Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #81
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< what song was in ice age? send me on my way? >>

Yup. It is like the only song in the movie. It is played in the middle of the film and over the closing credits.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #82
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Barbara Cook--Mostly Sondheim

This ol' girl can still bust the vocal moves. Still a great voice at 74 years old.

Saw her perform last night at Lincoln Center--still whistling the tunes.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:31 PM   #83
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

thread killa, what would be the best Refused album to start with.
I have a tape with a couple of tracks, and 5 or so MP3s. I really should buy something of theirs.

My list of what needs to be bought NOW is very quickly building up. New Trans Am album came out in May &amp; new Sleater-Kinney last week. Both a BIG MUST.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 07:08 PM   #84
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

trail of dead is awesome! my friends band(secret machines, formerly known as UFOFU, formerly known as tripping daisy) opened for them at a show in Austin a few weeks ago, i got to hang out with them for the rest of the night and it was a blast.
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:39 AM   #85
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

Veruca, that is the only Refused album that I have. I actually put the wrong title in there. It is &quot;The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombation In 12 Bursts.&quot; It is a very interesting record. Some of the best hardcore I have heard.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:29 AM   #86
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I was a little surprised when I 1st heard International Noise Conspiracy, they seemed a bit tame, well maybe tame isn't the word...bit more pop/indie based than Refused...who as you said, are hardcore.
That said, I like TINC more so now.
Have you heard the Hellacopters?

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #87
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

OK, it's starting to get like Mavstalk in here (18 and under).

You guys that think you are talking punk with bands like Refused, Hellacopters, TOD, and INC? None of the above is true and it pisses me off that these bands try to claim that it is. Punk is dead, has been for years. This stuff...call it new punk, trance, hardcore industrial, whatever...but it ain't punk.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:57 AM   #88
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Greenday was legitimate punk. So was Social Distortion. The brief popularity of Greenday was a logical outgrowth of the early success of grunge, before it turned to crap.

I know punk. I saw Punk. Social D was punk. I saw them at the old Sportatorium in Dallas. Scariest concert I ever went to. The Screaming Trees opened-they sucked.

BTW, in about an 2 hours, the new Dixie Chicks will be spinning in my CD player.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:24 AM   #89
threadkilla

I haven't heard of the Hellacopters.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:25 AM   #90
threadkilla

This morning Miles Davis - LIVE EVIL
Old 08-27-2002, 10:49 AM   #91
Nellie
Golden Member

Agreed Dooby. Social D is one of the best live bands I have ever seen in terms of the atmosphere created and the fans response to it. Definitely intense. Throwing beer bottles in the pit, hot girls showing there boobies, fights at the bar...now that is punk, and all happened at the Social D show.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:10 AM   #92
Dooby
Diamond Member

But the skinheads, and not the peaceful ska lovin' ones, I am talking the neo-nazi goosestepping ones, scared the crap out of me.

Old 08-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #93
Nellie
Golden Member

<< But the skinheads, and not the peaceful ska lovin' ones, I am talking the neo-nazi goosestepping ones, scared the crap out of me. >>

No doubt. The kind that you won't see at an International Noise Conspiracy show.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #94
threadkilla

Rockers HI FI - DJ Kicks
Old 08-27-2002, 05:06 PM   #95
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< OK, it's starting to get like Mavstalk in here (18 and under).

You guys that think you are talking punk with bands like Refused, Hellacopters, TOD, and INC? None of the above is true and it pisses me off that these bands try to claim that it is. Punk is dead, has been for years. This stuff...call it new punk, trance, hardcore industrial, whatever...but it ain't punk.
>>

Wow you really are a music snob.
This is new punk, listen to it before you comment on it. It's not Offspring, it's not Green Day (I nearly choked on my breafkfast cerial when i read them refered to as real punk) it's not Sum 41.

You want to talk real punk, fine lets talk about the Stooges, lets talk about Television lets talk about how Richard Hell was the very essence of punk. Lets talk about how the Sex Pistols were the 1st manufactured boy band.

The only way this place is going to turn into mavtalk is when people start bitching at others, even if they're carrying a relevant, friendly conversation.
I was really starting to enjoy this thread.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-28-2002, 09:15 AM   #96
Nellie
Golden Member

Why are you taking my comments so personaly Mr or Mrs Salt? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How old are you? If you are a fan of punk, which is sounds as if you have some knowledge, then you should know what I am talking about. I have listened to every band you have mentioned. Call me a purist but I don't observe terms like &quot;new punk&quot; with any credibility. The good days are over, a punk fan ought to know this.

I was joking with the Mavtalk comment. Nobody is as bad as those guys.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 AM   #97
Dooby
Diamond Member

Ska's better than punk.

Old 08-28-2002, 12:02 PM   #98
Nellie
Golden Member

I was listening to Hepcat just this morning Dooby.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:13 PM   #99
threadkilla

I could nail you for the same bs about Ska music that you laid on me about punk. Have you ever listened to the Skatalites? or Toots and the Maytals? Does your knowledge of Ska start and end with the 90's?

The Specials? The Selector? Madness? Do you know what Ska really is? The truth is it is all of the above and the new stuff. Same with punk. I saw Bad Brains in 1986 and the Clash in 1983. I listened to the Circle Jerks and Black Flag when they were releasing records.

It is annoying when people act like they know so much. So if you do, then tell me about the origins of Ska music....
Old 08-28-2002, 01:50 PM   #100
Nellie
Golden Member

How old are you?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:26 PM   #101
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< I could nail you for the same bs about Ska music that you laid on me about punk. Have you ever listened to the Skatalites? or Toots and the Maytals? Does your knowledge of Ska start and end with the 90's?

The Specials? The Selector? Madness? Do you know what Ska really is? The truth is it is all of the above and the new stuff. Same with punk. I saw Bad Brains in 1986 and the Clash in 1983. I listened to the Circle Jerks and Black Flag when they were releasing records.

It is annoying when people act like they know so much. So if you do, then tell me about the origins of Ska music....
>>

One, I didn't call you out. That was not me.

Two, do you want me to start in Jamaica or England? I don't know everything. And some of what I know I admit I have never heard. My personal knowledge of ska begins and ends with the 90's, Yes. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone back and listened to earlier stuff. I always considered the Clash to be punk, but in retrospect, you are probably closer to the truth. What I do know is that punk, reggae and rap all came from ska.

Big Specials fan. Does that count for something?

Old 08-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #102
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

right now...

Amanda Marshall - Everybody's Got A Story

track 07 - sunday morning after... is just fantastic !!!

Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:16 PM   #103
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Wow, nothing sparks a debate like music. Let's talk about which is the one true religion next! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #104
threadkilla

I was calling Nellie out. I was going to ignore his tirade about punk rock, but when he mentioned the Hepcats as ska I had to say something. The Hepcats are to ska what Refused is to punk.

The point is all music comes from somewhere, and complaining about the validity of any of it is ludicrous.

The Specials are a great band btw.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #105
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< I was calling Nellie out. I was going to ignore his tirade about punk rock, but when he mentioned the Hepcats as ska I had to say something. The Hepcats are to ska what Refused is to punk.

The point is all music comes from somewhere, and complaining about the validity of any of it is ludicrous.

>>

So, do you admit that I am a genius? I know music. I know movies. I know history, law and politics. I know the Mavs. I am a genius. Hoorah!

Old 08-28-2002, 05:21 PM   #106
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< Why are you taking my comments so personaly Mr or Mrs Salt? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How old are you? If you are a fan of punk, which is sounds as if you have some knowledge, then you should know what I am talking about. I have listened to every band you have mentioned. Call me a purist but I don't observe terms like &quot;new punk&quot; with any credibility. The good days are over, a punk fan ought to know this.

I was joking with the Mavtalk comment. Nobody is as bad as those guys.
>>

Sorry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I do know what you mean.
If you don't like them, I'll forgive you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
New punk sucks.
But i classify 'new punk' a bit different from you.
Doesn't matter...

Oh....and it's Miss.

Listening: Bikini Kill - CD Version Of The 1st two records.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-29-2002, 09:15 AM   #107
Nellie
Golden Member

<< The point is all music comes from somewhere, and complaining about the validity of any of it is ludicrous.

>>

Hepcat (singular) not the hepcats, two totaly different things.

Hepcat (singular) is old-school, jamacian roots kinda stuff predating the British variations of Rocksteady and Two-tone. Ska has raggea roots that eventualy merged with british styles when jamacians came over to the UK and joined the working class.

I love the Specials too.

BTW, I wasn't mad earlier. I was demonstrating the punk spirit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We all like the same stuff.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:19 AM   #108
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Bought

Texas To The Bone: Volume 1
Cow Here This!

This morning. Both are great CD's. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:44 PM   #109
Dooby
Diamond Member

Not a single chick on that record. Are they telling me Trish Murphy isn't petter than 1/2 of that crap?

Old 08-29-2002, 01:58 PM   #110
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

earlier this morning... cake - prolonging the magic

in my car right now... DMB - Busted Stuff

just ordered the strokes and the new coldplay

oh, and nellyville for my girl.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:50 PM   #111
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hey BBL, let me know about the new coldplay, I've been thinking of picking it up...loved the last album they did!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:43 PM   #112
veruca salt
Platinum Member

listening: Sweet Revenge - Bangs.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-30-2002, 09:07 AM   #113
Nellie
Golden Member

-The Hives
Old 08-30-2002, 04:20 PM   #114
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Tool - opiate
Filter - the almagamut
Old 08-30-2002, 05:01 PM   #115
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I like your tastes just 2111, right now I've been listening to 'short bus' by filter and 'lateralus' by tool.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:15 PM   #116
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

irontoad
short bus is raw, and probably their best cd, you hear almagumut yet?? its alright, still to many softer songs

anthing by tool ROCKS
Old 08-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #117
irontoad
Golden Member

Nope, just have short bus, never heard anything later really, but I love that album. Yeah, anything by Tool kicks ass, it's really too hard to name a favorite album of theirs for me. Have you ever heard of the band Neurosis? I definitely recommend them. Their album &quot;through silver in blood&quot; is their best, in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #118
Just211
Platinum Member

never heard of them, but i'll check it out on KaZaA
Old 09-03-2002, 11:41 AM   #119
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Cesaria Evora-Cafe Atlantico
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:06 AM   #120
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Loreena McKinnett - Mummers Dance
Celtic Twilight
Gordon Lightfoot
Enya
Lonestar

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here