Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Default Heat, Hawks to replay final minute of Dec. 19 game

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3192421

Hhaha this is interesting...I didnt know thye could do this. They should also replay tht game I think it was Magic vs. some1 and they said the last second tip wasnt good, but it looked good...idk its just new to me

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

the few reactions on the bottom are interesting too

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

It looks to me like 2 teams have to pay for the mistakes of the officials...

It amazes me that hundreds of people are murdered in this country every day and David Stern isn't one of them...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I love how Stern deflects the officiating error to the entire Hawks organization.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Nice of the NBA to slip this piece of news out right before EOB on a Friday before 4 major NFL playoff games, ensuring that talk radio spends almost no time talking about it
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I wonder how much tickets to that minute long game would cost.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really blame the scoring table people. Can you imagine how boring it is to score Miami @ ATL? Bet you'd lose track too.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wow... that's really weird. I didn't know they could do that either.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

wow, that's interesting.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty gross if you ask me. Can we replay the Finals?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
That's pretty gross if you ask me. Can we replay the Finals?
no bro.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the Mavs protested something against Indiana this year and was not surprisingly ignored. This Miami thing is definitely a result of Mr. Donaghy.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

This is incredibly disgusting; there has never been such an obvious bias toward personnel. TJ Ford's made bucket, i.e. two actual points on the scoreboard late in a tight game, mean nothing to the NBA, while Shaquille's (isn't that a girl's name?) presence is the only reason for this do-over.

So will the Timberwolves be able to take a mulligan whenever the league mistakenly claims Mark Madsen fouls out? Or does the player have to be "this good" in order for the protest to be honored?

They're only doing this because it's Shaq. Or maybe even because it's the Heat. This league has zero dignity.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
haha, im wondering too~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
a $50 seat would cost you 95 cents.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-12-2008 at 12:00 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

50 dollars

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the point of this cause it's not like Miami is gonna get in the playoffs anyway
Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

ive never seen anything like this. it makes me think though, why doesnt the nba replace all those worthless scorers who sit courtside with computers? scorekeeping/foulkeeping mistakes shouldnt happen
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't the Lakers and the Spurs replay an ending back in the 80's? The Lakers had won originally but the Spurs took the game in the replay?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I don't see the point of this cause it's not like Miami is gonna get in the playoffs anyway
they just have to flub it up for another minute if they want that lottery ball
Old 01-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

This might get weird. From the Fanhouse:

Some flavor of detail regarding the circumstances in which 51 seconds of a protested December Heat loss to Atlanta will be replayed are surfacing. The Miami Herald passes on word that players marked inactive for the December game won't be eligible be the March affair, and it's possible any players acquired in trades between now and then will be ineligible as well. Jason Williams and Smush Parker were inactive; Atlanta's Josh Smith had already fouled out, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It's going to be one weird minute of basketball.

But it's unlikely it will get as weird as a replayed 1979 game the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Branson Wright relives on his blog.

[T]he most interesting do-over was on March 23, 1979. That's when the Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Nets finished a game that began on Nov. 8, 1978. After the league upheld a protest by New Jersey, the game resumed from the point of infraction -- late in the third quarter.

Eric Money, Harvey Catchings and Ralph Simpson became the first players in professional sports history to play for both teams in the same game ... because they were traded by the 76ers and the Nets before the game was resumed. ... In the box score, Money scored 23 points for New Jersey and four points for the 76ers.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

Quote:
well, they are scheduled to play the hawks anyways today. so they'll have the fans going to tonight's game, just watch the finish of that minute game .. and then they'll play their scheduled game tonight.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

how is David Stern still in power? What a blatant biasedness torwards the heat. I also love how he blames the Hawks for the "problem". I'm not one to say something like this but David Stern should be killed. He is ruining the NBA. Sadly, even when he is no longer commish, he will had probably brain washed somebody else to take his place that is just like him. I hope not though. I hope we get a legit commish that cares about NBA basketball and not just certain teams and players.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On Nov. 24, 2006, the official scorer failed to credit Toronto's T.J. Ford with a basket that would have given the Raptors a late tie and an opportunity to change the outcome of a 97-93 loss.

"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage, as O'Neal -- the Heat's second-leading scorer and rebounder that night -- was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining," the NBA statement said.
Dear Stern,

Nothing impacts the outcome of a game quite the way points do. Including Shaq.

-dirka
Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #25
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one

In the East whree you can make hte playoffs being an under .500 team I wouldn't rule out the Heat just yet.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Eric Money, Harvey Catchings and Ralph Simpson became the first players in professional sports history to play for both teams in the same game ... because they were traded by the 76ers and the Nets before the game was resumed. ... In the box score, Money scored 23 points for New Jersey and four points for the 76ers.
That is so amazingly wild.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #27
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Dear Stern,

Nothing impacts the outcome of a game quite the way points do. Including Shaq.

-dirka
Dear Dirka and World,

Nothing demoralizes a championship-bound team more than missing out on 51 seconds worth of free throws. We, as a free society, simply cannot ignore the shots that are owed to the Miami Heat. After all, you cannot spell "freedom" without the free in free throws. Somehow, in the shuffle of the day-to-day rigmarole, we have forgotten what made this league great: Wade at the line. Over and over again. In the spirit of the new year, this free society must return to what made it great.

-Emperor Stern

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 01-14-2008 at 11:28 AM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
aquaadverse

aquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to allaquaadverse is a name known to all

"how is David Stern still in power? What a blatant biasedness torwards the heat. I also love how he blames the Hawks for the "problem". I'm not one to say something like this but David Stern should be killed. He is ruining the NBA. Sadly, even when he is no longer commish, he will had probably brain washed somebody else to take his place that is just like him. I hope not though. I hope we get a legit commish that cares about NBA basketball and not just certain teams and players."

The scorer ruled Shaq fouled out. Reilly and the stats people informed the scorers of the error, and they refused to change it. The scoring staff are employees of the Atlanta Hawks, who are responsible for their conduct.This is not a subjective issue, it's the ability to count to 6. After the mistake was pointed out with the clear evidence, they still refused.That made it willful and deliberate. Aside from your rather pathetic victimhood going as far as wishing for the death of another human being over a game, I don't understand having problems with it. If the scorer had added 15 points and refused to change it and Stern had ordered the game replayed from that point would that make it easier for you? It's the same thing according to the rules.
aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
That is so amazingly wild.
yeah, that's insane.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaadverse
as far as wishing for the death of another human being over a game

That was me - I want Stern dead... Not so much because of "a game", but because he's a crooked thief (how do you call millions of dollars in sports booking "a game"?) You want "a game"? Eliminate the gambling & the criminal element, then we'll talk about it being just "a game"...

I just want his mafia buddies to tire of him, then wax him...

Also on the hit list:

Paris Hilton
George W Bush
Your Mom (sorry - it's business, not personal...)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-15-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #31
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the scorer had added 15 points and refused to change it and Stern had ordered the game replayed from that point would that make it easier for you? It's the same thing according to the rules.
BS. It's not the same thing. Points >> Shaq.

Did you read the part of the official statement by the NBA I quoted earlier in this thread? Shaq's contribution prior to the incident was stated as the reason for the replay.

The NBA should treat all players equally in executive decisions. You don't declare the significance of an error just based on the theoretical value of the skills of the victimized player. They should assume all players have the same height, the same weight, and the same skills, and they should not assume any player will contribute more than any other.

I am absolutely enraged by this decision. It's not just because of the isolated incident though; I'm looking at it in terms of what happened last year. Toronto WAS denied two actual points they had already earned. When David Stern declared those two points (which would have tied the score with only a few minutes left) were not significant enough to potentially change the outcome of the game, he basically told the NBA that there would be no replays as long as he was commissioner. Nothing determines the outcome of a game as decisively as points do, right?

If the incident with Toronto hadn't happened, or if they had been granted a replay, then this replay would be easier to swallow. As it is, Stern has a lot of explaining to do in terms of his standards for deciding what's worth replaying and what isn't.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-15-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #32
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the scorer had added 15 points and refused to change it and Stern had ordered the game replayed from that point would that make it easier for you? It's the same thing according to the rules.
Emperor Stern denied us our petition when the scorers incorrectly added points for our opponent. Emperor Stern has spoken.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 01-15-2008 at 06:37 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #33
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Can you protest in the playoffs? You'd think the Mavs would've protested the lost seconds in that Finals game...
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #34
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Can you protest in the playoffs? You'd think the Mavs would've protested the lost seconds in that Finals game...
We have decided that the full 1.5 seconds which remained on the final possession was plenty of time for the Mavericks to adjust. The four lost seconds would have made no difference regarding the outcome of a pivotal NBA Finals game.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #35
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
The NBA should treat all players equally in executive decisions. You don't declare the significance of an error just based on the theoretical value of the skills of the victimized player. They should assume all players have the same height, the same weight, and the same skills, and they should not assume any player will contribute more than any other.
You are being awfully narrow-minded here, if not naive. Under what theoretical conditions that you would propose would any player's contribution necessarily be equivalent to every other player's?

What is at play here is a fairly simple concept. To have your appeal granted, you need to show damages--whatever the circumstances of the alleged injustice. I'm certain you recognize this, based on your arguments below, so I don't know why you would try to paint Shaq as the same skill, height, and weight as every other player on the rosters.

Quote:
Nothing determines the outcome of a game as decisively as points do, right?

...Stern has a lot of explaining to do in terms of his standards for deciding what's worth replaying and what isn't.
Again, this is a pretty simple concept. Points score or don't score ONCE. A player who is wrongfully denied participation in the contest can--but does not necessarily, mind you--impact points scored (or not scored) possibly many times over, depending on the circumstances of the injustice.

You are normally a rational thinker, so I can't understand why you are unable to wrap your mind around these concepts.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #36
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Two questions for you, Chum:

1) If you were commissioner, would you have honored the protest like Stern did?

2) If Mark Madsen was the victim in place of Shaquille O'Neal, would you still honor the protest?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

1) Probably not.

2) Probably not.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #38
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

What if Shaq is injured and can't play when they attempt to replay the game?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
What if Shaq is injured and can't play when they attempt to replay the game?

Then the win goes to the Heat by default (no questions asked...)

Afterall, Shaq would have scored 20 points in the last minute - he has a Superman tattoo, so you know he's super!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #40
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
1) Probably not.

2) Probably not.
Good. I agree.

I find it extremely important that these two answers be the same, positive or negative. I know we don't have two real situations with two different players, but the NBA statement sure sounded like the replay was issued due to O'Neal's potential. The fact he was their second highest scorer seemed to be their justification in granting the replay.

I believe the NBA should be consistent across the board. You either give replays to all players in that situation or none of them. The NBA must be unbiased in all situations.

The decisions the NBA makes shouldn't be based on anything subjective. I find the expected contribution a given player will make in the future to be a subjective issue. However, real points on the scoreboard are not subjective. They have already been earned, and have a quantifiable value. Yes, they only count once, but they're still the only thing that counts at all at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if you are the Dream Team; you still lose if you have fewer points than the other squad.

Granting a replay for something subjective and denying a replay for something objective is deplorable.