Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #121
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Great result. I don't love all the 3s, but you have to be happy that our recipe worked. It's always about the "OTHERS", and they finally played up to their potential.

I'll be bringing back all the magic I can summons for game 5 and and beyond GDT!!

Let's win 2 on their floor.
The Mavs are still due another outlier shooting game, or at least a half if you count the first half of game 2. However, we need it next game. We are going to lose if we don't get one. Although, if we can carry over our early aggressiveness to the rim, then that would reduce the amount of importance on making as many 3's as possible.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #122
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Next game will determine the series. If we can win the next game, then it's game 6 in Dallas in which we will kick their asses. Then it's a crap shoot game 7.

We can do this. I feel like the series has been a dud until last night and not just because we have been losing. You could feel the lack of energy amongst the players and fans. That has changed.

Time to win this in 7.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-25-2022 at 09:04 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #123
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

This ain't over and it wasn't over when we went down 3-0.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #124
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Next game will determine the series. If we can win the next game, then it's game 6 in Dallas in which we will kick their asses. Then it's a crap shoot game 7.

We can do this. I feel like the series has been a dud until last night and not just because we have been losing. You could feel the lack of energy amongst the players and fans. That has changed.

Time to win this in 7.
Totally agree.

Some observations:
  • When you are up 29 points, it is difficult to keep your foot on the gas. I don't think it is surprising that the lead evaporated to some extent. Down to eight points is way too close, but I think you begin to mentally coast and then it is difficult to reengage.
  • The Warriors deep bench is really good. Hopefuly, this is a lesson learned for the Mavs. The GSW have no scrubs.
  • Mavs won with a combination of better 3-point shooting and drives to the basket. That's a good combination, but you need a Plan B if the outside shooting goes south on you.
  • Rebounding was much better. Looney was larginally marginalized with only 6 rebounds and 3 points. Wiggins also came back to earth. Curry only scored 20 points. Better defense by Bullock?
  • Second point about Wiggins and Looney. Why would we expect them to continue to play like Games 1-3 when game 4 is more like their typical game during the regular season? Both were a bit low in game 4, but they were both having an outstanding series up to last night. Regression back to their average performance seems to be likely and not surprising. I expect them to be better in Game 5, but not at the same level as Games 1-3.
  • Mavs just need to find a way to steal game 5. Win ugly if you have to, but just win. Definitely doable.
  • I actually think the comeback by the Warriors helps the Mavs. In two games (2 and 4) they have now seen that no lead is safe. Kidd should be able to use that as a motivator.
  • Game 5 is the critical game. All the pressure is on the Warriors. Not many (any?) pundits expected the Mavs to win this series. If the Warriors lose game 5, the entire outlook on this series changes dramatically.
  • I think it is going seven games.

Last edited by purplefrog; 05-25-2022 at 09:49 AM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #125
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding their 2nd unit comeback. You're going to get more effort and hustle on average by the 2nd unit when it comes to being down 20+ points. They had nothing to lose, so they kept on letting it fly and being aggressive. I'm not too concerned with what that extended run meant in the big picture. We demonstrated that we CAN get to the rim and in the paint vs their 1s. We pushed the ball more giving then less time to set their defense and it made some difference. It's another reason why Luka needs to work hard this offseason to be in championship shape.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-25-2022 at 10:54 AM. Reason: .
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #126
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Don’t see why we aren’t allowed to be a little upset about nearly blowing a 29 point lead. On a basketball forum in the game thread. I’m very happy about the win, this team never lies down.

Aside from that, I feel horrible about what happened. I remember exactly where I was for Sandy Hook and kinda just laid in bed for days watching the coverage. It’s sickening what continues to happen
On a positive spin to it luckily the Mavs were up by 29 points this time as opposed to 19 points like in game 2 because then we aren't even talking about a game 5 I'm guessing.

Much like you I'll take the win but it's awfully alarming that for the 2nd time you nearly blew a huge lead because of the same issues you blew this type of lead in game 2

They lost focus and stopped doing what they did to get the lead in the 1st place.

I simply don't feel good about game 5 on the road like most do but hey maybe after those two situations the Mavs will take that experience like some have said on here and put it to better use in game 5.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-25-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #127
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Again though, if you focus on why we blew the leads versus just that fact that we blew them, then it's not as alarming as you'd think. Warriors are far superior to the previous two teams we faced. They are basically tailor-made for shooting their way back into games. I mean, the NBA is predicated on teams making runs. Not sure why that is so surprising or alarming.

The Warriors are clearly going to be favored for game 5, but getting the sweep monkey off your back will make a difference. Key is to get a lead on them and make them fight back. Hey, if they come back from 20 down to win, then hats off to them.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #128
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Anyone watch NBA Today on ESPN?

There were some interesting impressions by Kendrick Perkins and Richard Jefferson.

They both agreed that both the East and West conference games haven't been as good because teams rely too often on 3's. They said that's the reason why there's been so many blowouts.

Perkins said the other thing he dislike's is players having a wide open lane but refuse to take the layup or easier shot. Said they will drive all the way to the basket have a layup but decide to kick the ball all the way back out to a 3-Pt shooter.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-25-2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Agreed. I think Brunson, Luka, and Spencer should attack and hit those high percentage shots around the basket. Reason they likely aren't doing it is fatigue.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #130
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Moving forward win or lose this series the Mavs really have to stop being committed to playing Dwight Powell it seems at all cost.

Dude is making 11 million a year and giving you 0 points and 1 rebounds in 12 minutes

Then you read some of these other Mavs fans sites out there and there's always someone defending Powell saying he doesn't play enough minutes to hurt the team.

I mean seriously I'd rather they waist those 12 minutes on Josh Green and let him learn for the future as opposed to throwing Powell a consistent bone for empty stats every game.

Mavs are out here playing 4 on 5 offensively & defensively when Powell is on the floor.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:02 PM   #131
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Moving forward win or lose this series the Mavs really have to stop being committed to playing Dwight Powell it seems at all cost.

Dude is making 11 million a year and giving you 0 points and 1 rebounds in 12 minutes

Then you read some of these other Mavs fans sites out there and there's always someone defending Powell saying he doesn't play enough minutes to hurt the team.

I mean seriously I'd rather they waist those 12 minutes on Josh Green and let him learn for the future as opposed to throwing Powell a consistent bone for empty stats every game.

Mavs are out here playing 4 on 5 offensively & defensively when Powell is on the floor.
I don't know man..at his rate of negative impact last night, Josh Green would have seen the lead completely disappear had they left him in for another 2 minutes.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #132
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Powell and Bobans roles mystify me.
Boban is virtually unplayable and Powell brings nothing.
Luka must have something to do with their existence on the team and Powell’s PT.
I see no reason for either to be on the roster next season based on what they have contributed in the POs this year.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'm not sure whether to hate on or praise Kidd for Powell at this point. On one hand, Dwight provides nothing of value on the court. On the other hand, we're 7 wins away from winning it all with him starting. Fascinating.

Wasn't there some vote at the beginning of the season of the top three players, and they chose Dwight to start? Think it was Luka, THJ, and KP.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #134
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm not sure whether to hate on or praise Kidd for Powell at this point. On one hand, Dwight provides nothing of value on the court. On the other hand, we're 7 wins away from winning it all with him starting. Fascinating.

Wasn't there some vote at the beginning of the season of the top three players, and they chose Dwight to start? Think it was Luka, THJ, and KP.
Good point, but then you have to wonder just how good we could be if we had a starter that could rebound, defend, and/or score.
Maybe the 3-1 would be in our favor if we had a starting center that could do just one of those 3 things.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #135
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Btw, Bullock broke the all time Mav playoff record with 50 threes.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #136
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with what you’re saying, but Josh Green was a bad example.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 PM   #137
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Celtics on the verge of the finals. We can beat them.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #138
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Dwight Powell’s one redeeming quality is his hustle and tendency to tip out offensive rebounds. I do agree he is probably the worst starter out of all 16 playoff teams.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #139
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Dwight Powell’s one redeeming quality is his hustle and tendency to tip out offensive rebounds. I do agree he is probably the worst starter out of all 16 playoff teams.
StatMuse

Dwight Powell has 55 points in 16 starts this playoffs.

That's the 4th fewest points by a center with 15+ starts in the last 40 playoffs.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #140
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
StatMuse

Dwight Powell has 55 points in 16 starts this playoffs.

That's the 4th fewest points by a center with 15+ starts in the last 40 playoffs.
Voodoo rituals are a real thing...

Old 05-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #141
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Alright SMC, biggest game since 2011. Let's start this thing.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #142
liqwidhalo

liqwidhalo has a spectacular aura aboutliqwidhalo has a spectacular aura about

Mavs need to keep driving to the basket and not settling for too many 3 pointers.
liqwidhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #143
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Mavs can't get rattled by the occasional run by GS. They need to expect the home crowd to go overboard whenever it happens. Stay focused and stay the course. Bring this damn series back to Dallas! Let's go.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #144
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqwidhalo View Post
Mavs need to keep driving to the basket and not settling for too many 3 pointers.
Unless they are making them otherwise they wont score as much. Wish we knew how they were going to shoot in advance.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #145
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

No GDT yet... but some news? The Extender will referee the Mavs game tonight...

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/
Old 05-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #146
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I guess EL or someone start it. I already jinxed us, so it can't be me.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #147
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies. But let's fn goooo

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote