Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough
Default Now For Something Completely Different

Impressive win last night. When on, this team can play with the Spurs. One has to wonder if the Spurs were having an off night shooting. Or the Mavs were defending in a way to cause the poor shooting night.

Oberto's rebounds were more fortunate bounces at times. If I were the Spurs, I wouldn't count on this player carrying the rebound load in a series.

But what concerns me, and this is nothing new, is Dirk's insistence on jump shots versus driving to the basket. When he is on, he is a thing of beauty. The guy rains jumpers that barely make a ripple in the net.

But the first half showed what happens when he is off.

While not the most fluid player in the league, he still has the ability to create around the basket. If he would just do this.

I've read here that some think he needs to develope this. I wonder if he has arrived at what he is and there will be no next tier? Maybe this is all he will ever be.

That ain't shabby.

But when his jumpers are clanging off iron, I would be a lot more comfortable if he would work the low post and get some easy baskets until the jumper falls again.

Otherwise, that was a great game.

I'm still concerned about a Spur's team with a full compliment. But then Dallas had players missing.

I don't like to put much stock in injuries. That is usually the excuse of the team that loses.

So we'll see.

But I still maintain having home court is essential. It's down to the short hairs now.

Can Dallas win out and keep the pressure on the Spurs?

It will be a tough game in Phoenix. And relying on the tie with the Spurs is iffy at best. They beat Memphis and Houston, the tie becomes moot.

But last night was an indication this team has a shot in my eyes. We'll see how they stack up against Phoenix next Thursday.

Dallas must win out to have a chance.

After so many games, this is really when the season starts.