Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-05-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default if your favorite player left or was traded...

would you still be a mavs fan? if dirk left, would our foreign german friends still be mavs fans? if najera were traded, would you still be a mavs fan?

i would be and am. i've seen my favorite players come and go. harper, blackmon, tarpley. i've seen kidd, jackson, and mashburn come and go. donald hodge. fat lever. rodney mcray. darren morningstarr. they've all passed thru here.

the great ed o'banion.

i'm the truest definition of a MFFL.

Mav Fan For Life.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2003, 10:58 PM   #2

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

yes i would
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:02 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a Mavs fan before the Mavs drafted Blackman and Aguirre. I think I'd be OK if the Mavs trade Finley.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:11 PM   #4
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I'd still be a fan, I wasn't a big fan of Jason Kidd being traded, but I stuck with this team through out. And I will be one happy guy when i see the Mavs win that title.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Seeing the team go from Finley, to Dirk, Nash, Nick, and Fin is what being a fan is all about.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:29 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

You guys should check out Bill Simmons's Rules for Being a True Fan. He's got some good points.

In answer to your question, yes, I would. I'd be disappointed & I'd probably keep an eye on whoever it was that left & wish them the best of luck with their new team (except when they're playing the Mavs, of course), but you must stay loyal to your own team. No matter what.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: if your favorite player left or was traded...

I was a bit distraught when my man Loy Vaught was traded..but I'm still here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

you have no ideal how heartbroken i was when Tony Dumas' days as a Mav were over, and thats no joke, but hey sometimes , somethings just don't work out. But cha can help but root for the Mavs no matter who's on the floor
Old 06-05-2003, 11:39 PM   #9
one long blue sock
Golden Member

I didn't like that Harvey was traded, ecspecially after his good summer league performance. But seeing Fin dunk on him was just, so great.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:45 PM   #10
BRIAN27

BRIAN27 is on a distinguished road

I'd still be a Mavs fan. I would definitely follow Nash, Dirk, or Finley around. Can't say I'd follow Raef too much, unless he went to another team and made the all-star team. I was sad to see Robert Pack go ,and was happy to see him resurface this year.
BRIAN27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #11
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Yeah, i dont think you would have to say that about Bradley, he's always gonna stay a Mav. Not saying that thats bad...
Old 06-05-2003, 11:56 PM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I believe Harvey's a FA
think we should bring him back?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:02 AM   #13
one long blue sock
Golden Member

No Denver has made him decrepit and slow...
but he did have alot of potential leaving Dallas, like Wang of course.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #14
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I've thought about this a bit, i think i've realised i totally would still be a Mavs fan if Nash
left. I wasn't sure for awhile, because I actually became a fan of the Mavs after seeing him
play at the 2000 Olympics...so i started off a Nash fan, but now I'm definitely a Mavs fan.
That said, I would be distraught.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:19 AM   #15
Dirks Cuzin

Dirks Cuzin is on a distinguished road

The only possible way that I would stop being a Mavs fan is that Bradley was traded. Hell, I would move with Bradley
Old 06-06-2003, 12:21 AM   #16
one long blue sock
Golden Member

You might fit in his suit case.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 AM   #17
one long blue sock
Golden Member

You might fit in his suit case.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:46 AM   #18
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

That's a great article by the way Ames, thanks for that link.
I'd bee feeling some guilt relating to the fact that when I was growing up i had
supported one basketball team in Sydney, and I now support their cross town
rivals. Luckily my reasons are covered in two seperate points in 19 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
*phew*

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 02:11 AM   #19
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road

i don't know. it's sooo hard to see players go that you love. i definitely will still be a MFFL no matter what though. i'm sooo hooked. oh and i liked the rules of being a true sports fan. gotta say i'll keep up w/ the mavs forever...

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #20
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Wow...tough question. Well, not really because of course I would still be a Mavs fan, but I would definitely be bitter for awhile. I remember when they traded Kidd...it was the day after Christmas, and I had gotten a Kidd jersey the day before. Kidd was definitely my favorite player because I played pg, and I remember crying when I heard he got traded. I was so upset that I refused to go to Mavs games with my dad for weeks. But then my love for basketball and for the team took over, and I started going again. And it ended up that we got Finley out of the deal, who is so much better than Kidd ever was. Ok, well maybe not a better player, but at least a better person...and Finley is now my favorite. It did help that I switched to the two guard after the trade, so I started liking Finley. He was the best player for a long time, too, so he was an easy choice for a favorite. Anyways, sorry for being long-winded, but I would definitely still be a fan; I would still follow Finley and probably most of the other guys after they were traded though because part of liking a team is liking all of the guys on it. At least for me...I love all of the Mavs!!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:50 AM   #21
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

This is a good question. You boviously identify players with teams and vice versa. I was young and not as big a B ball fan as I am now when they traded Kidd and I had no idea anyway that he'd be as good as he is now so that didn't affect me but I think my Mav fandom would be seriously tested if they Traded Dirk.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:51 AM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I've been a Bradley fan and a Mav fan before. There's no reason why I can't do it again.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:02 AM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be a Mavs fan always. I was there at game one and will be there for the last game that I can be until the good Lord calls me home.

Mavs fan til I die!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I like players. I love the Mavericks. I can still like players after they leave.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #25
mavs_girl1987

mavs_girl1987 is on a distinguished road

I'm a new mavs fan, cuz I wasn't into NBA before, my sis was, and she got me into the whole thing....i've only seen them like 5 months play, but i really think they are good! I've only seen Dirk, nash and finley play..but i know that the mavs r good[img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img]

GO MAVS
mavs_girl1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:12 AM   #26
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

That's how I became a Mavs fan. I used to follow the Suns, but then they traded Fin and, later, Nash to the Mavs, so I started following the Mavs. Later, the Mavs got Dirk, and I made the switch complete. I'm really an NBA fan, and the Mavs are my favorite team. Sorry I'm not a die-hard fan like some of you folks here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 10:49 AM   #27
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

i that this team, as it was this past season, has a quality completely different from years past. i've also seen favorite players come and go. but whether you're watching your home team win 20 games or 50, you identify favorite players. this year, however, we had a special team. we had heart and soul, and both traits were evidenced in ways a lot of us had never seen. how many of us had seen our favorite players put up 83 points in a half? or pull out vicotories in games we had no business competing in?

i think that if fin, steve, dirk, nick, or eddie... or even bradley left the team this offseason, i'd be disheartened. i wouldn't be a fan in the same sense i was during the season. b/c i wouldn't feel so close to the team. i guess that sound ridiculous, but really, more than any other team, this one was emotional. the season was the proverbial rollercoaster of emotions... the guys who put it all out there (and no, bradley wasn't very consistent in doing that, but the other guys were) embodied that emotion. so i wouldn't be the same fan. i'd still be on board tho, to see where things go.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:58 AM   #28
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

A better question is this:

If Mark Cuban went temporarily insane and traded the entire Mavericks roster for the Portland Trailblazers entire roster, would you root for the Mavericks or the Trailblazers?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #29
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

The reason I love this team so much is because the players seem like decent human beings. I think it would be harder to love a team made up of thugs like the Trailblazers. My favorite player is Raef, but that is only because of his looks. If he leaves, the team would actually be better. So, to answer the question, yes I would still be a die-hard Mavs fan if my favorite player left. I may shed a tear or two, but then I would get over it.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:43 PM   #30
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
if your favorite player left or was traded...would you still be a mavs fan?
This question has been in my head for 3 years without a reasonable answer. But I have 3 more years to think about it.

Another question that bothers me sometimes is, who feels more passion for the team, the one who has a country(state, city)man playing there, or the one who hasn't but lives there.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #31
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I've been a Mavs fan before the Mavs drafted Blackman and Aguirre.

Same here, MFFL....and I'll always be a Mavs fan. (At least until Coppell gets a NBA team !)
Old 06-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #32
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have made it through many a loss to the Mavs so I know I could make it through the loss of anybody on our roster (even #44)...

I made it through the tragic loss of Christian Laettner so I can probably make it through anything else...
Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Yeah if we got an upgrade like Duncan and Rose. If we got better.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #34
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I like players. I love the Mavericks. I can still like players after they leave.

My sentiments exactly.
Remember the 3 J's I liked them, now they're all gone. My Favorite team: Dallas Mavericks. My favorite player: It changes from time to time.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:09 PM   #35
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

I think a more interesting question would be: if the player you most hated in the NBA got traded to the Mavs, would you start to like him?

Personally, i dont think there is a player that i would not start to like if he joined the maves. I have hated Karl Malone my whole life, but the rumors of him going to the mavs is making my thinking turn around.

Worst case scenario: we sign somebody and everyone gets all pumped up, and next season all chemistry is destroyed.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, if my least favorite player became a mav would i start to like them?

No

Example 1 - Juwan Howard
Example 2 - Nick Van Exel
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #37

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

NVE is one of your least favorite players murph?

couldnt tell
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #38
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
I think a more interesting question would be: if the player you most hated in the NBA got traded to the Mavs, would you start to like him?
That is a good question. I would have to say my LEAST favorite player is Vlade Divac. I can't stand the guy. If he was a Mav, I would still love the Mavs, but I don't think I could ever like him. Interesting question though.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #39
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

WOW! you must be some kind of psychic raefformvp, i was forgetting about divac when i asked the question. I dont think i could like him either.

Pretty much the kings as a whole just make me want to vomit.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #40
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I would be a fan of lakers if dirk were to be traded. If he leaves himself then I would still remain a mavs fan.