Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #1281
Mah23

Mah23 will become famous soon enough

How come we obtain Jkidd and still run the iso? Pick and Rolls aren't in Avery's 1 play offense...
Mah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #1282
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mah23
How come we obtain Jkidd and still run the iso? Pick and Rolls aren't in Avery's 1 play offense...
this is a question many of us are asking to one degree or another....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #1283
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #1284
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you're saying that people who questioned this trade from day 1 are smart? Because they knew nothing would change? Because they knew that they'd be "different, not better" ???

Well I'll just have to find someone like that.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #1285
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I still contest the "different not better" campaign and feel that it is a bandwagon that will ultimately be left of no one at the helm....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #1286
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Until you can contest it with empirical evidence, it will continue onward to a brave new early off-season.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #1287
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Until you can contest it with empirical evidence, it will continue onward to a brave new early off-season.
my eyes are rather empirical...and they tell me this team has way more current upside than the Harris led Mavs. Its all I need for now...but you'll have you're proof soon enough. Lets not pretend like we didn't have our share of heartbreakers and losses to terrible eastern teams under Harris.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #1288
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

All right, screw this pessimism!

*lifts fallen soldiers and plants flag of optimism into ground*

We win on Thursday and all will be right. We will have stopped the green machine that has won B2B's at the Champ's house and the 22er's.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #1289
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof

We win on Thursday and all will be right. We will have stopped the green machine that has won B2B's at the Champ's house and the 22er's.
F the C's. We better beat the Spurs.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #1290
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

we better beat both
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #1291
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:

I.............love....................you

*lift hand in hopes of being saved by rabbit's incredible personal rejection of all things objective*

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #1292
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

REP
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #1293
sike
The Preacha

at least this is good for the Mavs... http://www.nba.com/games/20080318/GSWSAC/boxscore.html

Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #1294
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

new orleans takes the lead in the west tonight by beating the roquettes.book it.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #1295
KingCrunch

KingCrunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
It wasn't heart that the Mavs lacked in the first half. Stack had tons of heart in that first half when he sucked donkey balls. So did Howard. They had heart.

Heart wasn't the problem. Playing your bench and letting them jump all over you because of it was the problem. In the last two minutes of the first quarter and second quarter... the Mavs got beat in both instances. Why? The bench was in....
What? The bench was in during the run in the 3rd and 4th, so it was not the bench to blame, at least not george, allen (great 4th actions) and the jet. it was confusion on offense, lack of defense, bad coaching, isolations as medicine against everything and stuff...

<<Deutschlands größtes Basketball-Netzwerk>>
KingCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #1296
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

While our secondary unit wasn´t blamed for all and everything, I still don´t see why Avery is so keen on starting the 2nd quarter without a single starter. That´s just self-loving mastermindness of a Noob Coach. I mean - we KNOW it doesnt work.

We took 7 of the 21 half quarter deficit in like 4 or 5 minutes between the late 1st and early 2nd quarter, and once you are giving an opponent Momentum you don´t have to wonder when he takes it and curses to a big lead.

That and the Isolation thing is mind boggling. The Kidd trade changed our team from having a Guard problem to having an obvious coach problem. I´d say that is an upside, yet, it might still be a fatal flaw.

Maybe we can get Avery to foul out in key games for a double tech within the first quarter? He could claim to try to get the team fired up, and by doing it he might solve the biggest problem aswell ... I´d swallow those two tech free throws every single game ...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #1297
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Until Avery proves otherwise, I don't see how anyone can continue to dismiss Flac's stance.

I still agree that the POTENTIAL is much greater with Kidd, but good grief, we're now 0-6 against good teams since aquiring Kidd, and the offense against quality teams look ridiculous.

Even if we hit a three at the buzzer last night for the win, that's just not an acceptable performance against that team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-19-2008 at 07:35 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #1298
sike
The Preacha

From Art Gracia...highlighted the section I found most telling...

The rally shook the foundation of the American Airlines Center. The call sucked all the life out of the building, not to mention it infuriated the Mavericks sideline.

One call does not a game make, so pinning the 102-100 defeat to the Los Angeles Lakers on a whistle against Jerry Stackhouse with less than 30 seconds left wasn’t fair. The Mavs know they dug themselves into a hole that they almost had no right climbing out of Tuesday night.

So when Dirk Nowitzki’s fumbling desperation 3-pointer at the buzzer, off a low inbounds pass from Josh Howard, failed to draw iron, the Mavs had no one to blame but themselves. And that’s exactly what they did.

“We made a run at it, even though it’s somewhat Fool’s Gold,” Stackhouse said. “We didn’t start the game off in the first half as we have in this last little stretch where we were playing – moving the ball, sharing the ball. This game was a game of individual matchups and that’s not how we’ve been playing, and it caught up with us.”

The Pacific Division-leading Lakers (46-21) rebounded from a tough loss at Houston by taking control of the pivotal contest between Western Conference contenders in the first half. Kobe Bryant led the way early and Los Angeles built as much as a 25-point lead in the third quarter.

The Mavs (44-24) were fresh off a five-game winning streak against low-rent teams from the Eastern Conference. Nevertheless, they felt good about their progress heading into a stretch of three straight home games against bona-fide heavyweights.

The last time the Mavs faced a stretch this daunting, they dropped nail-biters to San Antonio, these same Lakers and Utah. This was supposed to be the time to show how far they’ve come since dealing for Jason Kidd.

Instead, they are questioning why they came out with no energy on such an important stage. Less than two weeks after scoring 52 in the 108-104 overtime win, Bryant scored 20 in the first half and the visitors took a 59-38 lead into the locker room. The Mavs were stagnant with the ball, settling for isolations and post-ups, and shooting just 33 percent.

“It wasn’t pretty there in first half,” Nowitzki said. “We really had nothing going. We couldn’t get doing offensively and couldn’t stop them either. That’s a bad combination.”

The Mavs turned that combo completely on its ear midway through the third period. Down 76-51, the “light switched on.” Avery Johnson went to a small, hustling lineup that included Devean George, Tyronn Lue and Malik Allen looking for any spark.

With the bench stepping up, and Nowitzki and Jason Terry beginning to attack the basket and get to the line, the Lakers’ lead began to give. Terry finished the third by grabbing a defensive rebound with 2.7 seconds left in the period before frantically raced up the floor and pulling up in front of Sasha Vujacic to bank home a 27-footer at the buzzer.

The 14-1 run to close out the period left the Mavs within striking distance down 77-65. The momentum spilled into the fourth. George opened the period with a two-handed slam. Nowitzki’s 3 from the wing at the 10:36 mark cut it to 79-72. Terry’s two free throws a minute later made it a five-point game. The once dormant crowd of 20,534 was on its feet.

“We showed some heart and we finally got the crowd involved,” said Nowitzki, who scored a game-high 35. “They were booing a little in the first half. We finally showed some energy and were hustling.”

Despite a excellent job of denying Bryant (29 points) in the second half – George and Howard did much of the individual work – the Lakers kept some breathing room thanks mostly to three rainbow 3-pointers from Vladimir Radmanovic. Nursing a 98-91 lead with 1:12 to go, Nowitzki hit two 3s in a span of 24 seconds to cut the deficit to 98-97 with 41.3 seconds left.

Radmanovic misfired on the ensuing possession and the Mavs thought they cleared the rebound to set up a go-ahead shot. A whistle had sounded. Stackhouse was called for an over-the-back foul against Lamar Odom with 29.8 on the clock. Odom made both free throws.

“I just jumped up and got the ball at its highest point,” Stackhouse said. “Stuff was happening all night.”

Nowitzki added: “Tough, tough call, but I feel in a game like that it always evens out.”

Kidd missed a leaning 3-pointer from the corner with Bryant closing fast on the next possession. Terry (19 points) did follow with a 3-pointer with 4.9 seconds left to make it 101-100. After one free throw from Derek Fisher, the Mavs had the ball in the Lakers’ end with 4.1 showing.

Nowitzki was supposed to come of a triple-screen, but the play wasn’t executed properly and he mishandled the pass from Howard. Without time to make a move, he fired up a prayer that wasn’t answered.

The NBA-leading Celtics are next up on Thursday. Boston is one step away from a rare Texas Triangle sweep after taking care of San Antonio and Houston on consecutive nights.

The Mavs had a chance to pull ahead of the Spurs in the Western Conference. San Antonio visits the AAC on Sunday. The Lakers, who were without Pau Gasol, have now beaten Dallas twice this month.The Mavs are 0-6 against winning teams since acquiring Kidd.

“It’s not the time now to hand our heads and give up,” Nowitzki said. “All you have to do is keep fighting, keep swinging and still get better on the run, and hopefully get over the top.”

As disappointed as he was with his team’s performance for 2 ½ quarters, Johnson echoed those sentiments.

“My confidence is not shaken,” he said. “I think more than anything, it showed what we can do when we play the right way. Had we gotten blown out, when they had us by 22, had they kept that lead, I think we would have been severely disappointed.

“We are disappointed because we don’t like coming in second. But again, every game is a playoff game and they played it early on more like they were playing for their basketball lives and we didn’t.”

link

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #1299
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
While our secondary unit wasn´t blamed for all and everything, I still don´t see why Avery is so keen on starting the 2nd quarter without a single starter. That´s just self-loving mastermindness of a Noob Coach. I mean - we KNOW it doesnt work.

We took 7 of the 21 half quarter deficit in like 4 or 5 minutes between the late 1st and early 2nd quarter, and once you are giving an opponent Momentum you don´t have to wonder when he takes it and curses to a big lead.

That and the Isolation thing is mind boggling. The Kidd trade changed our team from having a Guard problem to having an obvious coach problem. I´d say that is an upside, yet, it might still be a fatal flaw.

Maybe we can get Avery to foul out in key games for a double tech within the first quarter? He could claim to try to get the team fired up, and by doing it he might solve the biggest problem aswell ... I´d swallow those two tech free throws every single game ...
i said that during the game. we will never win a game against a good team in which jet lue stack bass allen lineup sees important minutes. that lineup is just too bad.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #1300
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I did seem some good things last night:

1)Better defense on Kobe in the second half (only 9 pts).
2)Multiple players going to the basket in the second half and drawing fouls/getting layups.
3)Good 3 pt shooting during crunch time.
4)Tyronn Lue looks like a decent/very good backup PG.
5)A team that wouldn't quit.
6)Avery going away from his predetermined rotations and sticking with a lineup that was working in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
7)Even though I am no fan of small ball it worked last night (without Bass). In fact, the lineup used during the comeback effectively put Turiaf on the bench because there was no one for him to guard.
8)Lakers only scored 43 pts in the second half. This team CAN play defense if they choose to.
9)Dirk gets 5 blocks!
10) Kidd was on the court in the final minutes of the game. It's true that he was not part of the final play but then again you could argue this is progress(?).
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #1301
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I did seem some good things last night:

1)Better defense on Kobe in the second half (only 9 pts).
2)Multiple players going to the basket in the second half and drawing fouls/getting layups.
3)Good 3 pt shooting during crunch time.
4)Tyronn Lue looks like a decent/very good backup PG.
5)A team that wouldn't quit.
6)Avery going away from his predetermined rotations and sticking with a lineup that was working in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
7)Even though I am no fan of small ball it worked last night (without Bass). In fact, the lineup used during the comeback effectively put Turiaf on the bench because there was no one for him to guard.
8)Lakers only scored 43 pts in the second half. This team CAN play defense if they choose to.
9)Dirk gets 5 blocks!
10) Kidd was on the court in the final minutes of the game. It's true that he was not part of the final play but then again you could argue this is progress(?).
10 reasons we can beat the Lakers in a 7-game series!

(and now we know how Tyronn Lue looks against them...)

Avery has the big picture in mind - losing this game won't matter as long as we make the playoffs and understand how to beat a team like LA when we face them again...

The 8th seed is just as good as the 1st when you know how to beat your opponent... Just ask Nellie!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-19-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #1302
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
When a team consistently doesn't get up for big games....that is on the coach.

When a team's stars are not properly used/managed/utilized...that is on the coach.

I love the talent of this team...I do not like the coaching strategy of this team.

damn right. that seems to be our problem all the freaking time bro.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #1303
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Their destiny lies in the hands of the NBA Officials and Upper NBA Management.

Say what you will about the players and/or the coach...ultimately they will not succeed at the hands of Mark Cuban.

Hey great guy, great for the Mavs over the past several years...but the NBA will never allow Cuban to win a Championship...thus the beat goes on...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote