Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #81
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
1) I'm lazy

2) Mavs game tonight

3) My boss is out sick today.

It really isn't even fair.
The bad news is I am the boss.....

true story, fifteen minutes ago I was interupted from my sports-jonesing....I'm pretty sure I gave the go ahead to a supervisor to fire somebody.

Kinda sad that somebody may lose their job because I didn't adequately consider matters in my haste to return to sports-jonesing.

Kinda sad, but f--- it.

Go Mavs!

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-23-2011 at 11:38 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #82
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

"Superior Thunder," hahahaha.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #83
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Game 4 provides stiff test of OKC's resolve in playoffs

Quote:
Normally an easy interview with witty replies and an easy smile, two-time NBA scoring champion Kevin Durant wore a scowl instead. He answered questions with brief, two and three word answers and refused to elaborate on any details about what was discussed in Sunday's film session.

"We just don't want to lose," said Durant, who insists he will be the aggressor against Mavericks defenders that took the fight to him in his 7-for-22 shooting effort in Game 3.

"It's simple," Durant said. "[I've got to] be more aggressive. Be more aggressive before and after I get the ball. We've got to be first hitters. We've got to come out more aggressive no matter what. And that starts with me."
Tonight, the Thunder will be playing frustrated and desperate. Hopefully the Mavs will take advantage.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #84
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folterkammer View Post
Damn..that was nuts..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan View Post
If the discrepancy is that bad it will be because the action is really fast and refs aren't perfect....according to Thunderfan
Well 200 to 1 would be a little different. I give refs the benefit of the doubt. It's not an easy job. No two games are called alike. You have to adjust to how the game is being called I think. As with anything else, you have your shady characters - ie the ref with the gambling problem, etc, but that's just life. The best team usually prevails, especially in a 7 game series. The refs will not prevent the best team from taking home a title.
thunderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #86
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfan View Post
The refs will not prevent the best team from taking home a title.
2006 Mavs say hello.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #87
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jury duty sucks!! Go Mavs! Redeem this day!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #88
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Go Mavs!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #89
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well 200 to 1 would be a little different. I give refs the benefit of the doubt. It's not an easy job. No two games are called alike. You have to adjust to how the game is being called I think. As with anything else, you have your shady characters - ie the ref with the gambling problem, etc, but that's just life. The best team usually prevails, especially in a 7 game series. The refs will not prevent the best team from taking home a title.

What about 3 to 1? Is that different?
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #90
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
You sound like someone who didn't watch much basketball before 2008.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #91
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What about 3 to 1? Is that different?
Dallas is 21st in the NBA during the regular season in FG attempts from 3-9 feet. Dallas is 28th in the NBA during the regular season in FG attemps inside 3feet. Dallas is 26th in the NBA during the regular season in FT attempts per game. Dallas is a perimeter jump shooting team. OKC generally is not a good outside jumpshooting team. As a result, they generally have to use their speed and quickness to get to the rim. The drastically different way in which these two teams play is going to lend itself to a disparity at the free throw line. How is this not obvious to anyone?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #92
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dallas is 21st in the NBA during the regular season in FG attempts from 3-9 feet. Dallas is 28th in the NBA during the regular season in FG attemps inside 3feet. Dallas is 26th in the NBA during the regular season in FT attempts per game. Dallas is a perimeter jump shooting team. OKC generally is not a good outside jumpshooting team. As a result, they generally have to use their speed and quickness to get to the rim. The drastically different way in which these two teams play is going to lend itself to a disparity at the free throw line. How is this not obvious to anyone?
This isn't the regular season - Dallas has been attacking the paint with regularity in the playoffs, especially Dirk.

We're being aggressive, but the refs aren't rewarding us for it like they should.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #93
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
This isn't the regular season - Dallas has been attacking the paint with regularity in the playoffs, especially Dirk.

We're being aggressive, but the refs aren't rewarding us for it like they should.
They don't have the stats for the playoffs. I would venture to guess they are consistent with how they played in the regular season. A team doesn't play 82 games and then get to the playoffs and revamp its offense and go away from what got them to the playoffs in the first place.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

More importantly, we've been keeping opponents off the free throw line all year.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #95
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I remember D. Crawford officiating Game 3 against the Spuds last year, but Game 4 was the true officiating debacle when McDyess was allowed to grope and claw and yank and shove and molest Dirk all he wanted.

Edit: I just looked it up. Turns out both Bob Delaney and Scott Foster officiated both Game 4 of that series and Game 3 of this one.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 05-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #96
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Business trip is over... couldn't watch game 2 & 3, but now I'll be back on board

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #97
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Stop using rankings.

During the regular season OKC averaged 29.3 FT per game. DAL averaged 22.6. Doesn't seem like a 3:1 ratio to me.

In fact it is 1.29:1 ratio. Given this ratio (since you want to use the regular season stats to explain absurdity ) DAL should have received 28 free throws in game 3.

That is 16 more than what they "earned." If they hit 13 of the 16 we win by 19.

Just for reference, in game 1 the ratio was 1.19:1 in favor of OKC (which is right at the regular season average). Game 2 was 1.08:1 in favor of OKC. This is why people said nothing after the first 2 games and had a LOT to say after game 3.

1.19:1
1.08:1
3:1
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #98
thunderfan

Quote:
Stop using rankings.

During the regular season OKC averaged 29.3 FT per game. DAL averaged 22.6. Doesn't seem like a 3:1 ratio to me.

In fact it is 1.29:1 ratio. Given this ratio (since you want to use the regular season stats to explain absurdity ) DAL should have received 28 free throws in game 3.

That is 16 more than what they "earned." If they hit 13 of the 16 we win by 19.

Just for reference, in game 1 the ratio was 1.19:1 in favor of OKC (which is right at the regular season average). Game 2 was 1.08:1 in favor of OKC. This is why people said nothing after the first 2 games and had a LOT to say after game 3.

1.19:1
1.08:1
3:1
It's 1 game. You need a larger sample size for statistics to have any significance. Thus, my use of the regular season - large sample size - makes the statistics more meaningful. There's always those games that are above and beyond the norm.

I'm not using rankings, I'm using statistics. You sort these statistics to see how one team ranks among its peers. This gives you an indication of the way in which a team operates on the court.

Last edited by thunderfan; 05-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #99
MascisMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I remember D. Crawford officiating Game 3 against the Spuds last year, but Game 4 was the true officiating debacle when McDyess was allowed to grope and claw and yank and shove and molest Dirk all he wanted.

Edit: I just looked it up. Turns out both Bob Delaney and Scott Foster officiated both Game 4 of that series and Game 3 of this one.
Scott Foster also officiated game 5 of OKC/DEN when OKC shot 42 free throws to DEN's 21.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #100
thunderfan

Where are you getting 3:1? Okc took 36 to Dallas's 18 free throws in game 3, right?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #101
MascisMan

Quote:
It's 1 game. You need a larger sample size for statistics to have any significance. Thus, my use of the regular season - large sample size - makes the statistics more meaningful. There's always those games that are above and beyond the norm.

I'm not using rankings, I'm using statistics. You sort these statistics to see how one team ranks among its peers. This gives you an indication of the way in which a team operates on the court.
I used the season statistics as well to prove how strange and absurd game 3 was....am I missing something? Are you saying game 3 was not abnormal?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #102
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Where are you getting 3:1? Okc took 36 to Dallas's 18 free throws in game 3, right?
Six were off intentional fouls. Nice try.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #103
MascisMan

Quote:
Wrong. Dallas took 12 earned free throws (the last 6 were in the last minute when OKC was forced to foul, 2 from Terry, 2 from Kidd, 2 from Dirk). The final number of 18 is inaccurately padded.

Just like how Dirk's free throw number from game 1 (that some people thought was absurd) was actually 20 (not 24). Four were given to him when OKC had to foul. So really, Dirk had 20, Durant had 19, and Westbrook had 18.

Last edited by MascisMan; 05-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #104
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Six were off intentional fouls. Nice try.

It wasn't a "try". It was a simple question. I was not thinking of the intentional fouls.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #105
thunderfan

Quote:
Wrong. Dallas took 12 earned free throws (the last 6 were in the last minute when OKC was forced to foul, 2 from Terry, 2 from Kidd, 2 from Dirk). The final number of 18 is inaccurately padded.
Ok, got it. Yes, Game 3 was out of the ordinary. It happens. You could say that OKC was shooting so piss poor and Dallas was pressuring them so well on the perimeter, that driving was their only option to put points on the board.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #106
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
The bad news is I am the boss.....

true story, fifteen minutes ago I was interupted from my sports-jonesing....I'm pretty sure I gave the go ahead to a supervisor to fire somebody.

Kinda sad that somebody may lose their job because I didn't adequately consider matters in my haste to return to sports-jonesing.

Kinda sad, but f--- it.

Go Mavs!
I was just let go thanks to you.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #107
MascisMan

Quote:
Ok, got it. Yes, Game 3 was out of the ordinary. It happens. You could say that OKC was shooting so piss poor and Dallas was pressuring them so well on the perimeter, that driving was their only option to put points on the board.

Um, yeah, I guess that is one thing that you could say.

Last edited by MascisMan; 05-23-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #108
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Has thunderfan realized she's on a Mavs board yet?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 05-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #109
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

nm, you finally figured it out.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 05-23-2011 at 01:47 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #110
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is the WCF, not the regular season buddy.

You can GTFO now.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #111
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Let's cook the OKC kids as Puerto Rican blood sausages (morcillas)!
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #112
MascisMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Let's cook the OKC kids as Puerto Rican blood sausages (morcillas)!

thats gross
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #113
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
This is the WCF, not the regular season buddy.

You can GTFO now.

I'm completely unaffected by anything anyone has to say to me. I choose not to show people that kind of disrespect. I'm sorry you have to reduce yourself to that simply because I have different viewpoints and like a different basketball team. Ignored.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #114
MascisMan

Quote:
I'm completely unaffected by anything anyone has to say to me. I choose not to show people that kind of disrespect. I'm sorry you have to reduce yourself to that simply because I have different viewpoints and like a different basketball team. Ignored.
At least your post count is up now
Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #115
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Every other post from this thunder guy is some sort of bizarre self-affirmance. Just weird stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #116
thunderfan

Well I'll let this rest. Enjoy the game.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #117
thunderfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Every other post from this thunder guy is some sort of bizarre self-affirmance. Just weird stuff.
Hmm. I'm really really not someone that's into myself. Pretty much an anassuming, modest person. I guess I say some weird crap though, I don't know.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #118
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Thunderguy sure do know how to fuck up a GDT....messed up the last GDT....out of all the threads to spew thunder nonsense in

Seriously the GDT is like contains our gameday mojo and is considered to be very sacred

Last edited by Mav Addict; 05-23-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #119
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hmm. I'm really really not someone that's into myself. Pretty much an anassuming, modest person. I guess I say some weird crap though, I don't know.
And yet you post again after saying you will let it rest. Typical troll you are.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #120
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderpoon View Post
Relative rankings |= raw numbers.

To the extent the regular season is at all indicative of what we might expect to find in the post-season, the ratio of fta / fga is indicative of the amount of time a team spends driving and drawing contact versus shooting pull-up jumpers. There are other factors, yes, but this is an nba fan forum and I have a full-time job where I have to pretend like I'm working.

This regular season Dallas shot 6463 field goal attempts and 1850 ftas, a ratio of .286 fta / fga; OKC shot 6656 field goals and 2401 ftas, a ratio of 0.363 ftas / fga.

Over the course of the series Dallas and OKC have shot 235 and 216 field goals, respectively. Using their regular seasons as a bench mark we'd expect Dallas and OKC to have shot 67 and 78 ft's respectively.

Let's repeat this: allowing for differences in style, one would expect the Mavs to have shot 67 fts and OKC 78 thus far in the series. In fact, the Mavs have shot 78 (+11) and the Thunder 105 (+27!!!). Advantage thunder, by 16 free throws. At any 82% free throw clip, you're talking about a 13 to 14 point advantage for the Thunder.

But wait, that's not all.....

While OKC may have been the better team at getting to the line, Dallas is actually the better team at not letting the opposition get to the line (Dallas Opposition = 0.275 ftas / fga, OKC Opposition = 0.307). At these rates we'd expect Dallas to have shot 72 free throws and OKC to have 59 -- again, the actual free throws relative to expected from regular season stats tilts substantially in the favor of OKC.

But wait! There's even more...

These teams did meet in the regular season, and while the personnel may have changed some the styles of play haven't. In three games the Mavs shot fts at a rate of 0.266 per fga and OKC shot fts at a rate of 0.291 fts per fga.

Those rates would translate to ft attempts of 63 for dallas and 63 (!) for OKC. Again, actuals in the series are a big advantage for OKC after allowing for disparities in the style of play.

So, to answer your question:

Quote:
The drastically different way in which these two teams play is going to lend itself to a disparity at the free throw line. How is this not obvious to anyone?
It is obvious that differences in style of play lead to disparities in free throw attempts. Equally obvious is that the difference is far greater than can be explained differences in playing styles. You would be able to recognize this if you weren't such an obtuse homerfied homosexualized troll.

/reshun

Tags
chum is smarter than you, dallas vs pkc, suck it thunderfan, thunderfluff