Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #121
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I thought McGee was very effective at times. Sure, he's prone to silly mistakes and occasionally out of position. To my eyes to the positives were mostly outweighing the negatives.

What is missed most from having McGee out there, aside from rim protection,
Was the nice p'n'r game he was developing with CP and the guards. Think our offense is really missing this wrinkle.

Only thing I can think is his minutes are tied to devins health somewhat?
Anyone else want to weigh in?

At some point these types of guys- Powell, McGee, Meiji, Anderson, Jenkins, Evans need to be allowed to work through mistakes and develop a rhythm. Being yanked in and out of the rotation isn't good for anyone's confidence and can cause players to press. Awful lot of tinkering going on still for this late in the season. I know some of this is situational and due to injuries. But I think maybe RC should've kept Powell and or McGee in the rotation and let them work thru the mistakes and slumps.
Rick thinks all players should be ready at all times and that may work for veterans but not so much for inexperienced players like Powell, Anderson, Jenkins and Mejri. I think that applies to McGee too.
There are simply too many Centers on this team and we just added another....an undersized one who can't play a lick of D but will get most of the backup PT.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-22-2016 at 02:08 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #122
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: David Lee on his role in Dallas: "It's going to be coming off the bench. That much I do know. I haven't asked for any promises on anything but being given an opportunity, and the rest is going to be determined by how I play. I look forward to being able to help us on the glass and offensively and defensively fitting in with a team that's already done pretty well this season. Really, I don't believe much in them promising me a number on minutes. This is something that I'm coming in here and expect to earn playing time by playing well and helping the team get wins." Lee said coach Rick Carlisle told him he would be used primarily as a backup center, much like Amar'e Stoudemire after he joined the Mavs midseason last year.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #123
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@espn_macmahon: David Lee on his role in Dallas: "It's going to be coming off the bench. That much I do know. I haven't asked for any promises on anything but being given an opportunity, and the rest is going to be determined by how I play. I look forward to being able to help us on the glass and offensively and defensively fitting in with a team that's already done pretty well this season. Really, I don't believe much in them promising me a number on minutes. This is something that I'm coming in here and expect to earn playing time by playing well and helping the team get wins." Lee said coach Rick Carlisle told him he would be used primarily as a backup center, much like Amar'e Stoudemire after he joined the Mavs midseason last year.
And I thought there was no possible way our interior defense could get any worse.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #124
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I don't get it. Why does Rick see him as a 5, rather than a 4? Why does he like to play 4 small guys normally and only 1 big?

There are plenty of bigs now. I'd like to see guys play these positions:

1: Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, J.J. Barea, Devin Harris
2. Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, J.J. Barea, Justin Anderson
3. Chandler Parsons, Wesley Matthews, Jeremy Evans, Justin Anderson
4. Dirk Nowitzki, David Lee, Dwight Powell, Charlie Villanueva
5. Zaza Pachulia, Dwight Powell, Salah Mejri, JaVale McGee

David Lee is only the primary backup if he proves that he can fit in here. Otherwise he should see about as much playing time as John Jenkins did, and Jenkins did actually fit in. I don't understand why our coach refused to play him. In my mind he should have been the primary backup at the 2. We just have too many 1's on our team. Now we have too many 5's as well.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #125
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
And I thought there was no possible way our interior defense could get any worse.
there isn't. It's already the worst it can possibly be, but maybe just maybe Lee will help us.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #126
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

How many of the current 15 guys will make it into next season? Let's go with 7. Do you take the over or the under?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #127
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I don't get it. Why does Rick see him as a 5, rather than a 4? Why does he like to play 4 small guys normally and only 1 big?

There are plenty of bigs now. I'd like to see guys play these positions:

1: Deron Williams, Raymond Felton, J.J. Barea, Devin Harris
2. Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, J.J. Barea, Justin Anderson
3. Chandler Parsons, Wesley Matthews, Jeremy Evans, Justin Anderson
4. Dirk Nowitzki, David Lee, Dwight Powell, Charlie Villanueva
5. Zaza Pachulia, Dwight Powell, Salah Mejri, JaVale McGee

David Lee is only the primary backup if he proves that he can fit in here. Otherwise he should see about as much playing time as John Jenkins did, and Jenkins did actually fit in. I don't understand why our coach refused to play him. In my mind he should have been the primary backup at the 2. We just have too many 1's on our team. Now we have too many 5's as well.
Rick ALWAYS wants 4 long-range shooters on the floor. The only way he gets that is by playing as many PGs as he has on the roster along with some wing guys who can shoot 3s.
That leaves room for one big to clean up the glass and play defense in the paint and one sub. Lee can't shoot 3s so the only place to play him is at the 5 even though it will absolutely kill us defensively.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #128
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
there isn't. It's already the worst it can possibly be, but maybe just maybe Lee will help us.
Only if you're saying our offense is our best defense.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #129
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
How many of the current 15 guys will make it into next season? Let's go with 7. Do you take the over or the under?
My guess is 10:

Dirk (obvious)
Pachulia (Dirk's new buddy)
Parsons (no better choice)
Matthews (stuck with him)
Harris (under contract)
Barea (under contract)
DWill (hometown will want to stay and no better options)
Powell (they would have traded him at TDL)
Anderson (bright future and potential trade chip)
Mejri (good 3rd option probably at a bargain price)

Gone:

Felton (too pricey and Barea/Harris under contract)
Charlie (will go elsewhere)
Evans (not a good fit and will be cut or traded)
Lee (they'll find out he isn't a good fit)
McGee (Mejri has proven he can provide similar skills and production and seems more coachable)

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-22-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #130
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gone:

Felton (too pricey and Barea/Harris under contract)
Charlie (will go elsewhere)
Evans (not a good fit and will be cut or traded)
Lee (they'll find out he isn't a good fit)
McGee (Mejri has proven he can provide similar skills and production and seems more coachable)
I laughed at that last part about Mejri being more coachable than McGee. That really goes without being said. Almost every NBA player is more coachable than him. He relies solely on his athleticism when being out on the floor.

Also I wonder why the Mavs held onto Evans over John Jenkins. Is it because Jenkins was on a 1 year Veteran's minimum contract? I am also surprised that they kept Charlie Villanueva over him. I figure it's because he has been with the team longer and is due more money this season. Make him earn it! Anyway, I don't feel like any of those are huge losses. I'll miss Felton's production from this season, but I'm sure that we'll welcome some new player into Dallas.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #131
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

So irratating we won't see Lee at 4. This is the first year since Carlisle has been in Dallas where I really question his lineups and personnel.

We miss Mcgee athleticism. He's good for 12min per game. PNR is his bread and butter. Anderson and Mejri deserve some minutes too. These guys you can't expect ricks BS always be ready slogan. They're young and need the confidence building by actually playing.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #132
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also I wonder why the Mavs held onto Evans over John Jenkins.
Friend texted me a few days ago saying that he read Evans and Lee had same agent. So i guess that's probably a factor.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #133
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk, Parsons, Wes, Dwill, JJ, Devin, Powell, Anderson I feel are almost locks for various reasons- contract, asset, core, etc. So I'll take the over on that one.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 AM   #134
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Dirk, Parsons, Wes, Dwill, JJ, Devin, Powell, Anderson I feel are almost locks for various reasons- contract, asset, core, etc. So I'll take the over on that one.
Not that I think it'll happen but the only silver lining I see in that that ludicrous JJB contract is he can be stretch waived as its a four yr deal.

And if one more person says "but the cap explosion!" I'm gonna lose my shit. That extra 7mil(my memory numbers may be off?) or so given to Wes and JJB that we'll be lacking this summer is going to be huge.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #135
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not that I think it'll happen but the only silver lining I see in that that ludicrous JJB contract is he can be stretch waived as its a four yr deal.

And if one more person says "but the cap explosion!" I'm gonna lose my shit. That extra 7mil(my memory numbers may be off?) or so given to Wes and JJB that we'll be lacking this summer is going to be huge.
Yeah I also doubt they stretch JJ. And out of the guys I listed only Dwill is less than a "lock" due to him most likely wanting more than his player option. I do think he wants to stay and looking at the pg market only Conley, Clarkson, and Jennings are guys that are near or above his level(not going to count rondo obviously). Clarkson is restricted and plays for LA so idk what to make of him. Conley will require significantly more money and I'd much rather have Dwill than Jennings. So I think the two sides stay together personally. As for the Centers I'm not confident any of them return. No idea what Zaza's market will be but he fits IMO what a lot of teams would like to have and I think we pursue DH12. McGee can't crack rotation now, so I'm not confident he returns. Salah barely plays as well and we just took a flyer on David Lee at the 5 not the 4 so clearly RC isn't enamored with him(especially in conjunction with Powell playing ahead of him some nights). IMO if Salah or McGee is here next year it would mean we failed in free agency(again).

