Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return to TX

I am excited to report that I recently accepted a position just north of Dallas and will be moving my family once again. I am thrilled to be back home (spent 27 years in TX and the last 2 in Nashville) but I worry that my bills might double due to the close proximity of some of my favorite sports franchises.

The purpose of this thread you ask? What, I can't just pass on some good news to people I have been talking to for up to the past 7-8 years? Yeah, well, there is something... Does anyone have any recommendations regarding areas of Sherman/McKinney to avoid? Areas to look into? We haven't decided exactly where we will be living (the position is in a smaller town about an hour northeast of Dallas) but those are the two most likely cities.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of highway construction in McKinney right now (mostly along 75), so the traffic is kind of a mess, but it should be smooth sailing once they're finished.

Are you looking to buy or rent (or rather, are you looking for long-term or short-term housing)?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Melissa, the town just north of McKinney along 75 is nice. Good school system, etc. Lots of newly developed land. Of course it has no grocery store yet, which is a pain.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 02-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
There's a lot of highway construction in McKinney right now (mostly along 75), so the traffic is kind of a mess, but it should be smooth sailing once they're finished.

Are you looking to buy or rent (or rather, are you looking for long-term or short-term housing)?
I own two houses now, so starting out I will be looking to rent. That said, as soon as my wife finds a job (she is a teacher certified Pre-K through 4th) we will be able to purchase a 3rd home and will proceed with doing that. So initially the plan is a 6-month lease that will turn into another purchase (other 2 homes will be rented out as investment properties). The question would remain true for both purchases and rentals though. I don't want to stay 6 months in a place that isn't safe (daughter turns 5 this weekend and son turns 3 in 2 months).
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
Melissa, the town just north of McKinney along 75 is nice. Good school system, etc. Lots of newly developed land. Of course it has no grocery store yet, which is a pain.
Yeah, we have considered this town among many, many others (Trenton, Whitewright, Howe, Bells, Denison, etc). Not sure how it will all play out at this point but we will be looking all around that area for options. The two options that most stand out are what I listed above (Sherman/McKinney) but that all might change once we visit the towns and look at the areas.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends in Dennison (outside of it anyway), and Sherman.......and I like that area quite a bit.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found Plano and points north such as Allen and McKinney very nice places.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 02-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I just moved back to Texas myself! It's good to be home.. I was in Phoenix last year and traveling throughout the country most of the year before.

Why the specific interest in northeast Dallas? I live in Hurst-Euless-Bedford in the middle of DFW. I love this area very much. Easy to get around to anywhere in DFW, but still has a good smaller suburb feel.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
Why the specific interest in northeast Dallas? I live in Hurst-Euless-Bedford in the middle of DFW. I love this area very much. Easy to get around to anywhere in DFW, but still has a good smaller suburb feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
(the position is in a smaller town about an hour northeast of Dallas)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-08-2011 at 04:07 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
So I bet it gets awkward when your friend's girlfriend is named Melissa and you're asked where you live...

Last edited by tcat075; 02-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back to Texas!

I hear that Deion's place in Prosper is for sale. Great square footage, on lots of land. You should look into it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
So I bet it gets awkward when your friend's girlfriend is named Melissa and you're asked where you live...
Bwahahaha...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Welcome back to Texas!

I hear that Deion's place in Prosper is for sale. Great square footage, on lots of land. You should look into it.
Thank you, thank you...

Yeah, um, that place is a piece of shit. I am looking for something a great deal better than that ratty barn.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I just moved back to Texas myself! It's good to be home.. I was in Phoenix last year and traveling throughout the country most of the year before.

As thiggy eluded to, the reason is that my job isn't in Dallas. If I wanted to drive 2 hours with traffic everyday to work then sure, I could look at some of those places, but I prefer to stay within a 45-minute commute.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I have friends in Dennison (outside of it anyway), and Sherman.......and I like that area quite a bit.
Nice to know... Any areas better than others to your knowledge?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Nice to know... Any areas better than others to your knowledge?
I don't know the area that well, and my friend lives about 3 miles from Dennison. In general I like the whole area there, but I personally would get outside the city limits anywhere I went. (This is a personal thing).

You might check out Bonham -- it is small and laid back. Maybe even Celina -- it was a cool place to be in the early 70's (I lived there as a kid). I know Celina is growing like a weed now though. Went through there a few years back and it was 3 times larger.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't know the area that well, and my friend lives about 3 miles from Dennison. In general I like the whole area there, but I personally would get outside the city limits anywhere I went. (This is a personal thing).

You might check out Bonham -- it is small and laid back. Maybe even Celina -- it was a cool place to be in the early 70's (I lived there as a kid). I know Celina is growing like a weed now though. Went through there a few years back and it was 3 times larger.
PM sent.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

We love where we live, but we could be tempted to move to McKinney... If it didnt increase my husband's daily commute. Why McK over Sherman? I'll tell you, so that you can decide if what we value in a hometown fits what you guys would value. I grew up in small towns and rural areas, and it is now important to me to not have to drive "far" (relative to each of us) to get to anything - grocery stores, health food mart, airports, friends & playdates, American Airlines Center, entertainment venues, churches, libraries, farmers mkt, preferred doctors, mall & shoping (tho I avoid such shopping as much as I can, personally, not my thing). I love that McKinney also has a historic district and the Heard Wildlife Museum, people from all types of backgrounds, yet many parts have a great small town feel. I dont know how schools compare between the two cities, but have only heard good things about McK's. I dont know anything about the towns in between either. A lot has changed since I was a college student occasionally driving into DFW from NE Texas. Sherman still seems waaay too far out for me, personally.

A lot of construction in McK is finished, and what is left is at least on a schedule as far as I understand. I think anything north of it on 75 could end up with major construction in the yrs/ decade ahead.

You could consider if you guys have any special wishes when it comes to pediatricians or family practice docs. The wholistic types seem to like a certain pedi in Frisco (who also specializes in helping/ curing kids on autism spectrum and with a few other chronic issues) and an Family Practice in McK (they like others, but these 2 both take some form of insurance, so people drive from pretty far away to see them).

We have gone driving around Celina & Prosper, and they are really nice places - growing. I see a lot of residents drive in to the bigger "get to everything".

I hope some of this helps. Id be happy to share more, if you have any specific questions. Renting is the best idea IMO because it really helps to get a feel for the area before commiting to a school district, commute, community, etc.

Congrats on returning to TX! I hope the transition goes smoothly for each of you. When will yall make the move?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It all sounds like BFE to me. But congrats on coming back to the greatest place in the world.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
It all sounds like BFE to me. But congrats on coming back to the greatest place in the world.
Nah... you don't get to BFE till you get to the other side of San Angelo. I think San Angelo is the edge of the earth, and if you go any farther west, you will just fall off somewhere out there.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nah... you don't get to BFE till you get to the other side of San Angelo. I think San Angelo is the edge of the earth, and if you go any farther west, you will just fall off somewhere out there.
I've been West of San Angelo....you are correct.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

pretty awesome Dan. Good luck and good work. I'm kinda planning to move back to dallas in a few years. Still living and working in the wash. DC area. My girlfriend is about to start grad school, so I'm thinking i might do this in 2-3 years or so.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

First of all, thank you all very much. I will look back on this when it becomes time to purchase but we decided to rent for a year. We decided to rent in Anna (small town of about 5,000 people that is roughly 15 minutes from McKinney) due to price/options/house preferences. We are excited and we move around the 12th of March.

Thanks again for your input here.