Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #441
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
It probably also eliminates one team potentially trading for Wes. Skin was on the radio earlier saying the Pelicans could have been a potentially suitor for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why would the Mavs trade for Boogie's expiring without any guarantee that he'd re-sign? We're not in win-now mode, so basically we'd just be giving Matthews away... Was NO going to attach a pick or something? Seems like they could do better.
Where in BPo001's post does it mention the Pelicans offering Boogie to the Mavericks for Wes Matthews?

Pelicans starting 5 for last night's game

PG Rondo
SG Jrue Holiday
SF E'Twaun Moore
PF Anthony Davis
C Boogie

If you're the Pelicans, which position would you look to improve first? If it's me, I'd take a look & ask myself is Wes Matthews better than E'Twaun Moore? If I think he is, then I wanna find out what the Mavs will accept for Wes Matthews.

If I'm the Mavs, I wouldn't consider anything less than Frank Jackson & the Pelicans' first round pick this year.

What BPo001 was saying is now that Boogie is done for the year the Pelicans have no use for Matthews.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #442
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would the Mavs trade for Boogie's expiring without any guarantee that he'd re-sign? We're not in win-now mode, so basically we'd just be giving Matthews away... Was NO going to attach a pick or something? Seems like they could do better.
They were saying NO might trade for Wes. Not Wes for Boogie. Pelicans were looking like they were going to finally make the playoffs and having someone like Wes could have helped them advance to the second round. That would be huge for. Franchise that hasn't been relivant for the last decade.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #443
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Man I feel for Boogie — we probably won’t see him until 2019. Not to mention as a traditional center coming back from an Achilles I don’t see him having the stamina and speed to keep up with a contending team. Hell, Wes just now started hitting threes again.

Going to be interesting to see what the Pelicans do. If I’m them I see if I can sign and trade Boogie to the Lakers for Deng, Kuzma, and a 1st round pick.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #444
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Probably an insane counterfactual/hypothetical, but...

If NO calls and asks for out first rounder this year for Davis, do you do it?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #445
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Probably an insane counterfactual/hypothetical, but...

If NO calls and asks for out first rounder this year for Davis, do you do it?
For Davis? They can call the Celtics and get two lottery picks, Jaylen Brown or Tatum and other assets for him
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #446
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They were saying NO might trade for Wes. Not Wes for Boogie. Pelicans were looking like they were going to finally make the playoffs and having someone like Wes could have helped them advance to the second round. That would be huge for. Franchise that hasn't been relivant for the last decade.
So were the Pelicans going to trade their first for Wes? Not that it matters now, just curious -- hadn't heard that rumor.

But I did hear plenty of rumors about Cleveland trying to get Boogie, which isn't happening now either. That leaves Wes as one of the best options left for Cavs if they're looking to improve this season... So the Cousins injury closes one door, but opens up another one much wider.

EDIT: Looks like NO is still interested in acquiring talent, moving the conversation to the Trade Deadline thread: http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...96#post1430696

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-27-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #447
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Grizz going full tank.

Michael Wallace: Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace announces in email moments ago to MVP season-ticket holders that Mike Conley will require season-ending surgery “to smooth a small bone protrusion” in his left heel. Conley is expected to make a full recovery ahead of training camp. – via Twitter MyMikeCheck
Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #448
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah 10-15 Games before The end of the end of the season Gasol is going to have some fake season ending injury
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #449
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
So were the Pelicans going to trade their first for Wes? Not that it matters now, just curious -- hadn't heard that rumor.

But I did hear plenty of rumors about Cleveland trying to get Boogie, which isn't happening now either. That leaves Wes as one of the best options left for Cavs if they're looking to improve this season... So the Cousins injury closes one door, but opens up another one much wider.

EDIT: Looks like NO is still interested in acquiring talent, moving the conversation to the Trade Deadline thread: http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...96#post1430696
It wasn't really a rumor, but more just Skin throwing around ideas. I think it was NO 1st and a few of their bad contracts. Possibly the right to swap picks next year too or something. I can't remember exactly. Cleveland and OKC were other potential suitors for Wes.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #450
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Roberson just went down for OKC. Patellar tendon rupture? Hate to see that but
I’ve said it before... I think Wes would be a huge upgrade for them.
Much more reliable on offense and still very good defender.
Not sure what they have to offer though...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #451
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thunder allready traded their 18 and 20 1st....
Old 01-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #452
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Thunder allready traded their 18 and 20 1st....
Yep, Timberwolves have OKC's pick this year.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #453
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Terrence Ferguson, all day. He’s better than a first round pick. Not sure how we’d make salaried match. Also not sure they’d even do it
Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #454
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Terrence Ferguson, all day. He’s better than a first round pick. Not sure how we’d make salaried match. Also not sure they’d even do it
I like this idea, but the salaries don't really work. Matthews is making $17.8 mil this year. I'm not sure how a mid-season trade impacts the salary cap, is the current year's salary prorated?

