Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Question Marbury: On Paper We're a Championship Team

LINK

Marbury: On Paper We're A Championship Team
September 30, 2007 - 10:15 am
New York Post -
The New York Knicks have rather high goals set in place for the upcoming season.

"Our goal isn't to make the playoffs anymore," center Eddy Curry said. "Because I think that should be a given with the talent we have and the coaching we have. I would love to come out of the East."

Those are Curry's first remarks of the offseason during which he was robbed at gunpoint in his suburban Chicago home in July, bolted the Windy City and laid low in Westchester. Curry made the bold statement in a Knicks promotional video, dubbed "The Knick Experience."

"Our team, on paper, is a championship team," Stephon Marbury added recently. "How far can we go? It's going to be decided on us."

Note to Starbury: Just don't use all the paper at once!

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 09-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Crack kills.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

More comical: Globetrotters or Knicks?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

new york liberty can compete w them

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

But unfortunately for Marbury, Championships aren't won on paper.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

IF Marbury were Kobe, and Curry were Shaq, and their supporting cast was worth a dime, yeah-- New York threepeat.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget Randolph... i'm sure he and Curry will be a dominant big man combo, you know, I meant if they played both sides.

Defense wins championships, New York has none in it's frontcourt. I'm sure the 'paper' could have told you that. On that note I am jealous of their possible center offensive production...
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

^^^ In addition to that, the knicks have another problem in that Marbury, Randolph, Crawford & Robinson the knicks have 4 guys who really, really, really like to shoot. That doesn't even count Curry who just might deserve more touches than any of them.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Don't forget Randolph... i'm sure he and Curry will be a dominant big man combo, you know, I meant if they played both sides.
I wonder if they will get along...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #10
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't bat an eye when marbury put us through:

-his weird incestuous talk,
-his proclamation that he was the best point guard in the league,
-his idea that he could get beckham-like publicity if he played in Europe
-he and his cousin soliciting organization members for sex
-his support of michael vick (which i actually found pertinent, relatively speaking)

but i cannot hold my tongue at this. i think knicks PR has literally brainwashed this guy. I mean, their big 4 (marbury, curry, crawford, randolph) are guys who were overrated BEFORE they even came to the knicks, and 2 of their next 4 important players (robinson, balkman) are among the most famous punchlines in the league, and the other 2 (frye, lee) are so buried in the depth chart that they are lost causes.

this franchise is a joke. has olberman made isiah his worst person ever yet? because isiah is this decade's nba's worst person. moreso than jerry buss or kevin mchale. this guy is pissing on kncks fans on a nightly basis. this team is awful, and it starts with management and the stench of isiah just percolates through the entire franchise. [/rant]

Last edited by nowhereman; 10-01-2007 at 03:11 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

.................................................. ............
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
i didn't bat an eye when marbury put us through:

-his weird incestuous talk,
-his proclamation that he was the best point guard in the league,
-his idea that he could get beckham-like publicity if he played in Europe
-he and his cousin soliciting organization members for sex
-his support of michael vick (which i actually found pertinent, relatively speaking)

but i cannot hold my tongue at this. i think knicks PR has literally brainwashed this guy. I mean, their big 4 (marbury, curry, crawford, randolph) are guys who were overrated BEFORE they even came to the knicks, and 2 of their next 4 important players (robinson, balkman) are among the most famous punchlines in the league, and the other 2 (frye, lee) are so buried in the depth chart that they are lost causes.

this franchise is a joke. has olberman made isiah his worst person ever yet? because isiah is this decade's nba's worst person. moreso than jerry buss or kevin mchale. this guy is pissing on kncks fans on a nightly basis. this team is awful, and it starts with management and the stench of isiah just percolates through the entire franchise. [/rant]
Indications out of New York are that the jury is about to find in favor of the plaintiff and will find against MSG and Dolan; jury has been unable to decide whether Thomas will have to pay any damages personally. This is twice in two years, by the way, that the Knicks are starting off the season paying out a big chunk of money to a coach (LB) or a team exec (Brown-Sanders) that Thomas tried to treat like sh*t.

This will be weird to me if Thomas isn't held responsible--the whole inicident is because of him. It will be kind of like when he instigated a confrontation against Bruce Bowen but got off without any league sanction; then followed that up by instigating a brawl with the Nuggets, for which he similarly received no formal league sanctions. If he isn't found responsible for harrassing Brown-Sanders, then I guess he'll feel free to start raping cheerleaders next. I doubt Stern will rock any boats given his weakened position because of the referee scandal, but he should suspend Dolan for (at least) 2 years, and Thomas for 1 year.

And I don't think it's a slam-dunk at all that Curry and Randolph are going to be world-beaters together. They don't/can't defend, and Curry is going to be useless if Randolph sucks up a lot of his low-post scoring opportunities.

Btw, Frye was traded to Portland for Randolph.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 10-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Btw, Frye was traded to Portland for Randolph.
oops. sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the lunacy.

and speaking of lunacy, is anyone else paranoid about zach randolph becoming a PR nightmare for the league in some form this year? by all accounts, he is not the face of mental stability, and some people just aren't cut out for new york.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Ny does actually have great talent tht if it was used the right way it could take them far..but NO

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea they definately have a roster full of pretty good players. Probably the best roster they've had in a decade. Still its all about going out there and winning. You don't get handed a title during the offseason.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
nowhereman
Diamond Member

no! this roster is awful! what are you guys talking about? no defense or rebounding up front, almost no one that can create a shot, and NONE of these players have ever spent any extensive time in a winning program.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

It's a weird roster, for sure. It's like Thomas is putting together a roster by trading bubble gum cards---the players all seem like they are individually skilled players (though most are overrated), but they don't fit together and don't complement each others' skills.

They have a decent rebounder in David Lee, but acquiring Randolph makes it impossible to get Lee into the starting lineup. He will get exposed defensively if they try to put him at small forward, and he really doesn't seem to have any kind of offensive game other than offensive rebounds and garbage points. Maybe he can develop a passable jumpshot, but he looks like a tough player to plug into their mix.

The Randolph trade also semi-exposes another myth about Thomas--that he has a good eye for talent. Frye was supposed to be a sure-fire starter two years ago, but fizzled under Larry Brown, then flamed out under Thomas. He was supposed to be a trade "untouchable", but then Thomas hustles him off for a fire-sale Randolph.

The NYKs are a huge black eye for the NBA--mismanagement, malfeasance, incompetence, illegal behavior--all in a major media market, with a huge basketball fan base. Thomas is a problem, but he isn't the major problem--it's team ownership as constituted by that Dolan dufus. Replace hm (somehow) and problems like Thomas don't even get a chance to materialize.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 10-01-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

they always have talent. remember, through these "tough times", they've been the east... it goes to show it takes more than just talent

Contact Me
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
It's a weird roster, for sure. It's like Thomas is putting together a roster by trading bubble gum cards---the players all seem like they are individually skilled players (though most are overrated), but they don't fit together and don't complement each others' skills.

They have a decent rebounder in David Lee, but acquiring Randolph makes it impossible to get Lee into the starting lineup. He will get exposed defensively if they try to put him at small forward, and he really doesn't seem to have any kind of offensive game other than offensive rebounds and garbage points. Maybe he can develop a passable jumpshot, but he looks like a tough player to plug into their mix.

The Randolph trade also semi-exposes another myth about Thomas--that he has a good eye for talent. Frye was supposed to be a sure-fire starter two years ago, but fizzled under Larry Brown, then flamed out under Thomas. He was supposed to be a trade "untouchable", but then Thomas hustles him off for a fire-sale Randolph.

The NYKs are a huge black eye for the NBA--mismanagement, malfeasance, incompetence, illegal behavior--all in a major media market, with a huge basketball fan base. Thomas is a problem, but he isn't the major problem--it's team ownership as constituted by that Dolan dufus. Replace hm (somehow) and problems like Thomas don't even get a chance to materialize.

I think Isiah is still very high on Frye its just he probably sees Randolph's potential as well. No need for Frye when bringing in Randolph. He would've never gotten the time to develop.

Quote:
no! this roster is awful! what are you guys talking about? no defense or rebounding up front, almost no one that can create a shot, and NONE of these players have ever spent any extensive time in a winning program.
No one said they had a team full of great defenders and rebounders. They have a team full of pretty good players. Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury, Zach Randolph, David Lee, Nate Robinson, Q-Rich, Jared Jeffries, Fred Jones, Dan Dickau, Jamal Crawford and I know they like that Balkman kid they got a year or two ago. I look at their team and they actually have a lot of trade assets. Shocked they didnt' do more trading this offseason but knowing the KNicks i'm guessing all of their players have max deals.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #20
alby
Guru

they are going to make the playoffs
book it

Contact Me
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Verdict: GUILTY