inevitably stumble into slump. The Spurs currently are struggling. The Lakers have dropped five of 10.

The Pacers and Pistons both have lost consecutive games.

In fact, besides the increasingly dangerous Timberwolves, who are still without Wally Szczerbiak and Troy Hudson, the Mavericks are the only other contender in the midst of a significant midseason roll. And who expected that, either?

A mere two weeks ago, Don Nelson seemed on the verge of resigning or being fired, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison appeared incapable of coexisting with Nowitzki, who was immersed in his own season-long slump. Steve Nash was injured. Backups Travis Best and Tony Delk were playing themselves back onto the bench. And owner Mark Cuban swore, swore, that his team was talented enough to contend for a title as presently assembled.

Well, now, anything goes. The best that can be said is that the race to the finish probably will be determined by which team absorbs the fewest bumps, bruises, broken bones, etc., including the Kings.

But, as the Kings discovered Sunday, Bradley is one big body to move.

Bradley makes this Kings-Mavs rivalry that much more interesting.
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Sac Media praising Mantis: Bradley makes a difference

Quote:
[i]
Until then, the Kings were cruising, cutting, leading 72-67, seemingly poised to avert a two-game skid and improve their prospects for what is quickly evolving into a brutal midseason road swing.

Didn't look like they were cruising to me. It looked more like the Mavs were doing the cruising and putting it into high gear in the last few minutes of each quarter.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Great article.

I witnessed the greatness of the Mantis in person yesterday. Consistent minutes and consistent play from the Mantis are vital to a continued resurgence of this Mavericks squad.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

What a wonderful article. I particularly liked this passage:

Quote:
And a block on Miller in the lane.

And an arm obstructing Miller's reverse layup.

And an arm and shoulder smothering Bibby inside.

And the entire ensemble -- arms, elbows, shoulders, etc. -- rushing at Stojakovic on the left side, forcing arguably the game's best shooter to launch a little too quickly, and with too much arc, preserving the Mavericks' advantage and the momentum entering the fourth period.
Just like the razor wire stretched out along a US-Iraqi blockade proves just enough disincentive to keep terrorists and Bathist insurgents miles away from the barracks where our soldiers rest, so does this Bradley wall keep our opponents squinting at our basket from afar. But unlike simple razor wire, which is really just a sedintary, looming image of pain, this wall is alive. It is a spasmic wall of flailing limbs and pointed elbows that doesn't hesitate to jut out and cut down any foes who dare trespass near his territory.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ZueriMav
The Kings never expected this, a 7-foot-6, 280-pound hulking, hovering, disruptive maze of humanity
This writer has been reading some madape, I'm thinking.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Sac Media praising Mantis: Bradley makes a difference

The legends are true! The hero has risen from his grave to lay down spiteful vengence upon his enemies. Even our opponents are now aware that "the power has shifted".

Judgement day has come.

Yesterday, the Mantis deemed the queens.... UNWORTHY!

As he walks towards redemtion, he leads the path of the rightous. Those that follow him will be rewarded with the spoils of triumph. Those that oppose him will be stricken down, left to rot beneath the feet of those who join him on his march towards the light.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That is greatness, madape. I do so enjoy your Bradley legends. The man is larger than life, to be sure.

Your last post reminded me of this:

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And you will know my name is the MANTIS, when I block your shot into the third row.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

A critical stat for Bradley: only 2 fouls.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

the block on Miller was unbelievable. Bradley just smothered him like a lead blanket.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The rest of the NBA should be praying that they don't get preyed upon..... because the Mantis is healthy and on a roll....

Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #11
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

His contributions really can't be minimized. He's been great lately.

Is this proof of how big an effect a natural center can have on this team? It sure seems to me that this team doesn't lose when Shawn gets consistent minutes and plays well. Remember the 14 game winning streak to start last season?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Great article.

I witnessed the greatness of the Mantis in person yesterday. Consistent minutes and consistent play from the Mantis are vital to a continued resurgence of this Mavericks squad.
I think the order that you put "Consistent" in your comments is right on. With more consistent minutes I expect Mavs will get consistent play when he is healthy. The one thing that Shawn CAN do that would greatly improve his contributions is to increase the strenght in his hands so that he can hold on to more of the balls that he actually gets to.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Consistent minutes always precede consistent play.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Consistent minutes always precede consistent play.
Not according to Nellie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I think Nellie was masterful in his use of Bradley in the Sac game. Not too little and not too much. If Bradley plays within himself and takes advantage of his height rather than bringing the ball down on offense or leaving his feet on defense on pump fakes, then he will improve his consistency.

Way to go Mantis!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

I agree. Bradley gets worn out too easy so he should be used sparingly. Play him5-6 minutes in the first half. and 15-20 in the 2nd.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

The thing with Bradley is that HE CAN make a difference but I believe his entire career has been based upon that. He'll make a play or two throughout the course of a game, but what frustrates me with him is that it should be more. Whether people believe it or not, he is athletic, he does have touch and he is a smart basketball player, but sometimes I truly wonder about his desire.

The one credit I will give to this man that I think he is absolutely great is, I've been to about four or five games this year. I've watched the players interact with the fans after the games and BY FAR the one who is the best is Bradley. That's without saying. People can say it's because he's not approached the most, but he's approached more than alot of the players who doesn't get any time at all or who people don't even know who is on the team, but he is truly, TRULY a classy guy. If nothing else from watching him this year, I have a TON of respect for the way he deals and talks to fans. Especially considering he getting harrassed and booed so much, he still signs autographs, smile and is very cordial, which believe it or not you can NOT say that about every other Maverick.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:02 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

ape=greatness

Nice article. Especially from a Sacbee writer.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 PM   #19
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheKid
The thing with Bradley is that HE CAN make a difference but I believe his entire career has been based upon that. He'll make a play or two throughout the course of a game, but what frustrates me with him is that it should be more. Whether people believe it or not, he is athletic, he does have touch and he is a smart basketball player, but sometimes I truly wonder about his desire.

The one credit I will give to this man that I think he is absolutely great is, I've been to about four or five games this year. I've watched the players interact with the fans after the games and BY FAR the one who is the best is Bradley. That's without saying. People can say it's because he's not approached the most, but he's approached more than alot of the players who doesn't get any time at all or who people don't even know who is on the team, but he is truly, TRULY a classy guy. If nothing else from watching him this year, I have a TON of respect for the way he deals and talks to fans. Especially considering he getting harrassed and booed so much, he still signs autographs, smile and is very cordial, which believe it or not you can NOT say that about every other Maverick.

Good post Kid. Nice to know something more about Bradley. If he would apply a little of that kind of personal relationship power to his dealings with the refs, he'd be much better off.

Also, if players in the NBA were graded on what kind of human beings they were rather than athletic skill, a whole lot of them might not make "the cut."
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #20
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

"I wish we could find a way to buy an NBA team," said Divac, who was featured in a cartoon played on the big screen at Sunday's Kings-Mavericks game. "C-Webb could put in 90 percent, and I could put in 10 percent, and then we could have a cartoon about (Dallas owner) Mark Cuban."

What happened in this cartoon? lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:09 PM   #21
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

i never am vocal enough in expressing my appreciation for mantis.

so, here you go:
he is the only mavs player i had a signature on my tshirt, and i ever hi-five with.

way to go, mantis, u even made me dream about sabonis a bit less.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #22
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Not to be a pessimist, but folks we've been here before with Shaun Bradley, recall that it was just last year when he started the season working hard, being effective only to fade into that fouling machine who couldn't hold onto the ball. We've seen it all from the enigma that is a 7 foot 6 mantis.

The most impressive part of Shaun's play of late is his communication with the team. Shaun is more involved than season's past and that shows in not only his play but also how his teammates are incorporating his talents into the game, a couple of nice cuts into the lane rewarded by Walker and Dirk giving him the ball, and also calling his name for that mid range baseline shot he's been hitting.

Bradley needs to show this for a bit longer before I'm going to believe that he can be relied upon tho...he was very much a factor yesterday, what he will do in the future is a guess.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #23
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Not to be a pessimist, but folks we've been here before with Shaun Bradley, recall that it was just last year when he started the season working hard, being effective only to fade into that fouling machine who couldn't hold onto the ball. We've seen it all from the enigma that is a 7 foot 6 mantis.

The most impressive part of Shaun's play of late is his communication with the team. Shaun is more involved than season's past and that shows in not only his play but also how his teammates are incorporating his talents into the game, a couple of nice cuts into the lane rewarded by Walker and Dirk giving him the ball, and also calling his name for that mid range baseline shot he's been hitting.

Bradley needs to show this for a bit longer before I'm going to believe that he can be relied upon tho...he was very much a factor yesterday, what he will do in the future is a guess.
... and then Nellie gets blamed for having to sit Bradley on the bench.

I don't think Nellie OR EVEN Bradley should be blamed for his lack of production at times. Bradley is just a freak of nature. I am amazed he can justwalk around, period. You just have to take what Bradley can give you and be thankful.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #24
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
"I wish we could find a way to buy an NBA team," said Divac, who was featured in a cartoon played on the big screen at Sunday's Kings-Mavericks game. "C-Webb could put in 90 percent, and I could put in 10 percent, and then we could have a cartoon about (Dallas owner) Mark Cuban."

They have this one which is a series. (Sorta lame IMHO):

Mystery Mavs Cartoon

and they had a cartoon Vlade up on the board as the player whose head explodes if the noise meter gets high enough. funny, it always does...

Old 01-26-2004, 08:16 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley had a good season last year.

It's amazing. Bradley's held to different standards than pretty much any other middle of the roster type guy in the NBA. It's always 'if only he were consistent'. Newsflash, Mike Finley had been in a year and a half shooting slump. NVE is the most inconsistent player in the history of the NBA. Walker has been inconsistent throughout his entire career. Dirk stumbled for almost a year.

Why is Bradley held to a different story by fans and by Nellie? Well, the answer for Nellie is simple. For much of the past half decade, Nellie would rather have an additional scorer on the court as opposed to having a guy on the court that doesn't do much offensively but can change the game defensively. Now for the fans. Well, there really is no good answer as to why The Mantis is held to a higher standard than players that are better than him.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheKid

He and walker both put their hands over their heart during the national anthem. They are both ok guys in my book!! I also think shawn has one of the most peaceful demeanors amongst all of the catcalls.

Should do more, could do more. I don't know, if he could he probably would. I still think his biggest problem is balance. Some way to improve that would make him an all-star.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:40 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't agree with your comment about nellie and bradley. What nelson expects is effort. Bradley doesn't always give it to him.

The fans think that just because you are 7'6" that you should get every rebound, dunk every shot, block everything. Then he can't catch his balance and falls down. The fans expectations are too high.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-26-2004, 08:54 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't agree with you Dude. Bradley has found himself in the doghouse because of Nellie's propensity to go with more scorers. It's not because of effort. It has much more to do with Nellie's love for having as many scorers on the court as possible.

If it was about effort, you wouldn't see Bradley getting yanked just for making a mistake so many times like we have in the past regardless of what the 'effort' is like.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #29
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bradley had a good season last year.

It's amazing. Bradley's held to different standards than pretty much any other middle of the roster type guy in the NBA. It's always 'if only he were consistent'. Newsflash, Mike Finley had been in a year and a half shooting slump. NVE is the most inconsistent player in the history of the NBA. Walker has been inconsistent throughout his entire career. Dirk stumbled for almost a year.

Why is Bradley held to a different story by fans and by Nellie? Well, the answer for Nellie is simple. For much of the past half decade, Nellie would rather have an additional scorer on the court as opposed to having a guy on the court that doesn't do much offensively but can change the game defensively. Now for the fans. Well, there really is no good answer as to why The Mantis is held to a higher standard than players that are better than him.
A “higher standard” you say? Hogwash.

What type of “higher standard” is Fin held to as posts are made offering him up afor other team's mediocre players cuz he is “over the hill” and just not good enough anymore. Expendable as yesterday’s newspaper…and that’s after contributing more to this team than Shawn could only dream of reaching.

Dirk doesn’t get much flak, and Steve is just so amazing it’s hard to find fault. And do you really think that Walker isn’t looked at and assaulted with high expectations?

Bradley is incredibly inconsistent. Just this year he has produced 6 games in which he has TOTALED 2 or less boards while out on the court for double digit minutes. What else is he out there for but to block shots and rebound? Does your "standard" for a center not include getting a few boards? If it does than he didn't meet your standards either.

To blame Nellie for Bradley’s lack of consistentcy is not supported by any factual evidence. Reality is that Bradley does not consistently produce out on the court, and that is his own failure, not anybody else’s.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

But when you listen to nellie explain it there is usually a good reason for it. For example. The last game where he was put in and then yanked after about 1 minute. What looked like a missed shot was in actuality nellie not getting the effort he wanted. His comment was (I am paraphrasing). "When I put a guy off the bench like that I expect a little spark, he played like he had been in there for 40 minutes". Not that he missed a shot etc.

I was screaming at him at the arena as well and in fact ragged on him for the rest of the game. But he put him back in after that, got the effort that he wanted. I don't think nellie is infalliable, but what "coach" wants is guys playing hard. If not, they don't play.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #31
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

This is sort of a "chicken and the egg" type argument.

Would Shawn play consistently well if Nellie gave him consistent minutes? Should Shawn have to play consistently well to earn consistent minutes?

I think the answer probably lies somewhere in between. I think that there have been times when Nellie yanked Shawn for making a stupid play or mistake (especially on the offensive end of the floor); effort had nothing to do with it. I also think that there have been times when Nellie has yanked Shawn because the effort just wasn't there. I really can see both sides of the argument here.

