Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #441
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

They cut both Anderson and Williams. I can't believe they cut Randall. A guy that big and fast should be able to find a spot on atleast special teams.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #442
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
They cut both Anderson and Williams. I can't believe they cut Randall. A guy that big and fast should be able to find a spot on atleast special teams.
How many seasons have they given Randall?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #443
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

I didn't think he was very good on special teams either. Plus Crayton will take his spot as promising young WR. I'd like to see Crayton return more PUNTS this year too. He has a natural flow to it.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #444
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Wayyy too many but he still should find a spot on this team. I thought he made some pretty good plays on special teams last season. It's clear he was underachieving but I don't know. I probably would've given him another year.

1996-2005
Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #445
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wayyy too many but he still should find a spot on this team. I thought he made some pretty good plays on special teams last season. It's clear he was underachieving but I don't know. I probably would've given him another year.
It's not easy to give up on a guy with both size AND speed.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #446
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

In case you guys didn't get to hear Big Bill come down from the mountain today, here is a bit of a recap of his press conference. I'm going from memory, so I'm sure I'll leave some things out.

On Ware...truly a flexible player...at times will be a true linebacker, at times will be a true end...doesn't want him fighting through the tackle 70 plays a game though...learned that lesson from McGinest

On Spears...needs to lose some weight

On Canty...not sure of the timetable for him, but thinks he has a shot to be ready to go by training camp

On Hunter...there was no substance to those Mickens rumors...doesn't know how that got started, though he can see how it would be logical for someone to make that conjecture...Hunter will stay at corner...that's how he will be trained...this is not to say he might not see time at nickle safety, but for the most part he's a corner

On safety...knows what he has in Scott...you need guys like Lynn Scott on your team...Davis will get a look there...he really showed Bill last season what he is made of...Beriault has a good chance to compete there...will probably work out some vets here in the future...wanted to draft another safety, but someone else took the guy they wanted...Danzler is in Europe trying to learn the position, who knows how he'll do

On Aaron Glenn...knows exactly what he'll get in Glenn...the guy will have himself ready to play on Sunday...he's a consummate professional...the media will like him...at 5'8", didn't make it this long in the league without being a consummate pro

On the fronts...there is not a single team that uses one front only...some teams use as many as three or four different fronts

On the offensive line...chance to be much improved...the guys, including the old guys, have worked very, very hard...Flozell has lost a lot of weight...Allen is running things he's never run before...Gurode will move to center...wanted to give him a chance to compete for a starting job, which was going to be hard to go at RG with Rivera here...the rookies have improved quite a bit...good rehab...Peterman (I think that's the one, I always get them confused...maybe it's Rogers) is slated at LT but will move to RT if he's the best option there...Vollers and Noll and Tucker are in the mix...Pettiti has a lot of potential

On running back...very happy to get Barber...Tyson Thompson has a lot of talent, if he can "figure out what he needs to do"...Polite has had a good offseason...Polite is actually the third or fourth strongest guy on the team

On quarterback...the kids have worked very hard this winter...Henson is approaching 5,000 passes thrown this offseason...they had to dial it back on him, the workload has been so heavy...(oddly, I can't remember any questions about Bledsoe)

On the team last year...knew they were better on paper than the team the year before...couple close losses early changed the outlook...couple things that may not appear obvious (Campbell and Glenn, I surmise) hindrered their chances

I'm sure there was quite a bit more, but that's all I remember.

Go Cowboys!!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #447
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Thanks chum. I only caught the tail end but big bill seemed to be pretty confident regarding the offseason moves and the draft. He sounds sure of what he has at WR... and I think he's realistic. Glenn is good at what he does, Keyshawn is good at what he does and hopefully Morgan will become a good complementary option.

Overall, I don't remember being this excited about a cowboys offseason in a long, long time.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #448
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

very good recap....from memory you say??....I heard some of it and can echo cap's excitment! This Defense should be stout.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #449
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I feel you, cap. I'm excited, too. Yes, sikeymonkey, the Boys are going to knock some heads on defense next year. This team is going to look way different, I think. Bill has had enough time now to get his systems in place, to gather enough of the right kind of players. No telling how good we can be. But I'm sure we will be very dangerous.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #450
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you heard it here.....chum just predicted a Dallas victory in the Super Bowl!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #451
chumdawg
Guru

I call 'em like I see 'em, Sike. Call 'em like I see 'em.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #452
sike
The Preacha

yes you do sir, yes you do.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #453
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Of course, Chumdawg has a lazy eye, is color blind and wears bifocals, but he calls 'em like he sees 'em.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #454
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Of course, Chumdawg has a lazy eye, is color blind and wears bifocals, but he calls 'em like he sees 'em.

So he is like most of the officials in the Dallas-Houston series ? ? ? ?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #455
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while!

Seriously, now...I will be extremely surprised if this Cowboys bunch does not make the playoffs. I will be at least mildly suprised if they don't win their first playoff game.

Anyone else have any early feelings?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #456
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
that's just something blind squirrels say to give themselves hope....false hope though it be.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #457
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
that's just something blind squirrels say to give themselves hope....false hope though it be.
False hope is better than no hope
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #458
kingrex
Platinum Member

Steve Savoy WR Utah
Geoff McArthur WR California - I thought he was injured?

These guys aren't stars, but they're worth the look.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #459
chumdawg
Guru

Cowboys signed the A-train, Anthony Thomas, RB Bears.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #460
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

he could be a nice change of pace back...but nothing more
Old 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #461
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

nice pickup wow. I think he can play fullback too. or maybe i'm confusing him with the other A-train hehe. This offseason just keeps getting better and better.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #462
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Whoa. Nice pick up. Maybe I overrate him but this guy showed alot of promise two seasons ago. Coincidentally he went from backing up Julius' brother to backing him up now.

1996-2005
Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #463
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I know this is the Cowboys offseason thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. If you have an extra 5 minutes check out this highlight compiled by the Jaguars of Matt Jones. They've got some video from the senior bowl that I had never seen before. I am officially depressed that the Boys didn't find a way to get MJ.

Hope we don't regret it
Old 05-03-2005, 02:56 AM   #464
chumdawg
Guru

I see no reason not to believe that Matt Jones will be an ultra-stud in the NFL. You'd love to take him in the second or third, sure. But if he ends up being one of the three or four best playmakers in the draft, I'd say you got a hell of a deal there at 21 (or whatever it was).

It may sound crazy, but I wonder what the guy could do at safety. One day a guy with his size will play that position, I'm sure. At any rate, doubtless he will at least be a special teams demon for the Jags.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #465
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I saw footage of the Senior Bowl practices on the NFL Network...Ware is unbelivably quick. as soon as the offensive lineman TWITCHED, he was in the backfield. crazy stuff.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #466
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
I saw footage of the Senior Bowl practices on the NFL Network...Ware is unbelivably quick. as soon as the offensive lineman TWITCHED, he was in the backfield. crazy stuff.
I can't wait to see Ware and Spears in NFL pads to see how well they fare.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #467
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
I can't wait to see Ware and Spears in NFL pads to see how well they fare.
I'm salivating. Years and years without a legit pass rusher... and just think... we may have 2 or 3 guys record double digit sacks in 2005.

...and the qb's we don't get behind the line will be flushed out into the open field for Roy to feast on!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #468
Frost

Frost is on a distinguished road

any online highlights that we can view of Ware, Spears, etc?
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #469
chumdawg
Guru

JJones was just on with Norm. Norm said that one team had Ware #2 overall on their draft board, and a few others had him in the top five.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #470
sike
The Preacha

a good question would be "Where did the boys have him on their board?"

Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #471
chumdawg
Guru

EIGHT!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #472
sike
The Preacha

nice.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #473
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

is Terence Newman that good?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #474
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

I suppose Newman is the cowboy's version of a shut-down corner. Although he isn't quite that good yet I think he may develop to be that good
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #475
chumdawg
Guru

Put it this way: Newman got a lot better this offseason.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #476
kingrex
Platinum Member

And if the Cowboys can actually get a pass rush this year, then Newman will only look even better.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #477
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Ed Reed isn't showing up for camp untill he gets a new contract according to SI.com truth and rumors. Man if we had Mr. Ed Reed the defense would be unbeleivable.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #478
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry this is what it says exactly. There is a MIGHT in there

Although Ravens coach Brian Billick said there could be some no-shows, he anticipated safety Ed Reed participating. There has been speculation that the 2004 NFL Defensive Player of the Year might not show up at training camp on time if he doesn't get a new deal. He has two years remaining on his contract.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #479
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Yah, but what are the odds that the Ravens don't re-sign him? I'm not sure Bill Parcells would want a player who holds out. I'm not saying I wouldn't him on the Cowboys. He would give us a Solid secondary, and would probably be the best free agent pickup of the offseason.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #480
Flip41

I thought this was interesting.

Glover, Ellis: Unhappy campers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Jean-Jacques Taylor

The most interesting part of training camp and the early part of the season will be seeing how La'Roi Glover and Greg Ellis react to the 3-4 defense.

The early guess is that neither is going to be happy. The question is whether they can subjugate their egos – every professional athlete has an ego – to maintain peace and happiness in the locker room.

It's pretty clear that Glover, a five-time Pro Bowl performer, is not going to start. The Cowboys didn't give Jason Ferguson a $9 million signing bonus to bring him off the bench. Besides, it's pretty clear that Dallas is going to the 3-4 and he's a perfect fit.

Glover, who has been told he's going to play about 65 percent of the time, is fine with that percentage but has made it clear he wants to start and finish games. That simply isn't going to happen unless Dallas goes to the 4-3 like it should.

So Glover, the consummate professional, is not going to be happy. That could impact the locker room.

Then there's Ellis, who was so upset during minicamp that the normally affable defensive end politely declined comment about anything football-related.

Ellis is one of the hardest workers on the team. He is also a true professional.

But he's made it clear through some comments and body language that he doesn't want anything to do with the 3-4. That's understandable since it requires him to play head up on 330-pound tackles, which is not his strength.

He relies on speed, quickness and guile. All but his guile are neutralized when he plays head up on tackles, who outweigh him by 40-50 pounds.

Glover and Ellis will not run to the media with their complaints. They will probably give clichéd answers about how they fit into the defense.

The reality is that it's going to be hard for the Cowboys' defense to perform at a high level if their two defensive leaders are upset.

It's not too late for coach Bill Parcells to return to the 4-3 for one more season. But it isn't going to happen.

Stay tuned.