Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light
Default Marion for JHo?

"An NBA source said the disappointing Heat have been heating up their efforts to move four-time All-Star forward Shawn Marion, who is making $17.8 million in the final year of his contract" - http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

How's that !? Marion can flourish with Kidd here..
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I continue to be confused by people that want to trade Josh for Marion. I realize he can really fly in the open court, but aren't we currently complaining about not having enough players that create offense in the half court?

Our half court offense would get even worse with a swap like this.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Marion can't shoot so I would rather keep Josh
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If we start JET, trading for Marion would be perfect IMHO.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I've said yes to this deal from day one. Shawn Marion is a tool that Jason Kidd would use to make sure the Mavericks NEVER even need a half-court offence.

Not to mention that J-Ho has always kind of made me nervous when he has the ball in his hands.

Last edited by craggmac; 11-30-2008 at 11:36 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Mavs aren't going to do it. They've said themselves they aren't trading J-Ho for someone in the last year of their contract. It's a no-brainer because they could end up without either player after this season.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 11-30-2008 at 11:49 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I continue to be confused by people that want to trade Josh for Marion. I realize he can really fly in the open court, but aren't we currently complaining about not having enough players that create offense in the half court?

Our half court offense would get even worse with a swap like this.
Call me flummoxed. You are thinking that Shawn Marion would do less for our halfcourt offense than Howard does?

Really?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Ben Wallace alert out on Marion. He's a guy whose always played bigger than his frame because of his freakish athleticism. Be wary of those players in free agency.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #9
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

lets say this team doesnt get it done in december and we are somehow around .500 come christmas what will u guys think then?
getting marions expiring contract..
having jkidds expiring contract..
trade dirk at the deadline for expiring contracts and good pics
and u are rebuild without loosing a single season..

as long as donnie, mark and carlisle are still confident we can get it done this year we dont need that trade and it would actually decrease our chances because marion would have to be integrated into the system..
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Mavs aren't going to do it. They've said themselves they aren't trading J-Ho for someone in the last year of their contract. It's a no-brainer because they could end up without either player after this season.
expecting a payday this offseason is pointless. I'd expect him to get josh howard money where ever he ends up, so it may as well be with Dallas.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
MaVs0541

MaVs0541 is on a distinguished road

no how about george stackhouse and wright for marion then yea or maybe terry
MaVs0541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

marion would be great, but when kidd leaves he'll suck
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

When Kidd leaves, he's gone as well. So, no biggie there. Two HUGE expiring contracts = awesome.

Contact Me
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Call me flummoxed. You are thinking that Shawn Marion would do less for our halfcourt offense than Howard does?

Really?
Marion does not create any offense on his own, can't shoot threes and doesn't draw fouls.

He's averaging 12 points per game for a Miami team that is dying for someone to step up and score alongside Wade.

He does FAR less in a half court offense than Josh does.

I'm with Dirno on this one. The separation from D'Antoni's system and the decline of his athleticism are going to cause his production to drop off a cliff. Really it already has, unless he can raise his level of play this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-01-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
alby
Guru

Thig, do you agree that if JET were in the starting lineup, Marion's skills would be better utilized since JET brings you the shooting that Marion lacks?

Contact Me
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Thig, do you agree that if JET were in the starting lineup, Marion's skills would be better utilized since JET brings you the shooting that Marion lacks?
No. Jet already plays the majority of minutes at SG anyway.

Josh is a pretty darn nice finisher in his own right, and his ability to guard 2's (which Marion can no longer do, or is pretty close to not being able to do) helps very much with our small 2 guard.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
alby
Guru

I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you. I'm just trying to cover all sides of this.

The real benefit of acquiring the Matrix is his contract, plain and simple.

Contact Me
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you. I'm just trying to cover all sides of this.

The real benefit of acquiring the Matrix is his contract, plain and simple.
It's certainly the only reason the Heat acquired him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

sure.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

My point is regardless of what we think the Front office thinks Josh Howard is worth more than an expiring contract. They said so themselves when it came to Ron Artest. They'd only do it if Marion signed an extension first. And that comes back to what was said on this thread already, without Kidd after this year then Marion would suck.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 12-01-2008 at 01:29 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Howard is younger and better, plain and simple.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #22
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Only way you make that deal is if you're blowing the whole thing up at the end of this year...and I don't think we're there yet. If we were 2-14, maybe, but this team is playing well right now.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote