Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #441
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's any question that the defense has slipped of late. But if you're trying to project how things will go from here, you certainly can't overlook the disruption caused by the injuries. The team certainly played some high-quality defense through the bulk of the second half tonight, and I don't believe it was nearly as bad as the score made it seem in the first half.

Looking ahead, I do think we'll probably see the Mavs finish the season as a weaker defensive team than they started out being (unless Haywood can keep up his play from tonight, of course). Thankfully, there are a number of reasons to think that they could end up being a clearly improved offensive squad.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #442
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I don't think there's any question that the defense has slipped of late. But if you're trying to project how things will go from here, you certainly can't overlook the disruption caused by the injuries. The team certainly played some high-quality defense through the bulk of the second half tonight, and I don't believe it was nearly as bad as the score made it seem in the first half.

Looking ahead, I do think we'll probably see the Mavs finish the season as a weaker defensive team than they started out being (unless Haywood can keep up his play from tonight, of course). Thankfully, there are a number of reasons to think that they could end up being a clearly improved offensive squad.
You can't overlook it, but I'm also not willing to assume that the deficiencies are based entirely on injuries. We've seen this song and dance too many times for me to think that. I was very reluctant to believe early in the year they were suddenly an elite defensive team, even with Chandler. I'm still reluctant to believe that.

All this being said, I'm much more concerned about the offense than the defense.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #443
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I said there has been slippage, much like last year (when, notably, we didn't have any injuries like the ones you are now blaming).
..... but chandler wasn't even on the team last year. this isn't last year's team. i don't understand how you can make any conclusions based on what happened last year.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #444
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

All this being said, I'm much more concerned about the offense than the defense.
same.

tonight gave us a little hope on that end though. really going to be relying a lot on peja and roddy to make an instant impact, even though the realist in me fears they won't have a significant one
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #445
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
..... but chandler wasn't even on the team last year. this isn't last year's team. i don't understand how you can make any conclusions based on what happened last year.
Read my next post. I don't buy that Chandler alone takes us from iffy defensive team to super-solid defensive team. I absolutely love the guy and I think he kicks the whole thing up a notch, absolutely, but I don't buy it. Haven't bought it all season.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-25-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #446
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

I think all xrobx was trying to say is that it's unfair to compare last year's defensive collapse to this year's slip because this time it's been due in large part to injuries. No doubt the defense hasn't been as good lately, but there's a lot more reason to be optimistic about a rebound this time around.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #447
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

As for Chandler and his defensive impact:

Points in the paint allowed
09/10: 41.6 (15th)
10/11: 40.0 (15th)

Thats why I think the overall defensive improvements were mainly based on team chemistry and mentality and he sets the tone there.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #448
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
I think all xrobx was trying to say is that it's unfair to compare last year's defensive collapse to this year's slip because this time it's been due in large part to injuries. No doubt the defense hasn't been as good lately, but there's a lot more reason to be optimistic about a rebound this time around.
I think it's fair to compare them, because we just don't know yet what will happen. What wouldn't be fair, I think, is to assume blindly that this will continue. I'm very hopeful that they can get the defense fixed, and I think they probably will.

But still, I don't trust this team to give consistent A+ defensive effort. I don't know if even Chandler himself can make it happen. Maybe he can. KG did. But I won't believe it until I see it.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #449
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Where would our offense be tonight without...Tyson Chandler?

Kind of sad that we've reached that point.
Maybe but I am LOVING that they are actually giving chandler the ball down low. He is NOT Haywood and Dampier. He can put it on the ground and he's agile enough to make something. He really should get more attempts...

Necessity is showing him and RC that he can make a diff down there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #450
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think it's fair to compare them, because we just don't know yet what will happen. What wouldn't be fair, I think, is to assume blindly that this will continue. I'm very hopeful that they can get the defense fixed, and I think they probably will.

But still, I don't trust this team to give consistent A+ defensive effort. I don't know if even Chandler himself can make it happen. Maybe he can. KG did. But I won't believe it until I see it.
I doubt that they'll give a consistent A+ defensive effort like they did at the start of the season. But I feel confident they'll at least be able to give a consistent B+ effort, which would be a heckuva lot better than the second half of last season which seemed more like a C- effort.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #451
LonghornDub

Quote:
I doubt that they'll give a consistent A+ defensive effort like they did at the start of the season. But I feel confident they'll at least be able to give a consistent B+ effort, which would be a heckuva lot better than the second half of last season which seemed more like a C- effort.
If they can consistently give a B+ effort while developing a more efficient offense, I like their chances to make some playoff noise. Unless they really get some substantial scoring punch, though, I think it's going to take a constant A+ defensive performance for this team to compete for a title. And like you're alluding to, that's a whole lot to ask.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #452
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
1. The defense began to slip several games before the both Dirk and Caron went down.

2. Last year's collapse could also be blamed on injuries and poor rebounding as well. At one point, Gooden was our starting Center and Eddie was our backup because Dampier was having heart and knee issues. And than their was a stretch where Eddie and Nowitzki were the centers when Dampier and Haywood were injured.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote