Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Kirilenko for Marion?

Making slam-dunk sense
Jazz's Kirilenko for Suns' Marion would benefit all involved
October 15, 2007

Finally, an exhibition game to get excited about. Is it possible Shawn Marion and Andrei Kirilenko will be traded for one another at halftime Monday when the Jazz plays the Suns? Could Kirilenko and Marion play against their former teams in the second half? They'd have to pass physicals quickly.

Hard to figure why this deal hasn't happened yet. Here are the NBA's two unhappiest stars this side of Kobe Bryant, and there's good reason for each team to make the deal.

Both teams say there's nothing going on. You have to wonder why.

To digress, Kirilenko and Marion both said they wanted to be traded before training camp began. Kirilenko went so far as to offer to let the Jazz out of the four years and $63 million remaining on his contract if he could return to Russia.

Marion came to training camp and said nothing had changed and he wouldn't discuss it anymore, prompting coach Mike D'Antoni to say: "This is a great time of anyone's life. We've got a great team. Phoenix is probably the best place to live. You make a lot of money (a team-high $16.4 million). I have a hard time getting my mind wrapped around [what's wrong]." Kirilenko also declined to elaborate on why he was unhappy once camp began.

But the Suns were downright complimentary compared with the virtually unprecedented attack on Kirilenko by teammate Deron Williams. He made Bryant's disparaging comments about his Lakers teammates seem like greeting-card sentiments.

Williams ended last season with a barrage that seemed aimed at European teammates Kirilenko, Mehmet Okur and Gordon Giricek. He told a Salt Lake City radio station: "You see (Carlos Boozer) after practice shooting for 25 or 30 minutes. You see Memo (Mehmut Okur) shooting for 20 minutes. You see all the rookies. [Then] you see Andrei being the first one out the door."

Williams admitted refusing to pass the ball to Kirilenko last season: "If he's coming off a screen on one side and Matt [Harpring] is coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're going to pass to? You think you're going to pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym, or are you going to pass to the guy who never works on his shot but yet wants to shoot 'em every time? … Guys don't want to sit across the locker room from a guy who doesn't want to be here."

Kirilenko's explanation: "I'm stuck. ... I don't have a spark."

The teams had some preliminary talks, but the Jazz supposedly wasn't interested, and owner Larry Miller is now saying there will be no deal.

Why not?

The Jazz can extend Williams after next season, and he's emerging as its key player. Miller has said the former Illinois star is in line for a maximum contract. Marion has two seasons left on his deal, a perfect financial segue to Williams' new deal.

And while his Suns teammates like Marion, Kirilenko would be a terrific fit for the team. He's taller, he offers more of a defensive presence inside and he's practically screaming for a milder coach, such as D'Antoni, after putting up with hard-edged Jerry Sloan.

Marion, meanwhile, would give the Jazz an athletic complement to inside/outside big men Boozer and Okur and a defender who can guard a shooting guard, currently a big weakness. Marion could make the Jazz a legitimate championship contender. How could Utah pass up the chance?

The initial hang-up in the talks was said to be the Jazz's lack of interest in backup point guard Marcus Banks, a frequent subject of trade talks.

Marion had 18 points and 20 rebounds in 29 minutes Saturday against the Hornets. He'll continue to play, though this deal makes too much sense for both teams not to happen.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

The Jazz with Matrix would be pretty sick...

I think Deron could really feed him the ball in many of the ways Nash does.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This could actually help both teams. I hope it doesn't happen, it would make the West that much tougher.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Marion>Kirilenko.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I think Utah would get the better part of the deal.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Kirilenko for Terry.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness
I think Utah would get the better part of the deal.
True, but if moving Marion creates a happy locker room in Phoenix they still probably come out okay.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Hope that doesn't happen... makes the Jazz tougher, I don't know about Phoenix. AK is an excellent player I don't know how he fits in their offensive system... I don't think it matters since Nash would make him look great anyways. Yeah... really hoping it doesn't happen now.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

hah this would be fantastic.. it would make the suns MUCH worse.. and it would make Utah good, but not good enough.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

It would make the defense of the Suns much better. Also AK is a way better passer than Marion. I don´t think it will be a downgrade for the Suns and they will get worse.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Kirilenko pretty much sucks though....this article makes it sound like an even trade when it isn't. You're talking about a big drop off in offensive production regardless of how good Nash is getting his teammates involved. Also, who would want someone how doesn't work hard to better their game? If Williams doesn't want to pass to you I don't see Nash just giving out lollipops when he is one of the hardest working pgs.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Marion is the perfect compliment for Williams/Boozer

just like how he is the perfect compliment for Nash/Amare

he's always pissed and whining about being a "compliment" and not the #1 option, it's going to be the exact same story in Utah.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #13
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wow. Both are very similar players with the exception of Marion having the better jumpshot. This is one of those wierd instances where I think both teams end up getting better in the deal.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Kirilenko for Terry.
and while were at you can trade your girlfriend for Eva Mendez...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
and while were at you can trade your girlfriend for Eva Mendez...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated imo.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated imo.
His girlfriend?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-16-2007 at 10:27 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Nash, Kirilenko, Amare, rest of the Suns? Dang!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Trade Bass for AK47, and then trade DJ, Fazekas and Sampson for Nene and Camby

Camby/Diop
Dirk/Nene
AK47/Howard
Terry/Hassell
Harris
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Trade Bass for AK47, and then trade DJ, Fazekas and Sampson for Nene and Camby

Camby/Diop
Dirk/Nene
AK47/Howard
Terry/Hassell
Harris
I'll have to think about it
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'll have to think about it
I know our guard spots are kinda poor, but maybe we could trade Howard for Kobe and Farmar.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote