Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Carter to sign with the Jets

QUARTERBACK

Carter reportedly to sign with Jets

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

irving - Former Cowboys starting quarterback Quincy Carter is close to signing a one-year deal with the Jets to back up Chad Pennington, a source said.

Carter flew to New York on Monday night and will talk more with Jets officials today. Carter is reportedly negotiating a one-year deal for "a little more than $500,000."

Carter, who was released by the Cowboys five days into training camp, was unavailable for comment. His agent, Eugene Parker, declined comment.

It is unknown how Carter's signing with the Jets would affect the special master proceeding the NFL Players Association has filed against the Cowboys, contending that he was wrongfully terminated.

But if Carter signs, he is still subject to being fined four game checks for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Carter is in the process of appealing that fine, a source said.

Carter faces a four-game suspension if he tests positive again.

With two unproven quarterbacks, Brooks Bollinger and Ricky Ray, behind Pennington, the Jets apparently are ready to take a chance on Carter, who would be swapping jobs with Cowboys starter Vinny Testaverde.

Before signing with the Cowboys in the off-season, Testaverde served as Pennington's backup the past two years. He became the starter in Dallas after Carter was cut.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Carter to sign with the Jets

it was just on espn radio....Q just said he was leave the past in the past...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Carter to sign with the Jets

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
it was just on espn radio....Q just said he was leave the past in the past...
I don't blame him. I'm not at home right now so I didn't get to hear what he said on the radio. What else was said?

1996-2005
Old 08-24-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

This is good for Quincy... he will get to live in NYC where there is an endless supply of drugs. Good fit.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Obviously, this is some kind of joke. Clearly the Jets could acquire any one of the hundreds of QB's that people claimed was better than Quincy.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Obviously, this is some kind of joke. Clearly the Jets could acquire any one of the hundreds of QB's that people claimed was better than Quincy.

I'm trying to figure out why the Jet's didn't hang onto Vinny. He is better than Quincy ya know.

1996-2005
Old 08-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
This is good for Quincy... he will get to live in NYC where there is an endless supply of drugs. Good fit.
I agree. New York should be a great place for Quincy to be able to continue living, "The Lifestyle of a Superstar Quarterback" (as Q-Caine put it in the DMN, three days before Parcells put his ass back on the street).
Old 08-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Q-caine in New York City?

Man....the gross product of coke dealers and hookers just spiked upwards.

Why would the Jets want a no talent crack addict as a QB though is beyond me.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out why the Jet's didn't hang onto Vinny. He is better than Quincy ya know.
Vinny is smarter and more experienced. Q-caine is a better athlete. In the QB spot, you always go with intelligence and experience over crack-stupored ignorant athletes.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would the Jets want a no talent crack addict as a QB though is beyond me.
For marketing purposes?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

And for the record.....Q-caine and Superstar should never be used in the same sentence unless the sentence starts off, "Superstar NFL quarterback Joe Montana said that Q-caine is an ignorant dumbass" or somesuch.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cocaine Quincy: Down and Out in New York City
Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Great point, Dooby.

Doc, Evil, and Fin...you are resorting to rather low blows. What happened to all the "if he has a drug problem, I hope he finds help" talk that was in the other thread?

I wish the man the best. I don't why anyone wouldn't. You almost act as though he wronged you or something.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Great point, Dooby.

Doc, Evil, and Fin...you are resorting to rather low blows. What happened to all the "if he has a drug problem, I hope he finds help" talk that was in the other thread?

I wish the man the best. I don't why anyone wouldn't. You almost act as though he wronged you or something.
I wish him the best. I hope he beats his habit. I'm not sure why people are still bashing him but there's nothign anyone can do about it. Just ignore it like I try to do.

1996-2005
Old 08-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, it doesn't look like cocaine abuse was his real problem, so I'm not going to feel bad about making fun of him now. In my opinion, Quincy let down the team by not handling the prospect of competing for his starting job very well, and he let down the team by getting his second "strike" for drug use (by the odds, for smoking pot).

As I have said before, I'm certainly not sorry to see him go, and principally because it looks like his drug problem is an irresponsible, "soft" recreational one, I am not going to feel guilty about making fun of him for it, the same way I would a Keon Clark, a Lamar Odom, or a Marcus "Cocaine" Camby...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:
Well, it doesn't look like cocaine abuse was his real problem, so I'm not going to feel bad about making fun of him now. In my opinion, Quincy let down the team by not handling the prospect of competing for his starting job very well, and he let down the team by getting his second "strike" for drug use (by the odds, for smoking pot).

As I have said before, I'm certainly not sorry to see him go, and principally because it looks like his drug problem is an irresponsible, "soft" recreational one, I am not going to feel guilty about making fun of him for it, the same way I would a Keon Clark, a Lamar Odom, or a Marcus "Cocaine" Camby...

Let's be honest though. Whether Quincy would've had a Jon Kitna like season or a season like he had last season, Quincy would've still been gone. They've made it clear that Henson was the future. IMO, you don't trade a 3rd rounder to "look" at a guy.

1996-2005
Old 08-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:

Let's be honest though. Whether Quincy would've had a Jon Kitna like season or a season like he had last season, Quincy would've still been gone. They've made it clear that Henson was the future. IMO, you don't trade a 3rd rounder to "look" at a guy.
I absolutely agree with you there FFM. The deck was certainly stacked against Quincy this season, and the only thing that could have saved him would have been an incredible season and a good playoff showing. If Quincy hadn't been cut, and if he earned the starting job in training camp, he would have had to look over his shoulder at Henson and Vinny all season long...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Quote:

So lifelike....and accurate. It's almost scary. Genius.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Let's be honest here.....the Cowboys traded for Henson because they knew Q-caine sucked ass. Period.

They knew he lacked the mental power needed to run the offense.
His athleticism had carried him as far as it could in Dallas. It is now time for NY Jets fans to lament his lack of talent and mental deficiency.

FFM- you haven't ignored shit. You are just pissed because we were right about Q-caine the dope smoking mental midget.

On a personal level, I hope he realizes his actions hurt his kids. It isn't about Q-caine it is about family. We all know Q-caine has a hard time with putting team before self or he wouldn't be in this jam. Hopefully he can put family before addiction. On a professional level, he can suck ass in another town. Thankfully he no longer infests the Cowboys offense with no talent dumbarse decisions.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I want to see what Q-caine does with a good running back and a good offensive line.... but I probably wouldn't if I were a Jet fan.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

All of the clever cocaine and pot jokes aside, Dooby has a point. Somebody else in the NFL obviously thought Quincy Carter had some talent and ability.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:

Very simple. Vinny wanted a shot at being the starting QB and jets clearly were not going to do that(Chad is just too good). Quincy on the otherhand would play backup to anyone, any team.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Being respected around the league as a potential backup and being evaluated as a starter are two entirely different things. Q-caine is obviously not the latter and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:55 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Being respected around the league as a potential backup and being evaluated as a starter are two entirely different things. Q-caine is obviously not the latter and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.
He was the starter for a 10-6 playoff team last year.

He would be the starter here NOW if not for the whole failed drug test. It was NOT lack of talent that sent him packing.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

He was evaluated as not being the future guy because he lacked talent to be that guy. Otherwise Henson would not be here.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:11 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
He was the starter for a 10-6 playoff team last year.

He would be the starter here NOW if not for the whole failed drug test. It was NOT lack of talent that sent him packing.
He would have had his run for that starting spot against Vinny. Why was he not a clearcut starter even after that 10-6 season? Vinny was signed even before quincy was caught smoking that . Drew was signed even before that. All signals point that Quincy would not have been a franchise QB(at the most a starter for another year if he beat out Vinny).

Old 08-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any of the Quincy supporters ever called him our franchise QB. Conversly, the Quincy haters have talked about him like he was garbage. This is obviously not the case and anyone who still buys into it is clearly speaking out of a dislike for Quincy and/or the posters on the board who have supported Quincy.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
I don't think any of the Quincy supporters ever called him our franchise QB. Conversly, the Quincy haters have talked about him like he was garbage. This is obviously not the case and anyone who still buys into it is clearly speaking out of a dislike for Quincy and/or the posters on the board who have supported Quincy.
Right. I'm not saying he WAS the franchise QB. I've never believed that. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have been the starter here this year if not for this whole scandal.

I know all of the Quincy despisers want to believe that Vinnie (or eventually Drew Henson) would have beaten "Q-Spare" out anyway. Sorry to burst your bubble, because it wasn't going to happen this season.

I used to be as hard on Quincy as anybody. I thought he really sucked. The guy may not be a franchise QB, but he's proven to me that he's good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL. He's not great, but he doesn't suck.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #29
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Q or dislike Q, but he is not a starting quality QB in the league. He is Cordell Stewart or Ray Lucas all over again. He shows glimpses, but they are few and far between. He looks good one game, but is totally inconsistant another.

Yes, he can be a QB in the league, but is best suited if someone would use him as a "player" first, and QB second. Cordell was awesome in the Slash role.........too bad his arrogant head got to him, and made him decide he had to be a QB..........he could have revolutionized the offensive game by providing a way to run options, QB, receive, block, etc. He was versitile enough to do it, but wanted the fame of being a QB. Such a waste of the talent he has.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Bad argument if you're going to try and compare him to Kordell Stewart. Stewart may not have been good enough to win the big one, but he got his team to the AFC Championship game twice in 5 years. He WAS a starting quality QB. And so IS Quincy. Quincy DID start for a team last year -- a playoff team.

Say that he's not good enough to lead a team to a championship. I can agree with that. But saying he's not a starting quality QB is incorrect.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #31
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:

Lower the white strip on his nose about an inch and the picture is flawless.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #32
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road

Any QB that has to endure 3 offensive coordinators over the first 3 years of his career is going to struggle.
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: DCowboysGal
Any QB that has to endure 3 offensive coordinators over the first 3 years of his career is going to struggle.
Carter's going to struggle regardless of how few or how many offensive coordinators he's had to endure. He can be a starting QB at the NFL level, but I don't see him ever playing at a level that's acceptable for a team that hopes to compete for a title. Perhaps the fact that he can be a starter at the NFL level illustrates the lack of depth at that position right now. But, you've got to work with what you have.

That being said, I'm sure he can be a valuable asset as a backup QB in this league.

Good luck Quincy. Stay off of drugs.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
He can be a starting QB at the NFL level, but I don't see him ever playing at a level that's acceptable for a team that hopes to compete for a title.
That's a fair statement, in my opinion.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

One thing..we talk about him being the starting QB on a playoff team last year..well, think abou this: Chan Ho Park could possibly be a starting pitcher on a playoff team. R.A. Dickey could be as well.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:34 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

The Cowboys made the playoffs in spite of Q-caine, not because of him. The glowing fact remains....the Cowboys would not have pursued Henson if Qstanky was their guy. Q-caine is a good athlete with a weak mind. He simply made too many mental gaffes and consistently showed that he was not a playoff cliber quarterback. He is what he is....a good athlete with severe deficiencies.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #37
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
He is what he is....a good athlete with severe deficiencies.
Let him make the rounds for the next few years a la Jeff Blake, Kordell Stewart, Tony Banks. I don't think quincy will flame out - at least not this year.

It is going on three weeks without Quincy. I am done with him.............and starting to drink the kool-aid about Henson.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

I'm just glad he is crushing the emotions of Jets fans now and that we don't have to watch him spare us to death anymore. He was a scrub.

Q-caine is gone. Thank goodness.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Cowboys made the playoffs in spite of Q-caine, not because of him.

This is an awfully easy statement to throw out there. I'd like to hear you argue the case.

This simple-minded, not to mention lazy, kind of blanket statement implies that:

A) Carter's play directly resulted in losses more often than it did wins

AND

B) that this net balance hurt the Cowboys relatively, as compared to the situation on other teams.

On point A... Carter definitely had five or six stinker games. In fact, one thing that people don't always realize when they look at his season stats (17 TD's, 21 INT's) is that the bulk of the negative stats came in a handful of the games. He had six multi-interception games (three games with two picks, and three games with three). Not surprisingly, five of those were losses.

His play in those games definitely contributed to the losses. But realistically, you may not be able to put all the blame on him. (In fact, I remember after one of the games--I think it was Tampa Bay--Parcells commented that Carter "didn't have any help out there.") One of the games was at Philly, another was against the eventual Super Bowl champs, another was against a good Miami team. A fourth came in a meaningless game at the end of the season, a game which had no bearing at all on whether they "made the playoffs."

Still and all, without question he has three or four black marks on the books for those games. But don't make the mistake of not balancing the books against his better games.

In the 10 wins he was 12 TD's and only 6 INT's. He gets credit for a nice game against the eventual NFC champion Panthers. He gets credit for a terrific game (133 rating) on the road at Detroit. He gets credit for hitting the receiver to set up the field goal to win on the road against the Giants. He gets credit for the go-ahead drive to beat Philadelphia. He is not without positive marks in his ledger.

So on point A, it might be fair to say that in most cases they would have lost the QB's bad games anyway, and in most cases they likewise would have won his good ones.

Moving on to point B... The only teams that could have realistically knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs were Minnesota and New Orleans. Duante Culpepper is not without his black marks, either. He had two multi-interception games of his own, both of which where the mistakes proved costly in the form of losses to four-win teams (Giants and Raiders). He had two costly fumbles and surrendered eight sacks in a blowout loss to the Rams. Now, perhaps the Vikes stood no more chance in that game than the Boys did against the Pats, if both teams had enjoyed good QB play. But at least the Cowboys stayed close enough to the Pats to keep it interesting for a while.

Aaron Brooks was considerably less error-prone than either Carter or Culpepper. In fact, he was remarkably close to error-free. But I'm not sure how much his play did to actually win games as opposed to avoid losing them. Outside of the meaningless game to close the season, the Saints didn't beat a team with greater than seven wins.

So when you look at it all, my contention would be that it is FAR closer to the truth to say that Quincy didn't make much of a difference either way. It might be even closer to the truth to say that he helped more than he hurt. Don't think for a minute that the offense didn't play a part in that defensive performance. The plan last year, from game one to the playoff game, was to keep the defense off the field as much as possible. Ball control, ball control, ball control. The offense wasn't going to put up gaudy passing stats, because by design they never had a chance to.

And one other thing. I wouldn't too quickly dismiss the point that Carter played in three different offenses in three years. It would seem that the first two offenses were pretty awful ones, whoever was under center. Do any of those coaches still have jobs? He finally got some good coaching this past year, and certainly you wouldn't deny that he improved dramatically over the years before.

Now, that's my argument. If you disagree, you may very well be right. But I'd like to hear your argue your case, as opposed to throwing out meaningless statements of opinion.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

It's difficult to give Carter too much credit for keeping the defense off the field. The main reason why the defense stayed off the field was because they simply didn't allow many sustained drives. With much of Quincy's success throughout the season coming on deep passes (especially early in the year), it's really difficult to correlate his play as to keeping the defense rested. One of Carter's biggest weaknesses is his inability to consistently make the intermediate throws that move the chains.