Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #41
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Agent: Finley will receive many offers if he's waived

Quote:
And imo, Finley's a piece to their puzzle, but i wouldn't exactly call him a perfect fit. It's easy to say he's a perfect fit b/c they have no 3pt threat, but all the rotation players on that team drive and can hit mid-range shots on a consistent basis. I agree they need a shooter, but also a player with the ability to break down a defense, which Finley can't do.
This appears to be a self contradiction. A) you say that they have no 3pt shooter, but that everyone else in the rotation can break down a defense. This looks like they need a 3pt threat for some balance and then you agree with that. Then B) you say that they need a player with the ability to break down the defense, and that Fin isn't a fit because he can't do that.

so they need 5 players on the floor at all times who can break down the D???? Only one can have the ball at a time. Why do the other 4 have to be able to break down the D as well. What about balance???

Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #42
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Agent: Finley will receive many offers if he's waived

Take a trip down memory lane with me.

2005- San Antonio. Look at the way they run their offense. All of their guards, even Bowen and Barry, make an attempt to go to the basket. Players like Bowen, Ginobli, Barry, even Parker(sometimes) have the ability to hit a three, but they are slash-first-shoot-second players.

2005- Houston Rockets. They have 2-3 spot up shooters at a time. So why didn't they get out of the 1st Round? Because Avery came up with the concept of letting McGrady get his and let the others beat you. Those spot up shooters, eventually, became a liability.

2004- Detroit Pistons. They won the championship with major 3pt threats. Their only real good shooter was Chauncey Billups, who does about 60% of their ball-handling. How did they win the championship? Because they had Rip and Prince, who moved well without the ball to get easier shots, and Sheed and Wallace who can post up or can set themselves up for shots. Also, all of their key players, Guards/Forwards/Centers, had the ability to get offensive rebounds. You don't get offensive rebounds when you're beyond the arc.

2003- see 2005 Spurs.

See the game is not about slashers and shooters, it's about ball movement and player movement.

Quote:
so they need 5 players on the floor at all times who can break down the D???? Only one can have the ball at a time. Why do the other 4 have to be able to break down the D as well. What about balance???
What about balance? Explain to me how having only 1 shooter on the floor is balance. How's that not self contradiction?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote