Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Fire Donnie Nelson?
Yes 52 47.71%
No 57 52.29%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #41
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

the only significant deal he has made turned out to be a huge bust.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it coming guys. FireDonnie.com anyone?
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #43
GMFFDHT

GMFFDHT is on a distinguished road

No.
GMFFDHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #44
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice 1st and 2nd post! Way to bring it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #45
BBJONES

BBJONES is a jewel in the roughBBJONES is a jewel in the roughBBJONES is a jewel in the roughBBJONES is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007
SO Fire Donnie right?

I was being sarcastic about Fazekas. That guy is slow and he is weaksauce!

Why are you blaming every move that didn't work on AVERY?

No. Don't fire Donnie. He is not the problem.

You were being sarcastic about Fazekas? Okay, I admit that I was being sarcastic about Avery wanting to move Damp to point.

As for Fazekas, Yeah the water looks dirty........but I'd still throw it on the fire. The results will be there.

I blame Avery because he is clueless........and has proven he is clueless.
BBJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #46
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJONES
No. Don't fire Donnie. He is not the problem.

You were being sarcastic about Fazekas? Okay, I admit that I was being sarcastic about Avery wanting to move Damp to point.

As for Fazekas, Yeah the water looks dirty........but I'd still throw it on the fire. The results will be there.

I blame Avery because he is clueless........and has proven he is clueless.
Avery definitely is clueless, but I'm not sure Donnie's best days aren't behind him. I mean, really, the Mavericks never seem to be able to get much done in the offseason, especially now when we desperately need it. Maybe it's not his fault, maybe it is. I don't know. But either way, I'm honestly thinking the Mavericks might be better off with someone else just to bring in some new blood and fresh perspective.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #47
SMC0007
Guru

Right, Either way has Donnie really done enough hands down for us not at least want a change? I don't get the defense of that guy. Especially one that turned to everything being Averys fault..
Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #48
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker
the only significant deal he has made turned out to be a huge bust.
what move?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #49
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Sign on the door to the Front Office of the Dallas Mavericks

Last edited by purplefrog; 08-12-2008 at 03:57 PM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #50
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

IDK~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #51
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

just to add a little more, poke at the bear:

just saw this old/but still somewhat recent interview from Kidd that was posted on the db.com forums:

Dime: With the ring getting further and further away, did you feel lost in New Jersey?
JK: It's hard. The business of basketball gets in the way. Some of it is luck, you know? You look at the trades this year - Phoenix is the best team in the West and they traded for Shaq. The core of that Nets group had been together for a while but sometimes things need to change. I think you always work on your game in the summer to get better. You just hope the front office works as hard as you do. But you're just an employee; you have other people deciding your fate.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 08:20 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #52
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
just to add a little more, poke at the bear:

just saw this old/but still somewhat recent interview from Kidd that was posted on the db.com forums:

Dime: With the ring getting further and further away, did you feel lost in New Jersey?
JK: It's hard. The business of basketball gets in the way. Some of it is luck, you know? You look at the trades this year - Phoenix is the best team in the West and they traded for Shaq. The core of that Nets group had been together for a while but sometimes things need to change. I think you always work on your game in the summer to get better. You just hope the front office works as hard as you do. But you're just an employee; you have other people deciding your fate.

Good find...I just wonder what he thinks about the move so far this season. Even Carlisle was talking up the management's ability to improve the team when he got here and I think he has to be a little dissapointed as well.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #53
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to...

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 08-13-2008 at 08:27 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #54
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Good find...I just wonder what he thinks about the move so far this season. Even Carlisle was talking up the management's ability to improve the team when he got here and I think he has to be a little dissapointed as well.
Because Diop = RINGS, yo!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #55
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Donnie is over there trying to get Wang Zhizhi back?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #56
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Vote is pretty damn close. I no longer think it is possible for us to make a splash now, so I'm gonna lead towards getting rid of the guy. When you suffer a second straight 1st round flameout, you damn well better make some moves.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #57
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the days when the Mavs' front office actually worked over the summer? Are the Mavs facing a future with a part-time FO?

Still looking for that starting SG.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #58
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
What happened to the days when the Mavs' front office actually worked over the summer? Are the Mavs facing a future with a part-time FO?

Future?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #59
purplefrog
Platinum Member

^ Oh, I don't know. It's possible that Donnie is on the phone tyring to trade JHo or Stack in between Beijing practices.

On another note, I sure hope he's helping Yao improve his game, that would be doggone sweet.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 AM   #60
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Donnie is guilty of letting some of the organization's "bigger" personalities(i.e. Dirk,Mark,Avery) influence the decision making process. Most egregiously as regards Avery. Does anyone really believe that Donny thought Eddie Jones, Trenton Hassell and Juvan Howard were what this team really needed? It reeks of Avery's adhering to a "Spurs model" and as an overcompensation to the Miami series "loss". The Spurs got wise and signed a young vet, Udoka, last summer. I was hoping for Udoka, DeShawn Stevenson or Maurice Evans. All young vets who play tough D and can hit an open 3. Instead Eddie Jones. Which if I'm not mistaken cost us our vet exception this year. Could've been Matt Barnes... Avery dislikes Diop so we ship him out and then have to use our full midlevel 6mos. later! Asinine. Cost us a shot at C.J. Miles and others. Not to mention the whole team caving to Devean Fucking George. Dude should've gotten a beat down in the locker room and a seat on the bench. Instead he gets to start!(due to injuries and the trade).Cost us Kvh trade chip.
A good NBA gm must see moves and how they will impact the team and cap flex. 2 or 3 steps down the line. So we have Donnie saying in the press that the mavs will be players in the draft this year. Several teams buy their way in but not the mavs. And then Donnie and Cuban in the press saying the price is too high. I would have happily welcomed Darrell Arthur, Donte Green(i live in Syr. and he's a dog but a natural shooter)or CDR or Chalmers or Koufas. But more importantly buying a pick (or two)would instantly get back some of that precious flexibility we lost in the Kidd trade. Is anyone surprised that teams want picks and rookies. No secret that kings coveted D.Green. Morey and the Rockets snagged him. Maybe Green, Bass, Stack and a 2nd and cash gets us Artest. I'm sick of managements half- assed approach. It leads me to believe we aren't really playing for a title but looking to re-tool at the deadline with a Kidd trade. Which is sad. Artest possessed the qualities we needed:shut down D, a mean streak, post up ability and the ability to attack the basket. And cheap!! In a contract year with a chip on his shoulder. Artest is the nba player who most resembles an nfl player(Ray Lewis). He's intense. You don't want to face that dude. He's physical.
If you truly believe you're a move or 2 away from contending you spend the freaking 6mil for TWO 1st rounders, grab Artest, Diop and sign and trade for J. Childress or Mo Evans.
It's obvious Cuban has closed the wallet. So since this is my 1st post and i can't start a new thread i guess my question is who will we be looking to trade with at the deadline(Blazers?). Now that's a good GM-Pritchard. Fleeced Bird to get Bayless. I look forward to him fleecing us. p.s. I'm not a hater... I DO like our team with the exception of JHo. I would've liked him better next to Artest to whom he would've deferred. Sorry to be so long-winded!!!
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #61
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

He won't get fired because he is doing what exactly Cuban want and that is keep expiring contracts and do a salary dump.

And now I don't even think its for the purpose of a go at Lebron as much as its just saving money.

Cubes might have a second team on his hands. He'll need all the money he can get.

Hicks does the same thing with the Rangers.

d
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #62
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Fire the owner
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #63
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
Fire the owner
you'll be crying for months the day MC isnt the mavs owner anymore.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #64
SMC0007
Guru

Not really. IT all would Depend on who comes in to buy.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #65
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Cuban's all over the Cubs now. He's letting the players GM.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #66
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
Cuban's all over the Cubs now. He's letting the players GM.
So, is Dirk trying to get Kaman here or what?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-14-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #67
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Dangirwin is probably right--We're in salary dump mode. So we may not even get much if anything in return for Kidd. Artest with his expiring would've given us a chance to contend one more time with Dirk w/out a major overhaul and the ability to still dump salary if necessary (if it didn't work out). Lebron or Kobe is such a long shot. Bosh doesn't fit. Most of these guys will re-sign with their own teams. Like Avery, Donnie has lost the ability to communicate and should have been fired yesterday. He's now reduced to simply being a "yes" man. As evidenced by an inability to buy picks or deal.Other than Carlisle hiring it's been a sad offseason.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #68
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b
Dangirwin is probably right--We're in salary dump mode. So we may not even get much if anything in return for Kidd. Artest with his expiring would've given us a chance to contend one more time with Dirk w/out a major overhaul and the ability to still dump salary if necessary (if it didn't work out). Lebron or Kobe is such a long shot. Bosh doesn't fit. Most of these guys will re-sign with their own teams. Like Avery, Donnie has lost the ability to communicate and should have been fired yesterday. He's now reduced to simply being a "yes" man. As evidenced by an inability to buy picks or deal.Other than Carlisle hiring it's been a sad offseason.

I agree with most of this except Bosh not fitting, that kind of athleticism and talent. He is from here also so it may be even more of a motivating factor.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #69
mac222b
Diamond Member

I love Bosh. I just meant he would have to play at center next to Dirk w/ Diop as the backup. He's better at PF. Damp comes off that year too(3rd year is our option), right? So we could have lots of room in 2010 with stack, damp, kidd, jjb and wright off the books. And an option on Jho(if he's still around). Minus $40-50 million potentially... It's just a long way off. Dirk is in his prime right now. I'm all for clearing cap room but Bosh, Wade, James etc. could sign max extensions and never see the open market. I hope management has a plan. A good one, that is.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #70
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I figured this article goes along with the Poll question, if this information is correct:

D-Lord On D-George
Underwhelming - But Is Devil In Details?
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

The Mavs re-signed Devean George on Wednesday for $4 million over two years. I’ve got an initial reaction, published on DB.com earlier today, and it is posted as such below. But now I’ve got a “Whoa,-Wait-A-Minute!’’ second reaction. And this reaction on my part is a nervous reaction, an allergic reaction, a violent reaction:

If I am reading the details of this deal, somebody’s gone braindead on the Devean deal.

SECOND REACTION: Marc Stein's report has details (per George's agent) on the re-signing.
“George and the Dallas Mavericks have reached an agreement on a new two-year contract worth about $4 million, according to his representative. Agent Mark Bartelstein told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the deal soon will be made official and includes a player option for George to return to free agency after the coming season.’’

Um, what? A player option? Really? You do know what that means, don’t you?
That deal, as structured, cannot be a two-year deal with an opt-out (such a deal is not allowed) but instead is must actually be a ONE-year deal with an option. So at this point, the other year is “to be determined’’ and such determination is totally under the control of George.
Why does that matter? Because, in that format, George again has the ability to refuse any trade! It's merely a one-year deal with Bird Rights at the end, just like last year. Until George has exercised that option for a second year (which he could wait to do as late as the end of June 2009), he can turn down any trade for any reason whatsoever.

Dallas got completely turned upside by being in that situation last season with George. Now they've created the same situation again. Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #71
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's correct. That no trade provision had to do with George's Early Bird status, and he now has full Bird rights.

I think Fish is wrong on that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #72
BGMaverick9
Guru

If he is right though, that sucks big time. But I agree with you that he's probably mistaken. Stein would've mentioned that in the breakdown of it if it was legit.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #73
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Barring a major trade....

Fire Donnie.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #74
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Accepting that Stein's info is correct ... and that George is signing a one-year plus player option deal ...

The ramifications are
1. yes he has full Bird rights at year's end
2. on a one-year contract with ANY kind of Bird rights at the end, you can only be traded with your permission, and you have to waive those rights (ie reset your Bird clock) in order to do so

So yes there are minor variations in the details, nevertheless for all practical purposes George is being given the IDENTICAL VETO POWER that he had last spring. Identical. The same rule, in fact.

I can go find chapter and verse in the CBA if I have to, but I don't want to waste the time and don't really need to. Give this a few days to fester and (provided the contractual details are being reported accurately) it will be parroted everywhere.

The upshot is: Devean George is getting a new deal - with veto power over trades from now until July 1. And I'm wondering why.

PS - ESPN/Stein, please credit David Lord and db.com when you make this into a story, okay? Thanks.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I wasn't aware that the rule applied to all Bird rights. Is the veto power provided because the team receiving the player could waive him, thus nullifying his Bird rights?

BTW, I wasn't aware that you wrote this piece of the article. When I responded to it, both here and db.com, Fish was still listed as the by line. Had I known you had written it, I would have assumed you were correct and asked why, instead of doubting the correctness of it.

Edit: Oh wow. So based on the Chapter and Verse of the rules you posted at DB.com, being traded during a one year contract nullifies the regular Bird rights as well. Wow. This is stupid, stupid, stupid, assuming the contract details are correct.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 08-20-2008 at 09:17 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #76
BGMaverick9
Guru

Why the heck would they make the deal that way and put themselves in the same spot?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #77
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Jthig ...Thanks for the confidence.

I have no idea what the rationale is for the rule. But in general, I'm sure it has something to do with closing a loophole in the use of the Bird rights exception. In earlier CBAs you couldn't trade a player in the last year of ANY deal ending in Bird rights, and this may be a watered down version of that with the same intent - but I don't know the thinking that led to the original rule either.

BG ..."Why the heck would they make the deal that way and put themselves in the same spot?"......It makes no sense to me either. Really bizarre, especially if you don't see him as a guy they need so badly they better bow down to. And I don't.

Last edited by DLord; 08-20-2008 at 09:34 PM.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #78
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to think Cuban just doesn't give a shit about this team anymore, he is enamored with the Cubs. The sad thing is the mlb owners will never let him in their club.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #79
BGMaverick9
Guru

I guess we have to view the MBT as look to 2010 as the "plan"...something has to get done by then because a lot of these guys will be gone.

They'll either make a run at LeBron or Cuban will be gone by then. The terms of the deal and looking at what is going on makes you have to wonder what exactly is going on.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-20-2008 at 09:59 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #80
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Mark Cuban provides for the Mavs at least. He provides a jet for them, and other things. If he just did his job as owner, and not do everyone else's job, things would be fine.

However, having a GM like Donnie Nelson doesn't exactly stop Mark Cuban from having more power. Donnie is a terrible GM that gives Cuban more room to do things he should not. Donnie should have been sacked when Don left, and a GM who will do his job should have been introduced.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote