Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice
Default Dirk's interview (German press)

Well, since the off-season is pretty boring, here is an interview with Dirk, which appeared in Germany. WEB translation of NBA related questions ONLY!!!! (corrected for obvious mistakes). German here if somebody wants to translate entire interview.

----------------------
NOWITZKI INTERVIEW

SPIEGEL ONLINE: During Olympia, it was to be observed that the basketball autocracy of the USA finally passed. Are you surprised?

Nowitzki: Actually not. Already during the preparation tournament in Cologne, one saw that US crew will have their problems. They were trashed by Italians. They also almost lost against us. I think, they are still luky to get away with the bronze medal at the end. But for gold, it was not enough with that crew. That shows that the Americans must bring their top people, if they want to become olympia winners - the remainder of the world got better.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: One sees that already in the NBA. There is meanwhile a fifth of the players, which don't hold US passport, in the all star game, six foreigners participated this year. What is the reason for that?

Nowitzki: The European players profit from their comprehensive training: Most can score both from short distance and from the outside. There is a trend in the NBA that such players with allround package are very in demand: That is because of the fact that the game in the NBA becomes faster and the rules changed. Today, zone defense is also permitted, it is important that one can make the outside shot. In addition, formely, it depended much more on the physical game, the refs let go through pretty much. Nowadays, fouls are given more quickly, which also comes along my way of game: Otherwise, a heavy opponent could simply make me flat.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Are there any further Gertman players, who you would think are capable to make it into the NBA?

Nowitzki: For the current national players, that becomes difficult. Most are already 23, 24 years old, and in this age, it is nearly too late.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The past NBA season ended for you disappointing: You were hurt, and Dallas exit in the first Play off round. Which goals do you have for the season beginning in November?

Nowitzki: The past year was a lost year. We had gotten Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker, were high expectations. But we never got it on the same page as the team. I hope that we find a better rhythm this year with the new acquisitions . I want to go into the semi-final in any case, perhaps even further.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why, do you believe, are stronger the Mavericks than in the past play time?

Nowitzki: We finally got a good center with Erick Dampier - that we missed in the past five, six years. He can clear up under the basket, block shots and get rebounds. In addition, he can provide throu it down in offense. Erick played a superseason last year and he is really a top man. In the process, we unfortunately lost an important player with Steve Nash, but I believe, we can compensate that.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: If you had the choice between the NBA title with Dallas or olympic gold with Germany 2008, for what they would decide?

Nowitzki: In the doubt for the NBA title. There are many great players in America, who look back on a great career without titles. If somebody speaks about them, it always means: "he was a great player, but..." I would love to avoid this "but". With Olympia, the participating thrills me. To run into the stadium and to live with all athlets in a village - this is the dream I would like to fulfill in 2008. From the sports point og view, surely the NBA title is more important; emotionally, the olympic gold.
--------------------------

O boy, German is pretty difficult language [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Dirk's interview (German press)

Being a Mavs fan, so good to read that the NBA title means more to him than an Olympic Gold.

Also nice to read about his expectations of Damp and his confidence in the team to compensate Nash's loss.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nowitzki: We finally got a good center with Erick Dampier -
poor, poor Shawn Bradley
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dirk's interview (German press)

How low of dirk, dogging his felow countryman. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #5
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Dirk's interview (German press)

I realize that this may not be a popular view, especially on this site, but Bradley has never been, nor will he ever be a good center. Sure, he can alter a game, ON THE DEFENSIVE END, by his sheer height alone, but I don't think you can find anyone in the NBA who would consider him a legitimate "good" center. At best he will always be a novelty. Why do you think Nelson wanted him so badly? Because he knew he could use him in his matchup situations that he so loves. I don't even dislike Bradley, I just see him for what he truely is, a very tall man, who at times can get in the way and clog the lane. But left in for any amount of time, most teams find a way to expose him. Honestly, I don't even think it is for a lack of talent. I've seen him have games where he gets angry and actually takes over, albeit, very few and far between. My point is, he just doesn't have the disposition to be a professional athlete. He is genuinely a nice person, and unfortunately, in the world of professional athletics, you have to at least have an alter ego of the meanest "m f'er" around. He just doesn't have the ability to turn that on. And that is why he will always be a gimmick in the NBA, but a great human being.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I'll get my german friend to translate the rest of this, if anyone wants
Old 09-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Maniac
I realize that this may not be a popular view, especially on this site, but Bradley has never been, nor will he ever be a good center. Sure, he can alter a game, ON THE DEFENSIVE END, by his sheer height alone, but I don't think you can find anyone in the NBA who would consider him a legitimate "good" center. At best he will always be a novelty. Why do you think Nelson wanted him so badly? Because he knew he could use him in his matchup situations that he so loves. I don't even dislike Bradley, I just see him for what he truely is, a very tall man, who at times can get in the way and clog the lane. But left in for any amount of time, most teams find a way to expose him. Honestly, I don't even think it is for a lack of talent. I've seen him have games where he gets angry and actually takes over, albeit, very few and far between. My point is, he just doesn't have the disposition to be a professional athlete. He is genuinely a nice person, and unfortunately, in the world of professional athletics, you have to at least have an alter ego of the meanest "m f'er" around. He just doesn't have the ability to turn that on. And that is why he will always be a gimmick in the NBA, but a great human being.
Apparently you don't pay close attention to other coaches when they talk about how much of a difference maker Bradley was in many of the games in the past..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote