Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default The Refs Screwed the Spurs

Case in point:

Mavs FTA: 43
Spurs FTA: 37

Mavs Fouls: 27
Spurs Fouls: 26

Tim Duncan: 12/14 from the FT line

Diop: 5 fouls
Dampier: 5 fouls
Dirk: 4 fouls
Daniels: 4 fouls

Last edited by aexchange; 05-10-2006 at 12:10 AM.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
allahu akbar
Banned

allahu akbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, the refs didn't screw us. The pick and roll with devin harris killed.

I've never seen us get burned that bad repeatedly like that.
allahu akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by allahu akbar
Nah, the refs didn't screw us. The pick and roll with devin harris killed.

I've never seen us get burned that bad repeatedly like that.
i knew i should have used emoticons.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

For the spurs fans told me so

Little general to we belong

spurts are weak but we be strong

YES! Jesus is a mavs fan
YES! Christ is a mavs fan
YES! the refs screwed the spurs

Spursreport.com told me so.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

The Refs screwed the Spurs.

The _Allas Mavericks can't play defense or rebound.

Steve Nash is the NBA's Most Valuble Player because he makes his teammates better.

Shaq is the most dominant player in the game.

Robert Horry is clutch.

Defense wins championships.

The World Trade Center was actually bombed by the United States government.

Elvis is alive.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, would it have made a difference? The Mavs would have beaten the Spurs tonight if the refs had granted the Spurs complete immunity on foul calls. They were that much more athletic.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Honestly, would it have made a difference? The Mavs would have beaten the Spurs tonight if the refs had granted the Spurs complete immunity on foul calls. They were that much more athletic.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think even a Spurs fan can argue the fact that the Mavs played a helluva better game than the Spurs tonight.

Great job by the Mavs.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i know this is for "entertainment" value..but can we stop already?

We won one game...

If there's one thing that has been proven over the years in the playoffs, it's that the mavs have no home court advantage -- they've been beaten on a regular basis.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey we are the FANS!! Fans get to go nutty. they go nutty after a win and after a loss.

Players have avery to kick their butt all of the way back to dallas.

Of course this FAN will be a whole lot more fired up and loud since they are coming back tied and not down 2. So yea, they did quite a bit tonight.

They took away HCA. They evened up the series on their court. And they beat the crap out of them on their own court. When they could have put a serious, serious stranglehold on this series. This is a pretty damn big win.

Enjoy it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Funny thing. The teams who usually get every single call are the ones who always seem to hate Steve Javie the most. Still the best ref in the business, in my opinion.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
albigensian

albigensian can only hope to improve

Refs screwed the Spurs?

Personal fouls:

Dallas : 27

Spurs: 26
albigensian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

did you guys hear the Spurs crowd - twice?

"JA-VIE SUCKS! JA-VIE SUCKS!" and repeat cycle...

just goes to show, all spurs fans are proud to display their idiocy to America
Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I felt uncomfortable watching that. It was just so unusual, especially when the cameras switched to the wide view. There was the whole lower bowl, pumping their fists and chanting against a referee. It was really sorta creepy. It had almost an out-for-blood, Gladiator-esque vibe to it. Like the King's men should be given carte blanche on their way to victory.

As I said, it was creepy and uncomfortable. It wasn't quite like anything I have seen from other fans. The best guess I can give for why such an untoward action would have happened is that the San Antonio fans don't have anything else to root for. They don't have a pro team in any of the other three sports--and I think they are keenly aware that most other large cities have all four--they don't have a college team, they don't have anything. I know that they are big on the high school football, but even there they don't do well.

I guess it's something of a "deserve" complex.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #14
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

hahah... my roommate is from Bangladesh and he's a huge Mavs fan... and it was funny because when the chanting was going on, and the camera wide-angled it, he stood up and goes "yeah mother****ers!! scoreboard!!"

I'm still laughing about it
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
...The best guess I can give for why such an untoward action would have happened is that the San Antonio fans don't have anything else to root for. They don't have a pro team in any of the other three sports--and I think they are keenly aware that most other large cities have all four--they don't have a college team, they don't have anything. I know that they are big on the high school football, but even there they don't do well.

I guess it's something of a "deserve" complex.
Bingo.

Inferiority complex of epic proportions.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx

Uh...wait. Javie DOES suck. To completion.

I think what set the SA fans off was the NVE ejection, followed by a couple of close calls against Duncan. Then to make matters worse, there was that random whistle thing that kind of stalled out the momentum on a possible comeback.

While I can see how they may've thought they were getting the short end of Javie's stick, it seemed to even out for the most part.

Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players to watch....right behind Dirk, actually. But I hate the way the games have been called against Diop and Damp. Let them play, and if Duncan is initiating the contact, at least don't call fouls against Diop and Damp.

I agree with the SA fans. Javie sucks.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

courtside, in the paint, fade away in your face
courtside, in the paint, fade away, in your face
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #18
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
hahah... my roommate is from Bangladesh and he's a huge Mavs fan... and it was funny because when the chanting was going on, and the camera wide-angled it, he stood up and goes "yeah mother****ers!! scoreboard!!"

I'm still laughing about it
Now i'm laughing!!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:

Yeah, their fans are the worse, spoilt rotten.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The refs didn't screw the Spurs...fatigue and not executing on the defensive end screwed the Spurs.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #21
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion45heart
The refs didn't screw the Spurs...fatigue and not executing on the defensive end screwed the Spurs.
please go and preach this to the fans on spurstalk and spursreport. They think it was the refs.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Golden Ticket should have at least gotten to the line 20 times last night.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #23
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I've got a golden tickeeeeeeeeeeeet!.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #24
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
i knew i should have used emoticons.
perfect

and thanks for post such a needed statistical reminder...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

how the heck did that many fans know the officaial's name?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #26
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Did they really chant "Javie Sucks"? I thought they were chanting "referee sucks".
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #27
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

it started out as refs you suck then went to javie sucks and they just rotated.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
please go and preach this to the fans on spurstalk and spursreport. They think it was the refs.
I did.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #29
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

good for you.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #30
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
it started out as refs you suck then went to javie sucks and they just rotated.
and how did they learn the name of Steve Javie????

it sounded like "Refs you suck" to me as well.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #31
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

only one person has to know his name, start chanting and everyone catches on.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #32
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Fault-Finding
Game 2: Mavs Win, With An Asterisk?

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
Don't blame the Spurs for this. Don't you dare! Look into their sad, pleading eyes! Notice their arms extended, palms up, in beggar position! Watch them escort referees up and down the floor as if they are zebra herders! It's not the Spurs' fault! Instead, let's see. ... who can they blame Game 2 on?
"No way around it,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich offered. "They kicked ass. ... no excuses.''
No excuses? For the Spurs? No alibis? No blame?
Let's get more creative! Go, Spurs, Go! ...
Blame the short amount of time between the first Dallas-San Antonio meeting and Tuesday's Game 2 result, a 113-91 wire-to-wire road demolition of the lordly Spurs. Hey, San Antonio bitched when they had to face Dallas just 36 hours after playing Sacramento., so it's not that much more fair to make them play Game 2 just 54 hours after Game 1, right? They deserve another apology from Commissioner Stern!
Blame Josh Howard and misfortune in the NBA Draft order. In case you haven't read this, the real geniuses behind pinpointing J-Ho out of Wake Forest were the Spurs! The story goes, they intended on selecting him but doggone if the Draft order and Draft process didn't screw them, and J-Ho ends up going to Dallas. And then, three years later, explodes in Game 2 with 27 points and nine rebounds to capture Player of the Game honors.
""Same old Josh," Howard said. "Whatever I can do to help my team in the first half and continue it in the second half, I'll do."
But he should've been "Same Old Josh of the Spurs.'' What really sucks for the Spurs is that the NBA Draft ping-pong balls just never, ever seem to go their way. ...
Blame Avery Johnson for being too trusting. The General elevates Devin Harris to the starting lineup! How can you trust that kid? He lets Cavs trash DeSagana Diop and Warrior trash Erick Dampier guard the legendary Tim Duncan! How can you trust those stiffs? He refuses to station Marquis Daniels in the doghouse and assumes usual starters Jason Terry and Adrian Griffin won't pout about redefined roles! How can you trust all that falling into place?
Of course, a greater role for Harris, the second-year point guard, was planned all along. So him starting at the 1 really shouldn't have been all that shocking. And considering that the last time Devin was healthy and allowed extensive burn against the Spurs, in a regular-season game in which he scored 22, maybe his numbers shouldn't be shocking, either.
Devin starts and, rocketing past everyone, contributes 20 points and three assists. "We had our eyes on this round for Devin to play a game for us," Johnson said. "And he played a game for us tonight."
JET moves to the 2 without a whimper, letting Devin, his quad problem healed up, execute the pick-and-roll and trying to contribute what he could. Griff is the odd-man out, the result of a Game 1 setup that freed Duncan to guard him (and therefore not have to really guard anybody at all). And Diop and Damp? No complaints. No whining. No begging. They collected all kinds of numbers wrasslin' with Duncan. Rebounds. Fouls. Numbers.
And Avery trusts in all this? Has trusted in most of these same themes -- except for starting Terry and Harris and Howard together, something the Mavs had never done before -- all year long?
Foolish rookie coach. Foolish rookie Coach of the Year coach.
Blame Devin Harris for not having a Hollywood girlfriend. Harris has some of the same downside that Tony Parker once had; he'll spent this summer working on the jumper, as Parker has also had to do. But he also offers much of the same upside -- he beats everyone off the dribble, he penetrates, he's fearless. ... and, unlike most NBA point guards, he's a finisher.
What does Devin lack that Parker has? A Desperate Housewife.
Classy broad, that Eva. Screaming, "Ref, you suck!'' during the game. Classy broad.
Blame a balanced Mavs attack that allows Dirk to almost be a decoy. A decoy. A Dirkcoy? Surely this wasn't the Mavs' design. But Nowitzki did say before the game, "I can't beat the San Antonio Spurs by myself,'' and well, Dirk, you certainly weren't asked to here.
"Nobody on our team (outside of Howard's 17) took more than 13 shots,'' noted sixth man Jerry Stackhouse, whose 12 shots resulted in 19 points and a three-game playoff streak during which he's averaged 20.7 points on 49-percent shooting. "That's balance.''
The UberMan is also on record as believing that he won't get 30 in a game in this series, unlike in the Round 1 series with Memphis when he scored at will. I'd be willing to bet otherwise, but if it means 21 points on 11 shots with nine rebounds and three steals, Dirk as a Dirkcoy is acceptable.
The bastards at the scorer's table cheated. They must've, because how else could the Mavs have scored 84 points in three quarters (one fewer than they managed total in the Game 1 loss) and 113 for the game without netting a bunch of assists? The scorers'-table bastards miscounted! Who's running the scoreboard over there, Katherine Harris?
Double-teaming Duncan isn't fair. Either is single-covering him. Hey, that's a ripoff! The Mavs usually only double-teamed Tim Duncan when he floored the ball. ... that shouldn't be legal! Why should a 6-11 guy have to dribble to move? And hey, Little Orphan Timmy -- and those big please-help-me! eyes -- scored 28 points on 8-of-10 shooting.
What sort of a cruel and unjust God would allow him to miss those two?
"Timmy was great," Popovich said. "He's playing Tim Duncan playoff basketball. Unfortunately he didn't get a lot of help. But that was because of the way Dallas played. I thought their defense was excellent. I thought it was great."
Manu Ginobili got a bloody lip. Bleeding? Bleeding? There's no bleeding in basketball! (Or at least there's not when you're Manu, who has made a living of cartoonishly flopping backwards at the hint of contact - contact so light he could never have possibly bled before).
Really, this injury thing is a curse against the Spurs! Duncan is obviously really, really hurt (despite scoring 31 and 28 in the first two games). Tony Parker, heck, he was listed as "questionable'' and the Spurs announced he might not even play! (He seemed healthy enough to me).
And Manu's lip! Dear Lord what about Manu's lip!?
The refs conspired against San Antonio. From Wednesday's San Antonio Express-News:
"Howard, however, was only Public Enemy 1A in the eyes of the local fans. (Ref Steve) Javie occupied the top rung for much of the game. The veteran official issued four technicals in the first half: one each to Popovich and Johnson; and two to Nick Van Exel, resulting in Van Exel's ejection. Van Exel's exit didn't hurt the Spurs as much as the one that followed. Duncan picked up his third foul on a charge he disputed and had to spend the final 6 minutes, 21 seconds of the first half on the sideline. The Spurs trailed by 11 at the time and unraveled without their best player. They went into halftime down 58-38. After Ginobili was called for a foul on Harris, despite catching an elbow in the face that left him with a mouthful of blood, the crowd serenaded Javie with a less-than-endearing chant.
Yes, indeed. The Spurs lost by 22 points because of Steve Javie.
Finley, Barry, Horry, Van Exel and Rasho can't cover anybody. And given that fact, the Spurs -- by virtue of the fact they are the defending champions -- should've been allowed a "special roster exemption'' so they could add somebody to their roster who is capable of guarding somebody on Dallas' roster.
(Nick's shot could one of them there "special exemptions,'' too. He got ejected for throwing towels onto the floor, but those towels were as close to the rim as most of the shots he's been throwing up.)
Rumor has it that if Dallas wins this best-of-seven series, the Spurs will petition the NBA to put as asterisk next to the results. Because whatever happens, it just isn't San Antonio's fault.

159 am May 10 06 Back
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #33
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Uh...wait. Javie DOES suck. To completion.

I think what set the SA fans off was the NVE ejection, followed by a couple of close calls against Duncan. Then to make matters worse, there was that random whistle thing that kind of stalled out the momentum on a possible comeback.

While I can see how they may've thought they were getting the short end of Javie's stick, it seemed to even out for the most part.

Tim Duncan is one of my favorite players to watch....right behind Dirk, actually. But I hate the way the games have been called against Diop and Damp. Let them play, and if Duncan is initiating the contact, at least don't call fouls against Diop and Damp.

I agree with the SA fans. Javie sucks.

Co-sign. I'm a Mavs fan and I think Javie sucks. Hell it wasn't like the Mavs got the edge in foul calls last night. The refs called some bs on the Mavs as well. I do agree with your point. I think what frustrated the Spurs the most is that when they tried to rally back either the Mavs scored or the refs called a unfavorable call against them. That frustrated them all night long. I have no problem with the refs calling phantom calls on Diop and Dampier. Duncan is a star in this league and just like most stars he gets a certain treatment. What I can't appreciate the inconsistency the foul's come. Are you going to let them play physical or are you going to call the game tight? There was a mix of both last night.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #34
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

And yea I thought the crowd was screaming "Referee's suck". I definately didn't hear Javie and I doubt the whole arena even knew what a Steve Javie is.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #35
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

i thought they were chanting refs you suck.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #36
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
how the heck did that many fans know the officaial's name?
I recognize all lead refs (and of course Violet) on sight. There is usually a thread trying to pick the crew before each playoff game. These guys all have a long, and storied history. Javie has a beef w/NVE that goes back to Denver '01 that's pretty well known; so that was predictable - and NVE was stupid for giving him cause to pull the trigger; especially with Tony limping.

Ironically, if you would have given Spur's fans their 'druthers; they'd have chosen Javie last night.

But, this game was NOT about the Refs, or fatigue. It was about who played more aggressive basketball, with a better game-plan.
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #37
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
i thought they were chanting refs you suck.
It was a mixed bag.

Some "Javie"; some "Refs"; some "Nies" (although he wasn't at the game, lol).
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #38
allahu akbar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman
Fault-Finding
Game 2: Mavs Win, With An Asterisk?

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
Don't blame the Spurs for this. Don't you dare! Look into their sad, pleading eyes! Notice their arms extended, palms up, in beggar position! Watch them escort referees up and down the floor as if they are zebra herders! It's not the Spurs' fault! Instead, let's see. ... who can they blame Game 2 on?
"No way around it,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich offered. "They kicked ass. ... no excuses.''
No excuses? For the Spurs? No alibis? No blame?
Let's get more creative! Go, Spurs, Go! ...
Blame the short amount of time between the first Dallas-San Antonio meeting and Tuesday's Game 2 result, a 113-91 wire-to-wire road demolition of the lordly Spurs. Hey, San Antonio bitched when they had to face Dallas just 36 hours after playing Sacramento., so it's not that much more fair to make them play Game 2 just 54 hours after Game 1, right? They deserve another apology from Commissioner Stern!
Blame Josh Howard and misfortune in the NBA Draft order. In case you haven't read this, the real geniuses behind pinpointing J-Ho out of Wake Forest were the Spurs! The story goes, they intended on selecting him but doggone if the Draft order and Draft process didn't screw them, and J-Ho ends up going to Dallas. And then, three years later, explodes in Game 2 with 27 points and nine rebounds to capture Player of the Game honors.
""Same old Josh," Howard said. "Whatever I can do to help my team in the first half and continue it in the second half, I'll do."
But he should've been "Same Old Josh of the Spurs.'' What really sucks for the Spurs is that the NBA Draft ping-pong balls just never, ever seem to go their way. ...
Blame Avery Johnson for being too trusting. The General elevates Devin Harris to the starting lineup! How can you trust that kid? He lets Cavs trash DeSagana Diop and Warrior trash Erick Dampier guard the legendary Tim Duncan! How can you trust those stiffs? He refuses to station Marquis Daniels in the doghouse and assumes usual starters Jason Terry and Adrian Griffin won't pout about redefined roles! How can you trust all that falling into place?
Of course, a greater role for Harris, the second-year point guard, was planned all along. So him starting at the 1 really shouldn't have been all that shocking. And considering that the last time Devin was healthy and allowed extensive burn against the Spurs, in a regular-season game in which he scored 22, maybe his numbers shouldn't be shocking, either.
Devin starts and, rocketing past everyone, contributes 20 points and three assists. "We had our eyes on this round for Devin to play a game for us," Johnson said. "And he played a game for us tonight."
JET moves to the 2 without a whimper, letting Devin, his quad problem healed up, execute the pick-and-roll and trying to contribute what he could. Griff is the odd-man out, the result of a Game 1 setup that freed Duncan to guard him (and therefore not have to really guard anybody at all). And Diop and Damp? No complaints. No whining. No begging. They collected all kinds of numbers wrasslin' with Duncan. Rebounds. Fouls. Numbers.
And Avery trusts in all this? Has trusted in most of these same themes -- except for starting Terry and Harris and Howard together, something the Mavs had never done before -- all year long?
Foolish rookie coach. Foolish rookie Coach of the Year coach.
Blame Devin Harris for not having a Hollywood girlfriend. Harris has some of the same downside that Tony Parker once had; he'll spent this summer working on the jumper, as Parker has also had to do. But he also offers much of the same upside -- he beats everyone off the dribble, he penetrates, he's fearless. ... and, unlike most NBA point guards, he's a finisher.
What does Devin lack that Parker has? A Desperate Housewife.
Classy broad, that Eva. Screaming, "Ref, you suck!'' during the game. Classy broad.
Blame a balanced Mavs attack that allows Dirk to almost be a decoy. A decoy. A Dirkcoy? Surely this wasn't the Mavs' design. But Nowitzki did say before the game, "I can't beat the San Antonio Spurs by myself,'' and well, Dirk, you certainly weren't asked to here.
"Nobody on our team (outside of Howard's 17) took more than 13 shots,'' noted sixth man Jerry Stackhouse, whose 12 shots resulted in 19 points and a three-game playoff streak during which he's averaged 20.7 points on 49-percent shooting. "That's balance.''
The UberMan is also on record as believing that he won't get 30 in a game in this series, unlike in the Round 1 series with Memphis when he scored at will. I'd be willing to bet otherwise, but if it means 21 points on 11 shots with nine rebounds and three steals, Dirk as a Dirkcoy is acceptable.
The bastards at the scorer's table cheated. They must've, because how else could the Mavs have scored 84 points in three quarters (one fewer than they managed total in the Game 1 loss) and 113 for the game without netting a bunch of assists? The scorers'-table bastards miscounted! Who's running the scoreboard over there, Katherine Harris?
Double-teaming Duncan isn't fair. Either is single-covering him. Hey, that's a ripoff! The Mavs usually only double-teamed Tim Duncan when he floored the ball. ... that shouldn't be legal! Why should a 6-11 guy have to dribble to move? And hey, Little Orphan Timmy -- and those big please-help-me! eyes -- scored 28 points on 8-of-10 shooting.
What sort of a cruel and unjust God would allow him to miss those two?
"Timmy was great," Popovich said. "He's playing Tim Duncan playoff basketball. Unfortunately he didn't get a lot of help. But that was because of the way Dallas played. I thought their defense was excellent. I thought it was great."
Manu Ginobili got a bloody lip. Bleeding? Bleeding? There's no bleeding in basketball! (Or at least there's not when you're Manu, who has made a living of cartoonishly flopping backwards at the hint of contact - contact so light he could never have possibly bled before).
Really, this injury thing is a curse against the Spurs! Duncan is obviously really, really hurt (despite scoring 31 and 28 in the first two games). Tony Parker, heck, he was listed as "questionable'' and the Spurs announced he might not even play! (He seemed healthy enough to me).
And Manu's lip! Dear Lord what about Manu's lip!?
The refs conspired against San Antonio. From Wednesday's San Antonio Express-News:
"Howard, however, was only Public Enemy 1A in the eyes of the local fans. (Ref Steve) Javie occupied the top rung for much of the game. The veteran official issued four technicals in the first half: one each to Popovich and Johnson; and two to Nick Van Exel, resulting in Van Exel's ejection. Van Exel's exit didn't hurt the Spurs as much as the one that followed. Duncan picked up his third foul on a charge he disputed and had to spend the final 6 minutes, 21 seconds of the first half on the sideline. The Spurs trailed by 11 at the time and unraveled without their best player. They went into halftime down 58-38. After Ginobili was called for a foul on Harris, despite catching an elbow in the face that left him with a mouthful of blood, the crowd serenaded Javie with a less-than-endearing chant.
Yes, indeed. The Spurs lost by 22 points because of Steve Javie.
Finley, Barry, Horry, Van Exel and Rasho can't cover anybody. And given that fact, the Spurs -- by virtue of the fact they are the defending champions -- should've been allowed a "special roster exemption'' so they could add somebody to their roster who is capable of guarding somebody on Dallas' roster.
(Nick's shot could one of them there "special exemptions,'' too. He got ejected for throwing towels onto the floor, but those towels were as close to the rim as most of the shots he's been throwing up.)
Rumor has it that if Dallas wins this best-of-seven series, the Spurs will petition the NBA to put as asterisk next to the results. Because whatever happens, it just isn't San Antonio's fault.

159 am May 10 06 Back
Wow, this is easily one of the worst articles in the playoffs so far.

Lol, when you've got guys like that writing for your team, no wonder some of ya'll post like you do. Bad influence man.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allahu akbar
Wow, this is easily one of the worst articles in the playoffs so far.

Lol, when you've got guys like that writing for your team, no wonder some of ya'll post like you do. Bad influence man.
Yeah, it is about as bad as all the Spurs, on every single foul call, complaining to no end that they don't foul and how could you, the ref, even possibly think of calling a foul on our team, the defending champions.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #40
allahu akbar
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, it is about as bad as all the Spurs, on every single foul call, complaining to no end that they don't foul and how could you, the ref, even possibly think of calling a foul on our team, the defending champions.
The difference is that you're talking about fans on their own forums complaining.
something that fans on every forum, including this one, do.

But that is an article written by a professional that alot of people could potentially read.
Very different indeed.