Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marion: 'Time for me to move on'

Marion: 'Time for me to move on'
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...marion-ON.html

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 09:30 PM
Shawn Marion trade talk is one thing. A Marion trade request is quite another.

Marion is fed up with another summer of the Suns considering to trade him. Marion is irked that the team is not willing to talk about a contract extension. After eight years in Phoenix, Marion wants to leave the Suns and has let the team know in recent weeks.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion, the highest paid Suns player, has two years remaining on his maximum-level contract - $16.4 million for this year and a $17.8 million salary if he did not opt out before the 2008-09 season. He said the Suns' unwillingness to extend his deal is "only a part of why" he wants to leave but would not confirm that he has asked for a three-year, $60 million extension, saying, "The numbers aren't important."

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr declined comment.

There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

In June, there was the possibility of a three-way trade sending Garnett to Phoenix, a Boston pick package going to Minnesota and Marion to Boston with a contract extension but the Marion camp killed it.

"I haven't done anything wrong," said Marion, a four-time All-Star. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. "It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion said he has no problem with any of his teammates but did not want to comment on the Suns staffers, saying, "It's just a bad marriage. I'm not talking about anyone. It's just time for me to go."

He said he has talked to Kerr, Coach Mike D'Antoni and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

There is a strong possibility that no trade occurs this week and Marion is asked to come to work Monday, the mandatory reporting date, and join the quest for a championship.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion said, noting he would show up no sooner than required. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

With Boris Diaw expected to be in today, each Suns player but Marion will be in Phoenix this week for the voluntary workouts. Some, like Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, have been coming into the arena for weeks.

Marion, 29, pulled himself off the USA Basketball roster for a second straight summer this year. He cited the plantar fasciitis in his left foot ("I played all season with that," Marion said Tuesday) in early July, when talk of his dissatisfaction with the lack of extension talks began to surface.

In Kirilenko and Odom, the Suns are looking at versatile forwards with different skill sets and financial factors.

Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with Utah this summer, is a former All-Star coming off a career-worst season, but is a great defender with a knack for shot-blocking. He does not shoot well from the perimeter but is a crafty scorer inside at 6 feet 9 and can run the floor. Kirilenko, 26, is due $63 million over the next four years. That would give Phoenix some instant relief but create later payroll issues.

Odom, who is 6-10 and 27 years old, is a superb passer and good shooter who can play various positions but has been inconsistent, depending on how assertive he plays. Odom has two years remaining on his deal at $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million in 2008-09.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

cool, they will have no one to guard dirk.
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah trading for Kirilenko makes 0 sense money wise. Their issues with Marion are mainly money related.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, where could he possibly go?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Yeah trading for Kirilenko makes 0 sense money wise. Their issues with Marion are mainly money related.
It sounds like more than money.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

discord in Suns-land.......yeah buddy!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
It sounds like more than money.
The point later in the article was to trade for Kirilenko though....something that makes no sense at all for the money conservative Suns.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Why would the Lakers want to trade Odom for Marion? That move would benefit the Suns but not the Lakers. Unless Odom wants out of LA as well, I don't see how this deal would work.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
The point later in the article was to trade for Kirilenko though....something that makes no sense at all for the money conservative Suns.
I meant "more than money" from Marion's perspective.

There must be some putrid team chemistry out there with Stoudemire, Marion, D'Antoni, etc.

Nash is earning his money. And it would be interesting to watch Marion's production without Nash feeding him for layups and dunks.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
Why would the Lakers want to trade Odom for Marion? That move would benefit the Suns but not the Lakers. Unless Odom wants out of LA as well, I don't see how this deal would work.
Strange I totally see it the opposite. I think Marion is a better player than Odom. I think this makes the Lakers slightly better and the Suns slightly worse. Marion is obviously a better fit for the Suns system than Odom would be. So as a Mavs fan I hope this trade goes through.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I think both are good players...but ODOM is a better offensive player and can do more on his own and he is a better passer..while Marion is a better defender and ODOM is pretty good too

IMO Odom>Marion because of his skill set...not by much thou

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I think they are both more valuable where they are (a trade that makes BOTH teams worse)

Marion fills specific needs/holes for the Suns: rebounding and D (imagine what their D would look like without him) while he still manages to fit into their up tempo slashing style offensive game.

Odom is better at court vision and passing, a key skill for bigs in the triangle, but not at all a need for a team that is run by Steve Nash.

Both teams get worse.... get it done!
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Let me be the first to beat this notion into the ground:

The Mavs were never in the Marion race in the first place...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If you trade Marion for Odom--Marion will be not be close to the player he is now because he will not have a creator to get him his shots. Kobe can fill that role, but you know when he is in that Laker yellow, he creates but mostly for himself. Odom on the other hand, he would fit very well with the Suns and their system. Can you imagine Nash resting, letting Barbosa worry about scoring, and Odom handling the ball.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

"It's hurting me in my stomach"

lol
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs were never in the Marion race in the first place
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #17
jcb6386

jcb6386 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
If you trade Marion for Odom--Marion will be not be close to the player he is now because he will not have a creator to get him his shots. Kobe can fill that role, but you know when he is in that Laker yellow, he creates but mostly for himself. Odom on the other hand, he would fit very well with the Suns and their system. Can you imagine Nash resting, letting Barbosa worry about scoring, and Odom handling the ball.
Totally agree - I honestly think this trade would make the Suns a little better offensively (if that's possible) and the Lakers would find out that Marion can't do what he used to because he no longer has Nash feeding him the ball. He could help a little defensively, though, but this is a better trade overall for the Suns.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

This is excellent... the Suns aren't going to get anything good in return for Marion unless it's the Jazz and AK (which would suck... but he wouldn't be as good a fit in their system anyway).

Anyway he is way overpaid... anyone see any takers for him?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Why does he want Batman money? He is robin....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

A Marion for Odom trade is a great deal for both teams. Gives Kobe a legit role player who can give a double double every night and it gives the Suns a point foward type in Odom.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #21
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb6386
Totally agree - I honestly think this trade would make the Suns a little better offensively (if that's possible) and the Lakers would find out that Marion can't do what he used to because he no longer has Nash feeding him the ball. He could help a little defensively, though, but this is a better trade overall for the Suns.
Marion's pre-Nash numbers were pretty damn good. All-star good.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a trade to the Lakers would improve the Lakers tremendously, and hurt the Suns considerably.

Marion is a big part of what makes things work in Phoenix.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

What does Marion make work in Phoenix lol? His presence on the defensive end as far as rebounding, steals and blocks go will be missed but its not like the Suns use defense to win games anyway.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I was thinking. Marion was no slouch without Nash.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #25
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber
discord in Suns-land.......yeah buddy!
woohoo

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
What does Marion make work in Phoenix lol? His presence on the defensive end as far as rebounding, steals and blocks go will be missed but its not like the Suns use defense to win games anyway.
But it isn't like they can forego defense completely. At least Marion brings some semblance of it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If the Suns are smart, they will realize that Nash and Amare are never going to reach their true potential until they get out Marion's shadow. Just let the guy go, Suns, so your stars can get even better!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
If the Mavs are smart, they will realize that Dirk is never going to reach his true potential until they get out of Nash's shadow. Just let the guy go, Mavs, so your stars can get even better!

Couldn't resist....
Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
But it isn't like they can forego defense completely. At least Marion brings some semblance of it.
Exactly. Someone's got to cover up Nash and Amare defensively and Raja Bell can't do it alone. Not that anyone was ever going to confuse the Suns with a good defensive team, but the Suns were actually middle of the pack last year in terms of opponents field goal percentage. Moving Marion would put them back near the bottom and even if your calling card is offense, giving up more points doesn't make you better.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #30
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Why does he want Batman money? He is robin....
sweet. rep rep rep.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #31
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Odom's not even that much of an upgrade on offense. Odom and Marion average around the same ppg. I mean, sure his passing would be nice to have, but it'll come at a cost. The more he has the ball, the less Amare and Nash have it.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #32
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

They could trade him for Joe Johnson?

i don't think either kirilenko or odom have the outside shootinig that really gave marion his offensive niche with nash. odom moreso than kirilenko, but i don't think either is sufficient.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #33
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are overlooking these two factors:

Quote:
Quote:
I think a trade to the Lakers would improve the Lakers tremendously, and hurt the Suns considerably.

Marion is a big part of what makes things work in Phoenix.
Marion's incredible versatility helps Phoenix get away with a lot of things - point guard that can't defend, an incredibly up-tempo system, and Stoudemires injury in 2006. Heck, I know all anyone remembers from Game Six of the 2005 Suns-Mavs series is Dirk's towel throwing and Nash's shot to send the Game to OT, but Stoudemire had fouled out in OT. The Suns were just able to plug Marion right into the pick-and-roll in Stoudemire's place, and they never missed a beat. Marion I think had 35 or 40 when it was all said and done.

And for those who say the Suns don't play defense anyways... The stats don't necessarily bear that out. IIRC, they grade out at least to be an average defensive team, in large part due to the fact that Marion can cover almost any position on the court. Plus, Marion gives them some much needed rebounding needed from a lineup that isn't great at rebounding due to its lack of size.

I don't really see Odom improving the Suns all that much. They basically have poor man's version of Odom who is rotting on the bench in Boris Diaw. Trading for him would render Boris Diaw completely worthless. Moreover, I've always thought Odom was a major underachiever. I guess he can make up for Marion's rebounding, but I don't really see him as being able to replace Marion's defensive versatility.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #34
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns might want to consider a trade to the Lakers involving Marion for Radmonovic and Kwame Brown. Vlade gives them another legitimate 3pt threat and Brown gives them a decent backup for Amare. Brown's salary also comes off the books after this year and Odom seems to be injury prone. Also Radmonovic's defensive prowess fits in perfectly with the Suns' philosophy.

Last edited by purplefrog; 09-26-2007 at 03:34 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #35
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Radmon would be good for run and gun.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #36
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Marion with the Suns is one of the best players in the nba and can he be one of the best players in the nba without a great point guard? He fills ever stat sheet that is known to man. Can he without a great point guard? Marion is one of the best defenise players in the nba and a very good rebounder. Without Marion, can the Suns get any rebounds?

Do not get me wrong, i do not mind seeing him leave because then it is much easier on Dirk and we should get past the Suns easier. Lamar Odom is good and solid but Nash is so blessed to have a man that can jump out of the roof and Marion is so blessed to have Nash. I do not think Odom will run to the rim dunking every other time down like Marion does with Nash. Nash hits him perfectly at the rim. In other areas i feel Odom is very good. Marion seems to never get tired running up and down on offense or defense.

Marion will be much better in the Suns system than Odom in the Suns system, i feel. AK-47 gets up and down the court good on offense and defense and yes he will be dunking alot on the end of Nash passes. Maybe not as good as Marion but lots better than Odom. Odom and Marion gets hot outside alot of times and this is where AK-47 could be lacking some. I feel AK would be good getting up and down in the open court run and gun but can he be consistent on his outside shot?

This could be a huge mistake for the Suns if they get rid of Marion. I also know Nash would make AK and Odom even better but just how good?
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #37
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
If the Mavs are smart, they will realize that Dirk is never going to reach his true potential until they get out of Nash's shadow. Just let the guy go, Mavs, so your stars can get even better!

Couldn't resist....
wicked burn

Last edited by DevinFuture; 09-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.
DevinFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #38
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
You got to remember that he still had pretty good point guards before Nash. He had Maubury when he was dishing out 8-9apg, and i believe he had Kidd when he 1st came into the league.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #39
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Either way Marion leaving the Suns hurts the team and the system.. so I'm all for it.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #40
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
You got to remember that he still had pretty good point guards before Nash. He had Maubury when he was dishing out 8-9apg, and i believe he had Kidd when he 1st came into the league.
He also had a out of control rookie point guard Leandro Barbosa running the team the second half of the season before Nash arrived.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote