Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What happens with Noel?
Gets a contract from us 15 78.95%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with us next season 2 10.53%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with someone else next season 1 5.26%
Gets a contract Mavs don't match 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #441
walter

walter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Hes going to want a max. Would much rather max Noel (if forced, prefer 17-20m) than 30 year old DJ, who has shown he's not willing to work on his game, or really, we know what his game is at this point.

Also fuck DeAndre Jordan. Just in general.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #442
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I NEVER want to see DeAndre on this team. A man who can't keep his word has no place here.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #443
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I NEVER want to see DeAndre on this team. A man who can't keep his word has no place here.
This.

Plus his teammates don't really seem to like being around him
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #444
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine a single person that would want DJ here...especially anyone in the FO

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #445
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Coop may be full of crap but when asked if he thought Noel would take QO he said

"Nope. It will be either 4 with player option on 5th, or 3 w/team option on 4th. All likelihood he's with Mavs for four years"
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #446
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he's right.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #447
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I hope he's right.
I think these are the two options offered by the Mavs and it is up to Noel, which one he wants to take. Team option offering more money per year and player option offering less. This would make sense.

Last edited by Thebo; 08-08-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #448
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Coop may be full of crap but when asked if he thought Noel would take QO he said

"Nope. It will be either 4 with player option on 5th, or 3 w/team option on 4th. All likelihood he's with Mavs for four years"
I think Coop is just making an educated guess -- I doubt he has any inside information... Although it's a logical conclusion.

It would be nice if the years/options are the sticking point, rather than the raw dollar amount. It would mean we're closer to a deal than reported.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #449
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So I was listening to the Locked on Mavs podcast, and they mentioned that Harrison Barnes was upset with an offseason grade that some writer gave us... He seemed to think we should have scored higher because of all the cap space we'll have next summer, which is a pretty clear indication that we're going to be chasing a big fish (and probably explains why we're trying to keep Noel's payday manageable).

On the podcast, they speculated that we could be chasing Boogie to PAIR with Nerlens. I'd say the possibility of a DSJ/Wes/Barnes/Cousins/Noel lineup is definitely worth a shot, especially with Cousins trimming his weight and extending his range. That could be an instant contender right there. And even if we're not chasing him, the idea of getting another max contract into that core is intriguing.

They also did a bit of reading between the lines on an Earl K Sneed comment and came to the conclusion that Noel never sought offers from other teams, and that Dallas was his only choice. If so, then I have absolutely no idea what the holdup is here...

How much cap space do we have left? Are we simply waiting to see if there's anyone else we can sign before going over the cap to bring back Noel? Things aren't exactly adding up from an outsider's point of view.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #450
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
[url]
Bolded has my thoughts... I would much rather "overpay" him by $2-3M/year than risk losing him next year for nothing. And I believe with reasonable certainty that he will leave next summer if he plays this year on the qualifying offer.
Why do you believe that? You think he would go somewhere else for less money?

We have no idea at this point what Noel will be. He is the epitome of the word 'potential'. Everyone seems to assume he is the next coming of Tyson Chandler. But what if he's more like Samuel Dalembert or Brandon Wright? Would we want either of those centers locked in for a high dollar, long term contract?

What this is is a smart move. Mavs *could* pay him big bux now, but that would be risky, and in the current situation, unnecessary. It seems like Noel expects to be paid to his potential. So, why not wait a year, and see if he achieves it? That could cost the Mavs a few million more a year than it would now, but they avoid the risk of overpaying now for someone who doesn't achieve that full potential. I like Noel, and know his situation is a bit unique...but NBA players seldom greatly exceed what they've done over the first four years.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #451
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So I was listening to the Locked on Mavs podcast, and they mentioned that Harrison Barnes was upset with an offseason grade that some writer gave us... He seemed to think we should have scored higher because of all the cap space we'll have next summer, which is a pretty clear indication that we're going to be chasing a big fish (and probably explains why we're trying to keep Noel's payday manageable).

On the podcast, they speculated that we could be chasing Boogie to PAIR with Nerlens. I'd say the possibility of a DSJ/Wes/Barnes/Cousins/Noel lineup is definitely worth a shot, especially with Cousins trimming his weight and extending his range. That could be an instant contender right there. And even if we're not chasing him, the idea of getting another max contract into that core is intriguing.

They also did a bit of reading between the lines on an Earl K Sneed comment and came to the conclusion that Noel never sought offers from other teams, and that Dallas was his only choice. If so, then I have absolutely no idea what the holdup is here...

How much cap space do we have left? Are we simply waiting to see if there's anyone else we can sign before going over the cap to bring back Noel? Things aren't exactly adding up from an outsider's point of view.
I would be on board with Boogie chasing. There's risk, but sometimes you have to take a big swing. If we could dump Powell and Wes(or if Wes opts out to re-sign?)we could potentially re-sign Seth and sign Boogie? Anyone know how feasible this is?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #452
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I see Boogie as a waste of time and a locker room threat.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #453
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Why do you believe that? You think he would go somewhere else for less money?
For one thing, I don't know why you would assume wherever else he goes would be for less money. Why would you assume that? It's only "less money" if you're comparing teams' ability to sign players at max contracts when you figure in years and annual raises. Right now, it doesn't look like Nerlens is going to be a max player.

And let's keep in mind that next summer, assuming Nerlens took the QO this year, he would be UFA instead of RFA. That means teams are going to jump at the chance to sign him as opposed to having the built-in disadvantage of the restricted status. Right now 7 other teams project to have $18M+ in cap space next summer, and another 6 teams are one moderate salary dump away from having $20M+ in space. So of those 13, it takes one to call him at 12:01 AM to charm him and sign him right away.

As a longtime supporter of Nerlens and a proponent of trading for him for well over a year, I would rather overpay him by a few million a year now than risk losing him next year for nothing, which is what I expect would happen. I don't believe there is any precedent for a guy taking the QO and then re-signing with that team. If there is, please correct me.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #454
spreedom
Diamond Member

And I'm not a huge fan of pairing Boogie and Nerlens because in today's NBA, both are far more suited to play center. If we're pairing the two, we're probably sinking well over 50% of our cap into two guys who should be playing the same position, and neither has a history of playoff success.

I'm happy with Boogie as a consolation prize but prefer to sign Nerlens as the defensive anchor of the team for the next decade.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #455
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't really buy the Cousins stuff. Mavs have a long road ahead before worrying about chasing big fish again.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #456
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I see Boogie as a waste of time and a locker room threat.
So you're saying he's a quadruple threat player!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #457
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
So you're saying he's a quadruple threat player!
For lack of a better term, yes.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #458
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't believe there is any precedent for a guy taking the QO and then re-signing with that team. If there is, please correct me.
http://uproxx.com/dimemag/report-loo...lifying-offer/

There isn't precedent because players just don't do it often. Because the obvious injury risk but also because accepting a QO usually means leaving money on the table that you can never get back.

For example if we offered him a 4year 64m contract(16m avg annual) and had the built in raises his contract this year would be for 14.4m. His QO is a hair under 4.2m so that is 10.2m he will lose outright by signing a QO. And now next year if he signed a 4 year 80m deal and the salary started at 18.7 in year 1 he would have been at that time making 15.4 on the 2nd year of his deal we offered prior. Meaning he gains 3m but is still short 7m from his losses from the year prior. And if you follow it 3 years till his contract would have been up from our offer he is still losing money or at best breaking even. And then depending on what team option/player options he could be looking at a brand new deal or whatever. But the point is it is very hard to make up 10m in lost money. If we were offering a contract of 16m annual, he would basically have to be a max player for it to be worth the risk. And even then he's risking losing 10m off the start, and maybe 3-5m a year(or worse) if he got hurt while playing on the QO for a reward of 4 years later he might start making more than what we offered by becoming a max player. But if he became a max player he would obviously get the max from us his next go around... so again, it really doesn't make sense for him to do it as long as we are making a quality offer.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #459
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

One of them on the Locked on podcast made a good point regarding Noel injury. Mavs wouldve never traded for him in the first place if they thought his knees would be an issue. I really do think Mavs are probably offering a 12m range contract in order to keep his money manageable and give them room for next offseason. Or it could be what someone posted above regarding years. Not a lot of info to go on though. Obviously some reading between lines.

Last edited by Melonhead; 08-09-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #460
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
One of them on the Locked on podcast made a good point regarding Noel injury. Mavs wouldve never traded for him in the first place if they thought his knees would be an issue. I really do think Mavs are probably offering a 12m range contract in order to keep his money manageable and give them room for next offseason. Or it could be what someone posted above regarding years. Not a lot of info to go on though. Obviously some reading between lines.
Mavs know what Bryan_Wilson posted...it's hard to make up for lost money. Combine that with uncertainty as to just how good Noel would actually be, yes, they made an offer somewhere in the 12M range. Which Noel found 'insulting' I believe, was the word, albeit I believe from his agent. So, they seem far apart. It seems like his agent is whispering in his ear that he IS a max contract player, and he believes it. Given that...what offer would he take?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #461
BigDog63

Quote:
For one thing, I don't know why you would assume wherever else he goes would be for less money. Why would you assume that? It's only "less money" if you're comparing teams' ability to sign players at max contracts when you figure in years and annual raises. Right now, it doesn't look like Nerlens is going to be a max player.
Hence the standoff, because he seems to think he is.

Also, max or not, the Mavs are capable of offering at least as much as any other team. Noel won't be the most sought after free agent next year. He and the Mavs, though, might both be gambling on what he might get next year.

It is interesting that no one seems to have made an offer on him. Yes, they know the Mavs would match, but when was the last time a RFA like this didn't even get any offers? It does indicate, to your point, that he isn't a max player, or teams would be throwing money at him right now.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #462
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Hence the standoff, because he seems to think he is.

Also, max or not, the Mavs are capable of offering at least as much as any other team. Noel won't be the most sought after free agent next year. He and the Mavs, though, might both be gambling on what he might get next year.

It is interesting that no one seems to have made an offer on him. Yes, they know the Mavs would match, but when was the last time a RFA like this didn't even get any offers? It does indicate, to your point, that he isn't a max player, or teams would be throwing money at him right now.
If Im a gambling man, Im betting on Noel over the Mavs in a free agency standoff next offseason. Those never work well for the FO...Podcast indicated he didnt even go out and get offers. Idk how much of that to believe, there were just reading between the lines. I think 2016 has messed with a lot of people, and most offseasons will never be like last years in terms of contracts.

Last edited by Melonhead; 08-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #463
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

A good question to ponder...

Who comes off the bench if Noel starts?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #464
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

I assume the starting 5 is
DSJ, Wes, HB, Dirk, Noel.
Dirk comes out, HB and Wes slide up to the 3/4 and Seth comes in at the 2.
DSJ, Seth, Wes, HB, Noel.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #465
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

Seth is so much better from the start and they aren't benching Matthews or Barnes

So either we start Seth at point or either Dirk or Noel come off the bench
Old 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #466
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I assume the starting 5 is
DSJ, Wes, HB, Dirk, Noel.
Dirk comes out, HB and Wes slide up to the 3/4 and Seth comes in at the 2.
DSJ, Seth, Wes, HB, Noel.
At this point, I would have to assume this would be the case as well.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #467
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Seth is so much better from the start and they aren't benching Matthews or Barnes

So are you saying you would potentially start Seth over DSJ?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #468
SMC0007
Guru

Only way DSJ comes off the bench is if he is horrible in camp, which isn't happening. I can't see how that plays out where all the excitement which may be the only thing we have to hold around here is left out of the starting lineup. One might argue that he is the biggest lock at a starter we have here.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #469
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

A starting lineup of DSJ, Seth, Wes, HB, and Dirk might be able to get a single rebound, but then again, maybe not. Hyperbole aside, while I can imagine the Mavs exploring that lineup on opening day, I can't believe Carlisle would stick with it for very long.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #470
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:

My thoughts as well. Seth plays much better after getting into a rhythm. Think Noel will be off the bench. Dirk starts/plays 5 min ish, and Noel comes in and people can slide around as needed.

We have to see Seth follow up last season AND can he share the floor with DSJ. If he can, resign Seth. If he cant...

EDIT: As purple frog pointed out, but rebounds. Rick has his work cut out per usual.

Last edited by Melonhead; 08-10-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #471
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My thoughts as well. Seth plays much better after getting into a rhythm. Think Noel will be off the bench. Dirk starts/plays 5 min ish, and Noel comes in and people can slide around as needed.

We have to see Seth follow up last season AND can he share the floor with DSJ. If he can, resign Seth. If he cant...

EDIT: As purple frog pointed out, but rebounds. Rick has his work cut out per usual.
Although I'm not keen on that situation I think you are about dead on. We will get killed on the glass and on defense with a Dirk/Barnes front court but the Mavs simply have to find out if a DSJ/Seth backcourt is the future.

Personally I'd move Wes to the bench at first because Barnes is a good enough defender and Noel would help make up for any other deficiencies on defense and would improve our rebounding woes.

Ultimately though I'd rather see Wes move to the SG and let Seth evolve into the JET 6th man roll.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #472
SMC0007
Guru

Why pay Noel to come off the bench knowing you will have massive rebounding issues as well as defensive issues? Especially considering Seth in theory should be able to roll off the bench and be a scoring threat. If we didn't start in a hole so much last season, I would not care much about starters vs minutes played, but it's a problem when you can't set some sort of defensive tone to the game.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #473
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
So are you saying you would potentially start Seth over DSJ?
This year at least, although it sounds like Rick wants him to start.

Unfortunately Dirk can shoot and rebound but he can't defend. Noel can defend and kinda rebound, but he can't shoot. Same issues we seem to always have at center and we haven't yet invented a way to combine players or else we'd have a player with Fortson's rebounding, LaFrentz's shooting, and Bradley's height.

I think it all comes down to Smith and Curry's play. If they can take care of a lot of the offensive burden, then we can afford to have Dirk off the floor and maybe even start Noel. Last season we couldn't play Noel much because we couldn't afford to bench Dirk or we'd score 70 points a game, even when playing Dirk made our defense porous. We just simply needed the scoring so bad that Rick even tried posting up Matthews. If the guards step up, the whole game is changed. If they don't, then we're still in the same purgatory of not being able to score. Barnes may step up a bit and Matthews can make the game easier for guards, but he's not going to shoulder the offensive burden for any team with a chance at making the playoffs. It's all on the guards to keep things interesting.

If Smith can create and Curry can stay hot, then we can go with DSJ/Curry/Matthews/Barnes/Noel.

Otherwise we may have to play Curry at point or Dirk at center for prolonged periods, meaning Noel rots on the bench

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #474
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Sooo the Mavs need scoring and need rebounding. They need both pretty badly which equates to just not being a very good team.

The good news is that I think DSJ can provide both scoring/playmaking AND rebounding. I think his ability as a rebounder has largely gone under the radar. We need guard rebounding like a marooned sailor needs water, and he'll have to really deliver there if he wants to be a 30mpg starter. I think he will.

And I'm still surprised that Matthews gets to start no matter what from most opinions. I'd seriously consider bringing him off the bench and do DSJ/Curry/Barnes/Dirk/Noel. I think you could get away with Noel at the 4 on defense and Dirk the 5. Noel is quick enough for that lineup to work IMO.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 08-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #475
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Seth or Wes start the game on the bench. I can't see it any other way.

DSJ - rookie PG will get his minutes. Seth can play PG for spells, but it isn't his position
Barnes - may be the safest bet on the team actually to start
Dirk - little tricky, but your franchise player and future HOF legend isn't quite done to be relegated to 6th man
Noel - I don't believe a starting lineup featuring Dirk at center will be close to as good as one with both Dirk and Noel on the floor together

I personally think Seth Curry ends up coming off the bench. I get the arguments for him starting, but he will get plenty of minutes in stretches for this team. For me, I see this current roster (plus Noel since it's not official) being 6 guys who will all be around 30 minutes a game (maybe less for maintenance with Dirk) and the rest can go to quality back-up rotational guys in Barea, Harris, Yogi, DFS, Powell, and Mejri. I don't think McRoberts, Kleber, Motley (maybe, but I think he needs a little development), Ashley, or Dozier getting much burn with the way the current roster is structured.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #476
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Seth or Wes start the game on the bench. I can't see it any other way.

DSJ - rookie PG will get his minutes. Seth can play PG for spells, but it isn't his position
Barnes - may be the safest bet on the team actually to start
Dirk - little tricky, but your franchise player and future HOF legend isn't quite done to be relegated to 6th man
Noel - I don't believe a starting lineup featuring Dirk at center will be close to as good as one with both Dirk and Noel on the floor together

I personally think Seth Curry ends up coming off the bench. I get the arguments for him starting, but he will get plenty of minutes in stretches for this team. For me, I see this current roster (plus Noel since it's not official) being 6 guys who will all be around 30 minutes a game (maybe less for maintenance with Dirk) and the rest can go to quality back-up rotational guys in Barea, Harris, Yogi, DFS, Powell, and Mejri. I don't think McRoberts, Kleber, Motley (maybe, but I think he needs a little development), Ashley, or Dozier getting much burn with the way the current roster is structured.
Another reason for moving Seth to the bench is the lack of bench offense that will most likely occur with this current roster. Nearly all of our bench scoring will come from the guard positions (Yogi and JJ). Seth would be perfect in that role because he has proven he can put up big numbers and would be able to play against 2nd units.

Also, Seth and Yogi played well together last season and could become one of the best 2nd unit backcourts in the league imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-11-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #477
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I don't think McRoberts, Kleber, Motley (maybe, but I think he needs a little development), Ashley, or Dozier getting much burn with the way the current roster is structured.
I'm very intrigued with Kleber and am thinking he could be a really good find and fit for this team. He seems to have the qualities we need and have been looking for in Powell. He's a 37% 3pt shooter, 83% FT shooter, fairly athletic, decent handles, pretty aggressive in the paint, runs the floor well, good size at PF, decent rebounding numbers (6.3) and doesn't look too bad on D.

This is a great opportunity for him and could see him being a great fit if he has the right attitude and takes advantage of the opportunity. He'll be one that I'll be watching very closely in preseason.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-11-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #478
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I don't disagree with people wanting Matthews off the bench, it's just 100% not going to happen. Rick will start him and Rick will play him 38mpg+. End of story.

Curry makes sense as a spark plug and Rick seems willing to play him off the bench, but his stats were just so much better as a starter.

It's a quandary for sure.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-11-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #479
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I thought they had discussed at the end of last season that Dirk may move to a bench role. It actually makes sense to keep the offense rolling when the starters take their first sit. I know it's an ego thing but could he pull a Ginobili move .... come off the bench at start, keep the team moving in the middle, and then finish the game at the end?
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #480
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I don't disagree with people wanting Matthews off the bench, it's just 100% not going to happen. Rick will start him and Rick will play him 38mpg+. End of story.

Curry makes sense as a spark plug and Rick seems willing to play him off the bench, but his stats were just so much better as a starter.

It's a quandary for sure.
Yea, Mathews off the bench isn't going to happen, and it's for the same reasons I expect Noel to start. You have to set a defensive tone if you can and their salary is tough to swallow as bench/role players. Mathews can not come off the bench and provide scoring the same way Seth can so once you get past the starting group and the tone you are trying to establish, the minutes can be given out in the flow, and Wes can sink or swim imo.