Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't guess there was any more point to be made that wasn't made before. The dad had a hardon for guns, and as a result his kid ended up dead. I'm sure if you asked the dad, you'd fiind that that was the only salient point.
I'm sure the Dad's greatest issue is, as you pointed out, the death of his son. But, I bet he is also concerned about the legal charges against him and the others involved.

You just can't outlaw stupid. Stupid happens anyway...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

There is something else I "get out it". I enjoy the history of the weapons. I enjoy studying the history surrounding the weapons.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
There is something else I "get out it". I enjoy the history of the weapons. I enjoy studying the history surrounding the weapons.
Yeah, and you get a big fat hardon the more deadly those weapons get.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, and you get a big fat hardon the more deadly those weapons get.
No. As a matter of fact, the opposite is true. I enjoy collecting the weapons of liberation. For example, the German K98 Mauser bolt action rifle is the best bolt action rifle ever constructed and every modern bolt action is a copycat of the advances of the German rifle. The Mauser men were geniuses. Their guns were great.

But, I don't own any German Mausers marked with original German stamps. I own several K98 Mausers that were "captured" by other countries fighting for liberation. The "capture" Mausers were "sanitized" which means that the Nazi stamps and deadheads and Eagles were all buffed/ground off. Then, the weapons were stamped by the capturing country as their own. Millions of those guns were captured and held in storage to be used against Germany (or any other invading country) for the future. As the history of warfare moved away from the bolt action gun in favor of semiautomatic (and later fully automatic) weapons, the storage of the bolt actions guns were liquidated with a high percentage of those guns sold to the ever eager and willing US market. So, the K98 Mausers that I own (and there are many of them) are all historical examples of defiance of the Nazi movement.

So, Chum, the opposite is true.

Last edited by wmbwinn; 12-07-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
You just can't outlaw stupid. Stupid happens anyway...
And people die when "stupid" gets combined with guns.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
People die a lot more when stupid gets combined with cars. Do you give people that collect super fast cars this much of a hard time?

Get over yourself. People are allowed to be interested in things that you yourself are not interested in.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
People die a lot more when stupid gets combined with cars. Do you give people that collect super fast cars this much of a hard time?

Get over yourself. People are allowed to be interested in things that you yourself are not interested in.
Super fast cars? People dying? Big issue? Sorry, dude. You just managed to make no kind of sense whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Super fast cars? People dying? Big issue? Sorry, dude. You just managed to make no kind of sense whatsoever.
Classic Chum. My post made perfect sense but let me explain it to you.

Many, many more people die when stupid meets cars than when stupid meets guns. So my question was, do you make fun of big time car guys that spend all their time getting their cars as fast as possible.

They also serve no tangible, beneficial purpose, other than to drive at dangerous speeds.

So my question is, do you hold those guys in the same level of contempt that you apparently do guys that collect guns?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Classic Chum. My post made perfect sense but let me explain it to you.

Many, many more people die when stupid meets cars than when stupid meets guns. So my question was, do you make fun of big time car guys that spend all their time getting their cars as fast as possible.

They also serve no tangible, beneficial purpose, other than to drive at dangerous speeds.

So my question is, do you hold those guys in the same level of contempt that you apparently do guys that collect guns?
You aren't making any sense. You are comparing souped-up car deaths to gun deaths?

What the hell are you thinking?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You aren't making any sense. You are comparing souped-up car deaths to gun deaths?

What the hell are you thinking?
Come on Chum, you're not this dense. Cars kill way more people than guns? Right?

You're making fun of gun collecting. I'm pointing out that other hobbies servie no tangible benfit other than to interest the hobbiest, and some could even be considered as dangerous.

This is not rocket science.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
People die around "stupid" in all situations.

People die around "stupid" drunk drivers in completely legal cars (see Ted Kennedy). People shoot their own leg (Plaxico Burress) when they are stupid and drunk. Stupid people cause problems everywhere.

Tags
freaky voodoo > guns, guns