I heard Fred Carter on ESPN Radio after the game talking about Bradley (he coached him in Philly), and he said that he just didn't believe Shawn had the heart for the game to give 100% effort all of the time. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's certainly the perception of a guy who had a lot more inside access to the guy than I have. So I think that maybe there is some truth to the argument that Shawn doesn't play hard every night out.

Then again, it's my contention that whether he plays hard or not, you have to stick him out there. He makes an impact simply by being on the floor. I think he should be given the leeway to suck, at least a little bit. I also think Carter's recollection is of a much younger (and perhaps less mature) player than the guy we know today. My perception of Bradley, watching him on a game-by-game basis, is that he really does play hard and try hard; sometimes he just doesn't play well. He certainly played hard (and well) on Sunday when I saw him in person.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:47 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Dude, I honestly don't care what Nellie says to justify when he plays Bradley. I really don't. Nellie has said enough in the past to justify using small ball or putting more offensive players in the lineup that his explenations for not playing Bradley just don't ring true to me.

Sure, Bradley's been benched because of effort in the past from time to time. I have no problem with someone saying that. BUT, Bradley's inconsistencies aren't any worse than a player like Mike Fin over the past year and a half. His inconsistencies are much less than players such as AW or NVE. Bradley takes the shaft mostly because of Nellie's love affair with having so many scorers on the court at one time and with going small.

Sure, it's a combination of both. However, I do not think that Bradley's supposed lack of effort or inconsistencies are nearly enough to justify not giving the guy consistent minutes.

And Mavdog, the majority of the time when Bradley's not contributing rebounds, he is still contributing defensively by slowing down the lay-up line. Even when he's not putting much up in the box score, he usually does change the game just by being 7'6 and altering shots on the defensive side. Sometimes, that's all the Mavs need to slow down a team enough defensively so that they can survive.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:47 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

How can you stick a guy out there not giving it his all when stevie,dirk, finley, others are busting it out there? That might work a little bit, but high-achievers can stand just about anything but lazy folks around them causing their downfall.

Shawn probably doesn't have the fire to compete at a high level all of the time. There is no way that he wouldn't be in there if he was busting it, who in their right mind wouldn't have him in there. He hits a good percentage of his set shots, shoots fts and doesn't really do stupid things. But lack of effort is unexcusable, at least for the long term.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

I don't believe we've seen Shawn give less effort than the average Maverick player any time remotely recently.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

Small ball last year was our best ball. And nellie is too good of a coach to either do things for spite or if he didn't think it would help him win. Nellie does believe in having 5 people on the court who can score if possible. But najera, griffin, raja, howard, bradley, fortson being in the games all point to nellie putting what he thinks is the best lineup he has out there.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #36
dude1394
Guru

I don't believe that you see as well as the coaching staff however.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Small ball was not the Mavs best ball. That is simply not true. The Mavs were much more effective last year whenever they had Najera or Bradley on the court as opposed to NVE.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:57 PM   #38
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think Shawn might not have always played hard earlier in his career, but he seems to do so most of the time now IMO. Over the 82 game schedule all players struggle to play hard every night. But I see Bradley have a great stretch of games and then, pow, without even playing badly or without effort Nellie puts Shawn in the doghouse and refuse to play him except in garbage minutes. Bradley will also be playing great and after a good game by Shawn, Nellie will constantly be talking about how bad and inconsistent Shawn is. I really think that Nellie holds a grudge against Shawn for making Nellie look foolish for calling him the cornerstone of the Mavs when they acquired Bradley. Shawn is a very valuble roleplayers, but he's not a cornerstone type player.

I also think that Nellie putting Shawn in the game for 1 minute is not enough time for Shawn to get warmed up. At 7'6" it takes a little bit longer than for most players to go from sitting on the bench to playing at full speed. Especially with Nellie's substitution patterns, where you might play 30 minutes one night and then play less than 5 minutes for the next 5.

Shawn needs consitent minutes. If he's having an off night then play him less. But at least give him a few minutes to prove whether he is on that night or not. No player in the NBA can have as big an impact defensively as the Mantis when he's own. For a team that constantly struggles in giving the other team layup drills, I don't think we can afford to just blindly ignore Bradley.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Small ball was not the Mavs best ball. That is simply not true. The Mavs were much more effective last year whenever they had Najera or Bradley on the court as opposed to NVE.

Scoreboard.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Nellie wanted Walker to shoot more threes early in the season, but all indications point to him asking AW to tone down his shots per game and to become more of a passer. Nellie can most certainly be wrong even with issues that are painfully obvious.