Thunder only have a couple guys they could deal that would make sense. Kyle Singler, but he's only making $4.6 mil this year. Alex Abrines too, but he's only making $5.7 mil & if the Thunder trade him & Ferguson, then they don't have anyone to back up Wes at SG. Patrick Patterson is making $5.1 mil this yr, but he's their starting PF, and they only have old man Nick Collison to back up Patterson. Doesn't really help them to upgrade their SG spot at the expense of their PF spot.

Unfortunately, the Thunder don't really have any bad contracts they need to dump.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:54 AM   #455
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I like this idea, but the salaries don't really work. Matthews is making $17.8 mil this year. I'm not sure how a mid-season trade impacts the salary cap, is the current year's salary prorated?

Thunder only have a couple guys they could deal that would make sense. Kyle Singler, but he's only making $4.6 mil this year. Alex Abrines too, but he's only making $5.7 mil & if the Thunder trade him & Ferguson, then they don't have anyone to back up Wes at SG. Patrick Patterson is making $5.1 mil this yr, but he's their starting PF, and they only have old man Nick Collison to back up Patterson. Doesn't really help them to upgrade their SG spot at the expense of their PF spot.

Unfortunately, the Thunder don't really have any bad contracts they need to dump.
Yeah it would take a third team or something but they don’t even have any other assets really. I think it’s moot because I think they hold on to Ferguson unless someone calls and offers a real difference maker. Kid looks for real
Old 01-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #456
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Yeah it would take a third team or something but they don’t even have any other assets really. I think it’s moot because I think they hold on to Ferguson unless someone calls and offers a real difference maker. Kid looks for real
It's probably a lot like the Cavs with their Brooklyn pick too. Unless the Thunder know for sure PG13 is resigning with them, really hard for them to trade his apparent heir to the throne on the wing.

Edit: On the other hand, if PG13 does resign with OKC, then prying Ferguson away from the Thunder is probably very doable.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 01-28-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #457
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

WOJ BOMB

@wojespn: The Clippers and Pistons are engaged in serious talks on a deal centered on All-Star forward Blake Griffin, league sources tell ESPN.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #458
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Aaand apparently a deal is done.

@wojespn: The Clippers have agreed to a deal to send Blake Griffin to the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell ESPN.

@ShamsCharania: Sources: Clippers, Pistons are finalizing a deal that would send Blake Griffin, Willie Reed for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and a draft pick. Multiple players involved have been informed of deal.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #459
Underdog

Wow, that deal seems outta left field.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #460
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Aaand apparently a deal is done.

@wojespn: The Clippers have agreed to a deal to send Blake Griffin to the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell ESPN.

@ShamsCharania: Sources: Clippers, Pistons are finalizing a deal that would send Blake Griffin, Willie Reed for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and a draft pick. Multiple players involved have been informed of deal.
Details in:

@wojespn: The Clippers and Pistons have agreed on a deal to trade Blake Griffin for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, a first-round and a second-round draft pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #461
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Details in:

@wojespn: The Clippers and Pistons have agreed on a deal to trade Blake Griffin for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, a first-round and a second-round draft pick, league sources tell ESPN.
Clippers blowing it up, DeAndre only one left standing. Funny how that works out 3 years later.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #462
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Clippers blowing it up, DeAndre only one left standing. Funny how that works out 3 years later.
No, DeAndre. You can't come to Dallas now. We have a new DeAndre on our minds just like we got another Dwight when he spurned us.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-29-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #463
sefant77
Guru

Bahahaha Blake....enjoy Detroit

Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #464
saclare
Platinum Member

Detroit got fleeced, IMO. That Griffin contract is HUGE for a player I do not think worthy of it. He is a very good player, but limited, IMO. He can't be THE guy and that's what that contract demands.

The 1st round pick thrown in was apparently 1-4 protected until 2021 then straight unprotected. I don't get this trade for Detroit while I can see why Clippers would do it for sure.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #465
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yep, Timberwolves have OKC's pick this year.
With Roberson lost, that pick might get a little better.....but probably not bad enough to get in the lottery without a tank job....which allows the Wolves to keep it in 2018.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #466
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Detroit got fleeced, IMO. That Griffin contract is HUGE for a player I do not think worthy of it. He is a very good player, but limited, IMO. He can't be THE guy and that's what that contract demands.

The 1st round pick thrown in was apparently 1-4 protected until 2021 then straight unprotected. I don't get this trade for Detroit while I can see why Clippers would do it for sure.
With Van Gundy in charge on both levels, you'd imagine it's a pure basketball move, can't really see it as a basketball move. You are 3 games out of a pretty competitive 7-8 spots in the standing, giving up something that can amount to a lottery is a bit risky. You give up your top 2 scorers, for a good piece, if you're a Piston fan, you got to hope that SVG knows something about Reggie Bullock and Stan Johnson that we don't know, because those 2 will probably benefit the most minutes wise without Harris/Bradley.

From a box office perspective....sure get a few lookiloos.....but boy you finally open up your new arena to 80% capacity on average....I can't see Griffin as the piece that helps you sellout the remainder of the season.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #467
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

I guess I shoulda known this was a cursory leak by SVG to drive up Avery's value......before he pulled the trigger.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...avery-bradley/
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #468
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
With Van Gundy in charge on both levels, you'd imagine it's a pure basketball move, can't really see it as a basketball move. You are 3 games out of a pretty competitive 7-8 spots in the standing, giving up something that can amount to a lottery is a bit risky. You give up your top 2 scorers, for a good piece, if you're a Piston fan, you got to hope that SVG knows something about Reggie Bullock and Stan Johnson that we don't know, because those 2 will probably benefit the most minutes wise without Harris/Bradley.

From a box office perspective....sure get a few lookiloos.....but boy you finally open up your new arena to 80% capacity on average....I can't see Griffin as the piece that helps you sellout the remainder of the season.
Should also allow Kennard to see more action, one would think.

But that pick will likely convey as a lottery this year. I just dunno why the Piston think they get better on court with this one.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #469
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Should also allow Kennard to see more action, one would think.

But that pick will likely convey as a lottery this year. I just dunno why the Piston think they get better on court with this one.
Blake, that's pretty much it. From the outside looking in, it was a futile attempt. Desperation? SVG's 5 year contract expires after the 18-19 season, so without an extension, he's a lame duck heading into this offseason. 1 playoff berth in his first 3 years and might as well chalk it up to a 4th.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #470
BPo001
Diamond Member

It's a star driven league and Detroit hasn't had one in a while. Maybe they hope Griffin can help lure another star to join him? Not really sure what the Clippers plan is? Obviously they appear to be starting a rebuild. I have no idea what either teams contract situations look like though.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #471
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
It's a star driven league and Detroit hasn't had one in a while. Maybe they hope Griffin can help lure another star to join him? Not really sure what the Clippers plan is? Obviously they appear to be starting a rebuild. I have no idea what either teams contract situations look like though.
Maybe, but Griffin is a jerk. Not a lot of stars like him now.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #472
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I guess I shoulda known this was a cursory leak by SVG to drive up Avery's value......before he pulled the trigger.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...avery-bradley/
It seemed to have the opposite effect. SVG got straight fleeced!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #473
mac222b
Diamond Member

Why couldn’t we hire Jerry West? We got...one month of Cesar Rosas

Last edited by mac222b; 01-29-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #474
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Maybe, but Griffin is a jerk. Not a lot of stars like him now.
Well...that was their brand new arena at opening night...

Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #475
Underdog

@TheSteinLine: The Clippers clearly believe they can make it onto LeBron James' free-agent short list come July and, according to league sources, will indeed move DeAndre Jordan and Lou Williams before the Feb. 8 trade deadline if they can find workable deals to help them in that quest

Last edited by Underdog; 01-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #476
sefant77
Guru

lol...sure...Lebron is going to choose the eternal loser franchise when he could also the Lakers together with PG
Old 01-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #477
mac222b
Diamond Member

It’s not impossible. If they can clear cap they can get PG and trade the draft picks. Agree though it’s a lot less likely

Last edited by mac222b; 01-29-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #478
mac222b
Diamond Member

But fully expect the front runner of all front runners to go to Houston
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #479
mac222b
Diamond Member

Knicks with an outside shot
Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #480
BPo001
Diamond Member

Last edited by BPo001; 01-29-2018 at 09:38 PM.