--Edit--
Yeah that extra money is gonna prevent us from something I'm sure, whether it means renouncing someone to get a player or not having enough to get quality bench players which we sorely need.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-23-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #136
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Not having extra cap space is what surprised me when Mavs chose not to trade Felton, and keep both JJ and Harris. I thought that if Felton stays, at least one of them goes.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #137
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

McGee should be playing a lot more IMO. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but he can do things no other big man on the roster can come close to. What's the problem Rick? It's not like our defense is going to get any worse. As much as I hate to say it, any time Dirk us on the floor, we're going to be at a disadvantage defensively. I'd rather take my chances with McGee at this point.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #138
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
McGee should be playing a lot more IMO. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but he can do things no other big man on the roster can come close to. What's the problem Rick? It's not like our defense is going to get any worse. As much as I hate to say it, any time Dirk us on the floor, we're going to be at a disadvantage defensively. I'd rather take my chances with McGee at this point.
Rick is doing a lot of weird things with our bigs. He didn't even give Mejri a look until about 25 games into the season when McGee was out most of that time and Zaza was starving for some relief.
McGee has looked decent nearly every time he's played but then several games of DNP for no apparent reason.

Now they sign a PF who can't play D at all but will play Center along side of Dirk who doesn't play much D either.

Powell shows promise and is only 24 but Rick has no interest at all in developing youth.

I'm completely convinced that Rick has no interest coaching guys who have not reached the peak in their career.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #139
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any "advanced stats" they like to share regarding McGee and his effect on various lineup configurations? Not my strong suit

Just a cursory glance shows a per of 21.09
Good stats per 36. Prorated to something like 17-13-2.5

Last edited by mac222b; 02-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #140
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Answer: Dirk Nowitzki and David Lee at the 4 and 5 on defense

Question: How do you convince a 21st century NBA team to stop shooting three-pointers because they get a shot from inside 3 feet from the basket whenever they want one.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #141
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
Answer: Dirk Nowitzki and David Lee at the 4 and 5 on defense

Question: How do you convince a 21st century NBA team to stop shooting three-pointers because they get a shot from inside 3 feet from the basket whenever they want one.
Take a look:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-shot-blockers

It all makes sense now.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #142
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Take a look:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-shot-blockers

It all makes sense now.
Might as well say defense isn't in Mavs' DNA.
17th in points allowed should indicate a change of philosophy is needed.
Keep this up and a new change of DNA will be needed.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #143
Javale McGeeber

Javale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to all

Quote:
Anyone have any "advanced stats" they like to share regarding McGee and his effect on various lineup configurations?
Yes. With 99.3%per48, I destroy any lineup configurations.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #144
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Might as well say defense isn't in Mavs' DNA.
17th in points allowed should indicate a change of philosophy is needed.
Keep this up and a new change of DNA will be needed.
DNA is not something that can be taught -- it's about ability, not philosophy.

You can't make a gourmet meal with shit ingredients.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #145
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:

He just selected another "ingredient" with the no defense gene. It fits his stated philosophy.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #146
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Think you miss the point....no two coaches or two GMs have the same DNA.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #147
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
He just selected another "ingredient" with the no defense gene. It fits his stated philosophy.
Rick Carlisle does not sign players -- that's Donnie and Cuban's job.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #148
Underdog

Quote:
Think you miss the point....no two coaches or two GMs have the same DNA.
I think you missed the point -- Rick can't make players who don't play good interior defense play good interior defense... If he had 2011 Tyson Chandler the strategy would be 100% different.

It's not a philosophical problem, it's personnel problem.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #149
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think you missed the point -- Rick can't make players who don't play good interior defense to play good interior defense... If he had 2011 Tyson Chandler the strategy would be 100% different.

It's not a philosophical problem, it's personnel problem.
Translated....Rick WON'T play players who play decent defense over players who play decent offense.
He has two decent shot blockers on the team that he refuses to play and even suit up most of the time.
And I'm sure he has a huge sayso in who the Mavs claim off waivers, draft, trade for and sign in FA.

I'm sorry but that is more philosophy than DNA. You want to argue we aren't good enough to compete then I totally agree we don't have the personnel but I'm not buying that we have shot blockers on this team that deserve frequent DNPs.
Saying that Barea and Felton need to hold their own on D and then not making them accountable when they don't is pretty damn lame.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #150
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Rick Carlisle does not sign players -- that's Donnie and Cuban's job.
But Rick is not compelled to play Lee at Center...that is his call.
I get the signing and am ok with it but just don't understand why Rick is so enamored with playing him at Center while completely compromising our defense.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #151
Underdog

Quote:
Translated....Rick WON'T play players who play decent defense over players who play decent offense.
He has two decent shot blockers on the team that he refuses to play and even suit up most of the time.
And I'm sure he has a huge sayso in who the Mavs claim off waivers, draft, trade for and sign in FA.

I'm sorry but that is more philosophy than DNA. You want to argue we aren't good enough to compete then I totally agree we don't have the personnel but I'm not buying that we have shot blockers on this team that deserve frequent DNPs.
Man, I heard all this in 2010 with Roddy, but somehow Carlisle led this team to a championship that season... Everyone thinks he's not playing these guys (who have excellent production over small sample sizes) more often because he's a fool, but the reality is that these guys only have excellent production because Rick knows when/where to play them.

Plus, chemistry plays a big role in playtime... We have no idea what these guys are like in practice -- if our veterans can't trust the younger players, then they won't get any burn... For all we know it could be Dirk keeping McGee and Mejri on the sidelines... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Charlie V is still here and John Jenkins isn't.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #152
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Man, I heard all this in 2010 with Roddy, but somehow Carlisle led this team to a championship that season... Everyone thinks he's not playing these guys (who have excellent production over small sample sizes) more often because he's a fool, but the reality is that these guys only have excellent production because Rick knows when/where to play them.

Plus, chemistry plays a big role in playtime... We have no idea what these guys are like in practice -- if our veterans can't trust the younger players, then they won't get any burn... For all we know it could be Dirk keeping McGee and Mejri on the sidelines... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Charlie V is still here and John Jenkins isn't.
But this has been a pattern with Rick and I understand he is an offensive-oriented coach but at some point you have to stop the team from scoring or at least show some intimidation. Okafor looked like a superstar in the first half against Zaza but didn't do much at all in the paint when Mejri was in the game. Yeah Parsons gets most of the credit and did a hell of a job but the Sixers as a whole wasn't going to the basket when Mejri was in there and when they did they usually regretted it.

As far as I'm concerned making a basket and preventing a basket provides the same yield. I guess Rick just feels Barea's and Felton's offense is far superior to anything we can get out of McGee or Mejri defensively.

Kind of pitiful if that is the case don't you think?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #153
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Man, I heard all this in 2010 with Roddy, but somehow Carlisle led this team to a championship that season....
But what was our starting lineup in the POs that year and who were our 1st two centers coming off the bench?

Kidd/Stevenson/Marion/Dirk/Chandler
Centers off bench....Haywood/Mihinmi

Quite possibly the best defense this team has ever had and look at the result. You'd think Rick would have learned something from that but he continues to throw more offense at any issue we seem to have.

Defense wins championships and I think we proved it in 2011...not sure how, why and when Rick divorced himself from that concept.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #154
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Defense wins championships and I think we proved it in 2011...not sure how and when that concept left Rick.
Well to be fair that was 3 starting caliber type centers. And the team's talent allowed us to always have defense and offense on the floor. I still have an issue of RC's lineups though, I have all year really, but I think if we had Mahinmi here right now he would be getting 20+mins a game. I still think McGee paired with Parsons at the 4 is good offense and gives a shot blocker(his actual defense is suspect from what I've read though). I still dislike any lineup with CV3 + Dirk or Powell. And I also don't like that Simba can't crack mins at the 3 when all the small guards are healthy because we use jj/dh/felton and move Wes to the 3.

I guess to UD's point, with the exception of Crowder it's not like all the people we want to get mins are doing anything once they leave here. Although I still think Roddy would have been better off had he been more of a jamal crawford type instead of forcing him into more of a pg role. That would be hindsight though.

I guess tbh RC did same in 2011 that he's doing now. The talent was just better. Stevenson similar to wes could slide to the 3. Marion slide to the 4 like Parsons. The three biggest differences IMO are Dirk being 2011 Dirk, the bench, and JET, we use Felton as a 6th man instead of Jet and Dirk doing two man. Which is why I wish RC would make some small adjustments because without 2011 Dirk to take heavy post possessions it wouldn't matter if we had 2011 JET also, it wouldn't work- we saw something close with Monta but Dirk's days of being like 2011 are gone. The bench was obv better across the board at center and we aren't even talking about butler being hurt all PO's. Talent wise we aren't close yet the scheme/lineups rly haven't changed much at all.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #155
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Defense wins championships and I think we proved it in 2011...not sure how, why and when Rick divorced himself from that concept.
It's funny how people keep saying that, especially when they want to discredit Dirk's impact on that title run by saying he was carried by Tyson/Marion/Stevenson/Kidd (I know it's not your case), and fail to realize the Mavs were actually a middle of the pack team on defense during those playoffs while the offense - which obviously completely revolved around Dirk - was the best by a large margin...Actually, when compared to the regular season, in the playoffs the defense slipped while the offense had a big improvement.

Now I'm not saying the defense didn't play a part on their success, it obviously did, just not as much as some people make it out to be. The offense had a far bigger role and is what in fact carried them to the title if you ask me.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 02-24-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #156
Underdog

Quote:
But what was our starting lineup in the POs that year and who were our 1st two centers coming off the bench?

Kidd/Stevenson/Marion/Dirk/Chandler
Centers off bench....Haywood/Mihinmi

Quite possibly the best defense this team has ever had and look at the result. You'd think Rick would have learned something from that but he continues to throw more offense at any issue we seem to have.

I've been saying all along that we have the wrong players, not the wrong system/philosophy/coach -- you seem to be both supporting and missing my point at the same time.

It's almost as if you think Rick WANTS shitty defenders, like Zaza was his first choice this summer instead of one of the best rim protectors in the league.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-24-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #157
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I've been saying all along that we have the wrong players, not the wrong system/philosophy/coach -- you seem to be both supporting and missing my point at the same time.

It's almost as if you think Rick WANTS shitty defenders, like Zaza was his first choice this summer instead of one of the best rim protectors in the league.
This entire discussion started with the article posted where Rick said it isn't in our DNA to have shot blocking. Seems they should have been looking at adding a defensive player then instead of throwing more offense at the problem.
Then simply using the lame excuse that we are too small is sickening to me because that is how he wants to play. Playing Lee at center is proof enough of that.

That's almost as ridiculous as an NFL coach saying our backup quarterback is a more skilled and talented NFL player than our nose tackle so we're forced to play our backup quarterback at nose tackle because he is simply a better football player.

Sorry UD....I'm not buying that BS from Rick.

I'll give it tonight because Mejri had his two best games against the Thunder but I'm really getting sick of this small ball crap and the ridiculous excuses that try to justify it.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-24-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #158
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This entire discussion started with the article posted where Rick said it isn't in our DNA to have shot blocking. Seems they should have been looking at adding a defensive player then instead of throwing more offense at the problem.
Then simply using the lame excuse that we are too small is sickening to me because that is how he wants to play. Playing Lee at center is proof enough of that.

That's almost as ridiculous as an NFL coach saying our backup quarterback is a more skilled and talented NFL player than our nose tackle so we're forced to play our backup quarterback at nose tackle because he is simply a better football player.

Sorry UD....I'm not buying that BS from Rick.

I'll give it tonight because Mejri had his two best games against the Thunder but I'm really getting sick of this small ball crap and the ridiculous excuses that try to justify it.
Is there a direct quote where Rick says it isn't in the team's DNA because that article doesn't provide it. The quote it provides is this...

"It's a different set of circumstances," Carlisle said of playing defense without a rim protector on the floor. "You got to play position (defense). You got to beat people places. A lot of things like that. It's certainly doable, but you got to be on the persistent end of things. You can't hang around. You got to be an initiator, not a reactor."

Nowhere in that quote does he say it isn't in their DNA. Sefko is generally decent, but I think he conjured up that tagline based on the quote.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #159
Underdog

Quote:
Seems they should have been looking at adding a defensive player then instead of throwing more offense at the problem.
Who says we weren't? I didn't see any rim protecting centers get moved at the trade deadline, did you? Maybe that's because none were available...

Also, Dallas hasn't exactly been crushing it on the offensive end either, so I don't know how you can argue against more offense if there aren't any quality defenders available.

Also-also, unlike Stoudemire last year, Lee hasn't been promised any minutes -- if he doesn't perform better than McGee or Mejri, then he won't be playing much... And if he does perform better, then this debate is moot.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-24-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #160
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Who says we weren't? I didn't see any rim protecting centers get moved at the trade deadline, did you? Maybe that's because none were available...

Also, Dallas hasn't exactly been crushing it on the offensive end either, so I don't know how you can argue against more offense if there aren't any quality defenders available.

Also-also, unlike Stoudemire last year, Lee hasn't been promised any minutes -- if he doesn't perform better than McGee or Mejri, then he won't be playing much... And if he does perform better, then this debate is moot.
Ok...you all win....I can see I'm in the minority here.
Can't wait to meet Cavs in the championship with our new defensive weapon