Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warriors' pick prototypical leaders

Nellie thinks outside the box again! Can't wait to see if the Warriors' captains lead their team to a championship or a jail sentence......

Updated: October 4, 2007, 10:36 AM ET

Webster's Dictionary defines a captain as "a person of importance or influence in a field."

Stephen Jackson's past might not have put him in that category, but his future certainly will.

The Golden State Warriors named Jackson as one of its three team captains, along with Baron Davis and Matt Barnes.

"We have great confidence in him as a player and a leader, and I think you'd hear that from most people who have spent time to really get to know Jack," Warriors coach Don Nelson said.

Jackson will start the season with a seven-game suspension from NBA commissioner David Stern. Jackson pleaded guilty in June to a felony count of criminal recklessness stemming from an incident in which he fired a gun outside an Indianapolis strip club during training camp in October 2006. He was also sentenced to 100 hours of community service and fined $5,000.

Jackson, who has been known to argue with officials and was ejected from two playoff games last season, has a past that includes being part of the infamous brawl at the Palace at Auburn Hills in November 2004. Jackson was suspended 30 games for his involvement.

After a playoff game last season where Jackson vociferously complained openly about the referees, the newly appointed captain drew a fine from Nelson. But Nelson said he respects Jackson for his passion and energy.

Jackson, who is sporting a new tattoo, says the ink references his past while looking to his future. The image shows two praying hands in front of a church window holding a gun.

"I pray I never have to use it again," he explained to reporters.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy. He might be a thug, but maybe he really is a "good leader" on the court. I don't think leadership is always directly correlated with off the court activity. Basically, bad people can be good at "leading" too. For example, IMO, Hitler was a horrible person, but he was an effective leader to the Nazis in the things that he did. Of course, I (and most everybody) believe those things were horrendous and should never be done, but he was still effective as a leader amidst his demented goals. The same goes for a terrorist leader: He may do horrible things and set bad examples, but in his people's minds, he is the best leader for the job.

Of course, on the other hand--maybe Nellie is just making a really bad mistake =P

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought that Jackson was one of those players who you hate when he's on another team but love when he's on your own. Kinda like a Deion Sanders or even Nick Van Exel.

I respect his game a great deal. He wears passion on his sleeve while he plays, even if he sometimes has a hard time controlling himself. Yeah, I'd take him on the Mavs anyday. In fact, I've long thought that the Mavs could use a guy like him.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

agreed. I don't like guy because he's a straight up thug. However, the guy is extremely passionate--whether that is wanting his team to win OR wanting himself to win, who knows. Also, it's true that you don't have to be the rah rah guy to lead (that's what Dirk says all the time)--but if you look at the great leaders in the history of NBA. Magic, Bird, Jordan--they all lead vocally as well as with their play. The only player that I can think of that can be said he leads quietly and has been successful is Tim Duncan, and when I say successful--I mean champsionships. Some will say Hakeem did so as well, but if you watch him closely, he got on his teammates big time and while on the court as well. Just my two cents. Go Mavs

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 10-04-2007 at 11:09 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I've always thought that Jackson was one of those players who you hate when he's on another team but love when he's on your own. Kinda like a Deion Sanders or even Nick Van Exel.

I respect his game a great deal. He wears passion on his sleeve while he plays, even if he sometimes has a hard time controlling himself. Yeah, I'd take him on the Mavs anyday. In fact, I've long thought that the Mavs could use a guy like him.

There's no denying he can hurt you. I don't think that anyone here would deny that at all.

But naming him a leader of your team....forget his impressive off court resumé....his demeanor ON the court is juvenile. I don't understand that at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If they name about 9 more captains they won't have an issue.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's probably the case that being a team captain entails more than just on-court behavior--and more to the point, on-court behavior as fans of opposing teams see it. From what I've gathered, Jackson's teammates evidently look up to him and follow his lead. Isn't that exactly what you want from your captain?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

i bet Jackson put a gun in Nellie's face and said "i pray i dont have to use this, NOW make me captain."

i thought baron davis was their leader.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

Last year Baron Davis said on more than one occasion that it was "Jack's team." It actually might be interesting to compare and contrast the Warriors and Mavs in this regard. Davis is clearly their best player, but the leadership came from Jackson.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Stackhouse is our leader IMO. Dirk is our best player.

Contact Me
Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

who is our leader? Im not really sure.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
who is our leader? Im not really sure.

It should be Dirk, but he doesn't want to be a leader - he wants to be a player... Stack seems obligated to step into that role because he's one of the older players on the team & brings a bit of spark into the locker room, but his leadership doesn't always translate onto the court... JET tends to be the biggest factor on-court, but I don't really get the sense that he's "leading", so much as he's "cheering"...

The problem is that none of those 3 has really solidified their position as a leader, therefore the duties fall squarely on AJ's shoulders... Not that a coach shouldn't be leading, but team leadership really needs to come from within - it's one of those intangibles that allows you to overcome Finals and first-round meltdowns..

The person who I'd really like to see step up and lead? Devin Harris... I know he's a long way from being convinced that stars suchas Dirk or Josh would follow him, but if you act like a leader, people tend to follow you... He just needs to build confidence along with some more basketball IQ/court awareness and he'll be in the perfect place to lead (as a play-caller, PG's should be as much a leader for a basketball team as a QB's are for a football team...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-05-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Well, it's probably the case that being a team captain entails more than just on-court behavior--and more to the point, on-court behavior as fans of opposing teams see it. From what I've gathered, Jackson's teammates evidently look up to him and follow his lead. Isn't that exactly what you want from your captain?
Not if he's clapping like a moron and getting technical fouls called on him.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
It should be Dirk, but he doesn't want to be a leader - he wants to be a player... Stack seems obligated to step into that role because he's one of the older players on the team & brings a bit of spark into the locker room, but his leadership doesn't always translate onto the court... JET tends to be the biggest factor on-court, but I don't really get the sense that he's "leading", so much as he's "cheering"...

The problem is that none of those 3 has really solidified their position as a leader, therefore the duties fall squarely on AJ's shoulders... Not that a coach shouldn't be leading, but team leadership really needs to come from within - it's one of those intangibles that allows you to overcome Finals and first-round meltdowns..

The person who I'd really like to see step up and lead? Devin Harris... I know he's a long way from being convinced that stars suchas Dirk or Josh would follow him, but if you act like a leader, people tend to follow you... He just needs to build confidence along with some more basketball IQ/court awareness and he'll be in the perfect place to lead (as a play-caller, PG's should be as much a leader for a basketball team as a QB's are for a football team...)
This is strange...but last night watching Devin intro the rest of the team, I thought I sensed a great deal of leadership coming from him. I know it's weird, but his ease on the court, his willingness to command it all was different from what I've seen from Devin in the past. Sort of like, okay, the team made a big committment to me, now it's really time for me to take responsiblity for the team.

Strange but it was a feeling I had.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #15
alby
Guru

i know you aren't allowed to show up the refs, but throwing baron and sjax out of the game for clapping is pretty pathetic

Contact Me
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thing is with leadership, and the Mavs -- from my experience, most coaches want their starting PG to be the leader of the team.

Reason is -- the starting PG is usually first to start both offensive and defensive sets. Now others can be the "leader", but the starting PG being the leader is the easiest way. This is what Avery saw himself as, and why he is so hard on Harris.

People are hard on Dirk because he is the best player, I understand that one. He is really not the prototypical leader though, and he doesn't have the charisma and attitude for it. This is not a knock on Dirk -- just my perception of the situation.

IMO, whomever Avery sees as the leader, he needs to start him. If that is Stack or Eddie, or Devean or whomever.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, Nellie has always been about the mindgames/mindtricks--we all know this...

SJax is one of the most talented players on the team amidst his uncontrolled passion (that usually transfers into anger). However, if this passion can be tamed or controlled, he could be very effective as a leader.

So in my opinion, it is very possible that Nellie is putting SJax into a position of leadership, thinking that this will basically "tame the beast". If SJax is put in a role of higher responsibility, maybe he will start shaping up--and possibly realize that as a leader, more is expected of you.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

I've said this countless times before and I'll say it again.

The salaries worked, why the F did we trade 'Quise for Cro when this guy was available!?!?!
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote