Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road
Default NJ Trade???

Has anyone heard the details on the rumor of a trade with the Net's involving Jamison?

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:NJ Trade???

As far as I can tell, a New Jersey area paper was talking about directions the Nets could take in this offseason. Jamison's name was mentioned as someone the Nets might be interested trading for - IF talks with Martin went bad.

It wasn't a rumor as much as it was an idea about a player that paper perceived to be available this offseason.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I read the article, too. DDH is correct. It said the Nets could trade for Jamison if talks with Kmart went south. However, it also listed a half-dozen or so other players the nets could go after.

I will go on the record saying that I think a deal with the Nets makes sense for both sides. The Nets want to shake up their roster and are bummed out about a second-round exit.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

P.S. They also have a serious need for decent perimeter shooting. I think we have ample supply of that.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
P.S. They also have a serious need for decent perimeter shooting. I think we have ample supply of that.
That's funny. I actually felt like the perimter shooting of this team wasn't there as much. Dirk, Nash, Finley,and Delk can shoot, but who else?

A deal with the Nets does make some sense, but I don't know that it will happen. If NJ wants to pay someone big money, they can just pay Kenyon. So, the only way Dallas gets him is if the Mavs agree to take back even more junk.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
That's funny. I actually felt like the perimter shooting of this team wasn't there as much. Dirk, Nash, Finley,and Delk can shoot, but who else?

A deal with the Nets does make some sense, but I don't know that it will happen. If NJ wants to pay someone big money, they can just pay Kenyon. So, the only way Dallas gets him is if the Mavs agree to take back even more junk.
Maybe we get Zo after all!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I could see a Walker/Fortson for Martin/Zo/filler (due to BYC, etc) trade happening. Not highly likely, but possible. I guess you could substitue Jamison for Walker, but I just don't think NJ does it. If they are going to max someone out, I would expect them to go ahead and max out Martin.

NJ standpoint: problems resigning Martin, Walker contract expires, get rid of Zo's contract, Fortson provides some rebounding loss of KM.

Dal standpoint: move Walker/Fortson who don't seem to be fits for Martin.

Maybe......but I wouldn't think likely.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

nice trade, it would be nicer if zo could play but then maybe the trade wouldnt happen. im not too sure about taking on mourning, i think we've had enough with players who have good contracts but dont play (ie tariq)
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #9
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I can see NJ having interests in Jamison if Martin's contract discussions come to a halt. Why not offer Jamison/Delk for a signed Martin. Kenyon would bring a nice balance to this lineup and would bring some much needed help with his mor physical style of play. If we can somehow swing Kenyon for Jamison+filler AND get rif of Walker for some more frontline help it would be a NICE offseason.

lineup?

Nash
Finley
Martin
Nowitzki
??????? (Davis)
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
I can see NJ having interests in Jamison if Martin's contract discussions come to a halt. Why not offer Jamison/Delk for a signed Martin. Kenyon would bring a nice balance to this lineup and would bring some much needed help with his mor physical style of play. If we can somehow swing Kenyon for Jamison+filler AND get rif of Walker for some more frontline help it would be a NICE offseason.

lineup?

Nash
Finley
Martin
Nowitzki
??????? (Davis)
If they would do it, then fine. I just don't see them wanting Jamison at 4 more years max. If they are going to pay the max, why not pay Martin? Walker makes more sense because his contract is coming off the books. If Dallas gives up Jamison, why would they take back Zo's contract as well from a Dallas perspective? If they can get Martin/Zo for Jamison/Fortson ---- and then get Chandler/Davis for Walker/Delk --- I would agree "good offseason". I just don't see it happening though from a NJ perspective. I think they can get more out of Martin than that.

Nash/Daniels/Stefannson
Finley/Daniels
Martin/Howard
Nowitzki/Martin/Najera
Chandler/Davis/Bradley

IR: TAW, Zo
Left of MLE, LLE: for a backup guard and/or Ostertag

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #11
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

nice lineup and we would still have the three headed center but this time we'll have more sucess this time because we have a center for almost evryteam we will play
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #12
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: NJ Trade???

The ideas such as PlayerX "PLUS FILLER" for Martin are not workable when both teams are over the cap. You cant just toss in "filler" on one side or the other to make the thing legal. Getting Martin in a trade would be almost impossible, due to Base Year issues (assuming he gets a big raise, which is the only reason he would be traded).
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
The ideas such as PlayerX "PLUS FILLER" for Martin are not workable when both teams are over the cap. You cant just toss in "filler" on one side or the other to make the thing legal. Getting Martin in a trade would be almost impossible, due to Base Year issues (assuming he gets a big raise, which is the only reason he would be traded).
OK PE here's a cap question for you. If we got a trade exemption, for say Jamison by letting Charlotte pick him, could we not then swing a Walker and Martin trade with filler?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think PE is saying that in a scenario like that, NJ is the team that would need the trade exception, because due to the Base Year issues, Martin's salary for cap purposes is something like half of his actual salary. So to trade a guy like that would be tough because it would be hard to equal value in return and still match cap figures.

But PE, isn't there amost ALWAYS a way to make these trades work, if you are willing to add enough extra players? I so often hear you say no way to a trade, because of cap issues. But can't you almost always find some garbage to add to the deal to even things out?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: NJ Trade???

CHUM, you cant garbage/filler a two way trade with a big base year leap, with 2 teams over the cap (such as this deal)...unless you trade about the whole roster. Then it becomes a very different trade than "Jamison for Martin"

And you are quite correct about the fact that NEW JERSEY would be the ones who need to own a trade exception, to get around base year issues and trade Martin for Jamison.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand, PE, about "trading the whole roster." Couldn't the Nets just toss one player into the deal, to make the figures work? Somebody like a Wahad, whose cap figure was high but had no on-the-court value? What, do they have nobody like that? I'm just not sure I understand why this trade is a no-go without trading rosters.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:11 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't understand, PE, about "trading the whole roster." Couldn't the Nets just toss one player into the deal, to make the figures work? Somebody like a Wahad, whose cap figure was high but had no on-the-court value? What, do they have nobody like that? I'm just not sure I understand why this trade is a no-go without trading rosters.
I hate to see you guys struggling to grasp whether or not this is a feasible idea, and it is... Martin is definitely worth more in the open market than Jamison though, so to make it work, Dallas would have to take back a bad contract to make NJ bite. I think this trade would work out for everyone:

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Kenyon Martin (16.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +9.9 ppg, +5.5 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

New Jersey trades: PF Kenyon Martin (16.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
New Jersey receives: SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -9.9 ppg, -5.5 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and New Jersey being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and New Jersey had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

That's pretty much the kind of scenario I was thinking about...